Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

User1998 wrote: »
    Do you cover the plates in your garden to shield them from people walking past?

No, but it is infinitely easier to find correct car for cloning online. Just type make, model and pick correct colour. You also don't want to clone reg from the neighborhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Can we stop with the handbags and get back to posting some bangers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’d always run free verification checks before calling, like motortax.ie, cornmarket for last chance of ownership, carsireland for number of owners, NCT site to verify expiry. Google the reg cos you never know what might come up.

All those could be answered by the seller!"How long have you had the car, is it in your name?" are the first things i ask. If you have time on your hands, fine, but i cant see myself going through all that for *every* possible candidate. Maybe at 2/3 possibles, but then the call is still quicker. Also, I get a better idea of the seller from speaking to them than Cartell can ever give you, if you know what i mean.

But i take your point on the free stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d rather know the answers to the questions before I ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

I’d rather know the answers to the questions before I ask them.

Not putting the reg up spares me the hassle of dealing with that sort of thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

All those could be answered by the seller!"How long have you had the car, is it in your name?" are the first things i ask. If you have time on your hands, fine, but i cant see myself going through all that for *every* possible candidate. Maybe at 2/3 possibles, but then the call is still quicker. Also, I get a better idea of the seller from speaking to them than Cartell can ever give you, if you know what i mean.
    Because everyone works a 9-5 and there's no such thing as night shift :rolleyes:

The last 2 cars i bought i came across at 3am. Thankfully the sellers included the registration so I could do some initial free checks. Not sure they'd have appreciated a call at that hour to answer stuff i could search out myself. I did my homework and contacted them the next day when I was happy with what I'd found.

Like others I just don't understand hiding registration details. Why would you even care about cloning when you plan to sell the car, and if successful it won't be yours anymore so what's to be worried about?!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Drew P. Wiener

I’d say it’s quite rough in the flesh. Obviously it’s small money and it shouldn’t matter, but I’d sooner buy a car at this level privately from the owner rather than someone who probably bought it for €200 and is flipping it.

There is also feck all test on it, I’d hold out for something better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-a-160-cdi-classic/27677108

NmZkZGIwYTEzYWY2ZDNkNmZhZjU2ZDNmNDMzMGFjNTNQZJOkaz46_DnTtAStp-DeaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzU3NTAwOTl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Cheap tax 2008 A Class 2.0 diesel, NCT til September, bit of tax, €1490

Claimed low miles. They're a dumpy looking yoke, but is it worth 1500 quid?

Are these any good? They seem to be a favourite amongst many of the immgrants here who are looking for a cheap runaround.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

Avoid Fiords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Eric the awful..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Possibly me? Possibly not me? In my case all I did was attack them with emery cloth, brillo pads and brasso. Didn't even paint them after and brake lines were absolutely solid underneath, just tarnished - not even that badly tarnished as I recall. Car was a Carina E. I'm not one of these cynical types that give out about the NCT at any opportunity but that just was ridiculous...

That was most likely me. About 8 years ago. Citroen Xantia HDi. I posted the exact same thing. Wire brush and then painted black and gold stars all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Same crap here.

“Honda CR-V low miles” in header.

Listed as 10000 miles

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-cr-v-low-miles-new-nct-4x4/27641003

Turns out it’s 100000 miles

In fairness Colm, and I take your point here as you're a longtime car-head, but 100,000 miles, if verifiable, IS low mileage in a petrol CRV. Should do 250k no problems.
    I'm heading for 250 in my 06 diesel and I do expect 350 from that.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    In fairness Colm, and I take your point here as you're a longtime car-head, but 100,000 miles, if verifiable, IS low mileage in a petrol CRV. Should do 250k no problems.
    I'm heading for 250 in my 06 diesel and I do expect 350 from that.

Quite. But in the description it’s listed as 10,000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They must be reading this thread as it's updated to 160,000 km/100,000 miles in the advert description now.

9-FA25005-83-C1-4-C1-C-A887-6-C418-D72-A934.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1997-nissan-micra-1-0-3-door/27685575

Yjg0ZmY1MDU2MjkzODIwYjRhNjdmN2U3NjVhZDk0M2Ud0qhnoTexR_gW2Ez1GzOzaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzU4NDIyOTR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1 owner, 60k miles, 3 door, from a dealer and "will have new NCT" for €495

This is one for sympathetic preservation IMO. Nice spec too. They're a nice little car

That’ll have power steering too.

I think they’re a pox of a yoke though. Dubs have a weird love for them.

I think the boot release lever was another of the less obvious extras the GX had
    Actually the petrol flap lever was on them too, it was a keyhole on the standard one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

That’ll have power steering too.

I think they’re a pox of a yoke though. Dubs have a weird love for them.

I think the boot release lever was another of the less obvious extras the GX had

Had the loan of a 2002 one about 10 years ago, couldn't believe how easy run it was,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

How is that one owner. I thought dealers aren't registered as owners.

• Advertisement

The later facelifted ones were much improved, especially the gearbox.

How is that one owner. I thought dealers aren't registered as owners.

If it was a private sale ad, it would show as 0 previous owners (as per the reg cert)
    Last year donedeal trade ads added an owner for some weird reason.

Saw Corn Market mentioned, anyone got a link for the check they have?

Saw Corn Market mentioned, anyone got a link for the check they have?

https://www.cornmarket.ie/car-insurance-quotes/
    Put reg in here, site is a bit slow and clunky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1997-nissan-micra-1-0-3-door/27685575

Yjg0ZmY1MDU2MjkzODIwYjRhNjdmN2U3NjVhZDk0M2Ud0qhnoTexR_gW2Ez1GzOzaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzU4NDIyOTR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1 owner, 60k miles, 3 door, from a dealer and "will have new NCT" for €495

This is one for sympathetic preservation IMO. Nice spec too. They're a nice little car

500E with a fresh NCT?

Can't go wrong surely, not powerful, it glamorous, but trouble free cheap driving for a year for someone.

500E with a fresh NCT?

Can't go wrong surely, not powerful, it glamorous, but trouble free cheap driving for a year for someone.

He has it booked in for an NCT next Monday to be fair to him. Provided one could insure it reasonably enough it would make fine bangernomics motoring for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

He has it booked in for an NCT next Monday to be fair to him. Provided one could insure it reasonably enough it would make fine bangernomics motoring for a year.

I drove a 97 one as my first car for 3 years. Bought in 2013 and it was one lady owner who used it for short spins to the shop and mass. An unreal little car and I loved it. Took me all over the country, cheap to fix anything wrong with it and flew through every NCT.

Ended up writing it off when I was almost home one day, kid ran out in front of me from behind a blind spot so I went straight into a couple of bollards to try and get the car away from him. Was going slow enough through a village but smashed up the front.

Poor ****er bawled his eyes out but sure it could have been worse.

Anyway, love the car. Missed it every day.

Theres something very appealing about earlier examples, IMO they lost some charm (rich, I know, to describe a Micra..) when they facelift them. 3 door and nice spec adds to the overall appeal too.

I had a lovely 02 one out of a convent about two years ago, with very low miles. I did kind of think about keeping it but it was auto and 5 door and figured it would never really be very desirable.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-1-4i-se-2004/27688581

ZjU1ZGFmNDkyNDBiOWU2Y2YxNzZmZjVlYzdhY2RkNDZFu2cgU__BrV8oLlcGHeD0aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzU4NjY0OTB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

2 owner 04 Civic with 29k miles, NCT til October, €1450

This looks nice. I do love a low miler

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-audi-a4-1-8-turbo-s-line/27682332?campaign=3

Y2M4M2FhNzhhY2YyODBiMWUxMzQ5NDBlNTBmMTQ0YzMlD1-hT3PPf8UAF8F1yqSgaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzU3OTk0NDB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1 owner, low mileage 1.8t with NCT til March 2022, €1650

This is very nice. Someone should get this bought

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement