Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

And to add to the above make sure you can insure it.

350 euro car if it drives, turns and stops that's it.

Still would be good to get in on a ramp and make sure it isn't falling apart, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

In the crash video, the airbag was useless. The dummy was thrown past it and it offered no protection for the driver.

The passenger had no airbag, but then, the crash was on the other side so it did not matter so much. :)

I have decided these old cars are death traps in a crash - particularly if rust had weakened their structure.

Older cars are indeed deathtraps.

It's something I'm very conscious about as I delve into a resto on a couple I have over the next while.

I'm seriously considering some safety augmentation when the body is stripped down bare. But what can or will be done I don't know.
    I've never seen much online about such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

wonski wrote: »
    And to add to the above make sure you can insure it.

350 euro car if it drives, turns and stops that's it.

Still would be good to get in on a ramp and make sure it isn't falling apart, though.

Driving other cars policy still not effective for a car with valid taxx and test and not in your name?
    Sorry, haven't bought a car in about 9 years

Older cars are indeed deathtraps.

It's something I'm very conscious about as I delve into a resto on a couple I have over the next while.

I'm seriously considering some safety augmentation when the body is stripped down bare. But what can or will be done I don't know.
    I've never seen much online about such things.

Cars crashing into the walls are generally deathtraps.

If you overthink it you are in a metal cage doing 120 km/h on a motorway, or you are 1m away from having a head on collision on a regional road every minute while driving to work with combined speed of 160km/h.

Some drivers can have a heart attack or being drunk as ****.

Let's enjoy the bangeromics for what they are and not what they become when hitting a stationary wall at speed, can we?

Just a thought ;)

monster1 wrote: »
    Driving other cars policy still not effective for a car with valid taxx and test and not in your name?
    Sorry, haven't bought a car in about 9 years

If you buy it it's yours. So no longer other car. If they let you switch the policy to it that's fine.

Check before you buy is what I meant. You can temporarily switch to another car normally, but some insurance companies like to complicate things.

• Advertisement

If you buy it it's yours. So no longer other car. If they let you switch the policy to it that's fine.

Check before you buy is what I meant. You can temporarily switch to another car normally, but some insurance companies like to complicate things.

Would be in a housemates name... Just a car to get to work a to b, 10km total. I was cycling, but I twisted my ankle yesterday 😂

Would be in a housemates name... Just a car to get to work a to b, 10km total. I was cycling, but I twisted my ankle yesterday 😂

Just switch the policy from the car being fixed to the one you buy rather than trying silly tricks.

Leave the housemate alone, last thing he needs is being registered owner of a car he has nothing to do with;)

Just switch the policy from the car being fixed to the one you buy rather than trying silly tricks.

Leave the housemate alone, last thing he needs is being registered owner of a car he has nothing to do with;)

How is it a silly trick if it is not against the law, and stop assuming my housemate would have a problem with it... He absolutely doesn't .. Reason why I don't want to switch is my insurance is up next week, and its a performance car, I fear if I switch back it will jump considerably more than the quote I received.
    There's always a few

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Badly stuck for a cheap runabout while work being done on my car.
    The no garuentee thing has me worried..
    Would it be worth the risk duke? Cheers

Make sure you check for coolant in the oil (white sludge) and/or oil in the coolant the headgasket going on them isn't at all uncommon. Could be a solid buy if its sound though.

Personally in my view an E11 corolla is hard bet if you want a car that will most likely work reliably for sub €350

I am just telling you what you don't want to hear and you are telling me what you want to hear.

Do as you want.

Bear in mind some policies specifically exclude cars registered at the same address etc.

Perfectly legal.

It's only 10km or so so drive away and don't ask for advice when one is given.

I just mentioned insurance and you go defensive so you know what you are up to.

Ask the dealer if they throw in few quids for insurance on top of warranty on that car ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Ask the dealer if they throw in few quids for insurance on top of warranty on that car ;)

I bought a €350 car once off a dealer they threw in 2 years insurance and 10 year warranty. :D

If you overthink it you are in a metal cage doing 120 km/h on a motorway, or you are 1m away from having a head on collision on a regional road every minute while driving to work with combined speed of 160km/h.

Let's enjoy the bangeromics for what they are and not what they become when hitting a stationary wall at speed, can we?

Just a thought ;)

Eh, what?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm assuming you didn't read what I wrote in the spirit in which it was written nor the post that I quoted.

There's a reason I follow this thread... Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

Just a thought ;)

Cardiac arrest you mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

McCrack wrote: »
    Cardiac arrest you mean

How do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

How is it a silly trick if it is not against the law, and stop assuming my housemate would have a problem with it... He absolutely doesn't .. Reason why I don't want to switch is my insurance is up next week, and its a performance car, I fear if I switch back it will jump considerably more than the quote I received.
    There's always a few
    My policies have always required that the "borrowed" car have an active insurance policy of it's own, which closes off this loophole.

TychoCaine wrote: »
    My policies have always required that the "borrowed" car have an active insurance policy of it's own, which closes off this loophole.

Almost all of them do. I know mine does and all of them going back to 2005 have done.

Eh, what?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm assuming you didn't read what I wrote in the spirit in which it was written nor the post that I quoted.

There's a reason I follow this thread... Jesus.

I was politely trying to get one of my favourite threads back on track and leaving the ncap alone, and failed miserably by getting involved in Seicento insurance crap later on.

Apologies as it wasn't aimed at you at all ;)

I was politely trying to get one of my favourite threads back on track and leaving the ncap alone, and failed miserably by getting involved in Seicento insurance crap later on.

Apologies as it wasn't aimed at you at all ;)

Fair enough. I withdraw my snark.

TBF, this goes off-topic only once every couple of months. It can be illuminating sometimes as you should well know.

Anyway... back to the bangers...

I am just telling you what you don't want to hear and you are telling me what you want to hear.

Do as you want.

Bear in mind some policies specifically exclude cars registered at the same address etc.

Perfectly legal.
    It's only 10km or so so drive away and don't ask for advice when one is given.

I just mentioned insurance and you go defensive so you know what you are up to.

Not getting defensive at all, it gets annoying when people chime in about legalities when those questions were not even asked.
    And I apologise if I come off defensive. Any links to a similar cheap car would be appriciated.
    On another note, just a drive in an mx5 for the first time... In love! Never thought I'd like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Not getting defensive at all, it gets annoying when people chime in about legalities when those questions were not even asked.
    And I apologise if I come off defensive. Any links to a similar cheap car would be appriciated.
    On another note, just a drive in an mx5 for the first time... In love! Never thought I'd like them.

Check out the CHEAPO ECO MANIACS thread here as there are some sub €500 cars popped in fairly regularly

• Advertisement

At the end we will all be friends ;)

Let's just leave it where it was.

If you need a car for a week only or so I would look at renting one rather than going through all the hassle of buying/selling etc personally.

You said your car is being repaired now, it isn't out for months, just few days?

At the end we will all be friends ;)

Let's just leave it where it was.

If you need a car for a week only or so I would look at renting one rather than going through all the hassle of buying/selling etc personally.

You said your car is being repaired now, it isn't out for months, just few days?

Well it's going away for a bit for a forge build and a few other things. So a car for a couple of months is needed. Commute not far, but will visit family 80km once a week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 387 ✭✭Ta ceist agam

There's been a heap of ****e and bickering posted for the last 2 pages. Looks like Wonski and Monster1 have kissed and made up, so can we move on??
    Where are the Moderators when you need them??

Role+of+the+Moderator+Role+How+Social+host+Chairperson.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Badly stuck for a cheap runabout while work being done on my car.
    The no garuentee thing has me worried..
    Would it be worth the risk duke? Cheers

Wouldn't be too worried about that line, the seller is only covering his back. There are some headers out there who'd come back screaming in a years time if it failed its next NCT :pac:

See selectamatic's advice above, check for oil in coolant or vice versa, and have a quick look in the boot for rust around where the floor meets the inside of the wheel arches. Other than that there is very little that can go wrong really.

If it starts, drives, steers and stops okay it is worth a punt, and a grand car if it is just to get you to work and back. A 97-99 era Corolla would be a very good bet too, they can be bought very cheap now with NCT. But that Fiat is about as frugal as you'll get, only 50 quid for three months tax, they run on the smell of fuel etc. Think of it as one up from a bus pass.

And just try not to have a crash in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kqcregg

Kilboor wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the Accord Type S? I love the look of it but the 250k + kms would put me off

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-type-s/25821078

Great car. Sold my 05 with same milage in January still going strong. Put 40k Miles on it in 2 1/2 years. Never used oil. Other than a coil pack and a set of drop links it needed nothing other than normal servicing and brake pads. Looked at a few when I was buying and none of them had oil leaks. Had great AC as well. Was doing 34 mpg based on driving in and out of Galway every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ko Chow

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-2002-nct-07-2021-dry-engine-no-leaks/25840578

Lowish miles, interior looks clean, bonnet looks a bit rippled but park it next to a same era Opel and it's red paint will look positively gleaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Already gone!

Ko Chow wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-2002-nct-07-2021-dry-engine-no-leaks/25840578

Lowish miles, interior looks clean, bonnet looks a bit rippled but park it next to a same era Opel and it's red paint will look positively gleaming.

It is sold. That was quick.

Red paint is bad for all cars... All end up pink sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ko Chow

Ok so let's go again, this time Limerick.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-2004-1-25/25842251

Fiesta with the sweet 1.25. Tax end November, Nct July 21.

Joe with 144 lifetime ads says it comes with a full tank of petrol. Wonder will he throw in some mats. €625 ono

"old out yer and"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 387 ✭✭Ta ceist agam

Kia Rio saloo, with NCT April 2021 and Tax to December 2020

There's worse cars out there for more..

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-kia-rio-1-4-petrol-nct-amp-tax/25843448

This one travelled from Dublin via Cork (where it was sold, Mallow Road Motors) to Donegal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement