Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So do we want Scotland to win or not?

I think so, we want them with something to play for when they play Japan in the last group game. Really need them to beat Japan for us to finish top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Bridge93 wrote: »
    We want Scotland to win and ideally play very well. They can get to 15 points max. We can get to 16. Need Scotland interested and playing well ahead of Japan while also ending Samoa's interest

Samoa are probably only playing to get a tier 1 scalp, don't think losing today will affect their motivation at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Samoa looking very amateur so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

How was Jack Lam allowed back on there, he looked all over the place going off.

Scots look to be suffering from the humidity already...could be a big factor here if they don't build a good lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Scots look to be suffering from the humidity already...could be a big factor here if they don't build a good lead.

BBC radio 5 live talking about using shampoo on the (rugby) balls?
    Is that actually a thing?

razorblunt wrote: »
    BBC radio 5 live talking about using shampoo on the (rugby) balls?
    Is that actually a thing?

Scots trained with them i think while the Welsh were more posh.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-rugby-team-train-balls-16923774

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Scotland not getting a BP would be good for Japan at least. I'd like Scotland to beat Japan for us to get first in the group, but I'd really like Japan to qualify. With BP wins all round for everyone then it would require a Scotland win by less than 7 in the Sco-Jap game. But if Scotland fail to get a couple BP then Japan might be already through by the last game I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Scotland not getting a BP would be good for Japan at least. I'd like Scotland to beat Japan for us to get first in the group, but I'd really like Japan to qualify. With BP wins all round for everyone then it would require a Scotland win by less than 7 in the Sco-Jap game. But if Scotland fail to get a couple BP then Japan might be already through by the last game I think.

The best for us is Scotland still being in the hunt going into the Japan game and ideally only needing 4 points as opposed to chasing a BP win.

techdiver wrote: »
    The best for us is Scotland still being in the hunt going into the Japan game and ideally only needing 4 points as opposed to chasing a BP win.

If Scotland have nothing to play for going in to that last game then thats the perfect time for them to get a BP win with a 30 point margin.

Its perfectly Scotland.

• Advertisement

Scotland making hard hard work of it. Could go anyway this game

Edit: Finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Peach of a kick

Glad Wee Greig wasn't playing like this on the opening weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Two tries. TBP on the way.

Laidlaw got a nice little speed boost off the Somaon 15

Whats with the music they are playing? Are they specific to each country?

If we can't construct a BP win against these guys we might be better off at home tbh. They have just made Scotland look good in the last 5 minutes.

Lovely drop goal from Hogg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Samoa are complete ****e

• Advertisement

Scotland are motoring now. Be surprised if they don't get the tbp though half time is probably coming at the wrong time for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Whats with the music they are playing? Are they specific to each country?

Looks like it. Wonder what Samoan pop song they've got lined up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Samoans with two players suspended already. Dangerous feckers!

Tana Umaga is on the Radio Five Live commentary - wonder what he will have to say about any dangerous tackles?

This is the best I've seen from Scotland in a long time

Who's the Irish lad on BBC Radio 5 Live?
    It's not Tom English is it?

Good to see them call out the cynical second penalty that immediately kills any advantage, that's been happening far too often. If it's not killed immediately it's attempted repeatedly.
    Should be an instant yellow like not releasing by the tryline is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

That was stupid.

• Advertisement

Wait, I thought if you kick it out without telling the referee you want to play the lineout it's half over?
    I didn't know you play the lineout by default?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wait, I thought if you kick it out without telling the referee you want to play the lineout it's half over?

You have to tap then kick it into touch for the half to be over.

Nah default is lineout. Gotta tap it before kicking it out if you want that

Last 5 minutes was much more the Scotland I have come to expect. Panicky for no reason when steady heads are needed

If Scotland are any good they should put 50 points on these guys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yeah I know. I really want Japan to also qualify though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

I understand, but if we want ireland to top the group we need Scotland in as strong a position as possible going into the Japan game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Such a shame South Africa cant do more for rugby in Namibia, Kenya, Zimbabwe

Actually South Africa do an awful lot for Rugby in Nambia and have had them involved in their domestic competitions.
    They have had over the years teams from Zim & Kenya too but Namibia's domestic based players play in the second tier of the currie cup, they used to play in the vodacom cup.

South Africa did the same for Argentina when they were joining the Rugby Championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

In my place of work today we seem to have a lot of humidity experts

Samoan collapse incoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

endabob1 wrote: »
    Actually South Africa do an awful lot for Rugby in Nambia and have had them involved in their domestic competitions.
    They have had over the years teams from Zim & Kenya too but Namibia's domestic based players play in the second tier of the currie cup, they used to play in the vodacom cup.

South Africa did the same for Argentina when they were joining the Rugby Championship
    I know theyve had a side from Namibia but lot more assistance could be provided for them and sides from those countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Don't really understand this, Japan doing well is going to be bad for us, while there are unlikely permutations that could see us top the group with them also qualifying, it is amost certain now that Japan will either win the group at our expense or else they won't qualify at all.

Therefore we want Scotland to do well from here and knock them out. Ultimately I couldn't care less about Japan beyond that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yup we really want Scotland to win with BP and also win v Russia with BP

Japan will prob be on 14 with BP win over Samoa

Any Scotland win will help us then in last match

Don't really understand this, Japan doing well is going to be bad for us, while there are unlikely permutations that could see us top the group with them also qualifying, it is amost certain now that Japan will either win the group at our expense or else they won't qualify at all.

Therefore we want Scotland to do well from here and knock them out. Ultimately I couldn't care less about Japan beyond that.

Love of the game: I want them to qualify
    Selfish reasons: I want them in 3rd

Here is the question:

Even looking at an improved Scotland, can they even beat Japan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

They could beat Japan alright but Japan would be heavy favourites

Are Scotland gonna mess up the BP. Jaysus!

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    They could beat Japan alright but Japan would be heavy favourites

Yeah, I think Japan will win all their games to be honest

Do we want Scotland to get the BP

Do we want Scotland to get the BP

Kinda yes, kinda no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Dear god, how did he mess that up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

In my place of work today we seem to have a lot of humidity experts
    Well we live in Ireland, home of humidity. That it only usually manifests in freezing fog and 'soft days', doesn't make us any less expert. :)

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I understand, but if we want ireland to top the group we need Scotland in as strong a position as possible going into the Japan game.

Not sure if I do want then to top group any more. South Africa will likely be the opponent in the QF. They'll have nearly 2 weeks without a game to prep.

Now if Italy beat them and finished 2nd it will be a big missed opportunity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

penalty try based on the first replay

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well we live in Ireland, home of humidity. That it only usually manifests in freezing fog and 'soft days', doesn't make us any less expert. :)

We have 15-20degree C humidity which makes it feel much much hotter than 20C

BUT they have 25-30C and the humidity!

Advertisement