Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I wonder are people underestimating Samoa. They have a great rugby tradition and would be on a similar level to Fiji who gave Australia plenty of it. I would if the remaining games fear them far more than japan.

Not been following them closely but they don't really appear to be anywhere near Fiji's level at the moment. They lost to the US and Fiji in the Pacific Nations Cup anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Not been following them closely but they don't really appear to be anywhere near Fiji's level at the moment. They lost to the US and Fiji in the Pacific Nations Cup anyway.

I watched them against Australia recently and they were competitive enough and will have improved further by the time we play them. They lost to fiji 10-3 in fiji which shows they are defensively solid. Yeah we should beat them with a bit to spare but Scotland could struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So Eddie Jones has selected Billy V to start yet again. He has now started all 4 warm up games and the first 2 pool games. With the toughest 2 games still to come in their pool I dont see him being rested at all this RWC. He could be expected to play as many as 11 tests in a row now should England make it to the last weekend and he remain fit. Player welfare my @rse. That just seems ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

molloyjh wrote: »
    So Eddie Jones has selected Billy V to start yet again. He has now started all 4 warm up games and the first 2 pool games. With the toughest 2 games still to come in their pool I dont see him being rested at all this RWC. He could be expected to play as many as 11 tests in a row now should England make it to the last weekend and he remain fit. Player welfare my @rse. That just seems ridiculous.

English Rugby and flogging players. Name a more iconic duo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

There was a documentary about Samoa I watched recently, might have been Squidge did it.
    Basically, the president of Samoa made himself the head of the Samoan Rugby Union and the money allocated to the team, a few million, has disappeared, no accountability, and World Rugby can’t give them more money now.
    The players had to do a fundraiser to pay for their travel costs.
    Some of the players turned down contracts to remain available for the RWC, some clubs offered them contracts only on the basis they would not play in the RWC.
    They have only been training together for a couple of months and have a new coach in the last year basically getting them all together for the first time.
    They have unbelievable spirit and pride for their people, some of whom donated all the money they had to the team’s fundraiser and could only afford to eat bread for a week afterwards.
    That’s some motivation for the players to represent them eh!!

Edit: link to Squidge's youtube video on Samoan rugby
    So what went on with Samoan Rugby?: The Musical | Squidge Rugby ft. Tom Rosenthal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Nah Nah brah

We beat them so they must be sh1t. That's the Irish supporters motto

Nope we beat them because we nullified their two threats completely. And they can be got at with simple, well executed discipline in defence like Ireland demonstrated on Sunday. And now they are losing players through injury.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Nope we beat them because we nullified their two threats completely. And they can be got at with simple, well executed discipline in defence like Ireland demonstrated on Sunday. And now they are losing players through injury.

sarcasm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Some of the players turned down contracts to remain available for the RWC, some clubs offered them contracts only on the basis they would not play in the RWC.

They should have just taken the contracts and then gone to the RWC anyway. Pretty sure the clubs would have no recourse. Though it would have made things a bit unpleasant I'm sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Does anyone else have a problem making the eirsport app stay in landscape. When I load a stream it starts in full screen landscape, then a few seconds later rotates to not fullscreen

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

that was some scrum by the russians !

• Advertisement

Gorgeous from TNW

another crooked line out straight down the attacking line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Some tough cookie to take that hit to the face and just get up and go again.

Man, I'd be PISSED if someone get away with that against my team.

Lucky to just get yellow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

molloyjh wrote: »

Surprised their doctor hasn’t quit in protest ...

Samoa haunted it wasn’t a red.

artimev dropping slightly saved him from a red there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Can't hear the ref or commentary, how's that not a red?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭alswearengen

Has to be red this time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

razorblunt wrote: »
    Surprised their doctor hasn’t quit in protest ...

Samoa haunted it wasn’t a red.

I was expecting the ref's to be really hot on this type of tackle at the world cup, seems they have gone the opposite way so far, think a few of them seem reluctant to "ruin" games by giving red cards but that really shouldn't come into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Could be another here.

[edit] Should be a red here. We'll see if he's got the balls to give it.

That’s the danger of playing Samoa last, a lot of their players are head hunting for big hits, they have no respect for where they will connect they just fly in.

Samoan hooked knocked himself out with this one.

another yellow??

AdamD wrote: »
    Can't hear the ref or commentary, how's that not a red?

Both times the TMO advocated the Russian dipped into the tackle.

Another one. Christ. I thought he was a tough nut after the first one, but that is nuts. How can he not be off for hia too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Samoans could wreck our world cup. Has to be reds given for some of these tackles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Bottled that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭alswearengen

That’s the danger of playing Samoa last, a lot of their players are head hunting for big hits, they have no respect for where they will connect they just fly in.

Samoan hooked knocked himself out with this one.

Just send out the reserves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

First one should have been red. Might have prevented the 2nd one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

what is Artemyev made of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Won't need to worry about Samoa by the time we play them; they won't have anyone left available to play

🤪

chupacabra wrote: »
    what is Artemyev made of?

He should absolutely be off the field. I can't believe he has been allowed continue.

Both times the TMO advocated the Russian dipped into the tackle.

Deary me

being completely cold and impartial... those were two correct decisions.

Artimev dropped into both collisions...but both easily could have been reds had he stayed a couple of inches higher

errlloyd wrote: »
    He should absolutely be off the field. I can't believe he has been allowed continue.

He looked fine after both. The samoans were very reluctant to HIA their hooker.

• Advertisement

He looked fine after both. The samoans were very reluctant to HIA their hooker.

He looks fine alright, but that's a two huge shoulders to the head maybe 5 minutes apart.

Should be a Russian peno for playing on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

errlloyd wrote: »
    Should be a Russian peno for playing on the ground.

That's assuming there was a half competent referee, and not Poite :p

sense seems to be working... samoan hooker not going back on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Close!

• Advertisement

Why did he dive so early. :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    being completely cold and impartial... those were two correct decisions.

Artimev dropped into both collisions...but both easily could have been reds had he stayed a couple of inches higher

That seems to be his running style though - he is always a bit "hunched" in possession.

So if a slight dip in position is sufficient mitigation, no high tackle on Artimyev will ever be a red card.

Both should have been reds for me.

Up and under some for 40 mins if I were a Russian in the second half.

That seems to be his running style though - he is always a bit "hunched" in possession.

So if a slight dip in position is sufficient mitigation, no high tackle on Artimyev will ever be a red card.

Both should have been reds for me.

incorrect, because if you pause the shot on both impacts, his knees are 90 degrees to the ground... so hes hunching into the impact and not running straight.

if we didnt have the "dipping" mitigation factor. then all all carriers would run head first dipped into contact... and every tackle would be a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Samoa will lucky to finish this game will all players on the field... nice upper cut that.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

This is a hard watch, pretty poor stuff from both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

sydthebeat wrote: »
    incorrect, because if you pause the shot on both impacts, his knees are 90 degrees to the ground... so hes hunching into the impact and not running straight.

if we didnt have the "dipping" mitigation factor. then all all carriers would run head first dipped into contact... and every tackle would be a red.

Strongly disagree with you here. They are about as clear cut a red card as you will see.

Of course dipping should be a mitigating factor but Samoan player was head hunting there. It’s a ridiculous tackle.

That's a yellow, but the other two were reds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Irish team really going to have to careful with both these teams ... potential for some injuries.

Strongly disagree with you here. They are about as clear cut a red card as you will see.

Of course dipping should be a mitigating factor but Samoan player was head hunting there. It’s a ridiculous tackle.

well we'll see if theres a citing from them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement