Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland Shootings Cont'd [Mod Note in Post #1 updated 27/01/20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

VW 1 wrote: »
    As above, it costs the state far more to lock people up for life after three strikes, it's not a deterrent. The criminal population in America is at an all time high, it is the highest in the world by quite a margin. Are you happy to pay to house criminals? That costs multiples more than their 200 dole a week.

If they were not incarcerated can you imagine how more dangerous the country would be. They are there for a reason.

You should run for election on that type of rock solid manifesto. A break in the cycle through education and opportunity is needed. Decriminalisation of drugs would be a first step, not a step towards a system mirroring one of the worst failures of a justice system we've ever seen in the US.

They literally have slavery over there where the judges and elites own the companies where prisoners who are in for life, work manufacturing products for literally cents an hour. To say you want a system like the one in the US shows you have no clue as to how that system works.

I want tougher sentences. Education and oppurtunities? Are you soft lad? They are laughing at you. And living comfortably off the state for doing absolutely nothing. If there was work in the bed they'd sleep on the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭threeball

You should run for election on that type of rock solid manifesto. A break in the cycle through education and opportunity is needed. Decriminalisation of drugs would be a first step, not a step towards a system mirroring one of the worst failures of a justice system we've ever seen in the US.

They literally have slavery over there where the judges and elites own the companies where prisoners who are in for life, work manufacturing products for literally cents an hour. To say you want a system like the one in the US shows you have no clue as to how that system works.

I'm not suggesting you ape the American system but you can't have a system like here that has zero deterrent.

Decriminalisation of drugs does nothing as the scum move to the next illegal trade that makes money. And education my arse, you can't get these layabouts to take their kids to school or stop sledging their kid who might read a book. No chance you're getting any significant changes through education unless you literally put the kids in boarding schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Augme

Augme wrote: »
    You said tougher sentences work, but they don't.

I said thats what i would like. Whydoesn't it work? I never said it would stop all crime. Only an idiot would think that. Seems to be a few on here.

Would Fat Jimmy Connors have had the time to rack up 300 convictions if he was given a long sentence very early into his criminal career. How about Donna Hutch and her 450 convictions? A complete waste of space and burden on society. You dont think it would have benefited society if she was banged up for 20 or 30 years?

It would stop many criminals or petty criminals i feel if they knew the risk of being caught was most of their life in prison. Obviously not all as there are some you will never stop it's just in them but even when the career, recidivist criminal gets caught would you not like to see him/her put away for a long time.

Crime will never cease to exist but lets punish those commiting it accordingly. This is a criminals paradise with a laughably lenient justice system.If you dont agree fair enough but for me its long gone beyond time to get tough on criminals.

I certainly agree that there are alot of stupid people here alright.

Tough sentences haven't worked in America and generally don't work. It's a waste of time. Personally I think 30 year s in prison for nicking a bottle of gin is ridiculous and a waste of money. it costs roughly around 73k per year to keep one prisoner locked up.

I'd rather try things to have proven track record of working then wasting more tax payers money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Is there no sentencing thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

We rank in the top 10 safest countries in the world
    http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/safest-countries-in-the-world/

Rank 12th on the Global peace index
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Peace_Index

Maybe let's look at our society objectively and consider we are doing relatively well.

Maybe let's look at our society objectively and consider we are doing relatively well.

We are in many ways. But Jimmy Connors and Donna Hutch and the many like them need to punished accordingly. No way people should be swanning around with hundreds of convictions. It has to stop.

I certainly agree that there are alot of stupid people here alright.

Tough sentences haven't worked in America and generally don't work. It's a waste of time. Personally I think 30 year s in prison for nicking a bottle of gin is ridiculous and a waste of money. it costs roughly around 73k per year to keep one prisoner locked up.

I'd rather try things to have proven track record of working then wasting more tax payers money.

Fair point re the cost but why is it so high? What is the average cost in the States? Doubt its anywhere near that. 30 years for nicking a bottle of gin? You must be referencing that Alabama man who got 36 years and harsh as it is he knew the 3 strikes and out was in force and still couldn't stop himself. Where does personnal responsibility come into it?

Maybe so but we have a very small population and should be easy enough police. You can't have people going around destroying people's livelihoods with impunity. How many tradesmen have their tools robbed every day. 1000s of euros they have to cover and if the culprits are ever caught they get a suspended sentence. Same for shop keepers. Having people with 90 convictions running around free to do as they please is a joke.

threeball wrote: »
    Maybe so but we have a very small population and should be easy enough police. You can't have people going around destroying people's livelihoods with impunity. How many tradesmen have their tools robbed every day. 1000s of euros they have to cover and if the culprits are ever caught they get a suspended sentence. Same for shop keepers. Having people with 90 convictions running around free to do as they please is a joke.

And living comfortably off the state to supplement there criminal ways. If it wasn't so disgusting ot would be funny.

• Advertisement

It costs 75K or whatever to put a person in prison for a year. But how much is society saving by getting them off the streets. Id imagine the likes off Fat Andy Connors and thousands like him are causing a lot more cost to the state than 75K per year. They need to be taken off the streets they contribute nothing but misery.

It costs 75K or whatever to put a person in prison for a year. But how much is society saving by getting them off the streets. Id imagine the likes off Fat Andy Connors and thousands like him are causing a lot more cost to the state than 75K per year. They need to be taken off the streets they contribute nothing but misery.

That was my point earlier. How much hard a time spent on that useless lump, legal aid and judges for endless court appearances, dole, sprogs, free housing, cost to the average working joe that they target. That's just scratching the surface. Every one of these scores is costing minimum 100k a year when out on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

You said tougher sentences work, but they don't.

We don't know that, There has never tough sentencing from any judge in this country.
    gazz wrote: »

The criteria for "safety" and "peace" is so vague that it lacks any meaning whatsoever, do you think people feel safe walking their dogs in Darndale, Finglas, Blanch etc with scramblers flying by non stop? Do you think the people living on the same row of houses as a stash house get any peace? And even worse, is the idea "oh we're grand for now this index says so, but if things get worse sure we'll do something then", do you think that if the people of Chicago could go back to a point where we're close to, before it got really bad, and enact measures to try and stem the violence and mayhem that followed, that they wouldn't do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KM792

Jesus I don't care about Chicago.

Somebody shoot someone please.Anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Just the one will do, quality over quantity I say!

Something with a machine gun perhaps!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Brilliant, I'm over the moon, where do we rate on homelessness, hospital waiting lists etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

not yet wrote: »
    Brilliant, I'm over the moon, where do we rate on homelessness, hospital waiting lists etc etc...

Very good actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

lola85 wrote: »
    Very good actually.

Tell that to the man waiting 4 years on hip replacement surgery, tell that to the family waiting 10 years on a council home. So your very good, is not really relevant to these people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

not yet wrote: »
    Tell that to the man waiting 4 years on hip replacement surgery, tell that to the family waiting 10 years on a council home. So your very good, is not really relevant to these people.

If they were from one of the lower ranking countries there's a good chance they would be dead years ago so would not have to worry about those waiting lists. The issues you have pointed out come about in part because of long life expectancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

My mrs bought in to my theory one day it was snowing and in pops jingles.

Thats gas,I had the exact same conversations with my mrs when living in Finglas a few years back. It could be a wet and freezing November day yet the ice cream man always showed up, day after day throughout winter. Parents had their head wrecked with the kids begging. Had thought he might be a cover for selling but probably makes more sense it was laundering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

El_Bee wrote: »
    We don't know that, There has never tough sentencing from any judge in this country.

The criteria for "safety" and "peace" is so vague that it lacks any meaning whatsoever, do you think people feel safe walking their dogs in Darndale, Finglas, Blanch etc with scramblers flying by non stop? Do you think the people living on the same row of houses as a stash house get any peace? And even worse, is the idea "oh we're grand for now this index says so, but if things get worse sure we'll do something then", do you think that if the people of Chicago could go back to a point where we're close to, before it got really bad, and enact measures to try and stem the violence and mayhem that followed, that they wouldn't do it?

I love these responses "get out of here with your objective data", no place for that around here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Will ye's ever piss off with this stupid shîte please? Create your own thread or take it to PMs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I love when I hear people say that prison or tougher sentencing doesn't work, points at the U.S. crime / prison stats and then offer zero alternatives as deterrence for commiting crimes here other that hugs and lollipops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

A significant seizure of heroin was made today (Sun Sept 1st) after a joint search operation was carried out by Gardai and British Police across Dublin and Meath.

Heroin with a value of €1million was seized and three men, aged in their 40s and 50s, were arrested by Gardai.

The men are currently detained at a Dublin Garda station.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I love when I hear people say that prison or tougher sentencing doesn't work, points at the U.S. crime / prison stats and then offer zero alternatives as deterrence for commiting crimes here other that hugs and lollipops.

If someone doesn't have a solution yet that's fine, it's ok to stick with what we have until we can come up with a better alternative, moving to a system like the U.S that has already show to increase crime rates would be daft.

tuxy wrote: »
    If someone doesn't have a solution yet that's fine, it's ok to stick with what we have until we can come up with a better alternative, moving to a system like the U.S that has already show to increase crime rates would be daft.

Increase crime rates? What would the rates be if all these convicted felons were still on the streets? America would be a lot more dangerous if these criminals were roaming free. We need to get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭spider baby 172

Niece of Gerry 'The Monk' Hutch given nine-month sentence for theft which happened days after jail release.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/niece-gerry-the-monk-hutch-16843205

Does anyone know where this yoke fits into the Hutch family tree? She is a daughter of one of the Monks sisters is she?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭septictank

Does anyone know where this yoke fits into the Hutch family tree? She is a daughter of one of the Monks sisters is she?

Not sure, think she's John's daughter. I used to see her around Manor street not far from his place.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/niece-of-gerry-the-monk-hutch-warned-to-stay-out-of-north-inner-city-by-judge-37273679.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement