Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

harr wrote: »
    Sorry if it’s been answered already but why only one match on a day during the week ..surely they could do two or 3 a day ?

Turn around times would be too short, some teams already getting shafted with the current timetable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Sorry if it’s been answered already but why only one match on a day during the week ..surely they could do two or 3 a day ?

It's pretty much the nature of 5 team pools and the need for sufficient rest between games. Bear in mind also there are only 40 pool matches total and they want more of them at the weekends for TV audiences if nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Leinster lads will be very familiar with that one, James Lowe does it a couple of times every game.
    Chris Cloete for Munster too. It's not something you can do in every tackle situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

There will be 2 matches taking place this Thursday, the same on Wednesday and Thursday of next week, with 3 matches on the Wednesday of the following week. There will be a few midweek days during the pool stage with no matches at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/23/cheika-slates-fiji-over-reece-hodge-referral

Cheika is some plonker.
    That "tackle" deserves, at least, a citing review. He's spitting fire because he knows that Hodge (and Aus) got away with that and there is a likely sanction coming, and cost Fiji their most effective player in the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Some start for Wales. Shocking conversion from Bigger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Georgia havent done a single thing right yet. Not one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Wales finding no resistance here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

and people want this shower in the 6N instead of Italy

Bridge93 wrote: »

They have been arguably better than Italy for quite some time, up to recently, but no tier 2 team will be able to maintain that when denied real playing opportunities.

Romania is a good example of this and Georgia are heading the same way.

Italy also are starting to see the benefits of the Pro 14, with good local teams FINALLY emerging and O'Shea's work coming through.
    Georgia's players are not playing together at home either.

This is painful, for Georgia. World Rugby has a lot to answer for by not making tier 1 teams make real tours to top tier 2 teams on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Bridge93 wrote: »
    They have been best of the rest and have been horrid here but theyve been winning all round in tier 2 rugby(though we need to stop using that terminology....) and have got very few opportunities to play the six nations or rugby championship sides outside of the world cup.

Wales sin bin??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

He's a lucky boy. Knock on in relation to his momentum and could have been yellow.

Should actually be a penalty to Wales now so, for holding on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Does Gareth Davies look absolutely knackered?

That is NOT supporting your own weight

They have been arguably better than Italy for quite some time, up to recently, but no tier 2 team will be able to maintain that when denied real playing opportunities.

Based on what?

They absolutely deserve more test matches against tier 1 teams but there is no real reason to think they have been better than Italy at any point in the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Based on what?

They absolutely deserve more test matches against tier 1 teams but there is no real reason to think they have been better than Italy at any point in the last decade.

The fact it's even a discussion considering the structures, access and regular gametime against T1 advantages that Italy have is incredible.
    World Rugby keeps them apart for that reason, they've only played 2 games against each other in the professional era and neither of them in Georgia.

Come back is on! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

World Rugby has a lot to answer for by not making tier 1 teams make real tours to top tier 2 teams on a regular basis.

I don't really get this reasoning. To have a good international team, you need the players. The players come from clubs.

Would the money they make from getting absolutely tonked in a friendly be enough to finance rugby?

There's a girl screaming throughout this match

Downlinz wrote: »
    The fact it's even a discussion considering the structures, access and regular gametime against T1 advantages that Italy have is incredible.
    World Rugby keeps them apart for that reason, they've only played 2 games against each other in the professional era and neither of them in Georgia.

It's not a discussion as far as I'm concerned. There is no reason to believe they have been better than Italy over the past decade and they are not as good, relatively speaking, as Italy were before they joined the 6N.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

Not seeing much of this game but saw Georgia got a yellow for taking down a maul close to their line when it looked like Wales were going to go over for a try, maybe should have given a pen try as well?

Was there a similar decision at the other end but Georgia only got a penalty? maybe they didn't look as likely to score?

testtech05 wrote: »
    Not seeing much of this game but saw Georgia got a yellow for taking down a maul close to their line when it looked like Wales were going to go over for a try, maybe should have given a pen try as well?

Was there a similar decision at the other end but Georgia only got a penalty? maybe they didn't look as likely to score?

Ref commented on that - there were still a lot of Georgian defenders behind the ball in the maul so he thought a penalty try was too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

Ref commented on that - there were still a lot of Georgian defenders behind the ball in the maul so he thought a penalty try was too much.

Cheers Podge, the bit I have got to see has no sound so missed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

There's a girl screaming throughout this match

I blame men

I don't really get this reasoning. To have a good international team, you need the players. The players come from clubs.

Would the money they make from getting absolutely tonked in a friendly be enough to finance rugby?

You learn more playing better teams.
    You get more exposure, into the youth set ups, from having the "Stars" arriving.
    You get gate receipts.
    You potentially get TV coverage in home country, generating more interest.

It's not a discussion as far as I'm concerned. There is no reason to believe they have been better than Italy over the past decade and they are not as good, relatively speaking, as Italy were before they joined the 6N.

We can only go on the rankings, as Georgia have no other avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Georgian winger clatters into North beyond the high ball .... TMO must be having a nap .....

We can only go on the rankings, as Georgia have no other avenue.

The rankings are essentially irrelevant as Italy play much, much higher ranked teams and lose far more often because of it. Italy have had a poor couple of years for sure, but they still beat SA in that period. Georgia weren't particularly close in their match last Nov either.

I agree they should get more tier 1 test matches but we need to be realistic about where they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Based on what?

They do and that can be done as part of the tours schedule set out by world rugby.
    Downlinz wrote: »
    They do as top unions run world rugby and italy can lean on that to stop them playing more.

Yes. They need games and home tests as well as travelling here.

The Welsh don't really deserve to be so far in front. Very slack in large portions of the game against a poor side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Another 3 trys in this Georgian side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

The Welsh don't really deserve to be so far in front. Very slack in large portions of the game against a poor side.

Always the case .... they never deserve anything ...... to be frank Georgia look no worse than Scotland.....

Always the case .... they never deserve anything ...... to be frank Georgia look no worse than Scotland.....

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

:confused::confused:
    I think the suggestion is that they are often jammy. Georgia were decent enough in the second half and gave a good account of themselves. They have a great scrum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭randomname2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

2ixrJW6_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Marquee games this week

Ireland vs Japan (big for us and japan not so much for others I suppose)

Wales vs Australia in Pool D on Sunday 29th Sep. Basically deciding who goes top in that pool

Other games
    Tues 24th Sep- Russia vs Samoa (Pool A, 11.15am)

Weds 25th Sep- Fiji vs Uruguay (Pool D, 6.15am)

Thurs 26th Sep- Italy vs Canada (Pool B, 8.15am), England vs USA (Pool C, 11.45am)

Sat 28th Sep- Argentina vs Tonga (Pool C, 5.45am), South Africa vs Namiba (Pool B, 10.45am)

Sun 29th Sep- Georgia vs Uruguay (Pool D, 6.15am)

Mon 30th Sep- Scotland vs Samoa (Pool A,11.15am)

2ixrJW6_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
    The only human is the out half? Not sure about that. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Just seen on Twitter that Ali Price is out for Scotland. Another big injury blow for them.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1176355851906338817

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

ongarite wrote: »
    Just seen on Twitter that Ali Price is out for Scotland. Another big injury blow for them.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1176355851906338817

Samoa/Japan could well beat Scotland. Scotland looked so far off the Pace on Saturday for a team who should have been primed. Losing some of their best players already and a game with Samoa on the horizon. Get after Hogg and Flaky Finn in a disciplined way and Scotland have no answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Samoa/Japan could well beat Scotland. Scotland looked so far off the Pace on Saturday for a team who should have been primed. Losing some of their best players already and a game with Samoa on the horizon. Get after Hogg and Flaky Finn in a disciplined way and Scotland have no answers

I've a feeling that we were just that good on Saturday that Scotland had no chance. I expect them to win the rest of their games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

techdiver wrote: »
    I've a feeling that we were just that good on Saturday that Scotland had no chance. I expect them to win the rest of their games.

Yeah I think it's a bit the Ireland England game in 6N. Wouldn't be hugely surprised if Japan cause an upset but wouldn't write off Scotland just yet

techdiver wrote: »

Nah Nah brah

We beat them so they must be sh1t. That's the Irish supporters motto

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    But not every team can be so disciplined and accurate in cutting off their outside backs and sweeping to cut off the dink through. And have a good enough pack to nullify their set-piece. Scotland aren't a bad team, they just had all their strengths neutered. And the weather played its part too. I wouldn't write them off yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

prawnsambo wrote: »
    But not every team can be so disciplined and accurate in cutting off their outside backs and sweeping to cut off the dink through. And have a good enough pack to nullify their set-piece. Scotland aren't a bad team, they just had all their strengths neutered. And the weather played its part too. I wouldn't write them off yet.

I wonder are people underestimating Samoa. They have a great rugby tradition and would be on a similar level to Fiji who gave Australia plenty of it. I would of the remaining group games fear them far more than japan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I wonder are people underestimating Samoa. They have a great rugby tradition and would be on a similar level to Fiji who gave Australia plenty of it. I would if the remaining games fear them far more than japan.

None of those teams just making up the numbers are to be feared by Ireland. We have moved beyond those days, and are a league above them that, despite the polite words from Joe and Bestie, are just not a factor for us anymore. It's all about SA for us at this stage. The rest is just TV filler. They are fixtures, but not truly 'matches'.

Advertisement