Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

walshb wrote: »
    Hey, I’d loving nothing more than to be proved wrong.

But I think NZ and SA will have to be favorites in the QFs. Unless they look shoddy in the group stages..

I never did believe it when people said the Irish fan was always pessimistic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

errlloyd wrote: »
    Purely philosophically I am not really sure why he can't bet on rugby that doesn't involve Wales or the Regions.

A coach like Howley would have connections to clubs all over the world, be it players or other coaches. It'd be impossible to make a list of games/clubs he could bet on and there be no possibility of potential match fixing or collusion. Hence the blanket ban. Not saying that he would facilitate or be a part of match fixing, but there's always that chance and you can't allow someone to do it and then investigate each bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I never did believe it when people said the Irish fan was always pessimistic

Realistic more than pessimistic..

Purely from a betting stance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Chivito550 wrote: »
    https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/17/japan-embrace-rugby-world-cup-shock

Doesn't seem like Japan is embracing the World Cup to the way one would hope. Even though its a year out the Olympics is completely overshadowing it.

Hope it works as rugby needs different hosts. If it fails it will stop them trying new hosts again and it will be England and France more or less every time, maybe Australia.

In fairness 15k turned out to watch Wales train. Must be getting some traction, could still be a successful tournament if a bit swallowed up by the sheer size of the population over there.

127m people vs 4m in NZ. Even if 25% of them are competely unaware its evening happening, it could still be a success. Tokyo has 9m people alone, I can't see rugby taking over and giving the city a world cup feeling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/17/japan-embrace-rugby-world-cup-shock

Doesn't seem like Japan is embracing the World Cup to the way one would hope. Even though its a year out the Olympics is completely overshadowing it.

Hope it works as rugby needs different hosts. If it fails it will stop them trying new hosts again and it will be England and France more or less every time, maybe Australia.

Of course the Olympics is overshadowing it - it's a much bigger event and always will be. It doesn't really matter though does it?

They have sold 97% of tickets - it is already a success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Speaking of betting...anyone got any fancies? Think fiji might shock a few people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

RWC 2023, Paris 2024 Olympics.

It should have been us, we'd have given RWC some shot in the arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

I'm off the grid on holidays and just seen about Howley, what an absolute disaster for them. Even Wales surely can't get far?!

Wouldnt be so sure. Was there in 2002 and the day of no games you would hardly know the wod cup was on, but on match days the locals embraced. By surprised if the same doesnt happen once the action begins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Wouldnt be so sure. Was there in 2002 and the day of no games you would hardly know the wod cup was on, but on match days the locals embraced. By surprised if the same doesnt happen once the action begins

You might have been there a year early maybe?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

steves2 wrote: »
    I'm off the grid on holidays and just seen about Howley, what an absolute disaster for them. Even Wales surely can't get far?!

I don't think it will be that much of a bad thing if anything it might galvanize the team. Also with Stephen Jones coming in who will be taking that spot in the new set up they have an able replacement. I had them down to quarter finals maybe squeeze a semi final

You might have been there a year early maybe?

the football world cup...

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Heading into town to watch the New Zealand SA game- need to stay close to Dame Street area. Assume Trinity Bar (old Citi Bar) is the best place to watch the match, food and a pint (considering it’s a hotel-ish)?

andymx11 wrote: »
    Heading into town to watch the New Zealand SA game- need to stay close to Dame Street area. Assume Trinity Bar (old Citi Bar) is the best place to watch the match, food and a pint (considering it’s a hotel-ish)?

Most spots in town should be open at around 10 and serving at 10:30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Podge_irl wrote: »
    the football world cup...

Ah yeah. Thought it was the RWC in oz referred to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I just realised all the matches will be at super-crappy-o'clock for me - kicking off between midnight and 3am.

Will there be a legal, online, re-live service anywhere, do you know? I don't have a TV with DVR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I just realised all the matches will be at super-crappy-o'clock for me - kicking off between midnight and 3am.

Will there be a legal, online, re-live service anywhere, do you know? I don't have a TV with DVR.

NBC, for a low, low price...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The prices on rugby travel Ireland are insane

People who buy them and even non package holders must of been saving for years for this trip

Enjoy everyone going truly a once in a lifetime trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

PTH2009 wrote: »

People who buy them and even non package holders must of been saving for years for this trip

Enjoy everyone going truly a once in a lifetime trip

It wasn't too bad for us in the end. €600 for flights, two weeks accomodation in nice hotels for €800pp.

The tickets cost a wedge but I'm only going to the semi final and final in Cat B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Frans Steyn covering 10???

That could be risky..... Though I don't think Elton jantjies is up to this level.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Purely philosophically I am not really sure why he can't bet on rugby that doesn't involve Wales or the Regions.

Snooker players can't bet on themselves to win

There is the possibility if for example Howley attended a GP game to watch a welsh player and subsequently got team information via that Welsh player about them sending a weakened team to play Saracens away the following week, it opens up the handicap market to Howley to get on. We all see how the markets change once teams are announced.

https://twitter.com/AlexMLowe/status/1174236069904179201?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

once you got tickets in ballot you can choose to organise your own trip at a fraction of the cost you can also pay for tickets, flights and accommodation over a phased basis over the last year (as we have).

we only need spending money for the actual trip now

most expensive accommodation we have is around €100 a night (for 2)

People I know on the packages are paying the equivalent of 400 a night to the travel agent

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Riskymove wrote: »
    once you got tickets in ballot you can choose to organise your own trip at a fraction of the cost you can also pay for tickets, flights and accommodation over a phased basis over the last year (as we have).

we only need spending money for the actual trip now

most expensive accommodation we have is around €100 a night (for 2)

People I know on the packages are paying the equivalent of 400 a night to the travel agent

As ever with rugby trips be they European or international it's always far cheaper to organise it yourself. But a lot of people are willing to pay for the comfort of just paying your money and turning up without the hassle of organising anything. (Personally I'm a DIYer too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

My flights were about €850 from Shannon. Central Tokyo hotel is about €130 pn.

Interesting post on this thread. If that is even remotely close to the truth

https://twitter.com/andymcgeady/status/1174295648012840960?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

As ever with rugby trips be they European or international it's always far cheaper to organise it yourself. But a lot of people are willing to pay for the comfort of just paying your money and turning up without the hassle of organising anything. (Personally I'm a DIYer too)

I think that's been the case since Travel agents started operating 60 or 70 years ago!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

repeating stuff is very much the norm for eir :pac:

ITV and RTE for me, no way am i paying €30 extra a month for Eir

the lack of recording on ITV is annoying but RTE showing highlights later on each night i think and clips will show up here and there on social media i doubt

Almost certainly Youtube will have highlights uploaded within a hour or even less after the games finish. Look at PL Football where Sky Sports upload highlights of all fixtures on a Saturday long before MOTD and CL where BT upload higlights on Tues/Wed of their live games. Yoiurtube is your friend here.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So NZ sticking with richie at 10 with BB at 15..... Bridge and reece on the wings.

Some fall of form for rieko ioane not to have a place in the 23.

I think SA could actually take this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

sydthebeat wrote: »
    So NZ sticking with richie at 10 with BB at 15..... Bridge and reece on the wings.

Some fall of form for rieko ioane not to have a place in the 23.

I think SA could actually take this one.

Yeah I'm thinking same.
    An Ire v NZ quarter final, and Hansen's reign ends with an early exit from the comp.

Seriously though, they won't fancy meeting us.

kuang1 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm thinking same.
    An Ire v NZ quarter final, and Hansen's reign ends with an early exit from the comp.

Seriously though, they won't fancy meeting us.

Definitely would prefer Scotland, but I don't think they would worry about Ireland as much as England or South Africa, despite recent defeats.

I still think the AB's team isn't their strongest, and I'm hoping Rassie's comments about the refereeing come back to bite him. After all, this is the ref that has given the AB's 2 red cards in recent years, so he's not exactly afraid to penalise them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Is it lunch time yet in Japan? Or is the team not announced till tomorrow?

accensi0n wrote: »

It's almost bedtime so I'm guessing we'll see it tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

7am tomorrow morning apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Basil3 wrote: »
    Definitely would prefer Scotland, but I don't think they would worry about Ireland as much as England or South Africa, despite recent defeats.

you can tie yourself up in notes on the possible conspiracy/strategy

If NZ actually were runner up in group they would likely avoid SA or England until the final

which is worse - Ireland in QF or England in SF?

personally I doubt there can be that much conspiracy involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

It must be a little worrying nonetheless for NZ, that Ireland would prefer to play them, than play SA. NZ know Ireland is a match now, when in the past they rightly approached us with the confidence with which we would play Chile or Spain. Two recent-ish losses have changed that, and introduced some element of doubt in NZ minds, which in itself gives us a little more advantage than previously when they would have expected to wallop us with little ado.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Is there anywhere in Dublin going to be showing the non-Ireland matches?

It must be a little worrying nonetheless for NZ, that Ireland would prefer to play them, than play SA. NZ know Ireland is a match now, when in the past they rightly approached us with the confidence with which we would play Chile or Spain. Two recent-ish losses have changed that, and introduced some element of doubt in NZ minds, which in itself gives us a little more advantage than previously when they would have expected to wallop us with little ado.

I really don't think NZ concern themselves with which opponents prefer to play them over another opponent.

• Advertisement

It must be a little worrying nonetheless for NZ, that Ireland would prefer to play them, than play SA.

:pac: There is no way that is even remotely true

Blisterman wrote: »
    Is there anywhere in Dublin going to be showing the non-Ireland matches?

Woolshed is showing nearly all the games I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

accensi0n wrote: »

Well it's been said that Kearney and Earls have to prove themselves fit in Fridays training session, so it'll be lunchtime tomorrow in Japan. Early morning here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

There should be some sort of World Rugby Cup every 2 years. It could be a much shorter tournament with a different format. But I think it is such a huge opportunity wasted that we only get to see the best international rugby teams on full display every 4 years.

It should certainly get more eyes on the game and help to grow it.

To put things in perspective, Ireland have played Scotland at test level a total of 135 times, whereas have played South Africa only 26 times. When you only have 9 competent (maybe 10) international teams, I'm of the opinion that it's a pity there isn't something to help fill in that gap.

Ireland's win over New Zealand meant so much, but that happening when there is silverware on the line would put that win on a whole new level.

Yet Ireland have never even faced New Zealand in a World Cup.

Well that's not true considering we played them in 95,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Well that's not true considering we played them in 95,

Can I change that to, I've never seen Ireland play New Zealand in a Rugby World Cup. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Gona go with
    15. Larmour 14. Conway 11. Stockdale 13. Ringrose 12.Aki 10. Sexton 9. Murray
    1.Healy 2.Best 3.Furlong 4.Henderson 5.Ryan 6.POM 7.VdF 8. Stander

Scannell , Kilcoyne , Porter , Beirne , Conan , McGrath , Carty , Farrell

Gona go with
    15. Larmour 14. Conway 11. Stockdale 13. Ringrose 12.Aki 10. Sexton 9. Kearny
    1.Healy 2.Best 3.Furlong 4.Henderson 5.Ryan 6.POM 7.VdF 8. Stander

Scannell , Kilcoyne , Porter , Beirne , Conan , McGrath , Carty , Farrell

What's Kearney's box kick like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Basil3 wrote: »
    What's Kearney's box kick like?

Whats worse is I posted in the wrong bloody thread, haha. :facepalm:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

• Advertisement
Advertisement