Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

The 2.5s did suffer from head gasket failure quite often but that would have been in the older model legacy I couldn't tell ya whether it'd still be an issue in those ones.

They are very heavy on petrol too.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Plus it is on old tax system which make it even less favorable.

But it is very nice looking car.

It would be more expensive on the new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The 2.5s did suffer from head gasket failure quite often but that would have been in the older model legacy I couldn't tell ya whether it'd still be an issue in those ones.

They are very heavy on petrol too.

Seems the facelift ones are better when it comes to the head gasket but it's a pity Subaru decided a 2.5 should be a 4 cylinder.
    Fuel wise people are reporting about 30mpg on average which is ok for me.
    Bit skeptical the 2.5 will be dog slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bear1 wrote: »
    Seems the facelift ones are better when it comes to the head gasket but it's a pity Subaru decided a 2.5 should be a 4 cylinder.
    Fuel wise people are reporting about 30mpg on average which is ok for me.
    Bit skeptical the 2.5 will be dog slow.

But it is a boxer - much more civilised than any R4... Unfortunately with the 4-speed (was it 4 or 5 speed) automatic it seems very lazy...

DOHC are the ones to be avoided, while SOHC are solid...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Opinions needed lads, I've an E60 530d with 306k km but mostly full history and well looked after. It needs one or two things (nothing detrimental). It's carbon black with cream/beige/yellow/whatever interior and a good driver. I'd take 2 grand for it from a boardsie, but I'm wondering is it a bangernomics car? Tested until April, no tax. I've driven it for 3 months, and nothing has broken in my possession :P

• Advertisement

I’d call that bangernomics

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Opinions needed lads, I've an E60 530d with 306k km but mostly full history and well looked after. It needs one or two things (nothing detrimental). It's carbon black with cream/beige/yellow/whatever interior and a good driver. I'd take 2 grand for it from a boardsie, but I'm wondering is it a bangernomics car? Tested until April, no tax. I've driven it for 3 months, and nothing has broken in my possession :P

why getting rid after 3 months?

lawred2 wrote: »
    why getting rid after 3 months?

I tend to get bored quickly, in 10 years I've had about 40 cars on the road :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

grogi wrote: »
    But it is a boxer - much more civilised than any R4... Unfortunately with the 4-speed (was it 4 or 5 speed) automatic it seems very lazy...

DOHC are the ones to be avoided, while SOHC are solid...

Yes I was surprised they were a 4 speed which just seems stupid to me.
    Aren't the dohc ones the early version and then after 06 with the facelift were sohc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I tend to get bored quickly, in 10 years I've had about 40 cars on the road :o

You sure it hasn't been tampered with by your neighbour?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

If you can get it insured, this has got to be worth 450 of anyones money.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo/22721203
    Nct til Feb 20, two months tax, not many pictures but it looks clean enough, comes with a tow bar.

At the higher end of the budget but looks good.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-laguna-1-5-dci-estate-dynamique/22330025
    Pity it's not the 2 litre and the nct is short, but looks well looked after, and ad is very genuine.
    Are these the reliable laguna?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭slipperyox

terrydel wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-laguna-1-5-dci-estate-dynamique/22330025
    Pity it's not the 2 litre and the nct is short, but looks well looked after, and ad is very genuine.

looks like vomitus on seats:)

terrydel wrote: »

Worth it for the Habilead tyres alone.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Worth it for the Habilead tyres alone.

320 for a set did seem a bit cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Nothing like a big Volvo.... Some serious sleepers they have....

Use to love jumping into them moving them between garages... Put a big smile on said face

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Still on the lookout for small runabout for my sister. Thoughts on this?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-toyota-yaris-1-0-nct02-2020/22966661

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Still on the lookout for small runabout for my sister. Thoughts on this?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-toyota-yaris-1-0-nct02-2020/22966661

Seems a decent honest ad and car on the face of it. The only car that particular seller has for sale on Donedeal which is a good sign for a private seller. They aren't overly complicated so not a lot to go wrong. Just do the usual checks when viewing, oil, coolant, suspension, brake disc wear, uneven tyre wear, check underneath for rust and how the car drives.

If all is in order and you got it for in around or close to the €1,500 mark it would be a nice buy I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

• Advertisement

Kilboor wrote: »

looks in great nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

MWQ1NTcwMGZmNjIxZDkyOGEwNmU2ZGM0OWJlZTYwZWT1KrH-xwGFxbNbxuhE-NsQaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzI2MTAzNDB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

06 Corolla D4D
    Mileage is quite high, but NCT until Jan 2020 and taxed until end of April 2020
    €850 asking. Surely has to be a good buy if you could snap it up for around €700-€750??

NWY3NjVmYzk2MTExZDQwZGEwZDU4OTNkNjBkODNlYzLjL96vKVKmpU-DVwkiiDzEaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjk4MjAwNTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

A few scuff marks, but its a 08 1.9 Tdi Audi A4 on the low tax €390
    Couple of months NCT left, good tyres all round
    Says it has a fully stamped history with 2/3's of it from main dealer
    Timing Belt & Water Pump done 100k kms ago
    Had it up last week for €2150, but now down to €1950
    Oh, and same owner for last 6 years too

Wouldnt give a toss about the scuffs, the short nct is the worry there. I dont think he'll sell it til its nct'ed, unless he drops the price by a serious amount.

Just noticed its 100k kms since the timing belt was done if its not a typo. So that needs doing now.

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    NWY3NjVmYzk2MTExZDQwZGEwZDU4OTNkNjBkODNlYzLjL96vKVKmpU-DVwkiiDzEaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjk4MjAwNTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

A few scuff marks, but its a 08 1.9 Tdi Audi A4 on the low tax €390
    Couple of months NCT left, good tyres all round
    Says it has a fully stamped history with 2/3's of it from main dealer
    Timing Belt & Water Pump done 100k kms ago
    Had it up last week for €2150, but now down to €1950
    Oh, and same owner for last 6 years too

what's the timing belt interval because 100k isn't exactly nominal!?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

what's the timing belt interval because 100k isn't exactly nominal!?

60k miles 100k km

60k miles 100k km

so it's due a timing belt change?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

One plus at least he/she is honest that it needs a belt. It would be worse to buy and he says it was done 40k ago and you are out driving about and it snapped.

so it's due a timing belt change?

Yep, unless the 231k he mentions is a typo and should be 331k
    Its very honest of the seller, assuming he/she doesnt think that 100k is nothing to worry about for a timing belt!
    Would be 300 or so to replace. With that and an nct due, its overpriced.

• Advertisement

The 1.9 in the 2008 models is 120k kms timing belt interval if I recall correctly, and I'm guessing that's why the seller mentioned it, basically saying that there is another 20k before a change, but yeah, between that and the NCT even with the price dropped, it's looking pricy alright

[EDIT]Yes, it seems it's 120,000 kms for the BRB engine according to this link
    https://www.techtips.ie/Gates/vag-timing-system-replacement-intervals.pdf
    [/EDIT]

brbinterval.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement