Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland Shootings Cont'd [Mod Note in Post #1 updated 27/01/20

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Ryanpound65

So is your man Corcoran telling the truth, or is bull like most of the other speculation out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The gang legislation is there which is exactly the same as the one that was used against the IRA.

All you need is the opinion of a gard that you are part of an organised crime outfit and you can be locked away.

Baffling why they won't use it.

The gang legislation is there which is exactly the same as the one that was used against the IRA.

All you need is the opinion of a gard that you are part of an organised crime outfit and you can be locked away.

Should suspend habeas corpus either.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Because of all the civil liberties dogooders!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Patrick Thistle

Do you think the murder of the young lad will make them use this legislation more? It’s has to...Surely!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Maybe but why have these guys been getting away with it for years?
    The problem has been festering and building.

Why does it take an extraordinary event to concentrate the minds of the forces of law and order before there is real action?

How do you think that these fellas have 40 / 50 / 100 convictions ? The Guards have been doing their job, it's further up the chain is the problem.
    Sentencing is shocking and is aided and abetted by 'hug a thugs'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Do you think the murder of the young lad will make them use this legislation more? It’s has to...Surely!!

The courts have to do their jobs better, the Garda are getting them into the courts but then for the courts to set them free to roam again. Get more time for paying tv licence.

Yes 20 years ago. To be fair i haven't heard much about Glasgow in a llong time. Bar a feud with two families that i haven't taken much notice of. So i'll pass on the research thanks.

The point I was making, didn’t realise I would have to explain, was that you’re talking about Glasgow 20 years ago.... Arthur is loooooong dead, Paul is now a published author... These guys haven’t been relevant for decades..... You clearly don’t have a clue ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

No it won't. Alot of this legislation is written up by legislators who leave gaping holes in it which will always be challenged by solicitors and barristers. Because the legislation is not watertight the case usually will get thrown out by a judge. From what i know there are huge problems with the gang legislation which is why it's rarely used. The DPP and the Guards only get one shot at these folk in court and they don't want to **** it up because of dodgy legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

The point I was making, didn’t realise I would have to explain, was that you’re talking about Glasgow 20 years ago.... Arthur is loooooong dead, Paul is now a published author... These guys haven’t been relevant for decades..... You clearly don’t have a clue ;)

I was responding to another poster who mentioned Paul Ferris so never said i had a clue about modern day Glasgow gangland although the statistics for gun murder has always been higher in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Gerry G wrote: »
    No it won't. Alot of this legislation is written up by legislators who leave gaping holes in it which will always be challenged by solicitors and barristers. Because the legislation is not watertight the case usually will get thrown out by a judge. From what i know there are huge problems with the gang legislation which is why it's rarely used. The DPP and the Guards only get one shot at these folk in court and they don't want to **** it up because of dodgy legislation.

Spot on. But i feel with the passing of time and more experience at tightening up the gang laws, when its successful in a few prominent cases the floodgates will open and once it proves itself to be watertight it will be a game changer. But the sooner it happens the better.

I know from the Scottish legal system that a no comment interview will, a lot of the time, allow you to walk out of the cop shop the same day. Unless someone sees a face... Guessing it’s the same in Eire? Legislation you have at the moment doesn’t seem tight enough ? Genuinely hope that this is a turning point for your cracking country. Tioc...... Nah, I won’t :p

I know from the Scottish legal system that a no comment interview will, a lot of the time, allow you to walk out of the cop shop the same day. Unless someone sees a face... Guessing it’s the same in Eire? Legislation you have at the moment doesn’t seem tight enough ? Genuinely hope that this is a turning point for your cracking country. Tioc...... Nah, I won’t :p

Juries can draw a negative inference in Ireland from the no comment interviews.

Juries can draw a negative inference in Ireland from the no comment interviews.

Thanks for the info lad

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Louskerr123

https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5da048d14653d07b2518fe30

Interesting read about the guy who “John Corcoran“ posted about on his Facebook page earlier today.
    Had anyone else heard of this guy having been involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fiojo78

No Id never heard of him before. Interestingly apparently he previously owned a transport/logistics business that went belly up - anyone know what that business was called? Wonder what he was transporting.........

https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5da048d14653d07b2518fe30

Interesting read about the guy who “John Corcoran“ posted about on his Facebook page earlier today.
    Had anyone else heard of this guy having been involved?

He's well known around Drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Takeyapickaxe

Well I would be more worried now what is going on in Belfast at the moment.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1232546/coronavirus-latest-uk-cases-location-spread-northern-ireland-scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Quiet on here tonight.

Where is everyone?, seemed to be popping for the last few weeks reading back.

Wheres all the regulars tonight?

Bought a few tins and was gonna read this tonight.

• Advertisement

Quiet on here tonight.

Where is everyone?, seemed to be popping for the last few weeks reading back.

Wheres all the regulars tonight?

Bought a few tins and was gonna read this tonight.
    Could be the Calm Before The Storm

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Vague9i0

Could be the Calm Before The Storm

Or they've had a weeks ban...or they're having their dinner

Vague9i0 wrote: »

Bat and mouse soup for some hopefully :rolleyes:

Vague9i0 wrote: »

Haha say a weeks ban is the most likely, all is gone quiet on the news anyway, say a few are plotting their next moves and some are staying outta sight.

Haha say a weeks ban is the most likely, all is gone quiet on the news anyway, say a few are plotting their next moves and some are staying outta sight.

If i was on my toes I would head for China, nobody will come looking there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Gearoidknows

Jeez this John Corcoran lad is sailing fairly close to the wind with his fb posts

Yeah, hes named 7 people now who were part of the 4 man gang.

Yeah, hes named 7 people now who were part of the 4 man gang.

I know, but he's hitting on some accurate info

GARDAÍ are increasing patrols in Blackpool on the northside of #Cork city following the release of two videos by opposing gangs.
    The videos of up to 40 masked men armed with various implements, threatening each other, were circulated within a couple of hours of each other.
    @Irelandunderworld page on Twitter there's video footage, looks like it's going to kick off there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Gearoidknows

I know, but he's hitting on some accurate info

Not so sure, he was posting stuff which named 3 people who are now unconnected to the crime scene. Hes going off hearsay same as the rest of us. I reckon that if there was videos sent to anyone by the perpetrators, then the travellers are guessing who else might have been there. And they're basically just naming anyone now who is connected to the gang

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Jo Kaine

GARDAÍ are increasing patrols in Blackpool on the northside of #Cork city following the release of two videos by opposing gangs.
    The videos of up to 40 masked men armed with various implements, threatening each other, were circulated within a couple of hours of each other.
    @Irelandunderworld page on Twitter there's video footage, looks like it's going to kick off there too.

Nothing will happen there. All hot air.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement