Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timekeeping, work efficiency

Options
  • 15-07-2019 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Small issue. Making this query on behalf of someone else.

Works in retail, full-time hours, min wage. Clock-in and out for the rostered hours, and the same for the half break, not done for the 15 min break. So on a typical day he's paid for 7.5 hours, with shifts ranging from 7-3am, 3-11pm and 11-7am.

He comes in 20-30 mins early (quick clean and a change of clothes after cycling, check the balance of the till being used, make coffee, and check emails on phone if there's time). Usually he is at the tills 10 mins before he is due to start to relieve the other staff member with decent time for them to balance their float/till and clock out on time.

Most staff only come in the door and clock-in on the hour or could be a few mins late, so it could be another 5-10 mins until they're signed in at the tills themselves. So the staff finishing up are still inside the place from 10-20 mins after balancing the till before leaving (then it could be longer for him as he has to change before leaving).

2 people are at the tills for each shift, so you always have one person who'll sign out and clock out sooner than the other staff member as well, depending on what time the staff starting their shift are down ready to sign in. Usually it's a case of asking them who wants to sign out first, and some people sign out without asking the other person, and more sincere staff might just say they can go first before themselves.

The staff are required to check the floats before the shift incase the right amount isn't in it. The manager never checks it after the staff have returned the float. Aren't managers supposed to check the till incase it needs more loose change or notes, and to confirm that it was balanced correctly? If this was done this could at least cut out the need for staff to check the balance before their shift.

I dunno how you could make the staff better with their timekeeping, alter the hours on the roster? I think the manager could do better with this, though the staff have been told that they they clock in when ready to start work, not when they come in the door. And they can clock in 10 mins beforehand, yet only this guy actually does this. Having worked in retail myself the manager I had would bring in the new float and cover you until the other staff arrived, so you could balance the till and finish your shift on time. And never had to check it beforehand, there's was no clock in or out, it was a very efficient system compared to the one described above. Thoughts? TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

This reads very like a father trying to apply the logic of his high level workplace to his son's minimum wage job.

Am I correct in that that is the relationship here?

I have experienced similar before and tried to make suggestions, and let me tell you, these places do not run a two-way street. They do not appreciate the minions telling them how to do their jobs.

They also can't insist that staff are on the till 10min before their start time without paying them for this time and head office won't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

Thanks for the reply, nope was just told this from a friend. Just interested in opinions, that's all. I did acknowledge that it wasn't the biggest issue compared to what gets asked here, provided all the info in detail to give a clear picture. Course you wouldn't expect a strict regime, and nothing wrong with a few mins, 20 mins on a regular basis though? What is seriously wrong with "minions" offering suggestions if it helps improve things? Sounds like you just had bad managers who don't listen to their staff, I've made suggestions to my own before and they actually did what I told them.
    Staff were told that when they clock in that they start working, not coming in and doing other things before starting work. The manager also told staff that they can clock in 10mins before work, so no excuse there re pay (should've mentioned that in the op).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

So whats the problem?

Sounds like everything is running smoothly at work and you are trying to come up with ways to improve efficiency for some unknown reason.

If the problem is that this person is working extra unpaid hours, then thats their problem. Tell them not to arrive to work so early.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

You're either his father or casing the joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

From my past experience in grocery retail we were expected in 15min early to set up our till, check our float, be ready for manager to roar or harass someone then start. Breaks were always late because of people taking their time, lack of adequate cover meant working past shift finish, because God love you if busy period and you close your till to go home. Then after the finish time you then have 15-20mins of balancing your till, waiting for your till to z, sorting your drops then head home. All that extra time and work unpaid and guess what complain and your gone. Always someone waiting to take the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If you start work at 9.00am, you clock in at 9.00am.

Then go initiate the tasks you need to do in order for you to start on the tills...

Get float

Check float

Procure till rolls

Go to till, set up till, login,... FIRST CUSTOMER.

It would probably be 9.12 am or so before you could serve your first customer, but there are those supplementary tasks you need to complete to do your job.

Do NOT at 8.48 initiate any of those steps in order to be ready to serve customers at 9.00. If the company wanted that they should have designated your start time as 8.45.

Advertisement