Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win 10 ethernet issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

mrawkward wrote: »
    My 2014 HP 64bit pc keeps losing the ethernet connection since moving it to Windows 10..... Have to constantly reset it. Driver is latest version.

Would a new ethernet adapter card sort this... https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TG-3468-Gigabit-Express-Network/dp/B003CFATNI/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=Ethernet+card&qid=1563204702&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Thanks
    Peter

Have you tried a different ethernet cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

Have you tried a different ethernet cable?

I will try that thanks.... I will also try a different room plug, I have a spare TP Link one with both ethernet port and wifi antennas Cheers P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Make sure to turn of the Network adaptors "Power Saving" feature:
    https://superuser.com/questions/1039701/how-should-you-set-power-management-settings-in-windows-10

I've seen it cause random disconnects before

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Make sure to turn of the Network adaptors "Power Saving" feature:
    https://superuser.com/questions/1039701/how-should-you-set-power-management-settings-in-windows-10

I've seen it cause random disconnects before

Nick

One of the first things I did.....it drops while actually using it. Generally have to run the diagnostics at least twice to get it back with no other interventions..weird

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Is the NIC onboard or can you re-seat it?
    Sounds like a faulty NIC or cable.

Have you tried uninstalling it from Device Manager and rebooting so it cleanly installs again?

• Advertisement

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Is the NIC onboard or can you re-seat it?
    Sounds like a faulty NIC or cable.

Have you tried uninstalling it from Device Manager and rebooting so it cleanly installs again?

Yes standard HP build fitment. Only started giving trouble after Win10 upgrade.
    Thanks I will try that.

Thanks I will try that.

ok - download any new NIC driver from HP for Windows 10 as well and latest chipsets.
    Did you BIOS update before you did the OS upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,066 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Thanks I will try that.

Try using the win 8 driver. Right click it and select compatibility mode.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    ok - download any new NIC driver from HP for Windows 10 as well and latest chipsets.
    Did you BIOS update before you did the OS upgrade?

Updated driver but don't remember doing anything with the BIOS. How can I check

Thanks
    Peter

Updated driver but don't remember doing anything with the BIOS. How can I check

Thanks
    Peter

HP will have a detection app that will tell you what's out of date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You said this in the OP too and yet people keep advising about hardware faults.... the mind boggles.

W10s upgrade process can make a dogs dinner of drivers. You need to uninstall the device deleting the driver files then go and manually install the correct drivers. Not the right click, update drivers option.

If problems persist do the same for your chipset drivers.

Installed HP assistant and updated BIOS, drivers, chipset etc, ran the various setup tests etc and all seems fine so far. Thanks for the help and advice. Peter

Advertisement