Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Rough looking yoke, those wheels are horrid they certainly aren't VRS wheels.

Nice looking car
    But expensive for a 07 looking for €1995

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It needs to have a NCT though to qualify for this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

Cheap Hyundai Accent
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-hyundai-accent-/27000378
    Test til july.
    Looks a bit rough but low mileage for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Cheap Hyundai Accent
    Test til july.

Basically a forestry car at this stage,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Cheap Hyundai Accent
    Test til july.
    Type of car if you were stuck and needed get back on the road quickly you still wouldn't buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Type of car if you were stuck and needed get back on the road quickly you still wouldn't buy.

At 600 I'd agree. Itd be a solid buy at sub 350.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

I wouldn't know much about car handling, but I had one of those as a rental in the US once and it was fairly doughy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

boombang wrote: »
    I wouldn't know much about car handling, but I had one of those as a rental in the US once and it was fairly doughy.

I wouldn't want to be in a crash in one or drive another ever....
    A boat would handle better

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-1-6-terra-estate/26974894

YTVhYzkzZmJkMTQ3MTg5ODM2MzUyZjZiYTAxNTc5NjTXv7dlAs7VSyJxesYW_a_UaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjc5MDA5ODl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1 owner Corolla estate with 38k miles

Short on test and more hits than the Beatles, is it worth €950?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I like it but not worth next nor near that. It's in bits, light on test, estate, 1.6.

But i definitely would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 1.6 makes a nice car of them, but Toyota Ireland in their wisdom only sold the Terra spec on them.
    It’s too rough to bother with, but I’m sure it would be a reliable hack if you didn’t care.
    Might make sense at 500

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The 1.6 makes a nice car of them, but Toyota Ireland in their wisdom only sold the Terra spec on them.
    It’s too rough to bother with, but I’m sure it would be a reliable hack if you didn’t care.
    Might make sense at 500

I was trying to ring him just there to offer exactly that but he didn't answer. It's about what it's worth. Be a handy yoke to have as a spare runaround.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Service book that spans several years all done with the same red pen doesn't exactly look trustworthy to me.

The body on that looks like it's done 300,000 miles. It's wrecked.

Service book that spans several years all done with the same red pen doesn't exactly look trustworthy to me.

Don't know what you're looking at but I see blue and black biro as well.

Plus he has a nearly new wheelie walking frame yoke for sale as well so it kind of adds credence to the validity of the sale.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Its an awful pity about the state of the bodywork, I'd say its a well maintained car otherwise - just bumped from pillar to post on the owner's weekly spin to mass/the shops etc. Continental tyres are a good sign too, especially on something of that age and calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

One owner from a good neighbourhood.

Definitely value to be had there.

Pretty much every properly or comprehensively filled in service book I've ever seen has been done in the same colour pen.

Nothing too suspicious about the idea of a garage having a box of 100 Bic ballpoint pens for this very menial task, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Pretty much every properly or comprehensively filled in service book I've ever seen has been done in the same colour pen.

Nothing too suspicious about the idea of a garage having a box of 100 Bic ballpoint pens for this very menial task, surely?

But red?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

I filled out my own book (honestly!) and purposely used different pens because I knew it looked dodgy enough as it was, nevermind using the same colour each time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Same stamp, no wear on it. Same handwriting on it, same pen. Chances are it was all done at once. Black pen stops in 2006.

OK. Buy the Corolla 1.6 estate for €800. Tax for 2 x 6 months = €600, NCT and a couple of repairs = €200. That's €1,600 minus what you get for it in 12 months (€600).

So it cost €1,000 to run for a year for tax, depreciation and parts, not including insurance.

If you're over 30 and have 10 years NCB the insurance difference is negligible. If you're hitting 50, there's a good chance the Merc below is a good bit cheaper.

A couple of pages ago I posted an E270 CDi estate with Auto for €1,995. It has €550 tax on it, meaning it can be got for €1300 in the real world, but lets say you pay €1800.
    Tax it in June for €700 for 6 months. NCT in Nov with €200 of parts. Insurance is the same, give or take. If you drive 10,000 km a year, you'll pay €200 less for fuel. You'll sell it easily for €1600 next Jan with a newish NCT.

Meaning it will have cost €1,100 a year to run with tax, depreciation and parts, (not including insurance for 12 months). But a saving of €200 in fuel over the Corolla, meaning it costs about €100 a year less to run. Or €900 for the Merc v €1,000 for the Corolla.

Of course there's the chance that a major outlay is needed for brakes, gearbox, suspension, cooling etc. but there isn't much difference in price for parts online and labour from an Indy.

But essentially the Merc is the same cost to run over 12 months in real terms as the Corolla. And we all know which is the nicer place to sit in for those 12 months and 10,000 km. And that's not including the small satisfaction you get when you get up in the morning and see a classy E-Class estate parked in the drive against a somewhat battered Corolla estate.

Prove me wrong.

• Advertisement

KevRossi wrote: »
    Same stamp, no wear on it. Same handwriting on it, same pen. Chances are it was all done at once. Black pen stops in 2006.

OK. Buy the Corolla 1.6 estate for €800. Tax for 2 x 6 months = €600, NCT and a couple of repairs = €200. That's €1,600 minus what you get for it in 12 months (€600).

So it cost €1,000 to run for a year for tax, depreciation and parts, not including insurance.

If you're over 30 and have 10 years NCB the insurance difference is negligible. If you're hitting 50, there's a good chance the Merc below is a good bit cheaper.

A couple of pages ago I posted an E270 CDi estate with Auto for €1,995. It has €550 tax on it, meaning it can be got for €1300 in the real world, but lets say you pay €1800.
    Tax it in June for €700 for 6 months. NCT in Nov with €200 of parts. Insurance is the same, give or take. If you drive 10,000 km a year, you'll pay €200 less for fuel. You'll sell it easily for €1600 next Jan with a newish NCT.

Meaning it will have cost €1,100 a year to run with tax, depreciation and parts, (not including insurance for 12 months). But a saving of €200 in fuel over the Corolla, meaning it costs about €100 a year less to run. Or €900 for the Merc v €1,000 for the Corolla.

Of course there's the chance that a major outlay is needed for brakes, gearbox, suspension, cooling etc. but there isn't much difference in price for parts online and labour from an Indy.

But essentially the Merc is the same cost to run over 12 months in real terms as the Corolla. And we all know which is the nicer place to sit in for those 12 months and 10,000 km. And that's not including the small satisfaction you get when you get up in the morning and see a classy E-Class estate parked in the drive against a somewhat battered Corolla estate.

Prove me wrong.

You feeling alright?

Did someone upset you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I thought it was nice little breakdown. No pun intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Short on test and more hits than the Beatles, is it worth €950?
    Hasn't seen a service in over 4 years & lots of visible rust. Nope.
    Also, lack of dash would make me wonder what warning lights show.

€950 + how much in repairs? Would rather spend an extra €500 on a car that doesn't have as many red flags.

KevRossi wrote: »

Prove me wrong.

The Merc is seriously lovely, but it’s got 250k miles on the clock. I’m not one who gives any real consideration at all to the mileage on a car, especially in bangernomics parameters (but I do like a nice low miler as above), but a high mileage w211 would be cause for some caution to my mind. I agree that there are definitely much nicer options out there than the Corolla for the same money, but I don’t think that is one of them. I think a budget of €200 on repairs is a bit optimistic, you’d spend that on two tyres alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭User1998

Gone already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

What was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Oops! wrote: »
    What was it?

2012 Fluence with a years test and a years tax for €1850

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

Thought i would throw this in here, son's car. 06 fiesta, nct till sept, offering it to boardies at €950

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-tax-nct-bluetooth-radio/26994338?campaign=3

• Advertisement

Nice bit of tax on it too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement