Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Is the 1.6 Mondeo engine as boring as the 1.6 Focus engine?

Yep, and as troublesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is the 1.6 Mondeo engine as boring as the 1.6 Focus engine?

It’s the Ti-VCT engine that was optional on the 1.6 Focus, so it’s not as flat as the standard Mk2 Focus 1.6 engine. It’s lugging around a bit more weight though so it’s working harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Yep, and as troublesome.

Really? My experience with them is the exact opposite.

I think you're confusing the 1.6 petrol with the 1.6 diesel. That one posted is a petrol and a great engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

This is my brother selling our Dads car. He only had it for a short time while he was between his previous car that failed NCT and him getting a new car that he had to wait on due to covid.

Might get someone out of a bit of bother. Tax isn't outrageous and its economical enough. I've driven it and it was a better experience than I expected tbh.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-almera-long-nct-tax-only122k-km-/27950048

Yeah, I know the photos are brutal, I told him to change them but he wont.

• Advertisement

Hmmm. Not sure why the link says only 122k km either unless he had it wrong first. Its 131k miles and it says that in the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭elperello

dobman88 wrote: »
    Hmmm. Not sure why the link says only 122k km either unless he had it wrong first. Its 131k miles and it says that in the ad.

It's all kosher.

You can see the 131miles in km on the NCT disc in pic 8.

(car looks to be in good nick)

elperello wrote: »
    It's all kosher.

You can see the 131miles in km on the NCT disc in pic 8.

(car looks to be in good nick)

Yeah 131k miles is definitely correct. About 210k km as you say on the NCT disc.

Car is in great nick tbf. Aul lad isnt a hard driver and brother loves his cars so it's been minded since we got it. Whoever buys it will have a nice car for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

God hateful cars, need a tanker with you too....

I wouldn't class them cheap to run.

God hateful cars, need a tanker with you too....

I wouldn't class them cheap to run.

Nobody said they were cheap to run tbf.

I said tax isn't outrageous, it isnt. And its "economical enough" which it was for us. Aul lad driving to and from work and to the shop on a Saturday. 50 or 60 quid petrol every 2 weeks and it was driven handy.

At the end of the day it's a 07 car for about 7/800 quid. It's up to the new owner to drive it as easy or as hard as they want.

• Advertisement

Nobody said they were cheap to run tbf.

I said tax isn't outrageous, it isnt. And its "economical enough" which it was for us. Aul lad driving to and from work and to the shop on a Saturday. 50 or 60 quid petrol every 2 weeks and it was driven handy.

At the end of the day it's a 07 car for about 7/800 quid. It's up to the new owner to drive it as easy or as hard as they want.

Nut you said they're economical, they're far from it.

Nut you said they're economical, they're far from it.

I said "economical enough" and explained why above if you'd like to read the post again.

I'm not sure what issue you have so I'll leave you to it.

I said "economical enough" and explained why above if you'd like to read the post again.

I'm not sure what issue you have so I'll leave you to it.

They're a horrible car, drove many, gearbox issues and clutch issues, drank petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,036 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

ba_barabus wrote: »
    We had one from new, a 2007 1.6l LX. It was almost a nice car but that spec was miserable in ways. And the engine just revved, drank petrol and never did anything but else.

I always hated it however as when my dad brought me along to look it over we test drove a 2l liter diesel Ghia and he loved it. Felt like a roacket ship compare with our '99 Avensis. Arrived home a few weeks later with the LX...........

I know exactly how you felt. That is exactly what my old lad did when he went from a top spec Skoda Octavia to a big standard crappy LX 2004 Mondeo worst time to buy that car. No fogs, no rear electric windows, no electric mirrors, no alloys and he thought it was better lol. Hell I was surprised that it had power steering the spec was so bad and not long after the Platnium special edition came out with more spec for not much more not that I would have liked it any better. I hated that Mondeo. The next gen the one your Dad bought was a much nicer car altogether.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

They're a horrible car, drove many, gearbox issues and clutch issues, drank petrol.

It's 800 euro car tested for almost a year and taxed until July.

Not a fancy car, but reliability wise not the worst option. Sure you can buy a Merc or a Beemer for that money, too...

It's cheap and road legal. Could keep someone on the road for a while.

Jesus lads what do ye expect for 800 asking... They're grand and if it's minded well which it looks to be it's worth a punt for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

wonski wrote: »
    It's 800 euro car tested for almost a year and taxed until July.

Not a fancy car, but reliability wise not the worst option. Sure you can buy a Merc or a Beemer for that money, too...

It's cheap and road legal. Could keep someone on the road for a while.

But but but they are horrible, gearbox and clutch issues, drinks petrol yet despite all that I've driven many :rolleyes:

This is my brother selling our Dads car. He only had it for a short time while he was between his previous car that failed NCT and him getting a new car that he had to wait on due to covid.

Might get someone out of a bit of bother. Tax isn't outrageous and its economical enough. I've driven it and it was a better experience than I expected tbh.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-almera-long-nct-tax-only122k-km-/27950048

Yeah, I know the photos are brutal, I told him to change them but he wont.

I'd be all over that once the pandemic ends

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mini-one-1-6-nct/27973662?campaign=3

Fresh NCT valid until December.
    Seller claims new brakes all round and good tires.

What not to like?

551773.jpeg

€1150 asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

Dirt....

• Advertisement

Oops! wrote: »
    Dirt....

Looks clean enough for just a little over 1k ;)

I'd be all over that once the pandemic ends

Sold this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

Sold this evening.

Apart from not being very encouraging while trying to overtake - i couldn't fault the almera i had for about 2 years . Grand bangernomics car. And like your father's my one sold quickly once advertised

• Registered Users Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Doublebusy wrote: »
    Apart from not being very encouraging while trying to overtake - i couldn't fault the almera i had for about 2 years . Grand bangernomics car. And like your father's my one sold quickly once advertised

Having a realistic price plus a bit of tax and decent nct helps a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

Cant fault a decent almera very little maintenance required, I sold my 2 yrs ago to an American living/working here wanted it for commuting. tested no tax for €750.

it popped up on donedeal a month ago for €200 test just out and one of the really nice alloys (that i bought for it) was damaged beyond repair and car absolutely filthy in pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

http://www.adverts.ie/23589911
    Fresh, if short, test, reasonable mileage and looks very clean. Engine isn't exciting, but overall looks like respectable motoring for the money.
    Can be tested early next month for another year I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

wonski wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mini-one-1-6-nct/27973662?campaign=3

Fresh NCT valid until December.
    Seller claims new brakes all round and good tires.

What not to like?

€1150 asking price.

How good/bad are these - the mk1?

I bought an 08 1.4 petrol mk2 one last year for my partner and it's hands down the worst car I've ever had in terms of stuff breaking and general reliability, feckin lovely car to drive though.

Don't think they are known for their reliability, but it did last 15 years and had nct done last months so could be OK.

I am not looking at reliability stats for 15 years old cars. I bought 06 Alfa GT last summer and still driving it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sirtoyou

After buying the Yaris Verso posted here a few weeks ago, my Yaris is for sale. Full Valet & Tank of Petrol (about 6 weeks worth) €600 spent prior to NCT in March.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris/27989389

Any advert improvement advice welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/golf-tdi-2002-highline-130-bhp-nct-march-2022/27991242

MTU1MTdlMjNlNDRiYzAwYTAxNWJmMmYxZGI5NjlhM2V_K6iK4PH9MxPCz1jks7LlaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzg5NjkxMjl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1 lady owner Irish-from-new 130 bhp Highline Golf with NCT til next year and a few days tax, €1400

Is it too expensive? Are people still buying these?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement