Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,364 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

jharr100 wrote: »

F**k it away today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

FAMLEE wrote: »
    Even the most common models of the "Diamond of Doom" are hard enough to keep on the road never mind a rare dog like this yoke, just imagine the electronic problems which will inevitably write this car off.. steer clear guys

Sorry but you haven’t a clue.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Even the most common models of the "Diamond of Doom" are hard enough to keep on the road never mind a rare dog like this yoke, just imagine the electronic problems which will inevitably write this car off.. steer clear guys
    I'm not denying that the motors are good, the 1.5Dci is a great solid little engine no doubt! it's the electrics that riddle the cars/vans with problems elsewhere. That's only in my opinion though!

By all means let yourself and your fellow experts keep that mindset. This that mindset that keeps the second hand prices low. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭User1998

Not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone in this threat but we had a Renault Megane 2011 in the family recently and all the electrics in the climate control system failed.. Was about €800 to fix so we just sold it on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

I'm no fan as such but they have really improved.

Like any modern cars these days some will have issues.

1st gen was good 2nd gen rubbish, 3rd gen on great cars.

Obviously the 1.5dci isn't going to set your world on fire but they are a good engine.

If you said they were bad, I'd be fully on your side but they had no choice but to become reliable or else they'd be left behind as other makes etc were much more reliable.

What year did the 3rd gen start?

• Advertisement

Laguna III started in 2007, Megane III in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Educate us please

Don't bother. This bar stool can talk for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

But by Christ they're beauts

jharr100 wrote: »

And one day the bonnet will reach the front of the car... One day....

I was only thinking recently, it won’t be long til we start seeing those in here

But it's a diamond of doom though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭westeire

I wouldn't call the Renault Laguna coupe the ''diamond of doom''! Have one just over 2 years with 247,000 miles on it and no major electrical or mechanical issues with it. The only thing id say is body panels are hard to get second hand as I found out when someone revered into my door! and certain other parts are not the same as the saloon version and no after market alternatives so genuine Renault part, had window reg go and was €350!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilfuler.

westeire wrote: »
    I wouldn't call the Renault Laguna coupe the ''diamond of doom''! Have one just over 2 years with 247,000 miles on it and no major electrical or mechanical issues with it. The only thing id say is body panels are hard to get second hand as I found out when someone revered into my door! and certain other parts are not the same as the saloon version and no after market alternatives so genuine Renault part, had window reg go and was €350!
    Always get a spare window regulator when you're buying a Renault

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭westeire

Well after the millage its done and been the original id say that was good going!

What is it with the amount of cars with a months nct

You just know they've failed on something big

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Wilfuler. wrote: »

Or the owners just know there’s something about to fall off so they don’t bother and get rid instead while it’s still “legal”. A car with no NCT is essentially worth nothing.

I’ve often bought cars with a few weeks left on the NCT and done one or two small jobs and it sails a test. It’s nice to drive the car for those few weeks to see what’s up with it. I’d never buy something that’s not roadworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Can you see if a car has just failed an nct?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

lawred2 wrote: »
    Can you see if a car has just failed an nct?

If you go online and pretend to book a test, it’ll tell you (once it’s inside the retest period)

One of the problems with the motor trade in general

It's accepted that you're liable to be conned and acceptable to con a buyer

Car should be advertised with fail sheet

05 Corolla for under €700, NCT 2/20 and tax 4/20:

Njc5OTczYzIwYzJkNGFiNzhlZTc2NWZkN2NhNzA3OGZwOsf_rCK1mwlUad2UpFaxaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzc2NzE0MTl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/corolla-2005-1-4-vvti-nct-3-20-tax-4-20/23660124

Short NCT alright but these are durable cars so I'd be shocked if it needed big money spent to pass it. Stick it through the NCT to see how it fairs, worst case drive it until the tax runs out and resell it again for half what you paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,979 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It is what it is, a low mileage, low tax, 13 year old Merc with a new NCT and a few dents.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/b-class-only-90k-nct-i-2021-tax-march-lovely/23794572

I only really threw it up so I could ask a question about the catchy named "Diamond of doom", a mechanic that I trust once advised me not to buy a 1.5d Nissan Qashqai because it had a Renault engine which would end up giving a lot of trouble because of tiny metal splinters that would clog up some sensitive filter or such like. He knows me well enough and knows I trust him and want relatively hassle free motoring.

I know there are honest, experienced guys posting regularly on here and am just wondering if any of you would be familiar with this issue.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

It is what it is, a low mileage, low tax, 13 year old Merc with a new NCT and a few dents.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/b-class-only-90k-nct-i-2021-tax-march-lovely/23794572

I only really threw it up so I could ask a question about the catchy named "Diamond of doom", a mechanic that I trust once advised me not to buy a 1.5d Nissan Qashqai because it had a Renault engine which would end up giving a lot of trouble because of tiny metal splinters that would clog up some sensitive filter or such like. He knows me well enough and knows I trust him and want relatively hassle free motoring.

I know there are honest, experienced guys posting regularly on here and am just wondering if any of you would be familiar with this issue.

Had that car for three years. Never missed a beat.

Had that car for three years. Never missed a beat.

That exact 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-fiat-qubo-nct-amptax/23812039

YTViNzUzZGI4YjcyMmY2NzczMmJiNmJhNDQ0NDgxMjRTsghXKMMKcEzpeJjbN_13aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzg4NDAyNjB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Bit of a dumpy looking yoke, but tested til November 2020, 1.2 diesel and only €200 tax - €1999

I'd drive it

That exact 1?

Yes that exact one.

Yes that exact one.

They're a fine motor in fairness, nice and relatively high to sit in too.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-fiat-qubo-nct-amptax/23812039

YTViNzUzZGI4YjcyMmY2NzczMmJiNmJhNDQ0NDgxMjRTsghXKMMKcEzpeJjbN_13aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzg4NDAyNjB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Bit of a dumpy looking yoke, but tested til November 2020, 1.2 diesel and only €200 tax - €1999

I'd drive it

Looks like it has an undershot jaw but yeah I'd drive it too at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭B00056718

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-one-owner-low-miles/23778298

Spotless 2002 Accord. Too bad I'm not in a marked for bangernomics.
    I'd take that in a heartbeat. Interior is like brand new. Apart from being very hard to insure, anything else that could be wrong? Looks very well minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s all the money for it. They’re normally worth around €250, it will have been taken in for small money too.
    Sure, it’s nice - but....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

B00056718 wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-one-owner-low-miles/23778298

Spotless 2002 Accord. Too bad I'm not in a marked for bangernomics.
    I'd take that in a heartbeat. Interior is like brand new. Apart from being very hard to insure, anything else that could be wrong? Looks very well minded.

Had one, they were shockingly low, couldn't get on or out now, not a hope...

• Advertisement

Is there anything to watch out for in a petrol accord

Thinking of getting one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement