Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

Had thought it would be a good or bad week for Irish international teams. Considered Ireland winning against Switzerland and Ireland against all Black's. So the first one was a disaster. I just hope Joe goes out with bang rather than a whimper. He's provided a solid foundation for the future, but solid isn't going to beat the all blacks on Saturday. I would love to see larmour, Conway and Stockdale and give this backline a chance to play some attacking rugby. It would annoy me to see the usual Kearney, earls an Stockdale rolled out. I don't mind losing but I hate losing with no adventure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Basil3 wrote: »
    I reckon Crotty/ALB midfield, with Sonny Bill for bench impact.

ALB is in amazing form, and Crotty has a lot of credit in the bank from breaking Irish hearts in 2013.

It's still insane that Reiko probably won't make the squad.

I reckon they’ll do the same.
    Taylor or Coles to start at hooker is another slot up for debate.

What I find mad is that there is talk of Ben “from accounts” Smith loosing the 23 jersey to Jordie Barrett.
    (Another Barrett is also mad!)

You've to apply to get into the soccer forum, so they don't let brand new troll poster accounts in etc, and the wait time turns them off bothering. Big overhead on the mods but it does look to cut down the blow-ins trying to cause trouble like we get every international period when they jump over.

It's always great to see new posters getting involved, just a shame there's a few trying to drag everyone else down.

I have access to it and couldn't think of anything more pathetic than gloating about the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

I wonder how many regular posters here feel the need to go to the soccer forum and throw useless comments?

None? Thought as much
    You've to apply to get into the soccer forum, so they don't let brand new troll poster accounts in etc, and the wait time turns them off bothering. Big overhead on the mods but it does look to cut down the blow-ins trying to cause trouble like we get every international period when they jump over.

It's always great to see new posters getting involved, just a shame there's a few trying to drag everyone else down.
    Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I got accepted to the soccer forum a while ago and I did contemplate going there to post about the team being an embarrassment, a disgrace and full of foreign mercenaries but then I realised that would just be pathetic.

Also I'm preoccupied with my role as Resident Kiwi Wanker here on the rugby forum this week.
    I have access to it and couldn't think of anything more pathetic than gloating about the team.

FFS, we're above that nonsense lads lets keep it that way. :cool:

As cmod of both, I can see all your dirty laundry..

Steve wrote: »
    FFS, we're above that nonsense lads lets keep it that way. :cool:

Nah lad, I'm actually being honest. I've very very little interest in soccer but know people who are involved in FORAS or have played in LoI. Would love for them to be able to go to Ireland in the Euros and enjoy every minute of it.

There is just a subset who love putting the boot in on this forum. It's a shame that we can't just appreciate the efforts of anyone putting on the green, no matter the sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Mod note:

Friendly reminder to all that this is the rugby forum, not the soccer forum.

Discussing soccer here may also harm your access to the soccer forum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I managed to get myself banned from there before I posted anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Reports that Rob Herring has been called up to the Irish squad as a replacement for Sean Cronin.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/50072412

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Reports that Rob Herring has been called up to the Irish squad as a replacement for Sean Cronin.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/50072412

Murray Kinsella had it too so say it's accurate

Steve wrote: »

Oh. Jesus.

That John Hayes erotica for Thomond was just a joke ha ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Ignoring your nonsensical rant about the Lions do you seriously think there is the remotest chance that this WC would be abandoned a week before the QFs are due to be played and restaged in Europe 2 years before France 2023 takes place? Get real.

No I don't think it will happen, but the Lions is outdated nonsense. Ireland and Wales and England are all much more competitive with the Southern Hemisphere teams now, the Lions harks back to a time when European sides weren't competitive with NZ, Aus and South Africa. What's the purpose of the Lions other than an adherence to clapped out tradition.

For the southern hemisphere teams it's arguably more relevant because it gives them a sense of superiority that England Scotland Ireland and Wales still have to cobble something together to compete with them. Ireland are competitive in test matches v all those sides now, forget that old Lions clapped out crap. Should be binned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

TheCitizen wrote: »
    No I don't think it will happen, but the Lions is outdated nonsense. Ireland and Wales and England are all much more competitive with the Southern Hemisphere teams now, the Lions harks back to a time when European sides weren't competitive with NZ, Aus and South Africa. What's the purpose of the Lions other than an adherence to clapped out tradition.

For the southern hemisphere teams it's arguably more relevant because it gives them a sense of superiority that England Scotland Ireland and Wales still have to cobble something together to compete with them. Ireland are competitive in test matches v all those sides now, forget that old Lions clapped out crap. Should be binned.

We will have to agree to disagree then. Players from the four home countries still consider it a huge honour to be named in a Lions squad and a Lions series of matches v Australia, NZ or SA is still regarded as one of the most prestigious events in rugby. It will not be scrapped anytime in the foreseeable future..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

The Lions is also not going anywhere because it makes a lot of €€€£££$$$ for all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Does anyone know if its possible to get UTV on Sky here? Only realised it wasn't included when I tried to watch the games last weekend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Tusky wrote: »
    Does anyone know if its possible to get UTV on Sky here? Only realised it wasn't included when I tried to watch the games last weekend.

Tuning instructions are in this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would have to agree that the Lions is a load of nonsense in this day and age.

Now Northern hemisphere vs Southern hemisphere would be something I could buy into.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Would have to agree that the Lions is a load of nonsense in this day and age.

Now Northern hemisphere vs Southern hemisphere would be something I could buy into.

The last few Lions tours have been seriously cringe inducing for all the hype. I'd say for the players, it's a great experience so for that reason alone, best of luck to the them but I struggle with the hype and all the fandom nonsense that is following what was originally just an exhibition touring side. Almost like a touring circus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

TheCitizen wrote: »

We will have to agree to disagree then. Players from the four home countries still consider it a huge honour to be named in a Lions squad and a Lions series of matches v Australia, NZ or SA is still regarded as one of the most prestigious events in rugby. It will not be scrapped anytime in the foreseeable future..
    Boscoirl wrote: »
    The Lions is also not going anywhere because it makes a lot of €€€£££$$$ for all involved.

I used to think the Lions was great, bit of a throw back to the old amateur days, a great tour to be on. I was in South Africa in 2009 and as a fan it's great.
    I have to a large degree fallen out of love with it as a concept. I would much rather Ireland won a grand slam or made a world cup semi final than a lions series win.

Also it does little for the development of the game. The only straw that can be clutched at is that every lions summer the 4 nations tend to send weaker test squads to less familiar places to tour, 2017 Ireland toured Japan (there's an irony, our B team won both tests comfortably) and Wales played Samoa & Tonga, Scotland played Fiji in Suva
    I would prefer that the Tier 1 nations played more tests in this window against the likes of Samoa, Fiji, Japan, USA etc...

The thing is like most of the tier 1 set up, 6N's Rugby Championship, as Boscoirl says it's driven by money and until that changes the Lions tours are going to be here for a while

That Aussie backline is a shambles. They have no idea who their first team is.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

What way are people calling the Quarters? What I'd like to see in the Semi's:-

Australia V Ireland
    Wales V Japan

What I think it will be:

England V Ireland (I really do!)
    Wales V South Africa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Japan could have another surprise in them but don't see past Eng v NZ, Wales v SA unfortunately but very happy to be proven wrong especially for Ireland result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Are RTE showing all 4 quarter final matches live over the weekend ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Gamb!t wrote: »

Yeah, they have all knockout games as far as I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Gamb!t wrote: »
    they have all remaining games in the competition

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Oh. Jesus.

That John Hayes erotica for Thomond was just a joke ha ha.

Yes. That Addidas see through Spandex pyjama bottoms / posing pouch was hilarious.....;););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Eod100 wrote: »
    Japan could have another surprise in them but don't see past Eng v NZ, Wales v SA unfortunately but very happy to be proven wrong especially for Ireland result

I Agree with the semi-final predictions.
    I think SA will have too much nous for Japan, it will be up the jumper rugby, no flair, pick & drive, win penalties, kick for line-outs, maul it to death. Ugly but effective, so in essence exactly what Ireland failed to do.

England on paper will batter Australia, the Jones factor should help them,he knows the Aussies better than most but that said I think Australia have 1 decent game in them, they've been very mediocre so far and they tend to peak for world cups but I can't see past England in all honesty, they haven't really put a foot wrong in the build up or in he games so far and the weeks rest will do them no harm at all

Wales have the Jonah over France in recent years and apart from a lacklustre performance against Uruguay have been quietly effective, good win over Australia, good win over a Fiji team who were looking for a scalp. I think they are dark horses for the whole thing if I'm honest. France had a good half hour against Argentina aided by a very poor referee, since then they have been incredibly ordinary.

Ireland need to recreate the form of 2017 and a bit like South Africa we need it to be an attritional arm wrestle. Because of that I was not surprised with the team, it is safety first, Kearney is there to be a safe pair of hands, no room for flair in this game. If Ireland are to be competitive the back row have to be on their game at the breakdown, and that's where I think having Owens will help us, he tends to let the game go and I think this will help us more than New Zealand, slowing their ball down is vital.
    If it becomes fast and loose the all blacks will rip us apart, every fibre of my being wants us to win this one, but my head is all about New Zealand

pc7 wrote: »
    What way are people calling the Quarters? What I'd like to see in the Semi's:-

Australia V Ireland
    Wales V Japan

What I think it will be:

England V Ireland (I really do!)
    Wales V South Africa

How long have you been having these thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I have a sick feeling Wales might actually do this. That or England.

Sorry. I just vomited in my mouth a little.

Imagine Gatland after that...I’d need a new planet to live on.

With Ford out and Lawes in, England are going to be even more physical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

How on earth in Dan Biggar allowed to start this week?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

AdamD wrote: »
    How on earth in Dan Biggar allowed to start this week?

Must have the same doctor as kurtley beale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

I hate to say this, but I think I'd prefer England to win it over Wales.

Really? I'd way prefer Wales over England. What have people got against Wales?

Gatland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Stephen Jones. Liam Williams.

• Advertisement

given a choice of all the remaining QFs

obvious ireland first.

after that:

japan

wales
    england

dont care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What have people got against Wales?

The Welsh. :)

Surprised by this. I've no issue with the Welsh really.

Sure Liam Williams have done a few dodgy things on the pitch but he's no Dylan Hartley, Martin Johnson or Billy Vunipola.

Wailin wrote: »
    Gatland.

I used to dislike Gatland until I saw this interview

Stephen Jones. Liam Williams.

stephen jones is more english than welsh these days... and they are welcome to him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Shane Williams

• Advertisement

Surprised by this. I've no issue with the Welsh really.

Sure Liam Williams have done a few dodgy things on the pitch but he's no Dylan Hartley, Martin Johnson or Billy Vunipola.

I used to dislike Gatland until I saw this interview

He's a Munster fan?

He's grand so, he still seems a bit broken up about not being allowed continue with Ireland

Kiwi fans are insufferable, worse than the English fans, and us. Pay a visit to the silver fern, their rugby forum, and you'll see what I mean. I'll be hoping for England to smash them if we get knocked out tomorrow, then Japan beat the English in the final :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the try that shouldn't have been in 2011 6N

they knocked us out of the WC QF in 2011

that scrap after the 2012 6N match

they always smash us in games that matter

oh and the insufferable Max Boyce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Wailin wrote: »
    Kiwi fans are insufferable, worse than the English fans, and us. Pay a visit to the silver fern, their rugby forum, and you'll see what I mean. I'll be hoping for England to smash them if we get knocked out tomorrow, then Japan beat the English in the final :D

If you think we're bad now, wait till we've kicked your butt tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    If you think we're bad now, wait till we've kicked your butt tomorrow.

Aahhh.... Fear... That's what that smell is.

Couldn't tell because I don't think I've ever experienced it in your company before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Australia well up for this. Could push England all the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Petaia started excellently

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Garces ignoring the offside line today then

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Good start by Oz, england offside for half those phases though

Great start from Aussie. Decent defence from England, but Hooper almost exposed space on the fringe of the ruck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement