Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/24132142 FORD FOCUS TAXED /TESTED

Thoughts on this?

Proof of both belts done is a must

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Thoughts on this?

Not for me, it's a diesel kind of risky with that price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭angrybeaver

Proof of both belts done is a must

I hear they are fairly reliable as long as both belts are done? DMF is a concern I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Thoughts on this?

Crap photos, trader seller who knows nothing about it, a months test left, 180km is obviously 180 miles...and "belts done" doesn't exactly inspire a lot of hope! Belts done when exactly!? 5 years and 100k miles ago I'd guess

Theres better out there for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭angrybeaver

Crap photos, trader seller who knows nothing about it, a months test left, 180km is obviously 180 miles...and "belts done" doesn't exactly inspire a lot of hope! Belts done when exactly!? 5 years and 100k miles ago I'd guess

Theres better out there for the money

I had to call to check out the 180km... of course it’s miles 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s60-2005/24120284

YmY4Y2I0ODA3YzRjNzUxNGE2ZTI1NzdhZWJhOTUzOWREt6yO-b1_bv-_b8OMlQjDaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDExOTc0NTV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1 owner petrol S60 with half a million km on the clock, ten months test, €500

Interior looks like its done 100k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Jeez at 34 mpg ( optimistic for auto?) and 340,000 miles that's about €66k of petrol in today's money !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s60-2005/24120284

YmY4Y2I0ODA3YzRjNzUxNGE2ZTI1NzdhZWJhOTUzOWREt6yO-b1_bv-_b8OMlQjDaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDExOTc0NTV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1 owner petrol S60 with half a million km on the clock, ten months test, €500

Interior looks like its done 100k
    They’re hard km if done on Kerry roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

2011abc wrote: »
    Jeez at 34 mpg ( optimistic for auto?) and 340,000 miles that's about €66k of petrol in today's money !!!

Ah now it’s only about 30k worth of petrol and 33k of tax/vat/5c and 8c here and there/carbon tax/nora plus the hidden ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

When Billy Naughton says its "traders only," it means its fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I had to call to check out the 180km... of course it’s miles ��
    Why do so many gob****es act the innocent with this type of ploy. Presumably he even knew about it even before you spoke to him and yet the ad has not being updated yet to reflect correct mileage/ kilometres. The block capitals throughout the ad sort of says it all too.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Drew P. Wiener

Long time lurker and admirer of the bangernomics threads.
    Need to acquire an affordable, reliable motor for myself, and figured you lads would be able to dish out some good advice.
    Week to week budget is tight, as I'll be using it go to University 5 days a week, so I need to avoid anything too thirsty.
    Be doing about 50km a day in it.
    Thanks in advance

Need to acquire an affordable, reliable motor for myself, and figured you lads would be able to dish out some good advice.
    Week to week budget is tight, as I'll be using it go to University 5 days a week, so I need to avoid anything too thirsty.
    Thanks in advance

Renault Megane or Laguna from 2009 onwards....

He mentioned “reliable”

As you’re in college I’m going to assume (probably incorrectly) that you’re young.
    You may have trouble insuring a 10yr+ car unless you have a good NCB built up with an insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Andrew33 wrote: »
    He mentioned “reliable”

1.5dci is unreliable now?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

He mentioned “reliable”

And he was recommended one.

He mentioned “reliable”

Wtf you on about.....

1.5dci is unreliable now?

All I’ll say is there’s more to a car than just the engine and early Dci engines did have issues. I know they’ve been reliable for a long time but I’d be well wary of one without a good service history.

• Advertisement

All I’ll say is there’s more to a car than just the engine and early Dci engines did have issues. I know they’ve been reliable for a long time but I’d be well wary of one without a good service history.

That wasn't so hard was it?

That wasn't so hard was it?
    When I said initially he mentioned “reliable” I was being a bit tongue in cheek. Maybe I should have added the appropriate smiley before it escalated.
    Personally, I’d always go Jap built for banger money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Thanks in advance

At 50KM per day that's well under 12,000 miles per annum, and that is to assume that you are doing the 50KM for 7 days a week. I'd suggest that the difference in the cost of ownership and running costs of a low capacity petrol engine car and a diesel is negligible. In general from an ease of ownership point of view I'd be inclined to steer you in the direction of a low capacity petrol engine car. Choice will be limited (which I am guessing it may have to be a maximum of 10 years old as another poster also suggested). Here are a couple of cars.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/chevrolet-aveo-1-2-2011-ncttax-56000-miles/24056922
    Chevrolet Aveo 1.2
    NCT 01/21;
    56K miles;
    Motor tax €280 pa.
    Asking €2,050.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-panda/24120448
    Fiat Panda 1.1
    NCT 11/20;
    Low kilometres were told but not marked inrolleyes.png
    Motor tax €200 pa.
    Asking €1,950.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Renaults are junkers get over it lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

there’s more to a car than just the engine

Like what letter reg it is?

TheW1zard wrote: »

You're a junker, no room in this thread for nonsense like that - Getting in here before you come out with: Fix It Again Tomorrow or Found On Road Dead, or one of those other mensa member barstool phrases.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

TheW1zard wrote: »

Because?

Like what letter reg it is?
    Personal choice. I have the luxury of choosing what I drive.
    Although maybe there is a correlation between county letter and overall condition of vehicle and therefore reliability.
    You may have opened an interesting line of debate there.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

bear1 wrote: »
    Because?

On Done deal theres 3000 renaults for sale, 26 of which have 300k kms on them.
    There's 1500 hondas, 49 have that mileage.

I was actually surprised at the number of renaults! They must be improving. Every time I'm behind a car with wonky electrics where the Indicator and tail lights wink at the same time....it's a Renault.

• Advertisement

crazyjim wrote: »
    On Done deal theres 3000 renaults for sale, 26 of which have 300k kms on them.
    There's 1500 hondas, 49 have that mileage.

I was actually surprised at the number of renaults! They must be improving. Every time I'm behind a car with wonky electrics where the Indicator and tail lights wink at the same time....it's a Renault.
    Funny, I’ve noticed that trait in quite a few mk1 Qashqais!
    I always assumed it was down to a bad repair after a bump.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement