Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Is that a Padre Pio sticker I see in the bottom left hand corner of the windscreen too? Another hallmark of a good car :D

The clutch has to be fcuked!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Kamili wrote: »
    A lot of the older ones are starting to die. I know quite a few people that had them for towing and ended up with massive issues. Several needed engine replacements, which were not economical to repair. Crankshaft bolts tend to break.

I think there were several class action suits in the US over them throughout the years.

The crank pulley problem is more commonly seen in relation to the 3.5 v6 petrol ones.

But ya the 2.5crdi's can have their fair share of problems especially injector and injection pump problems and also timing chain problems. The transfer case is another known weak point.

Any of the above would leave one uneconomical to repair but that said at a grand for a well minded one I'd take the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

W123-80's wrote: »
    '01 E200
    NCT Dec '20
    Tax Jan '20
    96k miles

Cloth interior is not great, but such is life.
    I really want one of these before the all disintegrate.
    Nice looking car

Asking €1,380

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/01-merc-e200-kompressor-auto-new-nct-96k-miles/23286089

ZmRiMmZhMzNmMGUwNWU3NTg2N2MxYTE4YTFjYzk5ZGYEr04XJ1D1mh7Ne9pOkAtBaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzQ4Nzg0NDZ8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Looking at the drivers side pics, it almost looks like this one has already started to disintegrate has it?

Seems like both sills or maybe the doors have had work done and painted over

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Looks like a rotter to me. Bubbles on the bottom of both doors where the shut line meets the side skirt. Same with where the bumper top line meets the rear quarter.

Zm-Zh-Yj-Nh-MTZj-Zj-Bh-MGUx-Mj-Yx-NDk4-Yj-Nk-MTI1-MDkx-Zj-Sg-YEIypdw0gnsb05wn7-Sm-N.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-bmw-320d-se-taxd-amp-nctd/23374079

2005 e90 SE 320d
    Uk import but same owner since 2010
    Test till May, Tax till December
    Looks clean and nicely spec'd
    Supposedly 140k miles on the clock and a service history
    Bridgestone tyres all round
    Asking €850

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

That bmw is a bargain. One of the most bomb proof engines ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Zm-Zh-Yj-Nh-MTZj-Zj-Bh-MGUx-Mj-Yx-NDk4-Yj-Nk-MTI1-MDkx-Zj-Sg-YEIypdw0gnsb05wn7-Sm-N.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-bmw-320d-se-taxd-amp-nctd/23374079

2005 e90 SE 320d
    Uk import but same owner since 2010
    Test till May, Tax till December
    Looks clean and nicely spec'd
    Supposedly 140k miles on the clock and a service history
    Bridgestone tyres all round
    Asking €850
    Gone

Next time you see it it'll be on cut springs and will go "boo" as it kerb crawls at 20 mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭Hoboo

That bmw is a bargain. One of the most bomb proof engines ever made.

I have no idea, car clueless. What year BMW's are best, and what do you stay clear of? How do you know what engine it has? Cheers

Hoboo wrote: »
    I have no idea, car clueless. What year BMW's are best, and what do you stay clear of? How do you know what engine it has? Cheers

In an e90 320d for bangernomics purposes, anything up until 2007 is good, there's quite a few 2008's that have this M47 good engine before it was replaced by the N47. The N47 isn't junk but it could require a timing chain replacement and doesn't give you a whole pile of warning before it snaps. Pre-facelift diesel BMW 320's are M47 before they changed the headlights, bumpers, bonnet and grille in 2008. If you're clever you can get an early 2008 with cheap tax of 280 p/a as opposed to 710 p/a with a 2007.

If you manage to find a cheap 2008+ facelift model and go for the N47... wouldn't be my personal choice but.... when you start the engine, let it idle and sit in the drivers seat and listen for a noise that sounds, what I can only describe like a single, gently shaken maraca from behind the centre of the dash. The timing chain is sited at the back of the engine compartment, and is most audible from inside. Raise the revs, and the cadence of the noise will increase. If it does that, walk away. If you hear nothing still be wary that it'll probably need doing at some stage and that's quite a costly job.

I've owned a few, some with 20 thousand miles and others with 200 thousand miles. Suspension is a different matter... the "m-sport" spec rides quite hard and parts wear out quick! I seem to be continuously replacing worn out bits. I'm easily under the car every three months replacing something...and quite complex in terms of it will drive fine, no squeaks, rattles or bangs but your NCT tester will undoubtedly tell you there's something a miss. It happens every single time.

Basically for bangernomics. Early 2008 (cheap tax), pre facelift 320d.

On the left is facelift (LCI), right is pre facelift.

bmw1.jpg
    bmw2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

In an e90 320d for bangernomics purposes, anything up until 2007 is good, there's quite a few 2008's that have this M47 good engine before it was replaced by the N47. The N47 isn't junk but it could require a timing chain replacement and doesn't give you a whole pile of warning before it snaps. Pre-facelift diesel BMW 320's are M47 before they changed the headlights, bumpers, bonnet and grille in 2008. If you're clever you can get an early 2008 with cheap tax of 280 p/a as opposed to 710 p/a with a 2007.

If you manage to find a cheap 2008+ facelift model and go for the N47... wouldn't be my personal choice but.... when you start the engine, let it idle and sit in the drivers seat and listen for a noise that sounds, what I can only describe like a single, gently shaken maraca from behind the centre of the dash. The timing chain is sited at the back of the engine compartment, and is most audible from inside. Raise the revs, and the cadence of the noise will increase. If it does that, walk away. If you hear nothing still be wary that it'll probably need doing at some stage and that's quite a costly job.

I've owned a few, some with 20 thousand miles and others with 200 thousand miles. Suspension is a different matter... the "m-sport" spec rides quite hard and parts wear out quick! I seem to be continuously replacing worn out bits. I'm easily under the car every three months replacing something...and quite complex in terms of it will drive fine, no squeaks, rattles or bangs but your NCT tester will undoubtedly tell you there's something a miss. It happens every single time.

Basically for bangernomics. Early 2008 (cheap tax), pre facelift 320d.

On the left is facelift (LCI), right is pre facelift.

bmw1.jpg
    bmw2.jpg

Thats as good a piece of advice for anyone looking at buying a BMW as I have ever heard !!! And with Pics too. Good post, Thanks.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Also something to add is the use of run flats in the LCI (not sure about non face lift, haven't owned one). Coupled with msport suspension on Irish roads can lead to a harsh drive. Staggered wheel fitment (Run flat tires starting at 180 for the front 240 at the back) . Also the crank pulley is a common fault too and can fail. If buying and it hasn't been replaced id factor a replacement into cost for peace of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Jaysus thanks Hunky Monster, appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

In an e90 320d for bangernomics purposes, anything up until 2007 is good, there's quite a few 2008's that have....

Ok so I shopping for a BMW 320 and I have no idea why......fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-carina-2/23379510

N2YyMDdmYTk2OTc1MWY5YzJlYjk0MjhhMDAzZTliOTZFNyC2q1rv0fYnAGXvxPFyaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzU1ODY2MTl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Carina II, NCT May 2020, only ran in at 230k miles, €1k

I would!

flexcon wrote: »
    Ok so I shopping for a BMW 320 and I have no idea why......fair play.

Not so fast, I would read the rest of the post, in depth.
    In my opinion, they don't make for good bangernomics cars at all. Well, maybe for the DIY guy who can do most things in his shed, but, for a cheap runaround, tax, NCT that you would drive yourself, less than 2k, a BMW 320d with an N47 engine is definitely not for you.
    Yes, great car, to drive, but with the notorious engineering fault with that engine that brings the car beyond economic repair on a regular basis.
    you would (as HM said) want to know what you are doing going in for one of these - eyes wide open.

repeat: yes - great cars to drive. That's not my point however.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Not saying I wouldn't but that yoke is fairly rough by the look of it. The NSR quarter panel is a wreck, rust on the arches and the front A pillars and front leading edge of the roof are painted matte black as a rust cover up I'd say. Looking at the sellers other ads, he's pulled it out of a ditch, dusted it off and added a zero to the price he paid.

How much would a clean one go for these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

cadaliac wrote: »
    Not so fast, I would read the rest of the post, in depth.
    In my opinion, they don't make for good bangernomics cars at all. Well, maybe for the DIY guy who can do most things in his shed, but, for a cheap runaround, tax, NCT that you would drive yourself, less than 2k, a BMW 320d with an N47 engine is definitely not for you.
    Yes, great car, to drive, but with the notorious engineering fault with that engine that brings the car beyond economic repair on a regular basis.
    you would (as HM said) want to know what you are doing going in for one of these - eyes wide open.

repeat: yes - great cars to drive. That's not my point however.

Was the post not suggesting the M47 engine should be good to go? So like a 2008 M47 - cheap tax and good engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Was the post not suggesting the M47 engine should be good to go? So like a 2008 M47 - cheap tax and good engine?

It was yeah, thats my reading of it.

On re-reading it, he does say that you'll be under it every three months for suspension related issues, regardless of the engine.
    Great post I have to say, thats the kind of post that shows the value of message boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

terrydel wrote: »
    It was yeah, thats my reading of it.

On re-reading it, he does say that you'll be under it every three months for suspension related issues, regardless of the engine.
    Great post I have to say, thats the kind of post that shows the value of message boards.

I think like all cars it depends on the previous owners. There are larger risks associated with the BMW but doesnt mean youre under the car every few months. I had an n47 320d coupe for just shy of two years, took it from 70k miles to 100k miles and all I ever had to do was service it. It didnt even leak/burn oil which massively surprised me for a diesel!

Hadnt had the timing chain replaced and prior to selling had brought it to BMW to check the timing chain health which was found to be healthy. The car came with a folder of service history and was clearly well taken care of.

• Advertisement

It was indeed - just re-iterating already great post.
    I suppose my point was to highlight the poor quality of the N47 engine. A car that is in Bangernomics territory and all of a sudden you have a car that needs this work done and is not economical to fix.

marcos_94 wrote: »
    I think like all cars it depends on the previous owners. There are larger risks associated with the BMW but doesnt mean youre under the car every few months. I had an n47 320d coupe for just shy of two years, took it from 70k miles to 100k miles and all I ever had to do was service it. It didnt even leak/burn oil which massively surprised me for a diesel!

Hadnt had the timing chain replaced and prior to selling had brought it to BMW to check the timing chain health which was found to be healthy. The car came with a folder of service history and was clearly well taken care of.

I think this is the issue - if the car has all the correct oil changes (on time) this prevents the wear on the chain. Well, it certainly helps.
    Local mechanic recommends doing oil changes sooner than the recommended BMW intervals for this very reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

marcos_94 wrote: »

Ah yeah, the biggest determinant on the reliability and longevity of any second hand car is how well previous owners have looked after it.

Not saying I wouldn't but that yoke is fairly rough by the look of it. The NSR quarter panel is a wreck, rust on the arches and the front A pillars and front leading edge of the roof are painted matte black as a rust cover up I'd say. Looking at the sellers other ads, he's pulled it out of a ditch, dusted it off and added a zero to the price he paid.

How much would a clean one go for these days?

It does look a bit of a rough dog alright. Rose tinted glasses and all that..:o

I've just been to pick this up this afternoon, 32k miles, taxed and tested till March but a bit rough around the edges.

Worth 800 to anyone here?

48996526746_bdae6e95c3_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think the arse has fallen out of them. Looks like a nice one though, colour coded bumpers, original hub caps, nice bit of character on the front bumper :)

Its only the bumpers that let it down really, very straight otherwise. Drives as you'd expect and it is like new inside. 3 owners on the book too unfortunately, I picked it up from a monastery and they have it from new. Possible Civic replacement I'm thinking for maximum cheap tax/insurance/fuel spend etc, but I don't know. I know of an 05 with 25k miles that I can have too, I'd be more tempted to take that one on for myself.

Seems like only yesterday this would be 2k all day long :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Its only the bumpers that let it down really, very straight otherwise. Drives as you'd expect and it is like new inside. 3 owners on the book too unfortunately, I picked it up from a monastery and they have it from new. Possible Civic replacement I'm thinking for maximum cheap tax/insurance/fuel spend etc, but I don't know. I know of an 05 with 25k miles that I can have too, I'd be more tempted to take that one on for myself.

Seems like only yesterday this would be 2k all day long :(

Sold a 2002 exactly the same with 96k for €2150 3 years ago

Mad how cheap they all are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Sold a 2002 exactly the same with 96k for €2150 3 years ago

Mad how cheap they all are now.

Would it be due to the difficulty getting them insured?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Would it be due to the difficulty getting them insured?

Yes it hasn't helped....

• Advertisement

The mk1 yaris in particular is a great example of the insurance issues decimating 15+ year old used car prices.

Their depreciation run went from hovering around the €1500 mark for a couple of years to €500 in the space of a few months around the end of 2017 early 2018

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement