Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Comments

molloyjh wrote: »
    Remember what happened in the 2011 6Ns? A 1 score game in MS after a ridiculously illegal try was allowed stand against an out of form Irish side with the second best 10 starting.

Ireland were a different beast that year with Reddan and Sexton at 9 & 10. We comfortably beat England and Australia (despite the tight scoreline we never really looked like losing that one). It really isn't that big a leap to think we'd have been a lot better in the QF had we not utterly ballsed up our selection.

Do I think it's the one that got away? Not really, but by the same token do I think it's the one that got away from Wales? Not really either. Talk of NZ s***ing the bed in the final is all well and good, but they did that against a team that had their number in previous RWCs. Would they have been as bad against a side that hadn't beaten them since the 50s? I highly doubt that. They certainly wouldnt have been the same against a team that had never beaten them either.

The pressure on NZ in the final was the expectation and it being their home World Cup. I'm not sure how much the opposition mattered and I doubt NZ were quaking at a team who lost to Tonga and scraped by 14 man Wales on the way to the final.

I definitely think it's the one that got away. We had a cleaner run to the final in 2015 but we had a savage team in 2011 and weak coaching let us down.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

campangearo is such a clever player... he always seems a step ahead of everyone else on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

molloyjh wrote: »
    Remember what happened in the 2011 6Ns? A 1 score game in MS after a ridiculously illegal try was allowed stand against an out of form Irish side with the second best 10 starting.

Ireland were a different beast that year with Reddan and Sexton at 9 & 10. We comfortably beat England and Australia (despite the tight scoreline we never really looked like losing that one). It really isn't that big a leap to think we'd have been a lot better in the QF had we not utterly ballsed up our selection.

Do I think it's the one that got away? Not really, but by the same token do I think it's the one that got away from Wales? Not really either. Talk of NZ s***ing the bed in the final is all well and good, but they did that against a team that had their number in previous RWCs. Would they have been as bad against a side that hadn't beaten them since the 50s? I highly doubt that. They certainly wouldnt have been the same against a team that had never beaten them either.

Why are people going on about 2011 WC like it's the one that got away? Ireland were soundly beaten by the Welsh in the quarters who were the better team on the day by a big margin. I remember the game well and Ireland huffed and puffed but got no where. Jesus lads get over yourselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

What a pass from Polledri for that try.

Game over. Canada not at the races at all.

Negri deserved that... hes been a beast

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Negri deserved that... hes been a beast

The backrow have been class.
    Watching TSN here and their analyst called it before kick off saying the forwards particularly the backrow need to get on top but the Italians are comfortably winning that battle. Ardron has been on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Wailin wrote: »
    Why are people going on about 2011 WC like it's the one that got away? Ireland were soundly beaten by the Welsh in the quarters who were the better team on the day by a big margin. I remember the game well and Ireland huffed and puffed but got no where. Jesus lads get over yourselves!

Our WC performances have varied from dire to sort of acceptable. Not likely we could ever have won one but.......

Of all of them, 2011 is the one where we could have won it. Not likely, not probable but much less fanciful that the others......

Yes, we were well beaten by Wales on the day but different selection, different tactics and a win was not out of the question. Ah well, we can but dream.

This time it'll be different..... COYBIG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,128 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Pity the score isn't closer, this would be great entertainment otherwise.

razorblunt wrote: »
    The backrow have been class.
    Watching TSN here and their analyst called it before kick off saying the forwards particularly the backrow need to get on top but the Italians are comfortably winning that battle. Ardron has been on his own.

yeah the handling and skill levels of canada has been extremely poor

they are making italy look like NZ here

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Our WC performances have varied from dire to sort of acceptable. Not likely we could ever have won one but.......

Of all of them, 2011 is the one where we could have won it. Not likely, not probable but much less fanciful that the others......

Yes, we were well beaten by Wales on the day but different selection, different tactics and a win was not out of the question. Ah well, we can but dream.

This time it'll be different..... COYBIG

Hopefully you're right but I have my doubts. The Springboks (assuming that it will be them whom Ireland play in the quarter finals) will be seriously tough opposition.

heaton has had a day to forget.... numerous handling errors including dropping a simple run in... now gives away a pen try and is carded

polledri has to be MOTM here... hes been immense all over the park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

if you squint you can imagine this game is taking place in Thomond park

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

"polledri has to be MOTM here... hes been immense all over the park"

Himself and Russian 7 are my two favorite new players to discover.

* Sorry, old PC so can't quote :-(

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    "polledri has to be MOTM here... hes been immense all over the park"

Himself and Russian 7 are my two favorite new players to discover.

* Sorry, old PC so can't quote :-(

Polledri would be pretty well known in england.
    Hes english born and has 44 caps with Gloucester.
    Class player for a guy so young

• Advertisement

Nice to see Canada get some reward.

MOTM Polledri

Much deserved.

MOTM Polledri

Much deserved.

head and shoulders the best italian on the pitch

And Polledri makes a lung-busting break on 80 mins! :-)

Canadas tackle percentage has been 60%

thats as poor as ive ever seen

• Advertisement

just checked the attacking stats for polledri today (openside flanker):

16 runs
    106 meters made
    14 defenders beaten
    3 clean breaks
    4 offloads
    7 passes
    1 try assist

*beastmode*

^ Yeah, a fairly complete performance for a young 7.

He was everywhere. Breakdowns, back of mauls, great link-up play, and some great breaks!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

^ Yeah, a fairly complete performance for a young 7.

He was everywhere. Breakdowns, back of mauls, great link-up play, and some great breaks!

And more importantly, on my fantasy team

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Wailin wrote: »

I take it you read the part of the post that you quoted saying that it wasn't one that got away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Canadas tackle percentage has been 60%

thats as poor as ive ever seen

I’ve never seen that before I don’t think

Was that not an obvious shoulder to head ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

That’ll be a citing I think. Got away with it.

Surely the TMO has to have seen that. Other angles might exonerate but the image I saw was shoulder on jaw.

As great as this WC is, there continues to be a lot of baffling refereeing decisions

US player did him a favour by getting up. As cynical as it sounds, if he stayed down think Francis would have been in trouble.

• Advertisement

Like Moses parting the Red Sea! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

As soft a try as Ford will ever score there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

First try after five minutes, this is going to be ABSOLUTE CORNAGE!:P

Today a total damp squib, after yesterday. No chance of an upset in either game (Can't even call them matches)

FAO Reece Hodge, Cheika, and Australian rugby, that’s how your winger should tackle a big man

Not too impressed by England’s discipline. 4 penalties in 15mins. Not going to improve once they bring Itoje back in either :D

England's lineout is not the same without Itoje

Marler is such a cretin, was holding two yanks back into from joining their maul and then goes in and tries to wind up the hooker for no reason.

Woodward: ‘that was little bit high’ x 2

And 20 mins ago was saying it was a great hit by Francis. He also said that the Kiwi scrum half playing the ball on the ground was hard done by. He’d fit in nicely with Liam Toland watching a Munster Leinster game :D

• Advertisement

Forde tackled, not held and rightly tries to get up but is wrapped before he can and still forces his way off his knees.

Why was he not penalised for getting up with the ball, while held?

Nothing but an easy win for England here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

USA are very disappointing concerning the structured stuff you would expect more from them

kilns wrote: »
    USA are very disappointing concerning the structured stuff you would expect more from them

Tough first outing to get systems working.

In the same argument though, after their rather stuttering opener England are not doing anything amazing.
    Now they are going to hammer USA once the pressure starts to tell on the American legs but making very hard work of it right now

Edit: and they immediately rumble a maul over from stupid out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Pathetic maul defence from the USA

• Advertisement

The English maul is destroying them.

razorblunt wrote: »
    The English maul is destroying them.

The US not having a clue how to defend a maul is destroying them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

What is the point in these games? As a casual rugby fan, this is what annoys me about the sport. You get results like Senegal beating World Champions France in soccer world cup, but a minnow just can't possibly beat a big team(except for that total freak Japan SA result). There's just too much disparity.

Expect England to open up in the 2nd half. Still nothing overly impressive from them, they have a savagely dominant maul and are using it to good effect but nothing else so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We destroyed scotland but I want to see us scoring trys for fun against someone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement