Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Comments

Looks like a try given to avoid having to give red 11 a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TT

Klonker wrote: »
    England very lucky to get that try I think, just because ball is on the ground 5 seconds later doesn't mean it's was grounded.

Yeah, I don't see why the ref continues to look for the ball being grounded after he's blown the whistle.

He blows the whistle, the play is over is it not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

England very lucky to get that try I think, just because ball is on the ground 5 seconds later doesn't mean it's was grounded.

Looked like the sort of try that the team expected to win, gets. Unconvincing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Underhill is really good. Hate that England have found a good back row after a few years of mediocre but hard working options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

England will win handy now.

If six fifteen stone blokes are all in a heap on top of the ball, it ain’t going anywhere quickly.

Refs have been using that technique to determine a try since the game was first played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Dunno how the Tongan could have tackled any lower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Cant be penalising for that imo. Watson is waist high.

Edit. Good call by the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭A-Train

Great reffing right there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Movementarian

Dont even know why that was even brought up by the TMO

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

England aren't exactly adventurous in the backs..... It's power play all the time

Reece hodge cited.

Good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

English translation of the Sipi Tau:

Get ready to the battle!
    Tonga!
    I shall speak to the whole world
    The Sea Eagles are famished unfurl.
    Let the foreigner and sojourner beware
    Today, destroyer of souls, I am everywhere
    To the halfback and backs
    Gone has my humanness.
    Hey! hey!
    Ay!
    Aye!
    Aye!
    Maul and loose forwards shall I mow
    And crunch any fierce hearts you know
    Crunch!
    Yeah!
    Crunch!
    Yeah!
    That's how Tonga dies to her motto
    God and Tonga are my inheritance.
    Aye, ay!
    Tonga!

Beats "Irelands Call" any day :pac:

Ireland’s call is a joke of an anthem.

Ireland’s call is a joke of an anthem.

Irelands Call is better than Amhrán na BhFiann. Fight me

Nasi manu ya legend!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

This is a very poor performance by England. Silly penalties. Poor leadership. More like the team that drew with Scotland as opposed to the front runners against us. Hopefully a wake up call for the fans and media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

conor678 wrote: »
    This is a very poor performance by England. Silly penalties. Poor leadership. More like the team that drew with Scotland as opposed to the front runners against us. Hopefully a wake up call for the fans and media
    It's hard to see what they are doing with it. They seem to be treating it as a gentle training match with an eye on the two big games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's hard to see what they are doing with it. They seem to be treating it as a gentle training match with an eye on the two big games.

No bonus point for them yet. They will want to put that right soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

I agree. For all this talk of them being favourites I just can't see any sense in it. This is the same team who drew at home with Scotland and regularly **** the bed with poor leadership and penalty decisions. Dan Coles is thier sub tight head and they're a few injuries to big Billy or Ben young from really suffering.

England going into the last ten minutes with no TBP.....

Could be significant if they don't get it

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    England going into the last ten minutes with no TBP.....

Could be significant if they don't get it

This is mind numbingly boring.

conor678 wrote: »
    I agree. For all this talk of them being favourites I just can't see any sense in it. This is the same team who drew at home with Scotland and regularly **** the bed with poor leadership and penalty decisions. Dan Coles is thier sub tight head and they're a few injuries to big Billy or Ben young from really suffering.
    Apart from the English press most people would say they are just one of the favourites. Not based on this and they have been pretty poor. It has the look of a weak team making a far superior team look awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

You can't really play the power game against Tonga.

This is mind numbingly boring.

Agreed.

Fair dues to Tonga though... They aren't the disorganised rabble that the pre game talk would have you believe.

Very flattering score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Worst game of the tournament so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

4 day turn around for Russia against Samoa is going to be tough. They struggled after 30min against Japan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Borefest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

That was one of the most crooked lineouts I have ever seen lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I think based on Tonga,Samoa could give us our toughest outing in the group stages if they are as well organized.

• Advertisement

Jesus ITV have really jumped the shark with this studio nonsense

Remaining fixtures pretty unfavourable to Scotland.

As much as the extra recovery will help, they've a long wait now until their next game (Monday week) to stew over today's performance. The sooner they face Samoa the better just to get some momentum and change the narrative.

They have another long break and then Russia on a Wednesday with Japan the following Sunday.

I'd fear that Scotland could have a tournament like we suffered in 2007. Confidence is going to be shot after today, there will be real doubt in that camp. Townsend under a type of pressure and scrutiny now that he hasn't experienced yet.

Presuming Japan accounts for Samoa then that final pool game is going to be huge. I still think Scotland should have enough but there will be loads of doubt now.

The other big fixture that final weekend is England v France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It would be nice if Italy beat South Africa

Atm it's looking like we will be QF4 on sun 20th Oct at 11.15am. They might open the pubs earlier ha

PTH2009 wrote: »
    It would be nice if Italy beat South Africa

Atm it's looking like we will be QF4 on sun 20th Oct at 11.15am. They might open the pubs earlier ha

It would also be nice if Namibia were to beat the All Blacks. Neither of these outcomes have a snowball`s chance in hell of happening.

Remaining fixtures pretty unfavourable to Scotland.

As much as the extra recovery will help, they've a long wait now until their next game (Monday week) to stew over today's performance. The sooner they face Samoa the better just to get some momentum and change the narrative.

They have another long break and then Russia on a Wednesday with Japan the following Sunday.

I'd fear that Scotland could have a tournament like we suffered in 2007. Confidence is going to be shot after today, there will be real doubt in that camp. Townsend under a type of pressure and scrutiny now that he hasn't experienced yet.

Presuming Japan accounts for Samoa then that final pool game is going to be huge. I still think Scotland should have enough but there will be loads of doubt now.

The other big fixture that final weekend is England v France.

If the next few results in the pool go as expected and Japan need to win to reach the quarter finals, then I think the Scots will be packing their bags for the flight home after the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Nothing about Japan’s performance on Friday convinced me they have enough to beat Scotland

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Nothing about Japan’s performance on Friday convinced me they have enough to beat Scotland

No I don't think so either. They absolutely shat the bed the first 20 minutes and Russia's total lack of fitness was as much the catalyst for their early points as anything they were doing ball in hand.

They'll be more focused and settled by the time Scotland arrive and it will definitely be their target fixture.

Scotland won't need to be at their best to win, but they probably won't be and their away record can't be ignored.

I dunno. I'd bet on Scotland but I doubt there will be much in the spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

No I don't think so either. They absolutely shat the bed the first 20 minutes and Russia's total lack of fitness was as much the catalyst for their early points as anything they were doing ball in hand.

They'll be more focused and settled by the time Scotland arrive and it will definitely be their target fixture.

Scotland won't need to be at their best to win, but they probably won't be and their away record can't be ignored.

I dunno. I'd bet on Scotland but I doubt there will be much in the spread.

I suppose the danger for Scotland is that Japan could pull one big performance out of the fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Japan won't be as nervous the next day.

What they lack is regular games and they should improve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Bridge93 wrote: »

They were under immense pressure though, can't underestimate how that affected them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

They were under immense pressure though, can't underestimate how that affected them.

Scotland rely too much on Flaky Finn and Hogg to produce magic. Watching the game back, Ireland just targeted them two and gave them nothing at all. Meant the rest of the Scottish backs had nothing to feed off.

Samoa or Japan could beat Scotland. Think they will at the very least cause them major problems if they can do what Ireland did.

Watching the game again... Not game related observation but covering the running track in green was a genius move. Prevents that visible break between the field and the crowd that you get with venues with such tracks. Running tracks tend to draw your eyes away from the action somewhat..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Argentina coach has called a press conference tomorrow which wasn't previously planned.

https://twitter.com/Argentina_2027/status/1175857065174228992?s=19

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Argentina coach has called a press conference tomorrow which wasn't previously planned.

https://twitter.com/Argentina_2027/status/1175857065174228992?s=19

He had a highlights reel all of his own from that opening game. This is probably just slightly more dramatic mind games but if they've a specific grievance things could get interesting.

Probably gonna make some public complaint about officials...

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Probably gonna make some public complaint about officials...

He pretty much did it after the match anyway, which was incredibly salty. If that is what he plans on doing, it will be an utterly pointless endeavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Skyfloater

Squidge Rugby has a video up on how Japan won. His line about how fullbacks are thought from Colby inches high to run onto a high kick is priceless.
    Interesting that he picked up on their trick of momentarily releasing the ball in a tackle, then immediately picking it up, will have to be countered by Joe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZnN_W7NDPY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Skyfloater wrote: »
    Squidge Rugby has a video up on how Japan won. His line about how fullbacks are thought from Colby inches high to run onto a high kick is priceless.
    Interesting that he picked up on their trick of momentarily releasing the ball in a tackle, then immediately picking it up, will have to be countered by Joe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZnN_W7NDPY

Leinster lads will be very familiar with that one, James Lowe does it a couple of times every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Rugby_World_Cup_qualifying

Jesus never knew some of those nations played rugby. I imagine Munster Juinor league standard for some of the first games. Surely a huge % of nations are amueter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Sorry if it’s been answered already but why only one match on a day during the week ..surely they could do two or 3 a day ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement