Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

This was a tweet from him though

Exclusive in @ST_Sport yes. World Rugby DID make strenuous efforts to re-fix threatened games. And two major Unions battled to stop them. On or off today the bitterness will continue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

What "interventions" is he talking about? The only public mention has been his own "story", which the IRFU has denied.

Brian Moore posted on Twitter the other day that NZ were against rescheduling games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

It's Jones lads, he has previous. Horrid individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Why has Eddie Jones a permanent smile on his face?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Well Japan are a top 8 team! There's no doubt. They beat us and Scotland and deservedly so.
    I think that's the best story from this tourney.
    I think that Uraguay are also improving and Fiji are close to being a tier 1 nation.
    It's disappointing to see how poor Canada have been. They really have fallen these past few years. At one time, I thought they would be a top 15 side, but they are awful.
    Georgia's have also disappointed. I think they were very poor. All in all, I don't think the tier 2 nations have closed the gap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I think overall the tier 2 sides have closed the gap in fitness and conditioning but not in rugby skills. They are better able to cope in defence but not trouble top sides with their attack. I'm talking about Uruguay, Georgia here. The islanders, especially Fiji have all the talent in the world but lack a game plan to really trouble the best consistently. Canada, Namibia and Russia are just too far behind to even consider an upset.
    There were no 140 point drubbing in this world cup thank god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Unlike you, and a select few like you...
    .... The majority of posters on this site actually want Ireland to win.

I would like Ireland to win but i have enough cop on to know that the All Black's will beat us. I don't believe in moral victories even if Ireland lose by 3 points.

What happens if there is a typhoon next Saturday against nz? Will we automatically qualify for the semis. Its our best chance i believe.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

teednab-el wrote: »
    What happens if there is a typhoon next Saturday against nz? Will we automatically qualify for the semis. Its our best chance i believe.

You are a special kind of troll really.....

• Advertisement

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    As always, I go wherever I want.

I look foward to your mortgage bet screenshot next week, throw it up before the game if possible, there's a good lad.

You love the commotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭One More Toy

What day are we playing new Zealand? Don't see it mentioned anywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

What day are we playing new Zealand? Don't see it mentioned anywhere!
    Saturday.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Saturday.

Cén tam?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cén tam?

11.15 Irish game, Eng v Aus at 8.15 Saturday morning.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    11.15 Eng v Aus at 8.15 Saturday morning.

8.15 for the Ireland match?

• Advertisement

England v NZ semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I would like Ireland to win but i have enough cop on to know that the All Black's will beat us. I don't believe in moral victories even if Ireland lose by 3 points.
    The same was said before a certain game in Chicago

Show us that betting slip with your house on it then? :pac:

8.15 for the Ireland match?

No, it's 11:15am.

That was an extremely confusing way of saying what time the matches are up above ^^

Basil3 wrote: »
    No, it's 11:15am.

That was an extremely confusing way of saying what time the matches are up above ^^

Thanks!

The same was said before a certain game in Chicago

Show us that betting slip with your house on it then? :pac:

That was a friendly against a 2nd string NZ team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

England v NZ semi final.

someones getting boring

yeh we get it you think they cant win

someones getting boring

yeh we get it you think they cant win

They won't. Select your words carefully or they might come back to bite you next Saturday after the game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Murof

They won't. Select your words carefully or they might come back to bite you next Saturday after the game.
    You're embarrassing yourself. Just go away.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You are a special kind of troll really.....

Not a troll but having watched both teams playing in the RWC. We are in for some hammering. NZ can't wait for this game. They will be out to proove a point that November was a flash in the pan.

Murof wrote: »
    You're embarrassing yourself. Just go away.

I am just calling the game as it is. Its a dead rubber for Ireland.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Improve the standard of your posts if you want to keep posting here.

awec wrote: »
    Improve the standard of your posts if you want to keep posting here.

I suppose people dont want to hear reality and thats fine too. I hope Ireland win Saturday and hope im wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I suppose people dont want to hear reality and thats fine too. I hope Ireland win Saturday and hope im wrong.
    How is something that hasn't happened yet reality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭joseywhales

You should try to explain what things in ireland's control they can change in order to affect a better result, otherwise you are just making negative statements not rooted in fact which is just going to make you and everyone else feel a little bit more miserable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

OldRio wrote: »
    It's Jones lads, he has previous. Horrid individual.

Eddie or Stephen?

• Advertisement

You should try to explain what things in ireland's control they can change in order to affect a better result, otherwise you are just making negative statements not rooted in fact which is just going to make you and everyone else feel a little bit more miserable.

We need to move the ball faster. Our passing is too slow and predictable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Jones acknowledges that Ireland's motivation isn't clear.

Fair enough people don't like his opinion pieces but it would be very odd if he'd just made up a factual report.

I wouldn’t find it odd at all. His hatred of Ireland seems borderline pathological at times

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

reg114 wrote: »
    What you didn't see from Japan was them kicking the ball away, a tactic inexplicably beloved of ireland. The difference between Ireland and Japan stylistically and from a skills standpoint is night and day. Our boys could learn alot from how the Japanese play the game.

Have you actually watched Ireland play in the last 3 years :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Away from the few embarrassing themselves on this thread, after the cancellation of their game this morning the Canadian team went out into Kamaishi and helped to start the cleanup in the aftermath of Typhoon Hagibis. Nice to see

We need to move the ball faster. Our passing is too slow and predictable.

So to move the ball faster, we need quicker rucks which requires more yards from ball carriers and specifically more yards after contact. Do you believe we have enough power, to create the ruck speed required for better lines of running, more options......and better passing?

So to move the ball faster, we need quicker rucks which requires more yards from ball carriers and specifically more yards after contact. Do you believe we have enough power, to create the ruck speed required for better lines of running, more options......and better passing?

Why cant we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Jacovs

If you told any SA fan before the world cup they would be facing Japan in the QF and then either Wales/France in the SF, I think most would gladly take that.

Certainly better than Ireland in QF and then either England/Aus in SF.

Why cant we?

Not sure if we have the power players to blow teams over the gainline maybe I'm wrong

Why cant we?
    There's an opposition too. And their job is to stop the tackled player presenting the ball quickly and then try to turn it over and slow it down so that they get their defence aligned again before the next phase. Getting multi-phase gain line success for the four or five (and sometimes even more) phases required to stress the defence enough for their just to be a mismatch, never mind a gap is difficult. The old adage of 'you have to earn the right to go wide' is still as valid today as it was when it was first coined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    No matter which team we played in Qtr we would of had to turn up, it would of had to be the performance of the year.....

Naw, the French would have been a walk over, ****e team.

Wailin wrote: »
    The French have always threatened to be a walk over team at world cups, but never seem to deliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

We will see after they play Wales next week

So you rate them? After their brilliant pool stage performances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So you rate them? After their brilliant pool stage performances?

France made bits of Wales in first half of match in 6 nations.....then decided to help Wales win the second half.....

France are the one team that have the players to rip anyone apart if they decide to play.....they could be hammered or they might hammer Wales.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

France made bits of Wales in first half of match in 6 nations.....then decided to help Wales win the second half.....

France are the one team that have the players to rip anyone apart if they decide to play.....they could be hammered or they might hammer Wales.....
    France are really building towards 2023 and will treat the rest of their involvement here with a Gallic shrug!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Not sure if we have the power players to blow teams over the gainline maybe I'm wrong

They don't have to be power players, they just need to take the ball at pace.

One out runners taking the ball standing still doesn't work against top teams.
    Sure you will get the odd try from players like tadgh beirne yesterday, but it's just tackling practice for a team with a solid defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Skyfloater

GreeBo wrote: »
    They don't have to be power players, they just need to take the ball at pace.

One out runners taking the ball standing still doesn't work against top teams.
    Sure you will get the odd try from players like tadgh beirne yesterday, but it's just tackling practice for a team with a solid defence.

This is just a head wrecker when you watch Ireland play, why can't they have one or two who stand deeper and run onto the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Skyfloater wrote: »
    This is just a head wrecker when you watch Ireland play, why can't they have one or two who stand deeper and run onto the ball.

I'd guess you'd need to be confident in your scrum half sending the ball out with the correct timing, so either the runners can't time it, Murray can't deliver it or Joe doesn't ask or want them doing it for some reason.

Skyfloater wrote: »
    The down side to this is a rush defence, resulting in you losing gain line with each recycle. And that slows down the attack as everyone has to realign behind the gain line for the next phase.

I know what the french are capable of, I'm a rugby fan after all. But I know the welsh are a well drilled well coached side with a system that works. France don't. France will crumble again, It will be an easy waltz to the semis for wales.

• Advertisement
Advertisement