Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Pity all the same, it kind of had the look of a OAP's to-mass-and-the-shop conveyance

More of a sulky-races-to-circuit-court-appearance vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Say there's about a thousand percent chance that should be 220k

Its rage inducing that almost every car on Adverts and Done Deal has made the innocent mistake of listing the miles accidentally in kms - what are they hoping for?!?!

Also that the Developers involved allow you to enter 220 kilometres as total mileage......This messes up the search filters in a really irritating way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Anyone thinking of an Avensis of that era, mine cost €500 to pass the NCT, failed on rear swing arms [think that's what they're called].

Mechanic told me they are failing the majority of them on that one fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Its rage inducing that almost every car on Adverts and Done Deal has made the innocent mistake of listing the miles accidentally in kms - what are they hoping for?!?!

Also that the Developers involved allow you to enter 220 kilometres as total mileage......This messes up the search filters in a really irritating way.

Same crap here.

“Honda CR-V low miles” in header.

Listed as 10000 miles

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-cr-v-low-miles-new-nct-4x4/27641003

Turns out it’s 100000 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

trixiebust wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of an Avensis of that era, mine cost €500 to pass the NCT, failed on rear swing arms [think that's what they're called].

Mechanic told me they are failing the majority of them on that one fail.

Mine failed on them aswell they are expensive to source i paid just under €100 each on ebay, both local motor factors qouted not much under €400 for the pair and not much better on micks garage. i fitted them myself.

i found they were a pig to do and the corrosion would have been knocked off with a wire brush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

i found they were a pig to do and the corrosion would have been knocked off with a wire brush.

So you could have cleaned them up before hand(if you knew obviously) and it would have passed.

I remember someone on here failed on corroded brake lines and they just cleaned them up by wire brushing and then paint and they were fine. And the mad thing is same thing happened me failed on corroded brake line and all I did was wipe them down with a cloth didn't even wire brush and then paint like the guy did and I passed. But mine weren't even corroded though just grime on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

So you could have cleaned them up before hand(if you knew obviously) and it would have passed.

I can't say for 100% as if i cleaned and painted them NCT could claim i was trying to hide corrosion. although they were solid no where near the stage where a hammer would put a hole in them.

The nct crowd i have noticed have really cracked down on corrosion in general not necessarily a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The nct crowd i have noticed have really cracked down on corrosion in general

Yep the guy put a screw driver straight through my chassis rail last year and I had to get it welded up. Up soon enough for it's yearly evaluation but thanks to covid it was pushed back a few months.

Mango Joe wrote: »

Ive mentioned this before, but there is a bug in the export script from Donedeal to Adverts ( when you select to have it listed on adverts as well) that takes the mileage from DD ad and posts it as KM's on Adverts. I had to manually change the BMW ad for that reason.

Obviously doesnt explain all of them, but im sure some are down to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I remember someone on here failed on corroded brake lines and they just cleaned them up by wire brushing and then paint and they were fine. And the mad thing is same thing happened me failed on corroded brake line and all I did was wipe them down with a cloth didn't even wire brush and then paint like the guy did and I passed. But mine weren't even corroded though just grime on them.
    Possibly me? Possibly not me? In my case all I did was attack them with emery cloth, brillo pads and brasso. Didn't even paint them after and brake lines were absolutely solid underneath, just tarnished - not even that badly tarnished as I recall. Car was a Carina E. I'm not one of these cynical types that give out about the NCT at any opportunity but that just was ridiculous...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭rn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Can i plug this Pug (308). In-laws selling 2nd car. Its very clean ('cause I cleaned it) and it has a new NCT.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-peugeot-308-1-4-new-nct/27654774

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-1lt-yaris-new-brake-pads-and-discs-nct-done/27668653

Passed the NCT yesterday. New brake disks / pads, couple shocks fitted this week. 24 hours tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-a-160-cdi-classic/27677108

NmZkZGIwYTEzYWY2ZDNkNmZhZjU2ZDNmNDMzMGFjNTNQZJOkaz46_DnTtAStp-DeaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzU3NTAwOTl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Cheap tax 2008 A Class 2.0 diesel, NCT til September, bit of tax, €1490

Claimed low miles. They're a dumpy looking yoke, but is it worth 1500 quid?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/new-nct-today-taxed-super-low-miles-only-32-th/27676336

MjlkNThkZWU5N2UwZTlkMDhhNThlZTYwM2M4NDdkYTBy2XjN4zCBXDDL_0DvPMbbaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzU3NDM0Nzd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

07 Ka with 32k km, NCT til February 2022, tax all the way til October, €1475

These are likeable now I think, especially in this nice late spec with colour coding etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5 murph207

Hope this is allowed, sorry if not.

Cant link my ad as a new user, but have just advertised my Peugeot 207 on Adverts.
    2010, 1.4 diesel, red, 3 door.

NCT til Feb 22, Tax til October 21.

Asking is 2100, will let it go a bit under 2k. Should be easy to find the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

murph207 wrote: »
    Hope this is allowed, sorry if not.

Cant link my ad as a new user, but have just advertised my Peugeot 207 on Adverts.
    2010, 1.4 diesel, red, 3 door.

NCT til Feb 22, Tax til October 21.

Asking is 2100, will let it go a bit under 2k. Should be easy to find the ad.
    This? https://www.adverts.ie/car/peugeot/207/2010-peugeot-207-nct-02-22-tax-10-21/23345777

Personally, I skip anything that hides the reg. Pointless.

the_syco wrote: »
    Personally, I skip anything that hides the reg. Pointless.

That's the one, thanks.

What's wrong with hiding the plates? I've never sold a car before but I was told it was the thing to do due to the possibility of cloning?
    Sorry if I'm dead wrong on that. Obviously the reg can be shared with anyone actually interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Seller of that Avensis says the mileage is 220k

Looked, can’t see that....know 22k is unlikely

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Looked, can’t see that....know 22k is unlikely

I asked him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭User1998

That's the one, thanks.

What's wrong with hiding the plates? I've never sold a car before but I was told it was the thing to do due to the possibility of cloning?
    Sorry if I'm dead wrong on that. Obviously the reg can be shared with anyone actually interested.

Do you cover the plates in your garden to shield them from people walking past?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

User1998 wrote: »

Alryt kid easy there. Read the room :)

Nothing wrong with not publishing your reg plate. For whatever reason. It's only an issue for time wasters browsing ads who get their knickers in a twist over it. I often blur out the plate, I've never had one buyer complain. If someone didnt call me because of that, then I probably saved time by avoiding a muppet.

The car is what it is. If you are interested, call and ask questions. If not, jog on.

No, but there's a lot more people on the internet than there is walking by my house. I'm no conspiracy theorist but if someone wanted a plate for the same model 207 they'd get it a lot quicker browsing Adverts than going out looking for the same model, so it makes sense to me.

As I said in my first post, never sold a car before, just did what I thought was the done thing when advertising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

Nothing wrong with not publishing your reg plate. For whatever reason. It's only an issue for time wasters browsing ads who get their knickers in a twist over it. I often blur out the plate, I've never had one buyer complain. If someone didnt call me because of that, then I probably saved time by avoiding a muppet.

The car is what it is. If you are interested, call and ask questions. If not, jog on.

Don't hide your reg... What else are you hiding a prospective purchaser is thinking

McCrack wrote: »
    Don't hide your reg... What else are you hiding a prospective purchaser is thinking

If thats what they are thinking they can jog on. If they are interested in the car they can pick up the phone. Why wouldn't Donedeal Greenlight verification not be enough for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If I'm interested in a car, I'll use the reg to check it's history. No reg, can't check. Will just look at the next car; plenty will show their reg.

Also, saying "Genuine reason for sale" is pointless when there's no reason for selling listed.
    Why wouldn't Donedeal Greenlight verification not be enough for them?
    It's not on DoneDeal.

If I'm interested in a car, I'll use the reg to check it's history. No reg, can't check. Will just look at the next car; plenty will show their reg.

How much, on average, do you spend on reg checks? Is that before you even call the seller?
    On bangernomics budget cars?

I only reg check cars that I am serious about, after doing other due diligence, such as talking to the seller.

McCrack wrote: »

I would've thought 10 years using Adverts with only positive feedback would be sufficient enough to know I'm not hiding anything. At least I'd think nothing of it anyway if I was the buyer once the feedback was there. Fair enough though!

Would you not rather see the car or at least chat to the seller first? All you have to do is ask someone to send you a PM with the reg, wouldn't bother me in the least.

Thanks for the feedback anyway lads. Didn't intend coming in here to ruffle any feathers.

If anyone is interested who happens across my posts, just make an arbitrary offer on the ad and I'll happily provide you any details. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How much, on average, do you spend on reg checks? Is that before you even call the seller?
    On bangernomics budget cars?

I only reg check cars that I am serious about, after doing other due diligence, such as talking to the seller.

I’d always run free verification checks before calling, like motortax.ie, cornmarket for last chance of ownership, carsireland for number of owners, NCT site to verify expiry. Google the reg cos you never know what might come up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement