Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Seems nigh on impossible to get an auto with the 2.2 dsl. They don't seem to get much in the way of good publicity alright it seems though. Does the later lower CO2 incarnation of the 2.2 fare any better or more of the same issues?

They were a rush job to get in with them no longer producing their own diesels...
    Pure dirt imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Mzdi-OWFj-Zm-Q3-MDQx-NGFh-Nm-Fk-Mj-A5-Y2-E4-Yj-Ni-YWZh-MGXw-Nt-Q07s-JN7z-H2-U0-C390-N0a-HR0c-Dov-L3-Mz-LWV1-LXdlc3-Qt-MS5hb-WF6b25h.jpg

YWQw-NGQy-ODRh-OWFm-Nj-Vh-ZGE2-Zj-Q4-ZWQx-N2-Zj-Yj-I2-NGSa-LSG-yldjn-Ojc0e-Oaetd4a-HR0c-Dov-L3-Mz-LWV1-LXdlc3-Qt-MS5hb-WF6b25h.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-325-automatic-coupe-nct-02-22-tax-04-21/27528111

07 E92 325i
    Kitted se
    Looks well and appears to be very clean
    Fresh test and a bit of tax
    174k miles on the clock
    Reliable 2.5 engine and auto box
    Asking 1750 for sale by a trader

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That is lovely. Well found!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Seems nigh on impossible to get an auto with the 2.2 dsl. They don't seem to get much in the way of good publicity alright it seems though. Does the later lower CO2 incarnation of the 2.2 fare any better or more of the same issues?

They didn’t do them in an auto, apparently the 150bhp IS200d isn’t as prone to issues, but they’re relatively rare and obviously less powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The lips

Mzdi-OWFj-Zm-Q3-MDQx-NGFh-Nm-Fk-Mj-A5-Y2-E4-Yj-Ni-YWZh-MGXw-Nt-Q07s-JN7z-H2-U0-C390-N0a-HR0c-Dov-L3-Mz-LWV1-LXdlc3-Qt-MS5hb-WF6b25h.jpg

YWQw-NGQy-ODRh-OWFm-Nj-Vh-ZGE2-Zj-Q4-ZWQx-N2-Zj-Yj-I2-NGSa-LSG-yldjn-Ojc0e-Oaetd4a-HR0c-Dov-L3-Mz-LWV1-LXdlc3-Qt-MS5hb-WF6b25h.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-325-automatic-coupe-nct-02-22-tax-04-21/27528111

07 E92 325i
    Kitted se
    Looks well and appears to be very clean
    Fresh test and a bit of tax
    174k miles on the clock
    Reliable 2.5 engine and auto box
    Asking 1750 for sale by a trader

Great motor for the summer, would i get two car seats in the back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Gone already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Holy smokes that sold quickly!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

bazz26 wrote: »
    Gone already.

Terrible bangernomics. Any BMW auto will need care and feeding to keep it running right. The engines are a loose collection of oil leaks separated by bits of metal. Suspension wear is a costly fix, and at that mileage - unless records prove otherwise- it will all be worn out. Simple things like worn transverse links at the back make them handle horribly. That's assuming you dont have issues with electronics - idrive and body computers will really ruin your day.

Fine car if you are willing to pay for the privilege, terrible if on a bangernomic budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Terrible bangernomics. Any BMW auto will need care and feeding to keep it running right. The engines are a loose collection of oil leaks separated by bits of metal. Suspension wear is a costly fix, and at that mileage - unless records prove otherwise- it will all be worn out. Simple things like worn transverse links at the back make them handle horribly. That's assuming you dont have issues with electronics - idrive and body computers will really ruin your day.

Fine car if you are willing to pay for the privilege, terrible if on a bangernomic budget.

Leaving big rubber donuts at the nearest junction is all its going to be used for, wouldnt be too worried about any of that maintenance stuff

Its a 3 series lads not a 6 series...

This always crops up about some bmws on here from time to time but that particular example would be a safer prospect than a n47 diesel, n57 diesel, any of the 4 pot petrol engine models, the newer 6 cylinder petrols too. And quite a lot of yokes from other marques too.

The auto box and 2.5 petrol are really pretty reliable.

Big volvos, alfas, saabs, mercs, audi's etc are all posted here and they never really illicit these responses. Yet they'd all cost similar to maintain.

Fresh test, drive it till next year and it's still worth at least 1500 with a fail sheet get lucky and get through another test handy and you'd sell it for close to 2500 imo.

Perfect bangernomics. It was listed cheap hence it sold quickly, trader definitely could have got more for it. Could be a lemon either but thems the risks.

There's a finite amount of such cars available now for any sort of sensible money due to brexit. So demand for them will stay strong enough.

No one is buying an auto bimmer to do rings at a crossroad either.

• Advertisement

Its a 3 series lads not a 6 series...

I was only speaking from recent experience. I don't think 3 or 5 series makes much of a difference. If you put yourself in a bangernomics, you want to be able to walk away from big repairs, and if you are happy to walk away from €1700, fire away. If I didnt do the work needed on the E60 myself, it would have come to more than the car was worth, and I still couldn't solve all the effing leaks.

BTW - €1500 with a fail sheet? LOL. Priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It’s a terrible pity whatever happened to BMW post 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭TigerTim

For posterity:

ZjAwOWFmMzA0ZDliMzcxYWU4Mzc2Yzk4NjkxMGEyNGH7UuZpv-4N0Z16Oo8t-od0aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzQwNDI3MTB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Its only March but that has to be find of the year :pac:

I'd love to get a closer look at how they grafted that grille on

Price going only one way, down at €675 now

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

Very tidy Yaris for €1000, NCT 3/22
    Usually the body on these is well bashed up over the years.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-yaris-1-0-5dr-new-nct-03-22-high-spec/27549398

Quite a rare spec on that (Sol), it was top of the range for a Yaris (bar the T Sport)
    The main reason it’s rare is because Toyota introduced Blue and Strata models around that time for a lot less money with nicer spec like leather steering wheel and remote audio which the Sol bizarrely missed out on.
    For the Yaris nerds, that colour (Quick Silver) originally used to be only available on the T Sport.

I was only speaking from recent experience. I don't think 3 or 5 series makes much of a difference. If you put yourself in a bangernomics, you want to be able to walk away from big repairs, and if you are happy to walk away from €1700, fire away. If I didnt do the work needed on the E60 myself, it would have come to more than the car was worth, and I still couldn't solve all the effing leaks.

BTW - €1500 with a fail sheet? LOL. Priceless.

Hypothetically 1500 for a 07 e92 325i in a nice colour (such as black) with a fail sheet (even without), clean body work, interior and a well fitted msport kit would be easily attainable.

You're a very knowledgeable poster on here but I can't for the life of me see how you can't grasp that demand for such a car is completely different to the likes of the SE 520i e60 which you had, which seems to be where you're getting this notion that 6 pot e92s should be worth feck all too from.

They are apples and oranges when it comes to desireability and demand on the second hand market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

ongarite wrote: »

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-yaris-1-0-5dr-new-nct-03-22-high-spec/27549398

Surprised these aren't 10k now with the demand for them amongst delivery drivers!

ongarite wrote: »

It's a specimen yaris too, was that the top spec? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A Yaris with a hitch looks kind of weird.

Are the rear windows electric or windy on those?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

TigerTim wrote: »
    Price going only one way, down at €675 now

T.

Set up a gofundme, to buy that yoke and have it crushed

Are the rear windows electric or windy on those?

All Irish 5 door have windey windows in the back.

Here is full specs of that generation Yaris that I posted years ago
    colm_mcm wrote: »

Pre-facelift Yaris Irish specs (1999- mid 2003)

E
    Manual windows, manual locking, Cassette player, plastic steering wheel, plastic gearknob, unassisted steering, black bumpers, black handles. slide/recline rear seat, 13 inch steel wheels

Terra
    14 inch steel wheels, Power steering, Semi colour coded bumpers, colour coded handles, manual mirrors, front electric windows, central locking, dual airbags

Luna adds to Terra
    Fully colour coded bumpers, leather steering wheel and gearknob, nicer seats.

Sol adds to Terra
    Fully colour coded bumpers, Chrome Grille, Electric mirrors, Remote locking, CD player, height adjustable seat, velour interior trim

Pre-facelift Yaris UK specs (1999- mid 2003)
    Prefacelift_UK_interiors.jpg

Prefacelift_UK_exteriors.jpg
    S
    Manual windows, manual mirrors, manual locking, unassisted steering, plastic steering wheel, plastic gearknob, semi colour coded bumpers, black handles, slide/recline rear seat, 13 inch steel wheels, Cassette player

GS adds to S:
    14 inch steel wheels, power steering, colour coded handles, manual mirrors, front electric windows, central locking, dual airbags, rear headrests, ABS (from early 2001)

Colour Collection adds to GS:
    Fully colour coded bumpers, Leather steering wheel and gearknob.

GLS adds to GS:
    Fully colour coded bumpers, Chrome Grille, Electric mirrors, Manual sunroof, Height adjustable seat.

CDX adds to GLS:
    Satellite Navigation, Air Conditioning, Alloy Wheels, CD Player, Remote Locking, Leather Steering Wheel and Gearknob (from 2001)

Facelift Yaris Irish specs (mid 2003-late 2005)

Terra
    Coloured bumpers, ABS, Dual airbags, CD player, Front electric windows, coloured handles,

Luna adds to Terra
    Silver inserts in doors and heater, rear headrests, remote locking, leather gearknob

Sol adds to Luna
    14 inch alloys, front fogs, colour coded rubbing strips in bumpers, height adjust seat, electric mirrors.

Blue adds to Sol (2004 -2005)
    Chrome exhaust tip, scuff plates, remote audio, leather wheel (no elec mirrors or alloys)

Strata adds to Blue (2005 onwards)
    Alloy wheels

Facelift Yaris UK Specs (mid 2003-late 2005)
    f_ACELIFT_UK_INTERIORS.jpg

Facelift_YARIS_UK_Exterior.jpg

T2
    Colour coded bumpers
    Power Steering
    Drivers airbag
    Manual Windows
    Manual locking
    Rear headrests
    ABS

T3 adds to T2
    Passenger and side airbags
    Front electric Windows
    Remote central locking with double locking
    CD Player
    Leather Steering Wheel and Gearknob

T-Spirit adds to T3
    Air conditioning, Manual sunroof, Alloy wheels, Electric mirrors, Front fogs, colour coded rubbing strips in bumpers, height adjust seat, remote audio, satin silver trim on doors, gearknob and heater, colour coded mirrors

Colour Collection adds to T3
    Front fogs, colour coded rubbing strips in bumpers, height adjust seat, Chrome exhaust tip, scuff plates, remote audio. Colour coded mirrors

Blue adds to Colour Collection
    Alloy wheels

All Irish 5 door have windey windows in the back.

Here is full specs of that generation Yaris that I posted years ago

Cant train a dog to use those so its a no for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

That would put me right off any small car , who knows what they were lugging around with a 1 litr :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Barr wrote: »
    That would put me right off any small car , who knows what they were lugging around with a 1 litr :eek:

Probably justeat orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I wouldn't let the hitch worry me too much tbh.

Invariably with a Yaris it would be an elderly gent who gets one with a towbar.
    Usually used for carrying a lawnmower so they can cut their adult children’s lawns.

Hypothetically 1500 for a 07 e92 325i in a nice colour (such as black) with a fail sheet (even without), clean body work, interior and a well fitted msport kit would be easily attainable.

You clearly like these cars, and that statement makes perfect sense to you. Good luck.

You're a very knowledgeable poster on here but I can't for the life of me see how you can't grasp that demand for such a car is completely different to the likes of the SE 520i e60 which you had, which seems to be where you're getting this notion that 6 pot e92s should be worth feck all too from.

Most of that is from your own invented interpretation of my post. Let me clarify:
    1. I said a BMW 325 makes lousy bangernomics. Thats it.
    2. 1500 for a year later failed 325 ( pretty much what you paid for one with 12 month test) is bordering on delusional. Hoping to get a premium of over 50% of what you paid for it a year later, after doing no work to it for NCT is equally delusional. That car is cheap for a reason, and things wont magically get better for it.
    They are apples and oranges when it comes to desireability and demand on the second hand market.

"Desirability" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that statement, especially in Bangernomics, where budget and cost of repair are primary considerations.

Your thinking is less apples and oranges, and more Greater Fools theory. And there is nothing wrong with that, its just that "enthusiasts" at this end of the market are pretty thin on the ground.

Invariably with a Yaris it would be an elderly gent who gets one with a towbar.
    Usually used for carrying a lawnmower so they can cut their adult children’s lawns.

Good observation... Also for carrying weekly rubbish to the dump, if they are any way rural.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

The towbar can be a good replacement for parking sensor on those Yaris models.
    I rarely see one of them with the lower panel below bumper without a load of dents in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement