Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

ZWZkNTkwMmY3NmQwZWMxOTAyZjQ0MmNhMmFiY2M3N2Fb1qh8-1ynj0o6LzPodrycaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTA1NTkwMDN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

2006 Peugeot 407 1.6HDi estate with 200k kms
    Yeah I know it's a 1.6HDi. yeah the bodywork looks rough as ****, but it has NCT until November
    Big roomy bus for anyone needing something like it
    Genuinely 1 owner from new and full service history also and it's actually quite clean looking inside
    Asking €525. Surely has to be worth it if you could drive it home for about €450??

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

kalkat2002 wrote: »

Tax isnt far off what it was on the old system, but will put a lot of people off. If it's in good condition, then it's good value. The 8v multijet is pretty bullet proof and the 4x4 is a handy bonus for winter.

I definitely would!
    Love to try one of these some time, or even the Fiat Bravo with the 1.9TD engine just to see what they are like

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    I definitely would!
    Love to try one of these some time, or even the Fiat Bravo with the 1.9TD engine just to see what they are like

Nice house in blesso lakes...with a mx5 parked there...looks genuine seller...go Mike !!

• Advertisement

YjlhYTVlZWJiOGI3MWNlOTlhYzExY2QwNjU4NGZmNTTBc9ABxgeBcc_jbl1QWUxMaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTA0MjU5MTl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice 2002 Maxima with the 2 litre V6 engine
    NCT until October
    109,000 miles
    Very few of these left on the roads any more
    Asking price is €1050

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Love that Maxima!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Tzardine wrote: »
    1998 Toyota Starlet. New NCT and almost a years tax left. Would probably get it for sub €500.

Could clean up well.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1998-toyota-starlet/25251801

QB82alf.jpg

So this car sold, and the new owner has it relisted for 4 times the price.

Which way to the dreamer thread?

rODcr8p.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/toyota-starlet-nct-06-20-tax-05-20/25270227

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I sold a car once and a few hours later it was up for sale at a higher price. The ad was only up for a few minutes and the guy called and came to my house an hour later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Good old fashioned capitalism.

Guy advertises car another guy buys car and advertises it at a higher price to make a profit.

Maybe second guy will make some money, maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

So tax is out, test is out ... and somehow it's worth 4 times what it was bought for? That's some serious optimism!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

Add says same owner for 15 years but was last sold on the 14/07/2014

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is better manual gearbox for a vtec engine?

Rgds

In my opinion, yes, I had a manual one for 8 years.
    The auto on the hatchback is a manual box with actuators on the clutch and gearbox.
    Saloon uses a regular torque converter auto box
    Hybrid uses a CVT.

So 3 completely different type of autobox on the same generation model.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 HelmsDeep

Heading off this week to check out this car
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-fabia-combi-ambiente-1-2-estate/25242869

Looks very genuine, and reasonably priced compared to other estates that old.
    It's not the Laguna/Fluence I was looking for, but it's suits my needs perfectly at the moment, with the extra space/roof racks.

Does anyone have any thoughts/things to look out for?

HelmsDeep wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-fabia-combi-ambiente-1-2-estate/25242869

It's not the Laguna/Fluence I was looking for, but it's suits my needs perfectly at the moment, with the extra space/roof racks.

A bit further away and Nct just up but afaik these are ok, others can give their opinion to let you know. KIA CEED ESTATE 2011 €1650 https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-ceed-estate/25270534

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

HelmsDeep wrote: »

Appears to be a fairly honest car from an honest seller but to be blunt that engine in them is sh1te. Soft and very under powered.

It's also quite dear considering it's an old design on a 06 plate and its silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

con747 wrote: »
    A bit further away and Nct just up but afaik these are ok, others can give their opinion to let you know. KIA CEED ESTATE 2011 €1650 https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-ceed-estate/25270534

That NCT was up last year ;)

wonski wrote: »
    That NCT was up last year ;)

Tired eyes :) missed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    ZWZkNTkwMmY3NmQwZWMxOTAyZjQ0MmNhMmFiY2M3N2Fb1qh8-1ynj0o6LzPodrycaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTA1NTkwMDN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

2006 Peugeot 407 1.6HDi estate with 200k kms
    Yeah I know it's a 1.6HDi. yeah the bodywork looks rough as ****, but it has NCT until November
    Big roomy bus for anyone needing something like it
    Genuinely 1 owner from new and full service history also and it's actually quite clean looking inside
    Asking €525. Surely has to be worth it if you could drive it home for about €450??

That's a bargain all day long, I never had any meas in them but a sister of mine had one the same age for 10 years and put up not far off double that mileage without a bother.

I'm talking non mechanically minded sister, goes for fuel and occasionally the local mechanic advising drop it in the next time your off for a day or two and we'll change the oil and filters.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

2005 honda civic 1.6 petrol

1350 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/20886856

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

almostover wrote: »

Thats nice, but the tax will be too painful for most i suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

2005 honda civic 1.6 petrol

1350 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/20886856

Brother had one of these. Immensely practical. Very thirsty on petrol though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d say that’s a bit overpriced but they’re quite a good car. Youd want to be getting it for €800 seeing as new model Civics can be had for less money and are a far superior car (independent suspension superiority nonwithstanding)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭younggalway

Well folks, after 8 long months I managed to sell my Leon and escape my PCP (See older thread). Im now looking to join the bangernomics brigade for 6 months before moving abroad, well hopefully if this second wave doesn't materialise.

Realistically I should be looking at a fiesta/yaris type thing to keep costs low for the next few months however I can't bring myself to do it. I've decided to look for something auto/petrol as I don't do big mileage and the car will mostly be used for short trips around Dublin city. With this in mind, I'm due to look at 2008 Volvo S60 2.0t Automatic next week. It looks to be a clean example and has recent service/new brakes and tyres etc. so hoping it should be trouble free for me if I go ahead with it. Timing belt(or is it cam belt?) has been done too. I know they are a heavy yoke and suspension bits can give issues but wondering if anyone has any experience with one? Is there anything else I should be looking out for? Are they as heavy on petrol as I have read?

Must say I'm looking forward to driving a bangernomics but I will miss the security of driving a new car so hoping to get something without too many known reliability issues.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Well folks, after 8 long months I managed to sell my Leon and escape my PCP (See older thread). Im now looking to join the bangernomics brigade for 6 months before moving abroad, well hopefully if this second wave doesn't materialise.

Realistically I should be looking at a fiesta/yaris type thing to keep costs low for the next few months however I can't bring myself to do it. I've decided to look for something auto/petrol as I don't do big mileage and the car will mostly be used for short trips around Dublin city. With this in mind, I'm due to look at 2008 Volvo S60 2.0t Automatic next week. It looks to be a clean example and has recent service/new brakes and tyres etc. so hoping it should be trouble free for me if I go ahead with it. Timing belt(or is it cam belt?) has been done too. I know they are a heavy yoke and suspension bits can give issues but wondering if anyone has any experience with one? Is there anything else I should be looking out for? Are they as heavy on petrol as I have read?

Must say I'm looking forward to driving a bangernomics but I will miss the security of driving a new car so hoping to get something without too many known reliability issues.

Thanks in advance.

Don't leave out Saab either.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Mz-M1-Nj-I3-Mjk2-Nj-U4-MTg0-Zj-Y0-Mj-A2-ZDk4-Nz-My-ZWU2-NTJrfbx78b9n7-Lo-M-Zlb-Ol-E0a-HR0c-Dov-L3-Mz-LWV1-LXdlc3-Qt-MS5hb-WF6b25h.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-9-3-aero-ttid/25275894

08 TTiD aero 93 wagon
    Same owner since october 2014
    Test till February
    155k miles on the clock
    Turbos supposedly replaced at some point
    Looks very well imo
    Asking €2200

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Thanks in advance.

Thay will be heavy on petrol. But any car driven in the city will be in the same ballpark to be fair. As long as you do few miles you should be grand.

I know *some* volvo autoboxes have faults, but I've a feeling the S60 should be ok. (Might have been just the XC90)

Just make sure it's got a long NCT.

2003 volvo v40 petrol

Tax just out

350 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/20896108

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Mz-M1-Nj-I3-Mjk2-Nj-U4-MTg0-Zj-Y0-Mj-A2-ZDk4-Nz-My-ZWU2-NTJrfbx78b9n7-Lo-M-Zlb-Ol-E0a-HR0c-Dov-L3-Mz-LWV1-LXdlc3-Qt-MS5hb-WF6b25h.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-9-3-aero-ttid/25275894

08 TTiD aero 93 wagon
    Same owner since october 2014
    Test till February
    155k miles on the clock
    Turbos supposedly replaced at some point
    Looks very well imo
    Asking €2200

What is the mileage/time interval for changing the timing belt and water pump on these TTiD Saabs?
    Looks like the owner got it done shortly after he got it.
    From the photo - it looks like it was done 50k miles ago / 5 years ago.
    Anything else major to watch out for on these?
    When do clutches tend to need replacing on the 180hp version - would you expect one with 150k miles to be on its original?

MtM

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement