Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

That means Wales have a great chance to get to a semi now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Great game, delighted to see Australia lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Brilliant win. Brilliant game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Well done Wales and Gatland. First half lead and drop goals proved a bridge too far.

England v Aussie Q/F ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That’s a line out.

If you leave the ground to keep the ball in and then land outside the field of play, the ball is out. Unless it’s changed recently! I think there was a long video of Erasmus explaining all the situations iirc.

Brilliant stuff to watch though

I was of the opinion you had to have a foot in play to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Brilliant stuff. Wales nearly bottled it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

That’s a line out.

If you leave the ground to keep the ball in and then land outside the field of play, the ball is out. Unless it’s changed recently! I think there was a long video of Erasmus explaining all the situations iirc.

No, as long as you start in play and knock the ball back in before you land in touch, it's play on.

.... I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

Great game to watch over Sunday morning breakfast

Entertaining game ruined by very one sided refereeing. Australia need to do better at the set piece to threaten but you can't win a tight game if some rules only apply to one team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Agh....would have been a brilliant comeback.
    Tomua made a huge difference

• Advertisement

Interesting. Crucial one to get wrong

Ewan McKenna reveling in yesterday's loss. Not before he deleted all comments regarding what a waste of time these matches were.
    Fake prick.

491847.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Touch Judge really messed up on that Australian penalty towards the end. Ball was out and the Welsh player Landed way out past the touchline.

Surely it should have been a lineout or is there someone with better knowledge of the laws here who can explain it?

You can have both feet off the ground just need to touch down in the field of play before touching outside it, which is very difficult if you’re jumping like Williams did

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That’s a line out.

I thought it was you could do what he did during normal play, but for penalties the rule is different or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

That Tipuric offside at the end was absolutely ridiculous.

How is a team supposed to attack if the referees allow defenders to be so far offside

No, as long as you start in play and knock the ball back in before you land in touch, it's play on.

.... I think

Maybe. Only if things have changed in the last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

So that's SA, Ireland and Australia with a pool loss. No team who has lost a pool game has gone on to win a WC. Interesting to see if that remains the case this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Wales showing mental fortitude and application all over the pitch. Wouldn't be Gatlands biggest fan but boy he has been some inspiration for Wales over the last decade. Ireland that's how it should be done.

awec wrote: »
    I thought it was you could do what he did during normal play, but for penalties the rule is different or something.

That sounds confusing enough to be true alright! :D

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Touch Judge really messed up on that Australian penalty towards the end. Ball was out and the Welsh player Landed way out past the touchline.

Surely it should have been a lineout or is there someone with better knowledge of the laws here who can explain it?

Law 18:

The ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal if:

A player jumps from the playing area and knocks (or catches and releases) the ball back into the playing area, before landing in touch or touch-in-goal, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.

Referee was correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The ball is not in touch if The ball reaches plane of touch but is caught, knocked or kicked by a player who is in the playing area or if A player jumps, from within or outside the playing area, and catches the ball, and then lands in the playing area, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.
    A player jumps from the playing area and knocks (or catches and releases) the ball back into the playing area, before landing in touch or touch-in-goal, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.
    A player, who is in touch, kicks or knocks the ball, but does not hold it, provided it has not reached the plane of touch.

Ref was spot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Vinnie222 wrote:
    Christ you need to brush up on your rugby knowledge .

Fair enough. I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The quality of the officiating would want to improve though.

Law 18:

Referee was correct
    Sounds black and white alright!

That’s a line out.

If you start in field, jump, knock the ball backwards, ball lands in field, and you land outside... Play on as far as I remember.
    You're only out of play when you land, off the field.

It's how you can be tackled over the side line but, as long as you've not touched the ground, you can still score a try

Have those rules changed recently?

So we all agree Wales definitely going to win the World Cup now?

Law 18:

Referee was correct

And the lesson there.....

Boot it into row Z

• Advertisement

There were changes to plane of touch, touch in 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Navanboyo

Only got the last few minutes of that, seemed to be very high intensity. I assume the conditions i.e the humidity was completely different to our game yesterday?

So we all agree Wales definitely going to win the World Cup now?

Don't think we can afford sarcasm this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

That’s a line out.

If you start in field, jump, knock the ball backwards, ball lands in field, and you land outside... Play on as far as I remember.
    You're only out of play when you land, off the field.

It's how you can be tackled over the side line but, as long as you've not touched the ground, you can still score a try
    Yep, it’s called ‘in touch’ for a reason. The player or the ball have to touch the ground before it’s out of play

Would be weird to have a different rule just specifically for kicking out for a penalty. Just make sure you find your line!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

ITV saying Davis timed intercept to perfection. Onside.

• Advertisement

There were changes to plane of touch, touch in 2017

Any idea what the rules were before the change?

I am pretty sure I remember something about not being able to jump and knock it back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

2018 globally.

The global law trials that are to be adopted immediately into the law book have been in effect in the Northern Hemisphere since August of 2017, while they came into effect in the Southern Hemisphere in January 2018.

There are 11 others.

Piers Francis escapes ban
    Yellow grade tackle only

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Well...... that was fun.

Great win .... typical Wales v Australia game of recent years with the untypical outcome of us coming out on the right side of the scoreline.

Patchell coming on and playing really well is a huge bonus moving forward. Wainwright was superb and our two 9's look razor sharp.

Onwards to Fiji which will be a challenge but if we have the right attitude we should have too much for them .......

Not looking much further than that .....

I am pretty sure I remember something about not being able to jump and knock it back in.

I remember being able to do it in the 90's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The most important thing that has been confirmed this weekend is that IBF doesn't know the laws of the game.

We all suspected it but now we know.

Law
    You could jump and knock it back in but how you landed was factor etc

Law
    You could jump and knock it back in but how you landed was factor etc

Ah yes.

They also stopped you being able to catch with one foot in touch and one foot in play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Good game that.

Wales will be there at the business end.

Do Wales have a third 10 in the squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

ebbsy wrote: »
    Good game that.

Wales will be there at the business end.

Dunno if they have much better prospects than us atm though.

They were slightly fortunate to get so far ahead and nearly nearly bottled it. Again, without 'blaming' the ref, he certainly was a factor in them eeking out a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Thought Wales made hard work of that, got out of jail in the end

They were slightly fortunate to get so far ahead and nearly nearly bottled it. Again, without 'blaming' the ref, he certainly was a factor in them eeking out a win.

I think errors made by Poite were decisive in two major swings in the game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I would tip them to beat either France or Argentina in the quarter finals. Beyond that depends on who they play.

I think errors made by Poite were decisive in two major swings in the game.

What errors though?

His interventions (or the TMO) had a big bearing but he got them all correct IMO

• Advertisement
Advertisement