Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

My own car guys.

2001 Toyota Corolla Coupe 1398 cc VVTI.
    124,000 miles.
    Owned by my family since 2008.
    NCT expires March 2020.
    Tax expires end of November 2019.
    Tow bar fitted by previous owner and only used by me to tow garden waste to dump, full electrics on tow bar.

€450

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Don't see anything wrong with the price if it's a straight car tbh. Wishing I went with one instead back when I got the S40.

Anything in particular wrong with the S40? Been looking at them and V50s myself in the 2.0D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

marko93 wrote: »
    Anything in particular wrong with the S40? Been looking at them and V50s myself in the 2.0D

1.8 is just a bit gutless and it's thirsty on the motorway. 2.0d should be much superior.

1.8 is just a bit gutless and it's thirsty on the motorway. 2.0d should be much superior.

Only had a short spin in it today, next time I’ll get it out for a good bit more to have a go.

Was yours a petrol? Besides it being gutless was there much issues?

Only had a short spin in it today, next time I’ll get it out for a good bit more to have a go.

Was yours a petrol? Besides it being gutless was there much issues?

No it's actually a great car tbh. Really good seats to sit in and not bad handling. The sound system is the best I've came across so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-suzuki-swift/23231434

Anyone any comments on first look. Going to see this today for a runaround

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

LorelaiG wrote: »

No comment on that particular car, but I know the Swift has a good reputation for being a good handling small car. However, I was in one once and I found the interior very hard and spartan. Maybe my expectations were too high of a little car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭pah

The sound system is the best I've came across so far.

I usually just listen to music on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

LorelaiG wrote: »

Known problems...

Speedo not working right,dials acting odd, milage not increasing, EPs light which is faulty power steering wiring usually, or bad grounds/battery..revs very low on idle once warm.. maf sensor..

Chain driven,easy work on,easy service,good on juice, you can.put a whole entertainment system in it for like 90 euro .. including fascia surround, Bluetooth ,apps etc etc,easy fit too.

Good cars tbh.

pah wrote: »
    I usually just listen to music on them.

Good on yea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭v240gltse

hi all

looking for some guidance here folks. Coming from a 520 E39 ( will be keeping it for summer driving ) I need to save a few bob so I looking at changing to either a 2006/7 Skoda Octavia or Toyota Avensis both manual 1.6 petrol.

I'am looking for economy as well as reliability ( aren't we all ha ha ) and was wondering if those with experience of either model could help me decide ?.

The Avensis looks a bit dull inside with all that grey plastic whereas the Octavia looks a little more modern and the Octavia's rear folding seats may help .

The MPG seems to be roughly the same for both models

thanks in advance

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

All Avensis from mid 2006 (the ones with the indicators on the mirrors) will have folding rear seats.

I’d probably get the Avensis, but the Octavia wouldn’t be far off it.

Neither of them are particularly economical though, especially if you’re doing motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

I've owned a couple of E39 520's and with some decent driving on motorways and main roads etc, I always managed to get 30-32 MPG taking them handy, although once you introduce town driving, that will drop to mid 20's.

I've also run a few 1.6 cars and if you are REALLY doing well, you might get late 30's as in 37 or 38mpg, but most of the time I found myself getting 34-36MPG.

While insurance might be cheaper, and road tax especially, the fuel costs certainly won't make a huge difference as Colm points out.

Are you doing high mileage, and what kind of roads etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Mad_Mike wrote: »

I've also run a few 1.6 cars and if you are REALLY doing well, you might get late 30's as in 37 or 38mpg, but most of the time I found myself getting 34-36MPG.

That's terrible. My stilo easily gets 6l/100km on longer runs (47ish mpg) Motorways brings it down a bit, but nothing near late 30's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭pah

That's terrible. My stilo easily gets 6l/100km on longer runs (47ish mpg) Motorways brings it down a bit, but nothing near late 30's

What engine? That seems abnormally high

At first when I saw your reply, I thought maybe it was due to the cars I am thinking of, being bigger, like an Avensis etc, but I remembered that I had pretty close size wise to a Stilo with a 1.6 Alfa 147, and even that only managed 36mpg at it's best.

If you get 47mpg from a 1.6 Stilo, that's incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

At first when I saw your reply, I thought maybe it was due to the cars I am thinking of, being bigger, like an Avensis etc, but I remembered that I had pretty close size wise to a Stilo with a 1.6 Alfa 147, and even that only managed 36mpg at it's best.

If you get 47mpg from a 1.6 Stilo, that's incredible!

1.6 stilo. I've had a 307cc since the summer and it gets not far off that when driven easily.

6l/100km is contingent on easy driving, no overtaking and keeping the speed below 100km/h. The stilo, like the 307 is low geared and any high speed fun kills mpg.

The 147 is a different engine altogether, no where near as efficient. I've only ever had a 2.0, but never depressed myself looking at the mpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

1.6 stilo. I've had a 307cc since the summer and it gets not far off that when driven easily.

6l/100km is contingent on easy driving, no overtaking and keeping the speed below 100km/h. The stilo, like the 307 is low geared and any high speed fun kills mpg.

The 147 is a different engine altogether, no where near as efficient. I've only ever had a 2.0, but never depressed myself looking at the mpg

My 1.6 petrol A3 would get 43-45 on a very good day, usually more around the 37-39 mark.

Lads I got myself a new motor, while unfortunately I don’t have a great bangernomics success story I do no have a car in the bangernomics territory that I need to move so was just looking for some opinions before I throw up an ad , it’s an
    2004 Toyota Corolla 1.4
    Taxed till end of the month
    NCT to early new year January/February
    156k miles on the clock
    It’s been serviced yearly at home.
    It’s major caveat is that it had a run in with a wall years ago on the bumper that I never patched up.

Is the car essentially worthless , would I be best of seeing what I can get by scrapping it?

Depends how bad the damage is, but a 04 Corolla with a bit of NCT should make around €600ish

You'll see them listing a bit higher, but in reality a mate of mine sold one about 4 months back, and listed it at 950 originally and had to keep dropping until he had it up for 700 and eventually got 650

The insurance companies have ruined the market, although it still barely scrapes inside the 15 year old bracket that some companies allow.

• Advertisement

Depends how bad the damage is, but a 04 Corolla with a bit of NCT should make around €600ish

Damage is purely cosmetic, the car itself drives fine and always has imo of course, but €600 is nothing to shy away from so I may as well throw it up and see what happens!
    Thanks

Definitely! Do not even think of the scrap route. They will give you next to nothing these days! :eek:

Definitely! Do not even think of the scrap route. They will give you next to nothing these days! :eek:

I thought the car would sell for that so that’s why I was thinking of going that route, probably should of checked first! Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Damage is purely cosmetic, the car itself drives fine and always has imo of course, but €600 is nothing to shy away from so I may as well throw it up and see what happens!
    Thanks

You will get multiples of what you would on scrappage, if you can sell if before the nct gets down to nothing. 400-500 should be no trouble.
    Would it get thru an nct? For the sake of 50 quid you could make it an easy sale. You can do it 3 months before it expires which sounds like its pretty soon, so if its not sold by then, get it nct'ed and if it gets thru you will see it no bother.

terrydel wrote: »
    You will get multiples of what you would on scrappage, if you can sell if before the nct gets down to nothing. 400-500 should be no trouble.
    Would it get thru an nct? For the sake of 50 quid you could make it an easy sale. You can do it 3 months before it expires which sounds like its pretty soon, so if its not sold by then, get it nct'ed and if it gets thru you will see it no bother.

That’s actually a sound idea, I’ll check now to see if I can throw it through !

Just checked there, earliest time is in November but it’ll be out of tax by then but still may be worth a go if it’s not gone by then

Thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/citroen-c1-2009/23000989?campaign=3

ZWRjYTdiNWNhMzFiYzg2NWFhM2I1YmMwNGE1NDE4ZTAdtMDd3FQCq9vdxwBr0U0VaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzI3MzYxNjN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

09 C1, NCT till August 2020, good bit of recent work done, €1700

Grand car for someone starting off or just looking for something up in years/cheap to run.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-skoda-superb-new-nct/23305756

YzQ4NGMxNTY3Y2ZhMWUyYzg5OTYyNGZjNDRiMmQ5ODRis1Ru2AKkH1QY-PR6ODWRaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzUwMzkwMDh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Mk2 Superb, 1.9 TDI, NCT till March 2020, €1650

High miles, and the seller's name "cash for cars galway" doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, but I would give it a look at least

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/09-alfa-romeo-mito/23301585

ZjY4N2IxYzY0MWUzM2VkNzBmZTM0MjgzMjMyYmNiZDJqDuOmG5_Qnp5FxewJK7Z7aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzUwMDU2MzN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

15 months NCT, nice looking leather, low miles, €1500

Is it too cheap? Front bumper looks a bit off to me, and 4 owners doesn't look good

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/09-alfa-romeo-mito/23301585

ZjY4N2IxYzY0MWUzM2VkNzBmZTM0MjgzMjMyYmNiZDJqDuOmG5_Qnp5FxewJK7Z7aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzUwMDU2MzN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

15 months NCT, nice looking leather, low miles, €1500

Is it too cheap? Front bumper looks a bit off to me, and 4 owners doesn't look good

Amazing price if its genuine, but I think you're right. Something seems off about the whole ad. Bumper doesn't look right. All pics are taken from as far away as possible, and it changed hands 2 months ago too.

• Advertisement

Actually, looking at other Mito's, the bumper seems odd on a few of them

It's actually like the Fiat Grande Punto in so far as some colours on those, the bumper etc seems to fade at a different rate to the body of the car, so maybe it's just a thing with them. For the price, it's definitely way under any others for sale, but maybe it's a genuine bargain! :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement