Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

do u no the rate a mechanic would charge for checking a car

I don't know. I was just joking in the above post.

I suppose it depends on mechanic and how far he has to travel to the vehicle and what ever his hourly rate is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057784276

this thread is worth a read for anyone thinking of buying a 1.6hdi c5

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Not all like that but you definitely need to be careful.

Same could happen with ford or Volvo or pug with them engine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

No I no no ffs...

Car in question had 300kkm Afair... The rest was just butchery of the mechanics...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Is that the one where the owner couldn’t let go and kept firing money into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

For sure.

I myself feel it's easier sort VAG cars when they have these big failures though.

A 2.0 hdi c5 would be a better option than a 1.6 imo

hurikane wrote: »
    Is that the one where the owner couldn’t let go and kept firing money into it?

Yes, they fell in love, suppose it was as close to having a wife in reality ;-)

For sure.

I myself feel it's easier sort VAG cars when they have these big failures though.

A 2.0 hdi c5 would be a better option than a 1.6 imo

Yes I'd much prefer the 2.0 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

For my last car I checked out mechanics near where the car was and brought it to one. Charged me half an hours labour which cost about 40 quid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

marcos_94 wrote: »
    For my last car I checked out mechanics near where the car was and brought it to one. Charged me half an hours labour which cost about 40 quid

And was his assessment on the ball? Did he run a scan?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

jmreire wrote: »

Did a full health check on the car. Had a normal scanner but have a BMW scanner myself so i did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

It would be common enough now for a lot of dealers (and probably private sellers) not to allow folks to plug code readers into cars. You get all sorts of head the balls coming along with their 20 quid Chinese code readers thinking they're Ed China.

I wouldn't let someone near a car with a cheap one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

It would be common enough now for a lot of dealers (and probably private sellers) not to allow folks to plug code readers into cars. You get all sorts of head the balls coming along with their 20 quid Chinese code readers thinking they're Ed China.

I wouldn't let someone near a car with a cheap one.

What's the difference between a cheap one and an expensive one in the right hands?

I'd be very wary of letting any one who I did not know do a scan on any car I was selling.......the problem is that difference between a cheap chinese ( or other ) scanner and an €800 + scanner, is what it's capable of doing...cheap one will only read the OBD, but the expensive one will allow changes to be made....and that's the problem.

I'd be very wary of letting any one who I did not know do a scan on any car I was selling.......the problem is that difference between a cheap chinese ( or other ) scanner and an €800 + scanner, is what it's capable of doing...cheap one will only read the OBD, but the expensive one will allow changes to be made....and that's the problem.

I think you're paranoid.

What are they going to do, I'd like to see if there are any codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

would you really want somebody you dont know making changes through the OBD port?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

This is where a mechanic will turn you away. Its not worth their time to leave their business and inspect a car worth less than 2k, give an opinion, then a wear and tear part fails.
    Then you walk into their yard complaining that they didn't do a proper assessment.
    its not worth their time/effort and generally could do without the headache.
    Everyone would like to get out a diagnostic tool, read the codes, get a 100 point check done and all for half nothing.
    However, it all depends what end of the market you are in. Bangernomics - well, should be done cheaply. the further up the market you go, the more likely you will get a garage guarantee etc. Then you can start forking out for proper examinations.
    People need to be a bit more realistic when dealing with Bangernomics.

Sure, go ahead. it's your car. If all is going to be done, run a scan and log / clear any codes found, that's fine. And there are OBD scanners out there which will do exactly that, and no more...these are the safest one's, Then you have the ones that can make changes,,,and unless you know exactly what you are doing, you can do damage...lots of damage to the settings. I use an iCarsoft v11 on my car...its perfect for me because it's specific to my car, and it can scan deeply, but it does not allow you to make fundamental changes, beyond clearing stored faults.

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    I think you're paranoid.

Really??? Are you an expert on Paranoia???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think you're paranoid.

sometimes paranoia is very reaasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

colm_mcm wrote: »

450 a few days ago - down to 395 now and has a fresh NCT and taxed until June.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Furzy wrote: »
    450 a few days ago - down to 395 now and has a fresh NCT and taxed until June.

Free car !!

sometimes paranoia is very reaasonable.

I'd be lost without it, TBH..it's what makes me what I am, I guess !!!:cool: but what is so remarkable is how grogi was able to make that diagnosis based on his interpretation of my comments on the thread.....:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

I think you're paranoid.

No I'm not !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

almostover wrote: »

That's a lot of car for peanuts, 636 tax p/a seems somewhat attractive too! 160Bhp and auto with low miles, shur what more could you want from bangernomics. The legroom in the back makes my 3 series look like a toy.

Great find.

• Advertisement

No I'm not !

But are you sure ?????:):):)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement