Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It's the one I wanted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

bear1 wrote: »
    It's the one I wanted :(

Was it sold recently before you could buy it?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Was it sold recently before you could buy it?

No it was up for 2.2k a few days ago but I'm not in the country till next Thursday.
    Seeing as he's dropped it 700e im assuming it will be sold before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo-st-2-2-saloon/22878116

N2YzZWY3Nzc3ZjQwYjRmZjJjNzcxNDk4NTA0MTBkYzhl9rroFfAJT-u1hDoA3vY-aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzE3OTg0NTd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice looking diesel ST, NCT till February 2020, €1k

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1999-toyota-corrolla-1-3/22839113?campaign=6

YzNlZDRhOWEyYTViNDAyOGYwYmJmNWYwZTQzZmExOWMsyJ-wUBKiaihv3hf5e1buaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzE1MjA2ODd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Or if you're looking for something a easier on the tax, NCT till August 2020 on this nice looking Corolla saloon, €599

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

bear1 wrote: »
    No it was up for 2.2k a few days ago but I'm not in the country till next Thursday.
    Seeing as he's dropped it 700e im assuming it will be sold before then.

Keep the faith.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Keep the faith.

Wrote to him yesterday, seemed a nice chap but said he has quite a few viewings this week so he will let me know if it goes before then.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

So everyone likes it when someone posts a successful bangernomics story, so thought I'd give my updated situation.

First up, the outgoing champion:

489915.jpg

This pic was taken in Jan 2012, as I made my way home from picking her up. An '01 318 Ci that I got for €1,800. The tax of €190 every quarter was a killer, but she has served me well over the last near 8 years. I did have to replace some parts here and there, including replacing both window regulators myself, but she never let me down. Unfortunately the recent NCT pulled up some front suspension issues that were just not worth putting the money into.

Next up is the new contender, taken at the same spot on the way home:

489916.jpg

A pretty standard '07 116i, but with a nice set of alloys. Although the price tag of €2,200 is technically not a qualifier, she has tax until March '20, saving me over €300, which puts the true cost at €1,900.

I've been looking for a 1 or 3 series that could replace the old one, but to find this gem was pretty unbelievable. The chap who sold it was doing so on behalf of his daughter and he serviced it himself every year. Not only that, he had a spreadsheet of all the original servicing and his servicing, including dates, mileage, when pads or tyres were replaced, even bulbs. The guy was an absolute legend and was very proud of the car he was selling, I don't think you could get a better seller.

The bodywork is near pristine, bar some bumper corners that I am going to do some DIY respray work on. The interior inside is also spotless and I don't think a child has seen the inside of it thankfully. My insurance has reduced slightly, and when I do start paying the tax, it will also be €45 a quarter cheaper. The best part and as a mark of character of the man, he hands me €50 luck money back and tells me to fill her up!

• Advertisement

Nice one!

What are you going to do with the e46?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Nice one!

What are you going to do with the e46?

Currently up for sale, warts and all included in the listing. I don't think I'll get anything near what I have it up for, but I've already had a few people offer low ball numbers, so will see what I can get for it. The way I see it, any return is a bonus.

https://www.adverts.ie/car/bmw/3-series/bmw-e46-318-ci/18745858

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

delly wrote: »
    Currently up for sale, warts and all included in the listing. I don't think I'll get anything near what I have it up for, but I've already had a few people offer low ball numbers, so will see what I can get for it. The way I see it, any return is a bonus.

https://www.adverts.ie/car/bmw/3-series/bmw-e46-318-ci/18745858

Not a hope without NCT.... Unfortunately that's the market we are in

Not a hope without NCT.... Unfortunately that's the market we are in

Yeah, as I say, anything is better than nothing. I did ring some similar models that have been up for sale over the course of the last month in prep and the ones that had been sold did vary in what they got in the end. I have been offered €300 and €350, so I'll just reduce bit by bit over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'd take it... I've still got 05 Mondeo can't even give away for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭munster87

Seller of the 116i sounds like some legend! Few and far between.

munster87 wrote: »
    Seller of the 116i sounds like some legend! Few and far between.

Absolutely! It's only looking back on my post, I didn't include the fact that it had been nct'd 2 weeks ago, despite the fact that the nct wasn't actually due until January 2020. 4 months would still be a respectable period left when selling, yet he got it done early.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think both doors on the drivers side are actually gouged in, the photos just hide it very well. Do you see what I mean above the bump strip?

I think both doors on the drivers side are actually gouged in, the photos just hide it very well. Do you see what I mean above the bump strip?

Well spotted. The drivers door view confirms it.

489978.jpg

• Advertisement

Mightn't be a terrible purchase if you dont mind that though. Spec looks good, otherwise tidy, lots of test and a bit of tax, low owners. Mileage is a little on the high side but looks like there's a decent service history in the drivers door jamb.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/00-renault-megane-sports-coupe/22666276

YWJlNzdlNzRkODYxYjIzODZkZWM1YWZlZmY4YTRjNmJkVtsGQGco6txE9CbhFsCAaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzAyNzgyMDZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1 owner, tax and test till March 2020, €500

Hardly the best car out there, but worth a punt at that money surely

Potential future classic stuff IMO. Most Renault stuff seems to get desirable as it gets old, they are a good looking coupe, the interior looks very comfy. I dont think they were even too **** reliability wise? The toe bar would have to go though.

No, they weren't that bad. Certainly not Laguna II levels of ****e anyway. An aunt of mine had one for 16 years (a saloon) until not too long ago, and I don't think the oil filter ever got as much as a wipe of a wet cloth in terms of maintenance, but she swore by it.

They did have very comfy seats.

Speaking of future classics...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1998-fiesta/22882447

YWFhZjEwMzc4MmNmMmZjNjZjODE1NGZlNzM4ZTkxYTZJROjAKaYrcdJsZDag-d1ZaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzE4Mjc2ODR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I love the look of this.

1 owner, looks mint, tiny miles, 12 months test - €550

If I didn't just buy something else I'd have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Loved those megane coupes when they were new. Thought they looked brilliant.

That Fiesta is brilliant too. So long as you can insure it that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Traded in so many of those Megane Coupes back in the day against RAV4s. It was at that point (around 2004) that sexy young wans really started buying crossovers and the death knell tolled for non premium coupes. They would also have moved onto minis.

If you could convince Autoline or First Ireland to throw it onto a classic policy the Fiesta would even make sense as a handy second car/back up wheels if you had the space. With Autoline you can usually negotiate a few days a week for commuting into the policy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Those fiestas a pretty horrible cars though, handling aside, they were noisy small outdated rotbixes when they were new, nevermind today!
    Are people really nostalgic for them?

Give me a Punto over them any day

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Traded in so many of those Megane Coupes back in the day against RAV4s. It was at that point (around 2004) that sexy young wans really started buying crossovers and the death knell tolled for non premium coupes. They would also have moved onto minis.

Minis are dying a death now too. Fiat 500s are all the rage these days

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement