Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

"crazyjim wrote: »
    Every time I'm behind a car with wonky electrics where the Indicator and tail lights wink at the same time....it's a Renault.

A poor earth at the light cluster isnt really something you can blame in any particular manufacturer. It's a simple fix on most cars, that it isnt done is more a reflection on poor owner diligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Funny, I’ve noticed that trait in quite a few mk1 Qashqais!
    I always assumed it was down to a bad repair after a bump.

That'll be Renault poisoning Nissan since their tie up together !

I do accept honestjohn in the Daily Telegraph's advice that sometimes you're better off buying a "good bad car" rather than a "bad good car". So you can pick up a good Renault, if it's been minded like a baby. Particularly this is noticeable in Bangernomics price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

crazyjim wrote: »
    That'll be Renault poisoning Nissan since their tie up together !

I do accept honestjohn in the Daily Telegraph's advice that sometimes you're better off buying a "good bad car" rather than a "bad good car". So you can pick up a good Renault, if it's been minded like a baby. Particularly this is noticeable in Bangernomics price range.

Minded like a baby.....

I've abused mine like fook..... Crashed it or well was crashed into... Service it myself put up 40k km in a year and not a bother to it. 1.5 dCi....

Not the most powerful or spacious but it does the job for now.

Has sat nav, cruise control, a/c etc.

Renault were dirt but 3 rd gen improved big time since they made a balls of gen 2.

The diesel is widely used and very reliable.

Window regs are a let down but they aren't expensive or the hardest to replace.

No dpf in most untill fairly recent too so less to worry about on maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Funny, I’ve noticed that trait in quite a few mk1 Qashqais!
    I always assumed it was down to a bad repair after a bump.

Nope, it's a known connector issue, they fix it by removing connector and soldering the wires directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Drew P. Wiener

As you’re in college I’m going to assume (probably incorrectly) that you’re young.
    You may have trouble insuring a 10yr+ car unless you have a good NCB built up with an insurer.

I'm 27, but am only realtively newly qualified, have been a named driver on a family member's yaris for the last year only, no claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Drew P. Wiener

Also, didn't mean to start an argument with my question. It's like every family Christmas dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Renaults are junkers get over it lads

Lol. I think you need a bigger bar stool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

bazz26 wrote: »
    Lol. I think you need a bigger bar stool.

Them French are lazy b*******, dont shoot the messenger:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Long time lurker and admirer of the bangernomics threads.
    Need to acquire an affordable, reliable motor for myself, and figured you lads would be able to dish out some good advice.
    Week to week budget is tight, as I'll be using it go to University 5 days a week, so I need to avoid anything too thirsty.
    Be doing about 50km a day in it.
    Thanks in advance

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-2/24023150

This is a decent looking motor for the money. Loads of tax and NCT too. Mazda patrols are generally very reliable. Should easily do 40mpg +. If they have a receipt for the new clutch also as proof, this car is a bit of a bargain really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

At 50KM per day that's well under 12,000 miles per annum, and that is to assume that you are doing the 50KM for 7 days a week..

A lovely seamless skip and jump between metric, imperial and back again.

Only an Irishman could do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I regularly use feet/metres inches and mm when measuring. Sometimes all on the one measurement.
    Whatever works!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

cadaliac wrote: »

Probably a typo. If it was a Renault then would have been about right:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

English reg.
    ffs.

That's done to get into the lower scale market to get lookers....

English plates on it.

How can it be greenlight verified and no tick beside import.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

I'm assuming it's supposed to be €11,500
    Quite a few sellers do this by "accident"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

How can it be greenlight verified and no tick beside import.

It gets a tick if its *not" imported.

It gets a tick if its *not" imported.

Ok wasn't sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Any thoughts on this Suzuki Liana?
    NCT to October, taxed until July, only thing is 6 previous owners. How are they for repairs/running?

• Advertisement

ectoraige wrote: »
    NCT to October, taxed until July, only thing is 6 previous owners. How are they for repairs/running?
    I know what Liana stands for!
    Life In A New Age.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

They are actually very good from a reliability point of view. They have probably even less soul than a Corolla, mega bland but maybe that doesn't bother you. I'd drive one for the "star in a reasonably priced car" novelty.

That one has a saucey gash in the drivers side rear door.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd rather something like this than that Liana:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-toyota-avensis/24101139

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

They are actually very good from a reliability point of view. They have probably even less soul than a Corolla, mega bland but maybe that doesn't bother you. I'd drive one for the "star in a reasonably priced car" novelty.

That one has a saucey gash in the drivers side rear door.

Ha, I had two many tabs open, mixed the photos with this 06 model, which actually had a buy-one-get-one-free: an 05 Liana with a blown radiator to take away for spares!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Suzuki are a case of 2 wheels good 4 wheels bad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Ha, I had two many tabs open, mixed the photos with this 06 model, which actually had a buy-one-get-one-free: an 05 Liana with a blown radiator to take away for spares!
    That 06 looks very damp inside.. There's nothing as bad as a damp car:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Ah sure there you go, proud of my heritage! The only reason I made the hops and the skips is that the original poster mentioned 50km per day while I myself am old school and tend to speak of larger distances at least in miles.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    That 06 looks very damp inside.. There's nothing as bad as a damp car:mad:

Moist is much worserer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭rn

There was a cohort of 2010 megane estates bought by lads where I work at least 8+. Large company, over 500 spaces. All 1.5 dci engines on cheap tax.

About 4 of them are still there in 2020, I know the owners. All still happy. Some have done large mileage, others tiny.

I compare that to volvo v50 1.6 diesels. About 10 were bought new or nearly new in 06-08, I know at least 5 of owners. All gave enough serious trouble to be ditched before they were 5 years old.

So I'd be favouring Renault over Volvo.

• Advertisement

rn wrote: »
    There was a cohort of 2010 megane estates bought by lads where I work at least 8+. Large company, over 500 spaces. All 1.5 dci engines on cheap tax.

About 4 of them are still there in 2020, I know the owners. All still happy. Some have done large mileage, others tiny.

I compare that to volvo v50 1.6 diesels. About 10 were bought new or nearly new in 06-08, I know at least 5 of owners. All gave enough serious trouble to be ditched before they were 5 years old.

So I'd be favouring Renault over Volvo.
    Volvo went through some very turbulent times back then, they were almost bankrupt and were bought by Ford and then by Geely (Chinese company) who I think still own them.
    Volvo’s are certainly not what they used to be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement