Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Probably not, but i'd doubt he would be too stuck on the price. Its a niche car at this stage, I only posted it out of an interest in them myself!

Hertz rented me one of those back in the day ( a blue MG ZS) out of Dublin. Had a blast with it, but was shocked by how cheap it felt. I liked it, but them I had the luxury of handing it back after a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Something a bit different:

NDQ3MDNiMjQ3OTI3MGI0NWE3NjU4YTE1Y2FhODEzNzDPCzMeoYVvhlxKd2W0MKz4aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzM1MDU1NTZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Long NCT, tiny mileage, looks tidy, and 1.4 k-series not nearly as horrible as the internet would have you believe. Just look beyond the biscuit tin build quality and soak up the admiring curious glances.

At €1150 its worth a punt.

My brother had the 1996 400 version of this.

It was some money pit, I'd say it was the worst car he's owned.

The body shape is identical, I hope the engine isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-saab-93-1-9-tdi-automatic-march-20-nct/23015792?campaign=8

NjBmYTk5YWYxNWMzMTM4M2IxMDhmOTdiYWM1ODM1ZjQ6s5Ik7a35SlyabS3-uDajaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzI4NTY2NzR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Diesel, auto, NCT till March 2020 - €650

1 previous owner, Irish from new and only 75k miles (if it is to be believed, which I would). This could be a nice yoke if it all checks out

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

bear1 wrote: »
    I did yeah, Jesus small world :)
    Anything I should know about it? Seems tight as a drum.

Yeah, small world! I traded it in against a Jag XF estate (got €500 for it...).

I had it for about 5 years and it was rock solid all the time. We replaced the rear shocks, and other wearables but that was it. It also got regular servicing. It just got 2 new tyres earlier this year, can't remember front or back. But the other two need changing also as they are quite old.

When we traded it in it needed a new exhaust. We had hoped it could be welded but our mechanic checked it out and it was blown in quite a few places and couldn't be welded/repaired.

We were intending to change the car next year anyway, but with a new exhaust and 2 tyres needed for the NCT in December we decided to change it.

I've no idea if Holden changed the exhaust so I would check that out if I were you. The main place it was blown was the connection just behind the cat, where it couldn't be welded as there was a double skin on one side of the join.

All in all it is a great car, rock solid reliable. We had bought it to tide us for for a year and kept it for nearly 5, so that says it all.

4 wheel drive was great fun in the snow :)

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

curiousb wrote: »
    Yeah, small world! I traded it in against a Jag XF estate (got €500 for it...).

I had it for about 5 years and it was rock solid all the time. We replaced the rear shocks, and other wearables but that was it. It also got regular servicing. It just got 2 new tyres earlier this year, can't remember front or back. But the other two need changing also as they are quite old.

When we traded it in it needed a new exhaust. We had hoped it could be welded but our mechanic checked it out and it was blown in quite a few places and couldn't be welded/repaired.

We were intending to change the car next year anyway, but with a new exhaust and 2 tyres needed for the NCT in December we decided to change it.

I've no idea if Holden changed the exhaust so I would check that out if I were you. The main place it was blown was the connection just behind the cat, where it couldn't be welded as there was a double skin on one side of the join.

All in all it is a great car, rock solid reliable. We had bought it to tide us for for a year and kept it for nearly 5, so that says it all.

4 wheel drive was great fun in the snow :)

Best of luck with it.

I thought I could hear a little rattle off of it.
    Cheers for the write up cause it gives me a clue what was happening since the last of the service history.
    You took good care of it :)
    Incidentally do you know when the belt and pump were last changed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

They've aged well in terms of looks. Shame they've such awful engines. Where are the fog lights? Integrated into the headlights?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

terrydel wrote: »
    They've aged well in terms of looks. Shame they've such awful engines. Where are the fog lights? Integrated into the headlights?

Nope. DRLs are...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Some of the early lower sales rep spec Insignias didn't have front fog lights. Same with the manual handbrake over the electric one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

Harcrid wrote: »

Looks like a right good bargain, but deservedly or not, they don't seem to have a very good reputation...Still, if you wanted to make a bit of an investment into the future, and had a nice big dry shed, could be a good one to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

terrydel wrote: »

That model doesn't have front fog lights. They would be on the small grills down low below the headlights.

Something a bit different:

NDQ3MDNiMjQ3OTI3MGI0NWE3NjU4YTE1Y2FhODEzNzDPCzMeoYVvhlxKd2W0MKz4aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzM1MDU1NTZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Long NCT, tiny mileage, looks tidy, and 1.4 k-series not nearly as horrible as the internet would have you believe. Just look beyond the biscuit tin build quality and soak up the admiring curious glances.

At €1150 its worth a punt.

Now if it was the Rover 75 series 2.0 ltr, Connoisseur CDTI,,, that would be something else...;)

lawred2 wrote: »

We had two of them in the Family,,,nice looking, and comfortable to drive,,, well specced at the higher end, but the engines were a bit of a let down. There wont be a 3rd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭tnegun

Beacuse the engines gave trouble or were boring?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭tonytiger81

I have a 07 V50 2.0 diesel and the tax is 710. The emissions on that must be s**t if it’s 750 p.a. That said I find it a comfy place to be when sitting in rush hour traffic. Main problems in mine so far have been electrical (plus two clutches) but it’s done 250k km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

I have a 07 V50 2.0 diesel and the tax is 710. The emissions on that must be s**t if it’s 750 p.a. That said I find it a comfy place to be when sitting in rush hour traffic. Main problems in mine so far have been electrical (plus two clutches) but it’s done 250k km

I have a 05 V50 1.8 & my tax is €636 pa. Must have went up post 2008 tax wise.

Mines still amazingly comfortable for a 15 year old car. Nothing gone wrong in the first 3 months of ownership. Feels like something that will go forever.

Nothing wrong with a sleeper of a Volvo with the 5 pot 2.4 or so plant....

Love the memories of having little dices in them...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-glx/23200625

MWM1ODdjMDU3OGY1Mzg5MTY2MTM0ZTcwNjY5MDljODC8iUsQxYYkcHu5zQ042FxlaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzQyMjk5NDh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NCT till the end of April 2020, €250 and seller will take an offer

Pity its not diesel, but a handy runaround still for someone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-glx/23200625

MWM1ODdjMDU3OGY1Mzg5MTY2MTM0ZTcwNjY5MDljODC8iUsQxYYkcHu5zQ042FxlaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzQyMjk5NDh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NCT till the end of April 2020, €250 and seller will take an offer

Pity its not diesel, but a handy runaround still for someone

€100 more will get you this 07 diesel!
    NCT until January, but it will need 2 tyres and a set of brake discs for next test
    Would still be a cheap 07 diesel

ODM2ZDJhMmQxODAxNDg3MDA2MTQwMjczOTI5YzkyYmEE-msVD0y_O3rkWMtqd2F_aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzQyNzQ4MDZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Advertisement

tnegun wrote: »
    Beacuse the engines gave trouble or were boring?
    The first one, was a 2010 Insignia, it had I think 130'000 Klms on the clock when he bought it... he put another 40'000 on it. He had it serviced at the local Opel Main Dealer's, and had to call them out on a few occasions to fix it when it broke down, At the last service, they told him that there were some problems with it ( pipe feeding the turbo, was one item, but there were others as well) total estimated cost was €2'500 + as they could not be 100% sure that was everything, until they did the job.
    But luckily, at that moment he met their sales man, and they had just the right car for him. A 2015 demo, with just an unbelievable 10'000 Klms on the clock,,,ready for the road, but would not remain for sale for long, so make your mind up time. He bought. He drove this car for 80'000 Klms before selling it on.
    Basically, why he decided against any more Opels was the cost. For the first one, the €2'500 + cost when added to the depreciation, made it an uneconomical proposition. He sold the newer one for basically the same reason..depreciation, but also he was afraid that while he had it, it was fine, but he did not want to drive it into "Breakdown" territory.
    They are a fine looking car, with a comfortable cabin, they handle well on the road, but they do not have good reputation, and this is reflected in the depreciation. Like everything else, you will hear from Opel owners who have had nothing but good experience with them, and would not drive anything else.

jmreire wrote: »
    The first one, was a 2010 Insignia, it had I think 130'000 Klms on the clock when he bought it... he put another 40'000 on it. He had it serviced at the local Opel Main Dealer's, and had to call them out on a few occasions to fix it when it broke down, At the last service, they told him that there were some problems with it ( pipe feeding the turbo, was one item, but there were others as well) total estimated cost was €2'500 + as they could not be 100% sure that was everything, until they did the job.
    But luckily, at that moment he met their sales man, and they had just the right car for him. A 2015 demo, with just an unbelievable 10'000 Klms on the clock,,,ready for the road, but would not remain for sale for long, so make your mind up time. He bought. He drove this car for 80'000 Klms before selling it on.
    Basically, why he decided against any more Opels was the cost. For the first one, the €2'500 + cost when added to the depreciation, made it an uneconomical proposition. He sold the newer one for basically the same reason..depreciation, but also he was afraid that while he had it, it was fine, but he did not want to drive it into "Breakdown" territory.
    They are a fine looking car, with a comfortable cabin, they handle well on the road, but they do not have good reputation, and this is reflected in the depreciation. Like everything else, you will hear from Opel owners who have had nothing but good experience with them, and would not drive anything else.

But what you quoted was a Volvo V50!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Currently drive a 2015 diesel Insignia do about 7k a month never any issues with it over 200k on the clock, my only gripe is the washer bottle holds very little water...other than that feels solid on the road, plenty of power..

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

OK, I thought I had totally mis-read the last few posts too, but now realise why I was thinking he said he wouldn't go for another Volvo! :D

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    OK, I thought I had totally mis-read the last few posts too, but now realise why I was thinking he said he wouldn't go for another Volvo! :D

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lawred2 View Post
    OK, I thought I had totally mis-read the last few posts too, but now realise why I was thinking he said he wouldn't go for another Volvo!
    Mad_Mike is online now Report Post

Apologies to all, my mistake, managed to get the wires crossed. I clicked on the wrong ad to reply to. The one I wanted to comment on was the one above Lawred2's post, and that was the Insignia. But in the 1st sentence of my post, it does mention "Insignia, so that should have been a giveaway. I'm actually a big fan of Volvo. Would go for that Volvo in heart beat, if I needed a car. And like some other posters here, amazed that it's still available ( or maybe not by now though.....) Great cars... once upon a time, they were rated the safest car in the world, even Ralph Nader admired them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Low mileage, decent nct, over 7 months tax. Practical yoke.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-307-sw/23213813
    Tax worth around 300 on its own. New timing belt apparently, looks in good nick.

Currently drive a 2015 diesel Insignia do about 7k a month never any issues with it over 200k on the clock, my only gripe is the washer bottle holds very little water...other than that feels solid on the road, plenty of power..

Like I said GalwayGaillamh, just because my son was not happy with the Insignia's he had, does not mean that everyone shares that view. I hope that you break the 300'000 barrier with it. I remember back in the days when Opel was Opel and before all this chopping and changing,and they built fine cars. They were at least the equal of anything else on the road at that time in their own category,and better than most.

Ugh the Vectra was a pile of ****e....

GM went on the let's save money and built poorly....

Wonder will PSA change this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Advertisement

What's rare about it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement