Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I wouldn't read too much into this to be honest.

Japan were under a lot of pressure and expected to rack up a big score today.

Next week, pressure will all be on us, and they'll be fired up with nothing to lose. We should still win comfortably, but i'd say they'll give us a scare first half

They'll be lucky not to ship 40+ points vs Ireland and Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

It's a shame the red card was missed. Owens can add it to the list of calls he hasn't made in the recent past. Questions again of how a TMO doesn't bring it to his attention. I suspect it being against the home side and the opening match might have played a part.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭alswearengen

Moved from the telly to the office and tried to put on the post match on RTE Player. Sweet Jesus theres no point to it whatsoever. The only thing that ever works on it is the ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Moved from the telly to the office and tried to put on the post match on RTE Player. Sweet Jesus theres no point to it whatsoever. The only thing that ever works on it is the ads.
    It was really annoying. I was able to get about 5 mins before it froze or went black on me. Then it was slow connecting again. Really poor. Hopefully it's not going to be like that for the whole world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,746 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It was really annoying. I was able to get about 5 mins before it froze or went black on me. Then it was slow connecting again. Really poor. Hopefully it's not going to be like that for the whole world cup.

It must be your broadband...perfect throughout here and generally always is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Your having a laugh

It’s always a disaster if more than 2 people are ok it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭alswearengen

360Mb. So you're saying I need to upgrade to 500Mb? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I find it rubbish and I'm in Limerick City with 250MB fibre. Constantly hanging if it ever loads. No issues at all with Sky Go.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Same here, turned on Virgin app and watched it perfectly, player is a mare.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Your having a laugh

It’s always a disaster if more than 2 people are ok it
    360Mb. So you're saying I need to upgrade to 500Mb? :pac:
    I find it rubbish and I'm in Limerick City with 250MB fibre. Constantly hanging if it ever loads. No issues at all with Sky Go.

Well it is fine with me in Monaghan...two others here using the broadband router too...so there you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

RTE player was more or less fine for me for the first half too. It froze for about 5 seconds at one point, that was the worst of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Well it is fine with me in Monaghan...two others here using the broadband router too...so there you go.

You the Ulster division of RTÉ

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    You the Ulster division of RTÉ

Just trying to help actually. It could be a myriad of issues if the player works fine for others.

But never mind. Some people prefer to rant. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It's a shame the red card was missed. Owens can add it to the list of calls he hasn't made in the recent past. Questions again of how a TMO doesn't bring it to his attention. I suspect it being against the home side and the opening match might have played a part.

Missed that, what happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Bit of an anti climax really. Getting psyched up for the tournament, opening game ... on a Friday morning. What do we do with the rest of the day?

(please don't suggest actual work)

I suppose it's how it always is with games that side of the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

This has been the longest afternoon in a looooooong time, cant believe it isnt even 3 pm yest

Boscoirl wrote: »
    This has been the longest afternoon in a looooooong time, cant believe it isnt even 3 pm yest

I'm getting tired again after my last nap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

There was a similar (but not as bad) from a Russian in the first half that was missed too.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

nah... ran into him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Its on ITV also

I know that obviously but would like alternative to ITV presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it arrogance...... id call it opening day nerves

It's their indefference to making mistakes is what I was alluding too, not the actual mistakes

If we're calling that a red, you can guarantee a big team's tournament will be ruined by a big call.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    It's their indefference to making mistakes is what I was alluding too, not the actual mistakes

indifference to making mistakes is absolutely not something you ascribe to the japenese psyche. They do their hansei afterwards though..... no point in doing it on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Boscoirl wrote: »

I'm really weighing up if setting the alarm for 8am tomorrow is worth it for the France Argentina game. Could always record it and turn off my phone so there's no spoilers, but it's never the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I'm really weighing up if setting the alarm for 8am tomorrow is worth it for the France Argentina game. Could always record it and turn off my phone so there's no spoilers, but it's never the same.

And if you watch the NZ v SA match live, you will probably hear the result before you get to watching the recording of the Argentina v France match

Here's a question.

Do the pools have "grand slam" points to play for like the 6N, to stop a team with one loss being ahead of a team with none?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Lol...i'll be getting up...or staying up to 345 am for the scotland match! 8am is sweet! Few sausages and a cup of tea at half time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Here's a question.

Do the pools have "grand slam" points to play for like the 6N, to stop a team with one loss being ahead of a team with none?

If my maths are right, a team picking up max BPs with 1 loss would be on 16, same as a team that wins all games without a BP, head to head would sort that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I am going to bed in a few min to get up for the Oz game :)

Poorside wrote: »
    If my maths are right, a team picking up max BPs with 1 loss would be on 16, same as a team that wins all games without a BP, head to head would sort that.

Unless they get three wins (with TBPs) = 15 points.
    In the losing game they get a TBP and also a LBP = 2 points.
    Leaving them on 17.

The team with four wins but no BPs would be on 16.

I've been awake a lot late this week though so it's entirely possible I've done some stupid maths.

Couldn't find anything on the tournament rules page.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

nah... ran into him

Turns into him, doesn't wrap and I believe he catches him in the chin with a swinging elbow. I appreciate that's not clear on the angle provided but the reverse angle showed it. In any case, at absolute minimum he's turned, not wrapped and made contact to his head with the shoulder.

It was a red.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Leaving them on 17.

I've been awake a lot late this week though so it's entirely possible I've done some stupid maths.

I’d imagine whoever has the most points tops the group in that case.

The team that won all games would automatically go through anyway as the third placed team couldn’t mathematically get more than 14 as they would have lost two matches to set up that scenario.

Another interesting scenario would be a three-way tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Well in fairness Jamie Heaslip is almost universally despised

Perhaps in the lonely universe that you inhabit...not in the world the rest of us live in. Au revoir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Anyone managed to change their Sky Viewing card number with Eir sport lately?

I get an Oops something went wrong on the website.

• Advertisement

Leaving them on 17.

Yeah that scenario was what was on my mind.

I guess as its not the end of the championship, it might make sense that the team with one loss tops the group....

Seems a bit strange though that they wouldn't have a contingency though.

I mean it's incredibly unlikely, given the nature of the winning team needing to win by kicking between 7-10 penalties and still concede 4 tries in their last game, as well as not even getting a single BP in their previous games (given there's always a minnow in a group). Still, like you say - a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Yeah that scenario was what was on my mind.

I guess as its not the end of the championship, it might make sense that the team with one loss tops the group....

Seems a bit strange though that they wouldn't have a contingency though.

Forgot about that happening, that would be a hell of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I mean it's incredibly unlikely, given the nature of the winning team needing to win by kicking between 7-10 penalties and still concede 4 tries in their last game, as well as not even getting a single BP in their previous games (given there's always a minnow in a group). Still, like you say - a bit strange.

Could score 3 tries and a few kicks which would beat just 4 tries.

I think the minnow in the group is the clincher that it should never happen.

Could score 3 tries and a few kicks which would beat just 4 tries.

I think the minnow in the group is the clincher that it should never happen.

Duh. See, too many late nights. For some reason I never considered any in between on tries scored. Zero or nothing in my head.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Japan weren't a million miles away from this last time round. SA picked up 2 bonus points from their loss and Japan somehow managed to get none in the whole pool. SA ended on 16 and Japan on 12 - had they managed to eek a win out against Scotland they would have been on equal points (SA just missed a BP against the Scots).

Still, it would only affect who qualified top of the group rather than who qualified full stop.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Japan weren't a million miles away from this last time round. SA picked up 2 bonus points from their loss and Japan somehow managed to get none in the whole pool. SA ended on 16 and Japan on 12 - had they managed to eek a win out against Scotland they would have been on equal points (SA just missed a BP against the Scots).

Still, it would only affect who qualified top of the group rather than who qualified full stop.

Yeah, we're only talking about the 'grand slam' scenario here. South Africa topped the group, but still lost a game, so it's not quite the same as you said.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yeah, we're only talking about the 'grand slam' scenario here. South Africa topped the group, but still lost a game, so it's not quite the same as you said.

Yeah, but if Japan had beaten Scotland without scoring 4 tries we would have been there. It wasn't that far off.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Yeah, but if Japan had beaten Scotland without scoring 4 tries we would have been there. It wasn't that far off.

Ah I get you. I misunderstood the thrust of your previous post.

It'd be 16-16 apiece, and the head to head record covers that. If they'd beaten Scotland (no BP) and SA had gotten the BP against Scotland, then yeah. Closer than I'd have thought to it alright.

Notwithstanding that Japan beating SA is the single biggest upset in Rugby international history!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Is South Africa v New Zealand on any terrestrial TV station tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Is South Africa v New Zealand on any terrestrial TV station tomorrow?

Only on Eir Sport or ITV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mjp

Only on Eir Sport or ITV

Ah for flip sake. I'm just after realising the same. Checking my sky TV guide and not on any of the channels and dodgy box is on the blink. Can you even get eir package with sky. Can't see it listed on their website. How could this be such a mess. Know you used be able get itv on sky in past by tuning it in but not at moment aoparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

mjp wrote: »
    Ah for flip sake. I'm just after realising the same. Checking my sky TV guide and not on any of the channels and dodgy box is on the blink. Can you even get eir package with sky. Can't see it listed on their website. How could this be such a mess. Know you used be able get itv on sky in past by tuning it in but not at moment aoparently.

Try this for ITV on Sky, only problem is you can't record.

I think to get Eir Sports on sky you have to have broadband with Eir.

mjp wrote: »

My dodgy box also went down yesterday (quality timing), they're working on it apparently... However, if you're savvy enough to have that, you'll know where to get the game online (if not, contact me). Won't work on TV, but PC or laptop, you're sorted.

My dodgy box also went down yesterday (quality timing), they're working on it apparently... However, if you're savvy enough to have that, you'll know where to get the game online (if not, contact me). Won't work on TV, but PC or laptop, you're sorted.

AFAIK virtually all IPTV sources have been killed a few days ago, don't know how long it will be before they're up and running.

Failing everything else, I'm planning on watching using ITV Hub with a UK VPN.

• Advertisement
Advertisement