Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Phonewatch??

Options
  • 15-07-2019 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭

Just received noticed that my current 12 month contract with PW is scheduled to be renewed on Aug 11th and thinking of moving to a self monitoring system and just asking what is the best to go with?

Current PW system is wireless and around 20yrs old. It consists of 2 PIRs, two contact alarms and a number of shock alarms on windows.

It has not given me any troubles and I have no real problems with PW. It's just that I am paying over €40/month for monitoring, which pretty consists of a phone call when the alarm is triggered.

So was thinking of saving the €40/month and moving to a more modern system with an app and have alerts sent via SMS/Email. The house is a standard 3 bed semi. Any tie in to home automation would be a plus.

Is HKC the go to make for the Irish domestic market and do I need PW to remove their alarm system or is this something I can do myself or get a sparks to do for me? Are there any other gotchas that I need to be aware of when cancelling my PW contract?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

FYI you’ll find monitoring centres must cheaper than the quote above.

Regarding removing the alarm, it’ll depend on your existing contract with PW. Be careful with cancellation fees and notice periods, and attempt to get the engineer code off them while you’re at it. There is nothing to stop you removing it yourself if you are comfortable doing this (competent person) but if you do get someone to do it for you make sure they have a PSA license. Check that you own the alarm etc first.

At 20 years old, you may be hitting the lifespan of the alarm but if it’s not giving you trouble you could change it to self monitoring and have it call you instead. Have a read of this forum for help. Not sure what panel you have so can’t help you.

HKC are the main manufacturer for alarms installed in Ireland. Vanderbilt and GSD are also popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

We have a PW system which is probably of a similar age to yours, and we had someone out to set it up for self monitoring. Just had to buy the sim card and have to put €5 on it every 2-3 months. (And pay the guy to come out in the first place to switch it over). Been working perfectly ever since... although they dont make leaving PW easy!

Now the system just dials me when activated and a recording tells me which sensor/ door has been activated. Glad to see the back of PW!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Doop wrote: »
    We have a PW system which is probably of a similar age to yours, and we had someone out to set it up for self monitoring. Just had to buy the sim card and have to put €5 on it every 2-3 months. (And pay the guy to come out in the first place to switch it over). Been working perfectly ever since... although they dont make leaving PW easy!

Now the system just dials me when activated and a recording tells me which sensor/ door has been activated. Glad to see the back of PW!

Could you elaborate on how they don't make it easy to leave please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Could you elaborate on how they don't make it easy to leave please?

Just that you have to time it with the contract while watching out for the auto renewal which many people dispute the legality of... as in a lack of action (doing nothing) is not an agreement to sign up to a new 12 month contract. Also I seem to remember some required 'notice' period if you intend to cancel.

In the end we had it switched over just short of the contract expiry... they literally hounded us with phone calls for an outstanding €60 after being with them for over 10+ years. Then we were hounded by a debt collection agency.. which in the end we paid to end the phone calls! PW still phone occasionally to get us to go back with them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cobhlad

Doop wrote: »

can you pm details of this person who came out??

• Advertisement
Advertisement