Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Id love to tidy up that Type S, i'd say it'd come up a treat. Some car for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    MjNlODBhOWFhZTkyMTBjMjU3ZDVjYzQ2Mzk2Mzc1ODJvb734tjvYBKhlA9B-sJK1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDk4MTA2MzR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

One of the worst adverts I've seen on Donedeal when it comes to description!
    Leaving that to one side, this has NCT until January next year and I'm guessing there aren't even a handful of 156 Ti's left running in the country at this stage
    If this was running any way right, it's got to be worth the asking price all day long
    Listed at €650

Nearly bought one of these many years ago in this colour and trim but the seller changed his mind. I imagine most examples these days are pretty rough. The ad inspires no confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Id love to tidy up that Type S, i'd say it'd come up a treat. Some car for the money.

Pity is a bit far from dublin...
    New fron tyres and arch,maybe discs and pads and for 1k you have a top car

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

However bad the black paint looks in the pics, it’ll be way worse in the flesh. It’s a hoor of a flat black.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    However bad the black paint looks in the pics, it’ll be way worse in the flesh. It’s a hoor of a flat black.

Yeah also the interior wear & tear should be major...

• Advertisement

Thankfully the interiors wear very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Babyladyzoda

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Chape tax Hyundai i30 diesel.

Once it's not making noises going into reverse, this is probably the least risky cheap diesel you can get, No DMF, no DPF, and well built.
    This one is reasonably well specced too

1 owner in Ireland (it's a UK import), and sold by a dealer, so some semblance of a warranty probably applies.

At the risk of sounding stupid, what is a DPF or an DMF?

Why should they be avoided?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Diesel particulate filter (prone to clogging)
    Dual mass flywheel (prone to failing)

Both circa €1000 to fix usually

Diesel particulate filter (prone to clogging)
    Dual mass flywheel (prone to failing)

Both circa €1000 to fix usually

Big oof. Fair enough. So the older i30s don't have it. Ok cool

2006 honda accord 2l petrol

1250 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/20803185

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Is that tape all over the front passenger-side wheel arch? Wonder what that's hiding...
    The plastic trims on Hondas always fade really badly, something like this would sort it back to looking new. Then onto the interior....

YWU5ODNiZDQ2YWJlOGJjMGI5NTUxYzVhMjllYmMxNGOwZnP2ohTVy4apn6pKcmXdaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDk5MTk1MTV8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is that tape all over the front passenger-side wheel arch?

YWU5ODNiZDQ2YWJlOGJjMGI5NTUxYzVhMjllYmMxNGOwZnP2ohTVy4apn6pKcmXdaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDk5MTk1MTV8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

It is indeed, it's holding the grey plastic strip on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

No such thing as sounding stupid
    Asking questions is how we learn ;)

A DMF in a car is a dual mass flywheel. This is basically linked with the clutch and a lot of modern diesels use them to eliminate/suppress vibration, but the downside is they can be quite costly to repair if they give problems.

A DPF is a diesel particulate filter. Again, after a certain year, MOST diesel cars are fitted with them to reduce emissions even further than previous engines. The main issue with them is if the car is not getting long drives, they can become choked up as the DPF is not reaching temperatures high enough and long enough to burn off the carbon deposits it traps inside

[EDIT]Doh!! Maybe next time I should look and see that there is another page of replies already answering the question before I reply!!!!! :eek:[?EDIT]

It is indeed, it's holding the grey plastic strip on.

The clips on the arch trims break and then the arch trim hangs off. Even catching a mudflap on something is enough to tear the trim off.

This particular part is quite expensive from Honda and not readily available used because it’s different to the non Type S trim.

It’s quite easy to keep the plastic looking good. The likes of Polytrol is great for it.

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    No such thing as sounding stupid
    Asking questions is how we learn ;)

A DMF in a car is a dual mass flywheel. This is basically linked with the clutch and a lot of modern diesels use them to eliminate/suppress vibration, but the downside is they can be quite costly to repair if they give problems.

A DPF is a diesel particulate filter. Again, after a certain year, MOST diesel cars are fitted with them to reduce emissions even further than previous engines. The main issue with them is if the car is not getting long drives, they can become choked up as the DPF is not reaching temperatures high enough and long enough to burn off the carbon deposits it traps inside

[EDIT]Doh!! Maybe next time I should look and see that there is another page of replies already answering the question before I reply!!!!! :eek:[?EDIT]

I appreciated the explanation. Are there any other older diesel that avoid this issue or is it all diesels older than 2009/2008

It varies from one manufacturer to another, the Euro emissions standards determined when DPF's were introduced etc, although some manufacturers had introduced them before they were actually a requirement. Dual mass flywheel on the other hand is not so much a requirement, but a "refinement" that different brands introduced in various models.

Realistically, you're looking at around 2005 and earlier as diesel cars that are "relatively straightforward", but the best thing to do is post here if you have any cars that you are unsure of and there is plenty of people here willing to help and advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Another NCT pass just now for my 03 bangernomics Corolla. Hup.

2004 scenic diesel very low mileage

650 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/20809830

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    2004 scenic diesel very low mileage

650 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/20809830

Says one owner, last time it was bought was 3/7/08

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

This isn't a bangernomics but spotted it while looking for a bangernomics. I was thinking of spending around 2k (ie bangernomics) but for an extra 1k to get a much younger car, much nicer looking than average, and good tax, does it make sense?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/11-ford-mondeo-nctd-and-tax/25199614

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

con747 wrote: »

He probably means he bought it with his own money and didn't need the wife to chip in.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

newboard wrote: »
    This isn't a bangernomics but spotted it while looking for a bangernomics. I was thinking of spending around 2k (ie bangernomics) but for an extra 1k to get a much younger car, much nicer looking than average, and good tax, does it make sense?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/11-ford-mondeo-nctd-and-tax/25199614

Woefully underpowered engine for a car that size. Those are a PSA derived unit and not the most reliable. If you want a diesel Mondeo, do yourself a favour and get a 2 litre.

almostover wrote: »
    Woefully underpowered engine for a car that size. Those are a PSA derived unit and not the most reliable. If you want a diesel Mondeo, do yourself a favour and get a 2 litre.

Thank you. I'm not looking for any make/model in particular, just want something that looks smart and will be reliable and somewhat economical to run.

con747 wrote: »

Could be an import?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Pretty sure the 2.0 and 2.2 are PSA derived too. The 2.0 is definitely a step up in reliability but the 2.2 is a bit problematic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Pretty sure the 2.0 and 2.2 are PSA derived too. The 2.0 is definitely a step up in reliability but the 2.2 is a bit problematic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

newboard wrote: »
    Thank you. I'm not looking for any make/model in particular, just want something that looks smart and will be reliable and somewhat economical to run.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-honda-accord-2-2cdtisportnct-11-20clean/25173080

This might suit you so......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭TigerTim

ZmVlNjVkYjNkMGNhMDE3ODcwNGJiN2YzNWFmOTU3OWQqkgURv3kIRJbf8aHo_prTaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDkxMzg0NDZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

As much as I detest the photos on this advert, it would be worth a look if anyone is looking for an estate
    2006 Volvo V50 2 litre diesel
    Taxed until the end of the year and NCT until February 2021
    Folder of receipts including timing belt and a decent set of tyres also
    Price is a bit strong though. Would be a nice buy at maybe 1250
    Asking €1500

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement