Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Excellent offload and try there for Tonga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

There's a woman commentating about rugby on itv and she won't stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There's a woman commentating about rugby on itv and she won't stop.

Both of the commentators today are waffling. Saying a lot but not much of substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

razorblunt wrote: »
    Both of the commentators today are waffling. Saying a lot but not much of substance.

Jeez, with about 15 mins to go and Arg 28-7 up, the commentator was making out how crucial the next score was! What can you say,except waffle?

Much improved showing by Tonga in the second half but Argentina had mentally checked out of the game.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Didn’t get to see it, will Argentina worry England?

pc7 wrote: »
    Didn’t get to see it, will Argentina worry England?

Doubtful, their backline doesn’t seem to be able to do much and the English forwards should handle their counterparts. They have to throw caution to the wind so there’s that but I can’t see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Really makes you realise how invisible rugby is as a sport outside 10 countries or so when you're in the middle east trying to find a way to watch the Japan v Ireland game and have absolutely no way of finding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Not surprising but South Africa are absolutely murdering Namibia here. Ball is camped within the Namibia 22.

19-0 after 18 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Not surprising but South Africa are absolutely murdering Namibia here. Ball is camped within the Namibia 22.

19-0 after 18 minutes.
    Such a shame South Africa cant do more for rugby in Namibia, Kenya, Zimbabwe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Just for the record.

What an amazing result for rugby today. 127 million people will wake up to newspapers celebrating an amazing win. More rugby fans will be made today than any other day in history.

Can't be sad when so many will be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

errlloyd wrote: »
    Just for the record.

What an amazing result for rugby today. 127 million people will wake up to newspapers celebrating an amazing win. More rugby fans will be made today than any other day in history.

Can we be both sad and happy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Just for the record.

I'm starting to come around to this.

I'm bitterly, bitterly disappointed but this is amazing for Japan and world rugby. Japan have a better than 50/50 chance of earning their place in the knockouts. A terrific success given the risk world rugby took in selecting a tier 2 host.

It also has the potential to further boost support in Japan. If they keep this up they'll be knocking on the door of the rugby championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

troyzer wrote: »

I'm bitterly, bitterly disappointed but this is amazing for Japan and world rugby. Japan have a better than 50/50 chance of earning their place in the knockouts. A terrific success given the risk world rugby took in selecting a tier 2 host.

It also has the potential to further boost support in Japan. If they keep this up they'll be knocking on the door of the rugby championship.

You are running away with yourself.
    Japan have to do what we took a number of WC's to do (and it is debatable if we are even there yet) and build a squad in depth that can win consistently enough to proceed from groups with a chance of winning.

Even after today we still have our fate in our own hands and we still have a decent chance of proceeding past a QF.

One game doesn't make us a bad team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

I still expect Scotland to beat Japan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

troyzer wrote: »

You are running away with yourself.
    Japan have to do what we took a number of WC's to do (and it is debatable if we are even there yet) and build a squad in depth that can win consistently enough to proceed from groups with a chance of winning.

Even after today we still have our fate in our own hands and we still have a decent chance of proceeding past a QF.

One game doesn't make us a bad team.

I never said they'd get out of the group with a chance of winning.

Nor did I say one game makes us a bad team. However, this game plus the England game plus the six nations shows that we are seriously inconsistent at best. **** at worst.

SA pass the 50 point mark just before the hour.

Obliteration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Just for the record.

I had an idea Japan might easily take a scalp but I was thinking more along the lines of Scotland. You can never underestimate a home side in a big tournament, no matter what the sport (Russia made the quarter final of the World Cup in soccer last year with a very limited / average squad).

Strazdas wrote: »
    I had an idea Japan might easily take a scalp but I was thinking more along the lines of Scotland. You can never underestimate a home side in a big tournament, no matter what the sport (Russia made the quarter final of the World Cup in soccer last year with a very limited / average squad).

Korea in 2002 also. Home advantage is huge in big tournaments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

You know things have gotten bad when the lead commentator is talking about what's going on in the Japanese soccer league this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

You still have to be good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Didn't do a whole lot for England last time out!

Seadin wrote: »
    You still have to be good enough.

For sure, but the adrenaline rush can lift a home team way above their normal level.

We were perhaps a bit complacent in not realising just how much a boost Japan would get by playing at home. They probably would have played well against any top side today.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Are all the middle class people feeling sad today?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Didn't do a whole lot for England last time out!

It's arguably better for a lesser team to be the tournament host. The bigger ones might feel under considerably more pressure - Brazil in 2014 was an obvious example.

Are all the middle class people feeling sad today?

Yeah not feeling great.

Let us know how all the lower class are doing please when you get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Japan were playing to win one game we are plying to win a tournament. It makes a big difference to how much a team is wiling to sacrifice in terms of injury or card risk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Just for the record.

I thought that happened when Japan beat the Springboks in 2015 which, it could be argued, laid the groundwork for their results so far this time around.

Strazdas wrote: »

I said last night that maybe Japan wanted us to think they were targeting Scotland.

They came into today's game with an intensity that makes me think this was the game they were always targeting.

I don't think they'll reach that level again...but maybe they want to go one step beyond beating one scalp this time.

Far play to them anyhow, they got it spot on today.

I said last night that maybe Japan wanted us to think they were targeting Scotland.

They came into today's game with an intensity that makes me think this was the game they were always targeting.

I don't think they'll reach that level again...but maybe they want to go one step beyond beating one scalp this time.

Far play to them anyhow, they got it spot on today.

Yes, there was no way they got lucky today. It looks like they targeted the game for months and thought they might be able to spring an upset (perhaps they felt leaving everything until the Scotland game was too risky).

They're a good side. They would have troubled any of the big six today.

• Advertisement

So glad that I went to training, with my little lad, and didn't have to watch the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Japan might get into the rugby championship some day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

I see 2007 repeating itself for the Irish team in RWC. We could fail to qualify yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I see 2007 repeating itself for the Irish team in RWC. We could fail to qualify yet.

Would be extraordinarily unlikely and would likely need us to not get a TBP against either Russia or Samoa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Georgia vs Uruguay tomorrow should be a cracker of a game hopefully, followed by Australia vs Wales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Hopefully they do. Would be great as a 6 nations along with a Fiji or Samoa.
    Very unlikely though

20/1 on Paddy Power, fill your boots! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It's a near certainly we'll get 10/10 in our remaining two games, guaranteeing our passage to the knockouts.

In 2015 Japan became the first team to not make the knockouts having won 3/4. Rather cruelly if they lose to Scotland, they could well meet the same fate.

Lightning often doesn't strike twice and Scotland well and truly have the beating of Japan if they turn up.

Samoa could also be a match for Japan, they needn't get too complacent after today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I really don't think Ireland can take any bonus points for granted for the rest of the tournament. Nor do I think Japan will be a pushover for any other teams they're going to face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

That try for Uruguay off the lineout was exactly the kind of “power play” I was expecting from Ireland yesterday.

4 days after their biggest ever win Uruguay are putting it up to Georgia here.
    In sweltering heat
    And All from a tiny playing base

Los Teros Are are my new favorite team at this WC!

In sweltering heat

Uruguay buckling sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

So,Georgia with 5 points in the bag here. If Wales put Australia away, or possibly hammer them, Georgia v Aus . will be something to look forward in the last round of this group.

In sweltering heat

Uruguay buckling sadly.

Just been over powered
    Not surprising
    But a great effort
    4 days! Mad

In sweltering heat

Uruguay buckling sadly.

Just been over powered
    Not surprising
    But a great effort
    4 days! Mad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

PTH2009 wrote: »

No chance....NZ and the other will cry atNH to start up some world league but no chance they will help any other nation

Wayne got that call wrong. Poor Uruguay were away there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Wayne got that call wrong. Poor Uruguay were away there.

Did the Uruguay 9 knock the ball on tho in that tackle?

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Did the Uruguay 9 knock the ball on tho in that tackle?

Possible alright. Should have let it play out and go back though. Knew it himself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

Barnsey going for a red card here. Joke .

• Advertisement
Advertisement