Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Or completely left field :P

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-156-2004/23061454 back bumper is in ****e and the front drivers wing seems dented but could be the way the reflection is appearing but it's a Ti which the seller doesn't seem to be aware about

or..

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-159-1-9jts-new-nct/23021846

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Is the battery gone in it? That's a kick in the teeth!

Get that Glanza bought!

Yeah, seems to be. Battery died out of nowhere on the weekend, started it with a jump, but the EML and hybrid lights came on the dash and now it’s seemingly not doing it’s stop/start hybrid thing anymore. Still drives grand as it is but if it’s going to be draining the battery randomly I don’t really fancy having to rely on it.

Glanza is lovely indeed but I have an old Civic and Starlet to keep me busy enough as it is :pac: it also wouldn’t last pissing time parked overnight out on the road in north Dublin and I have no more garden space.

bear1 wrote: »

I like that! And it’s local

Budget is anywhere between 200-2k really

Something reasonably presentable would be nice, the Civic was okay for that. It looked perfectly adequate, up in years kind of

The Sporting in my mind is a future classic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Pushpen wrote: »
    Thanks both.
    Colm : Are you suggesting its overpriced by 200 even with an NCT?
    I have been thinking of putting it through NCT, but if I am going to get 500 for a full year NCTd car, I might scrap it. At the bare minimum, it will need 2 tyres.

C'mon - you have the very popular tyre size 205/55R16 IIRC... Two mid-range tyres would be around €120...

Push it through NCT, with fresh NCT you'll get a grand for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Gents, my hybrid Civic seems to have died.

Any recommendations for something else to try for a few months? I was thinking an 08ish cheap tax Mk1 Octavia, but pickings are slim

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-renault-megane-3-estate/22827568

I've this in saved my watch list just purely because it seems like good value. Owner has had it since may 2018 and its a fresh modern looking car for the money.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-2009-estate/22708433

I'd say this is a very good example. Owner has had it since June 2012 and it looks well minded. It's way overpriced though. But surely he knows at this stage he won't get 3k for it. Sub 2k would be about right getting the seller to see it that way would be the hard part.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-estate/23061714

I bet this is clean and well looked after too. Same owner since December 16 and supposedly a full services history. Asking €850 very short test though and its in Mayo and it's only a 07.

3k for a base spec Octavia..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Any recommendations for something else to try for a few months? I was thinking an 08ish cheap tax Mk1 Octavia, but pickings are slim

That yellow €300 07 Punto.

Needs some work, no idea what though.

Yeah, seems to be. Battery died out of nowhere on the weekend, started it with a jump, but the EML and hybrid lights came on the dash and now it’s seemingly not doing it’s stop/start hybrid thing anymore. Still drives grand as it is but if it’s going to be draining the battery randomly I don’t really fancy having to rely on it.

Glanza is lovely indeed but I have an old Civic and Starlet to keep me busy enough as it is :pac: it also wouldn’t last pissing time parked overnight out on the road in north Dublin and I have no more garden space.

Stick a good car battery in it. Could be the car protecting itself. May not be an issue with the hybrid system at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Pushpen wrote: »
    Thanks both.
    Colm : Are you suggesting its overpriced by 200 even with an NCT?
    I have been thinking of putting it through NCT, but if I am going to get 500 for a full year NCTd car, I might scrap it. At the bare minimum, it will need 2 tyres.

Why would you scrap it if you can get 500?

• Advertisement

I think it’s worth around 500 as it sits now.

Is there anything actually wrong with the Accord?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

re: accord - 2 tyres and whatever else is wrong with it.
    as Colm said, flip it for €500 as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Pushpen

Thanks for the comments guys. Nothing wrong with the Accord it is driving well and have booked it in for NCT now.

Since I got another car, I was hoping to flip for 680 or close for the car as-is with 2 months NCT. but will get NCTd now and chance it for a better price. Cheers!

Ah right I was under the impression you wanted rid cause it may need new tyres for the test.
    If it's taking space that's different.
    I'd put it through the NCT and see how it goes, worst case you lose 50e and you show the fail sheet in the add and take 600e or if it passes up it by 100e and see how it goes.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Stick a good car battery in it. Could be the car protecting itself. May not be an issue with the hybrid system at all.

You were right Colm, new battery was €57 in Halfords and it’s back to normal again. Lights are still on the dash, but it’s doing it’s thing again. I’ll reset them tomorrow and see how it goes

All in the car stands me €1300 now and I have it nearly 6 months. Purchase price €980, €160 on two tyres, €116 on discs and pads all round, and €57 on a battery.

Id usually be bored by now but if there are no major hiccups out of it now I’ll be happy enough to stick with it for another while, probably Christmas or the new year.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-renault-megane-3-estate/22827568

I've this in saved my watch list just purely because it seems like good value. Owner has had it since may 2018 and its a fresh modern looking car for the money.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-2009-estate/22708433

I'd say this is a very good example. Owner has had it since June 2012 and it looks well minded. It's way overpriced though. But surely he knows at this stage he won't get 3k for it. Sub 2k would be about right getting the seller to see it that way would be the hard part.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-estate/23061714

I bet this is clean and well looked after too. Same owner since December 16 and supposedly a full services history. Asking €850 very short test though and its in Mayo and it's only a 07.

I reckon an Octavia will be my next car after the Civic, cheap tax Mk1 ideally. That 07 one is nice but I reckon I'd just get another nice 130 brake A6 if I was going down that route. Its the cheap tax that I like the idea of :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Very hard get nice ones that are priced properly unfortunately. Realistically they're €1500 cars tops. There's a mountain of sellers holding onto this notion that they're worth €2k+ though. And plenty of them seem stubborn enough to hold onto them for months at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You were right Colm, new battery was €57 in Halfords and it’s back to normal again. Lights are still on the dash, but it’s doing it’s thing again. I’ll reset them tomorrow and see how it goes

All in the car stands me €1300 now and I have it nearly 6 months. Purchase price €980, €160 on two tyres, €116 on discs and pads all round, and €57 on a battery.

Id usually be bored by now but if there are no major hiccups out of it now I’ll be happy enough to stick with it for another while, probably Christmas or the new year.

What sort of mpg or litre per 100km?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

colm_mcm wrote: »

That yellow €300 07 Punto.

Needs some work, no idea what though.
    Rang about that the other day when there wasn't even a picture. All she could tell me is it's something to do with rust under the wheel arch, but not very specific. Could be that the whole subframe is rusted, or could be a rusty shock etc. Haha.

The other thing I found very odd when she added the photo is it's the older Punto but with a 07 reg! Must have sat on a forecourt for a long time initially!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

She wasn't bothered enough to even open the porch door to take the picture.....

What sort of mpg or litre per 100km?

It was getting sort of early 30s, I will watch it now and see if there is any change due to the new battery. I don't know if the hybrid battery was working to full capacity in the months I've been driving it

Lights have stayed off all day so far too

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-volkswagen-phaeton/23073771

MDdmNzUyMDVhOWUwZDMwNmExMGZlYjQxZjIxYzdkODP8NxCCg8BjJpRnYAkoScOjaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzMyNzYxMDF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1 owner, low miles, 12 months NCT - €2k

Suspiciously cheap or just a realistic seller?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭pah

MDdmNzUyMDVhOWUwZDMwNmExMGZlYjQxZjIxYzdkODP8NxCCg8BjJpRnYAkoScOjaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzMyNzYxMDF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Priced well but most will balk at the €1500 tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

1 owner, low miles, 12 months NCT - €2k

Very interesting car! Surprised it's not faster 0-60 8-8.5 seconds) with that much power and torque. Were they known to be any good, or just a fancy Passat?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Very interesting car! Surprised it's not faster 0-60 8-8.5 seconds) with that much power and torque. Were they known to be any good, or just a fancy Passat?

It's definitely not a fancy Passat. Rather a less fancy Bentley Continental...

Fantastic car, but not to be run on shoestring budget...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the seller is being realistic with the price and probably a bit smart the market for a 14 year old big barge is very limited. The seller might also want a quick sale rather than asking for more only to get no interest for ages.

It was getting sort of early 30s, I will watch it now and see if there is any change due to the new battery. I don't know if the hybrid battery was working to full capacity in the months I've been driving it

Lights have stayed off all day so far too

That's terrible.

That's terrible.

It’s no better or worse than my previous 1.3 Corolla, never bothered me

• Advertisement

It’s no better or worse than my previous 1.3 Corolla, never bothered me

But having the system that's suppose to save fuel it's terrible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement