Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

pah wrote: »
    This is over the budget a smidge bit I reckon 2k would buy it. Seriously tempted tbh

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-mercedes-e220cdi-7-seater-nct-6-2020/22963012

Must be for sale by somebody reading here, as it's now showing as exactly 2k! :D

[EDIT]That's actually fierce cheap! Just looking at others, and for a 2008 at that money, it's almost half what they tend to make. If that car has no issues, it would be an absolute bargain[/EDIT]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nice yoke for you?

It’s lovely, but I’m not getting rid of the Civic just yet. I was very tempted by that 2010 Octavia the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deminiman

Pretty sure that car belongs to the Patrician Brothers who have a house in that estate

I wonder why they had the hitch fitted. A convincing salesman perhaps!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Deminiman wrote: »

I know of quite a few done so for parking as other cars would hit that 1st...

Then also a parking aid itself.... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭jmreire

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Must be for sale by somebody reading here, as it's now showing as exactly 2k! :D

Nice car, and good value for money.Would not mind taking a punt if I was in the market.;)

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-2-0-executive/23119717?campaign=3

YjYzOGI0OTgyNDc2MGE2NGUwNTRkMDZjMDI4OWZiZTM-elijsxkfVeejTVnkJah1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzM1OTk5MDZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Tidy looking petrol Accord with NCT till next May for €900

Seems a genuine car. Nice spec too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-2-0-executive/23119717?campaign=3

YjYzOGI0OTgyNDc2MGE2NGUwNTRkMDZjMDI4OWZiZTM-elijsxkfVeejTVnkJah1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzM1OTk5MDZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I had a similar car earlier this year. Taxed, nct'd and in good condition with a nice spoiler on the back :) I ended up giving it away in the end as it was impossible to shift it.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mankteln

Looks lovely. Would be tempted but my insurance would be ridiculous for a 2L petrol of that vintage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Make sure you get a quote before you dismiss it on those grounds - you might be surprised.

Insurance companies seem to act randomly.

Deminiman wrote: »
    I'd feel much safer in a car with a hitch fitted,,if I never used it to tow a trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

mankteln wrote: »
    Looks lovely. Would be tempted but my insurance would be ridiculous for a 2L petrol of that vintage

Only way to know is to call with the reg. You could be very well surprised. I looked up a range of cars and older with bigger engines, gave cheaper quotes in response. I just didn't find any good examples of those particular cars. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

colm_mcm wrote: »

I contacted seller of the Corolla by text asking if mileage was genuine and if it had any service history ? . . . . . . . His reply was "No not the original, I clocked the car and wrote that on the ad for the craic".

He's clearly read the book "How to win friends and influence people" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

mankteln wrote: »

Get a quote. I got quoted what I get quoted for my 09 focus so it could be ok.

I contacted seller of the Corolla by text asking if mileage was genuine and if it had any service history ? . . . . . . . His reply was "No not the original, I clocked the car and wrote that on the ad for the craic".

He's clearly read the book "How to win friends and influence people" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Its very rare that cars like this have any sort of history to be honest. Drivers doing that kind of mileage are very seldom concerned with maintenance at all. As the old cliche goes it probably comes out once or twice a week to go to mass and the shops up the road.

Its always lovely yo get a fully stamped book and a fistful of receipts, especially to compliment a lovely low mileage figure, but its never the case.

Still though, it was a valid question to ask and the owner could have just answered you like any normal person would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

How did you phrase the question? Could have come across as questioning his honesty really..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Silly question to ask really. If it was not genuine did you expect him to tell you? When selling a car I also never answer questions by text

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭pah

A smartarse. I like him.

Maybe he just assumed you had read the book "how to lose friends and alienate people"

:rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

YTk4-Nj-Y3-Nz-Uz-N2-Jm-N2-U2-Nz-E0-Zj-Zj-Zm-Fm-ZTE1-Yj-Qy-ZGTOb-U1-Jh0-Zqv68-VHmve-Qx-Q.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-impreza-estate-fsh-nct-6-20-1495/23131804

06 4x4 impreza wagon
    Test till next June
    Few weeks tax
    Supposedly a full stamped service history
    And a recent timing belt change
    Looks clean
    For sale by a dealer
    Asking €1495

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Make sure you get a quote before you dismiss it on those grounds - you might be surprised.

Insurance companies seem to act randomly.

Yeah. I went from a 08 Ford Focus 1.4 petrol to a 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3 petrol last week and my insurance went up by €300. Not too bad considering the difference..

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Another stately Corolla with low mileage, asking €650, NCT till Feb. 2020

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-toyota-corolla-1-4-vvti-only-33k/23114807

ZWRiMTgwMWUzM2M2ZWY0ZGEzYzQ4ZjQ1ODY5ODg5NDINQzILmO_HUG2AKrja7teraHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzM1NTc5Mzl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

BOSTIK wrote: »
    Another stately Corolla with low mileage, asking €650, NCT till Feb. 2020

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-toyota-corolla-1-4-vvti-only-33k/23114807

ZWRiMTgwMWUzM2M2ZWY0ZGEzYzQ4ZjQ1ODY5ODg5NDINQzILmO_HUG2AKrja7teraHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzM1NTc5Mzl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I've heard corollas being called lots of things,however,stately was never one of them.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I've heard corollas being called lots of things,however,stately was never one of them.:D

There's a load of them being re-called now too!

YTk4-Nj-Y3-Nz-Uz-N2-Jm-N2-U2-Nz-E0-Zj-Zj-Zm-Fm-ZTE1-Yj-Qy-ZGTOb-U1-Jh0-Zqv68-VHmve-Qx-Q.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-impreza-estate-fsh-nct-6-20-1495/23131804

06 4x4 impreza wagon
    Test till next June
    Few weeks tax
    Supposedly a full stamped service history
    And a recent timing belt change
    Looks clean
    For sale by a dealer
    Asking €1495

Awful looking thing.

Yeah. I went from a 08 Ford Focus 1.4 petrol to a 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3 petrol last week and my insurance went up by €300. Not too bad considering the difference..

Awhile back, I posted a question on this forum, about what was the experience of people who bought bangernomics, and how they fared out with the insurance afterwards. ..and I nearly got the head taken off me...mod warning " this is not the insurance forum etc. etc." yet it is relevant, which was the reason I asked the question in the first place.I'm not talking about general car insurance, just bangernomic's, given the current insurance " Uncertainties". So how has it worked for anyone who bought a bangernomic?

jmreire wrote: »
    Awhile back, I posted a question on this forum, about what was the experience of people who bought bangernomics, and how they fared out with the insurance afterwards. ..and I nearly got the head taken off me...mod warning " this is not the insurance forum etc. etc." yet it is relevant, which was the reason I asked the question in the first place.I'm not talking about general car insurance, just bangernomic's, given the current insurance " Uncertainties". So how has it worked for anyone who bought a bangernomic?

Did the mods of the accommodation and property forum take over that day?

I bought an 05 corolla off here for the missus, last December, it went up about 250 a year from a 03 Megane with same size engine. Nuts I think, she has no claims, only issue is she drives on her Portuguese licence, she won't bother getting an Irish one. I've tried convincing her to no avail!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Its very rare that cars like this have any sort of history to be honest. Drivers doing that kind of mileage are very seldom concerned with maintenance at all. As the old cliche goes it probably comes out once or twice a week to go to mass and the shops up the road.

Its always lovely yo get a fully stamped book and a fistful of receipts, especially to compliment a lovely low mileage figure, but its never the case.

Still though, it was a valid question to ask and the owner could have just answered you like any normal person would do.

Probably the 10th time he’d been asked that question that day.

terrydel wrote: »

I bought an 05 corolla off here for the missus, last December, it went up about 250 a year from a 03 Megane with same size engine. Nuts I think, she has no claims, only issue is she drives on her Portuguese licence, she won't bother getting an Irish one. I've tried convincing her to no avail!

A little bit different,,,I bought an 2003 A6 in 2015, insurance was €320.00 ( happy day's ) then the 2016 quote came in € 1175.00, now the car only cost €1700.00......so the moral of the story would be ( and most would do this) no matter what bangernomics bargain you are interested in, check the insurance cost's before doing the deal. And that was my interest in the subject, has anyone been "caught" in this situation?

A little bit different,,,I bought an 2003 A6 in 2015, insurance was €320.00 ( happy day's ) then the 2016 quote came in € 1175.00, now the car only cost €1700.00......so the moral of the story would be ( and most would do this) no matter what bangernomics bargain you are interested in, check the insurance cost's before doing the deal. And that was my interest in the subject, has anyone been "caught" in this situation?

Did you pay that? That's criminal. How did they justify it?
    I worked for one of the big insurers for 14 years, they are cowboys all of them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I have a 01 A6 1.8T and my insurance is coming in at €395 for fully comp. I've added a few extras and it's €470, so dunno who's quoting you that.

Im with AXA atm and they seem to be fairly competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Awful looking thing.

Ah I dunno. They're funky enough looking like but in an interesting sorta way.

160bhp and decent handling too so not the worst of drives either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement