Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to start

Options
  • 15-07-2019 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Getting into golf..

Any suggestions for me?

IE clubs etc...

Thanks

Comments

keano25 wrote: »
    Getting into golf..

Any suggestions for me?

IE clubs etc...

Thanks

A lot of clubs run a beginner night during the summer where you can go and try it out before joining.

Clubs (as in what you swing to hit the ball): You can pick up a handy enough starter kit for under €200 in various places. You'll probably get a 2nd hand half decent set on adverts for even less. When starting out, you're better off going with a bog standard set instead of splashing the cash.

Other equipment: sports direct online are great for picking up consumable bits and bobs like shoes, tees, gloves, balls etc.

Clubs (as in where you play): Depending on your age, some places have great junior/intermediate deals and introductory deals for full members. I'd stick to the public courses for a while, until you get the 'swing' of things anyway. Less self-conscious and less serious. Plus you won't have established members giving you grief which has happened at practically every single course I've ever played.

Everything else:: Try to find a partner or two, someone willing to go out once a week. You'll only get better playing regularly, and it's much better craic when there's a few of you....especially when you're all crap at the start. Joining a club means you have the pick of playing partners, but when you're starting out that can be a bit daunting. See if you can get a couple of the lads out on a public course of an evening while the sun is out. Take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

A lot of clubs run a beginner night during the summer where you can go and try it out before joining.

I've played a couple of rounds over the years with friends when on holidays so I know I like the sport but just don't have a clue about what clubs to get..

Thanks lads.. is it necessary to buy a beginner set or can I just buy any set?

I mean are there different grades of clubs.. easier to hit then others? And if so do the harder to hit ones go further etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Thanks lads.. is it necessary to buy a beginner set or can I just buy any set?

I mean are there different grades of clubs.. easier to hit then others? And if so do the harder to hit ones go further etc..
    Buy a second hand set of game improvement irons. I started with ping g 2's. You would get a set of those for about 100 euro. Get a putter and when you develop a swing you can upgrade to newer irons, drivers etc.
    Don't spend big money initially, plenty of time for that. In fact if you have money to spend use it for lessons and it will be money we'll spent.

• Advertisement

Buy a second hand set of game improvement irons. I started with ping g 2's. You would get a set of those for about 100 euro. Get a putter and when you develop a swing you can upgrade to newer irons, drivers etc.
    Don't spend big money initially, plenty of time for that. In fact if you have money to spend use it for lessons and it will be money we'll spent.

And are the irons a standard length or do they vary?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

And are the irons a standard length or do they vary?

I would say most are the same length but you will get second hand ones that would have Been fitted to the owner so maybe slightly longer/shorter. If you're joining a club that has a pro sop they should let you try out a couple of second hand sets. Best of luck. You will soon be addicted ( and frustrated).

Thanks. Ya definitely a bit bamboozled at the moment taking in information but probably just over thinking things.

If you join a club, play in as many comps as you can. You'll be nervous and embarrassed the first few times but there is nothing like competition to make u better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement