Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

highdef wrote: »
    So 45 litres is around about 10 imperial gallons. If you average 47 miles per 1 gallon, you should be able to do about 470 miles if you drive to the point that it's running on fumes or you actually run out of petrol. That equates to just over 750km so how do you manage a claimed 900km with an average of 47mpg (6 litres per 100km in modern day, non British Imperial Measurement speak).

I said close to 900 km, I suppose a brimmed tank will realistically do about 850 to empty. The figures I quoted in the last post were just what it averaged on that day according to the trip computer. 50+ mpg is very achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-fabia-combi-1-4-d-270tax-nct-11-21-tax10-20/25946759

Cheap tax 1.4 TDI Fabia with 14 months test and a bit of tax, €1250

1 owner until a few weeks ago. Very frugal motoring for a shade over a grand

I have a funny feeling I saved that yesterday to post here, forgot about it, and it was sold today, so I deleted the ad, but it was in Wexford with a trade dealer who had taken it as trade-in and it was listed at 850

[EDIT]NOPE. Just checked my browser history. Was a 08 and same colour, but it was a 1.2[/EDIT]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Kilboor wrote: »

I wouldn't necessarily say it was "dodgy", the 1.8 has 2 belts to change, a wet and dry one which is an expensive job but I'd class the 1.8 a more reliable engine than the PSA one in the 1.6 diesel Focus/Mondeo. :D

I wouldn't necessarily say it was "dodgy", the 1.8 has 2 belts to change, a wet and dry one which is an expensive job but I'd class the 1.8 a more reliable engine than the PSA one in the 1.6 diesel Focus/Mondeo. :D

Fair enough I may take a look...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I had a 1.8 mondeo and my sister in law still has a 1.8 Focus.

Both were/are incredibly reliable. Once the 2 belts are done, they'll go for ever

I had a 1.8 mondeo and my sister in law still has a 1.8 Focus.

Both were/are incredibly reliable. Once the 2 belts are done, they'll go for ever

Gave the seller a shout asking about belts and he doesn't know when they were done. Think I'll avoid to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Gave the seller a shout asking about belts and he doesn't know when they're done. Think I'll avoid to be honest

Due every 160k km

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Gave the seller a shout asking about belts and he doesn't know when they're done. Think I'll avoid to be honest

Means they're needed, you could hand over the cash drive up the road and boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭jiltloop

The best quote I got for doing the belts on that 1.8 engine was €750, most other quotes were for closer to €900. Definitely something to factor in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

And never trust the tippex notes...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

kalkat2002 wrote: »

Tippex, in its essence, was created to hide something.

jiltloop wrote: »
    The best quote I got for doing the belts on that 1.8 engine was €750, most other quotes were for closer to €900. Definitely something to factor in.

A fella Boards.ie user done it for me for €650 I think at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭jiltloop

A fella Boards.ie user done it for me for €650 I think at the time.

That's a very good price, I had a few mechanics telling me that the €750 quote I got was a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

jiltloop wrote: »
    That's a very good price, I had a few mechanics telling me that the €750 quote I got was a steal.

I've a feeling that fella wasn't a registered mechanic. Just knew how to do it. I never owned a Mondeo but if I did I would give it a shot myself. I can change dry timing belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭crasy dash

I've a feeling that fella wasn't a registered mechanic. Just knew how to do it. I never owned a Mondeo but if I did I would give it a shot myself. I can change dry timing belts.

Any information needed regarding Ford mondeo's in general
    There is a guy on youtube called Alan howatt he posts some amount of videos about the fleet of mondeo Taxis he services .
    Im fairly positive he has one done on the wet belt and by the looks of it tis a fairly big job hence the big quotes off mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tippex is the cheapest timing belt kit you can buy. :pac:

2003 nissan micra

350 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/21551824

Actually a Simi registered garage and a bloody good service it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Actually a Simi registered garage and a bloody good service it was.

Pretty cheap he mustn't of had much of an overhead with his business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Pretty cheap he mustn't of had much of an overhead with his business.

Maybe he offered 100 euro discount to another boardsie just like that.

Investigation starts for no reason.

With 100+ jobs a month any garage can offer a deal to another customer.

2004 golf petrol

1150 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/21557696

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ooh. Automatic. Wasn’t someone on here looking for a nice cheap automatic? Was looking at a Chevrolet Aveo or something horrific?

MDliN2M0NjY4NmUxYmI2YWNhOTk0YTUzY2QyZTVhNjeZ5yqBPP0Gv2Bz1-XAvYMlaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTY1NTY0ODl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

2008 VW Passat 1.9 Tdi
    180k miles
    Looks alright and with the NCT extension it has NCT until March 2021
    Its on the cheap tax too (390 p.a)
    Asking price is €900 which is why I stuck it up here. Not bad for a 2008 diesel with 6 months NCT
    Same owner for last 7 years too

[EDIT]Forgive the lack of enthusiasm, but I owned an identical one which was 2006 and while it was a grand car and comfy and economical, it wasn't anything special. I prefer the older model if I'm being honest[/EDIT]

NWFmNmIyMDlhNmU2M2Q3ZDM5YjZiYTU2ZmQ5MzMxYmOZf3agqbfg_6OjfKeNt3GiaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTY1NTM3MTR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Speaking of the older model, now THIS is a very clean looking Highline example of the final year of the B5.5
    Mileage is high at 238k miles, but I've driven them way past that and they stay going
    NCT done recently, but as it was backdated, it's until Feb 2021
    Leather heated seats, cruise control etc
    Asking €1250
    I still would if I got it around a grand!

MmQ0YjM5ZTg2MDVjZjU5ZmQ1YzczYzE3MzBhZGM1ZmHjMHYAsprUJ4wxxsk83dt_aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTY1NDM2MTJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

And sure why not throw another 1.9 Tdi in for the crack!
    2003 Audi A4 Avant with incredibly low mileage if it's genuine @ 140k
    Timing belt and clutch have both been done 20k miles ago
    I'm a bit biased as my own daily driver is a 2004 Avant, but these are a cracking car and well built
    Asking price is €950 and NCT is until April 2021

2004 golf petrol

1150 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/21557696

I see that's listed on Donedeal also
    Just sticking up the link here with a pic too

MGZhN2ViNmUyMjYwOGQ2ZDY1MTU1YzQ3NjBjNzY0YmWKO2qAyFdoFneRdSKybU45aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTY1MzkzMzR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

How is done the image link here using smartphone Mike
    Rgds

I'd snap that a4 up if I wasn't looking for a bangernomic main car to replace my current :( At 26 the insurance companies would be a balls to deal with for a 17 year old car

• Advertisement

How is done the image link here using smartphone Mike
    Rgds

Actually a good question
    I have posted here once or twice from phone and could never see any way to add an image

Anybody else know if it can be done?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement