Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Phew for Scotland! And us maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

So happy to see that get penalised, happens far too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Spot on. Stupid, reckless stuff by Fidow.

The offside was bad enough, when you're desperately trying to stop a try on the line, but that's daft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

We have 15-20degree C humidity which makes it feel much much hotter than 20C

BUT they have 25-30C and the humidity!
    Ah yeah. Just pointing out that we have it all year round. Our version in the summer is energy sapping. Would hate to have to play rugby in what they're experiencing.

So happy to see that get penalised, happens far too often.
    Girvan Dempsey likes this post.

• Advertisement

Would have been great to see Samoa score from there!

Fair call, harsh as it's nigh on impossible to wrap a player already on the ground but correct. Feel for the lad

First duck egg of this WC I think.

Samoa looked out on their feet at the end there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Peckham

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    They could beat Japan alright but Japan would be heavy favourites

Bookies have Scotland as favourites to win that match (and that was before today's game). Not sure why, but guess money talks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Gotfoodforphil

Posted this in the ticket thread but got nothing, just wondering if anyone would be selling 2x tickets to the Russia game? In Japan at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Peckham wrote: »
    Bookies have Scotland as favourites to win that match (and that was before today's game). Not sure why, but guess money talks!

I saw that after Japan beat Ireland. Scotland favorites...

I don't see an issue here.

Scotland would have been favorites before our loss.....

We were flat, didn't perform to our best. Japan were good, but still Japan....nothing exceptional.

I think Scotland are better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

walshb wrote: »

We were flat, didn't perform to our best. Japan were good, but still Japan....nothing exceptional.

Ah I'm not at all sure that that was the case..

What does "Japan were good, but still Japan" mean?

As for Scotland are better! What's that based on? Seriously!? While Ireland have had a disappointing 2019 - they've still beaten Scotland twice.

Scotland will be better if they stop Japan going wide. Japan are limited and usually ship big defeats if you succeed in doing that. We didn't, simple as.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

lawred2 wrote: »

As for Scotland are better! What's that based on? Seriously!? While Ireland have had a disappointing 2019 - they've still beaten Scotland twice.

Scotland were 8 points favourites before our loss, and two point favourites after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Scotland were 8 points favourites before our loss, and two point favourites after

genuine misread on my part... thought it was favourites to win group not favourites to beat Japan

:o

carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Japan also best South Africa last World Cup who are better than Scotland and got walloped by Scotland a few days later. Yes I know they were unlucky with scheduling. I think Scotland will be up against it with the ref and not just playing 15 Japanese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Scotland are sh*te. They have a couple of good individuals like Hogg and yerman on the wing that looks like Sick Boy from Trainspotting, but they seem incredibly limited otherwise.

Japan on the other hand are coached extremely well, are committed and have a high-tempo game that will break Scotland just like they broke Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Legalfarmer89

Pity Samoa let them in for the Bonus point. Scots could beat Japan but it will be 50/50. Samoa were very poor, far cry from 8 years ago when they weren’t far off beating Wales and South Africa.

The Island Nations have been pretty poor at this World Cup so far.

Still think Ireland may top the Group but depends on between Japan and Scotland .Ive a feeling that Scotland could turn them over and it will come down to bonus points.

Would be great for the tournament if Japan could make the quarterfinals. Sorry to say Scotland will only get hammered by New Zealand if they advance. Hard to know what Ireland will do at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'm really impressed at Japan's ability to maintain fast ball from the ruck, I honestly thought we were going to shut them down at the breakdown and force them to play at a slower tempo, with Watson out for Scotland they're going to struggle keeping up with the tempo, similar to what happened to Ireland.

I'm really impressed at Japan's ability to maintain fast ball from the ruck, I honestly thought we were going to shut them down at the breakdown and force them to play at a slower tempo, with Watson out for Scotland they're going to struggle keeping up with the tempo, similar to what happened to Ireland.

That was the most bizarre thing from the game. The ball speed they had was insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Still think Ireland may top the Group but depends on between Japan and Scotland .Ive a feeling that Scotland could turn them over and it will come down to bonus points.

Am I right in thinking that if Ireland scoop the win bonus points against Russia and Samoa, they're guaranteed to finish ahead of Scotland?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Am I right in thinking that if Ireland scoop the win bonus points against Russia and Samoa, they're guaranteed to finish ahead of Scotland?

Yes. One bonus would suffice in fact (bar a 3 way tie).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Yes. One bonus would suffice in fact (bar a 3 way tie).

Cheers. Although given how Samoa's games against Russia and Scotland transpired, you'd have thought both were virtually guaranteed, barring complacency/catastrophic indiscipline/ a batch of dodgy sushi...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

lawred2 wrote: »

I meant that they were still Japan, not some historically great team with a rich rugby history. We were very much favored to beat them.

Scotland I think will beat Japan. Better? Ok, maybe wrong to say this, but I think when they meet, Scotland will win.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Looks like Jamie Ritchie is bang in form though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Japan are 13/8 to beat Scotland. Would be interesting to know what they were pre Ireland Japan match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Eod100 wrote: »
    Japan are 13/8 to beat Scotland. Would be interesting to know what they were pre Ireland Japan match

8/1

Scotland were 8 point favourite, now they are 2 point favourites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Could Japan be after blowing there load against us and struggle for the rest of the tournament ?

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Could Japan be after blowing there load against us and struggle for the rest of the tournament ?
    Judging by what I saw of Samoa, I don't think they've anything to fear there. Other than injuries. Scotland may be a different matter and even though they have good gaps between matches, fatigue may become a factor. I don't think they have the strength in depth necessary to get them all the way if there are injuries or niggles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No.

They might not struggle but they have certainly given Scotland a huge heads up that I think they will capitalise on and knock Japan out. They 'should', but then we are dealing with an unreliable Scottish team.
    Fascinating group now.

Think Scotland's tbp v Samoa there very important. Can get to a max of 15 now. 14 if they hadn't.

If Japan beat Samoa with a tbp, they will be on 14. If Scotland hadn't got the tbp, a lbp for Japan v Scotland whether Scotland got a win with tbp or not would have Japan on 15, Scotland 14. Could prove fairly decisive!

All fairly academic at this point, but kinda interesting all the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

They should beat Samoa though maybe not with a bonus point. I would think they have a 50/50 chance of winning against the Scots. Depends what Scotland team turn up on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Just on this 'leading with the forearm' thing and not to disrupt the riveting conversation about intra-national hatred or whatever, but Poite disposed of that quickly by saying (quite correctly) that he was holding the ball to his chest at the point of initial impact. Now you can call that leading with the forearm, but you'd be effectively telling players to enter the tackle with the ball held somewhere else other than to the chest.

The penalty was given for what he did afterwards, which was to then push away with the forearm culminating with him pushing at his throat.

Thanks for the clarification ..... but leading with the forearm .... pushing away with the forearm .... semantics really....

If I recall the incident correctly he was holding the ball with one arm .... making contact with his opponent with the other.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

Watch this video of George North. It's quite eye opening.

Every carry an unpunished "Kerevi".

Thanks for the clarification ..... but leading with the forearm .... pushing away with the forearm .... semantics really....

If I recall the incident correctly he was holding the ball with one arm .... making contact with his opponent with the other.
    No. It was his ball carrying arm that made the first contact. I'm pretty sure...

And now you're making me doubt myself. :eek:

Must look for footage. :(

NeonWolf wrote: »

Watch this video of George North. It's quite eye opening.

Every carry an unpunished "Kerevi".

I thought fending with the elbow was illegal? North got away with a few there. :)

Just reading there about Ardie Savea's goggles that he'll be wearing going forward

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup/rwc-2019-japan/116243874/rugby-world-cup-all-blacks-no-concerns-about-ardie-saveas-eye-issues-goggles

Better safe than sorry, Ardie has become a key player for the AB's recently. I'd go so far to say that he's almost their most important player atm. An absolute machine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

Basil3 wrote: »
    Just reading there about Ardie Savea's goggles that he'll be wearing going forward

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup/rwc-2019-japan/116243874/rugby-world-cup-all-blacks-no-concerns-about-ardie-saveas-eye-issues-goggles

Better safe than sorry, Ardie has become a key player for the AB's recently. I'd go so far to say that he's almost their most important player atm. An absolute machine.

He has been irrepressible . Such a good attitude, with a refreshing effervescence to his play. Carries big. Tackles big. Smile on the face. Love th bloke. Hope his eye is ok .

Has he been playing that good on one eye ???? Remarkable if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

I thought fending with the elbow was illegal? North got away with a few there. :)
    100% agree ..... as i said previously this is going to get picked up more often now with safety edicts, multiple cameras and eagle eyed TMO's ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Despite it being England (booooo! :D), I've been enjoying the Rising Sons series on YouTube. Interesting looks behind the scenes and you get to hear about some of the preparation. In the latest episode, for example, Eddie talks about trying to recreate the flying and short turn around for a game in their WC warmups, which basically gives them one proper training session.

🤪

No. It was his ball carrying arm that made the first contact. I'm pretty sure...

And now you're making me doubt myself. :eek:

Must look for footage. :(
    So I found footage here. It's not great, but Kerevi has the ball in his right arm and his left is wrapped over it going into the tackle. He then pushes at Patchell with his left forearm and that rides up to Patchell's throat. If I'm right, he would have been fine had his fend stayed on Patchell's chest. I think.

They might not struggle but they have certainly given Scotland a huge heads up that I think they will capitalise on and knock Japan out. They 'should', but then we are dealing with an unreliable Scottish team.
    Fascinating group now.

They also won't get as easy a ride off the ref as Gardner gave them.

So I found footage here. It's not great, but Kerevi has the ball in his right arm and his left is wrapped over it going into the tackle. He then pushes at Patchell with his left forearm and that rides up to Patchell's throat. If I'm right, he would have been fine had his fend stayed on Patchell's chest. I think.

That is what the ref explained to him as far as I remember. Fine to begin with but not where it ended up.

Jesse Kriel ruled out for SA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

razorblunt wrote: »
    They also won't get as easy a ride off the ref as Gardner gave them.

No but they have the Kiwi guy that reffed Fiji Australia so brilliantly.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

That is what the ref explained to him as far as I remember. Fine to begin with but not where it ended up.

Nothing to see there. If you tackle that high what can you expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Shame, he's an excellent player and as well as centre he provides cover at full back & wing at a push, expect Steyn to get some game time in the centre now

endabob1 wrote: »
    No but they have the Kiwi guy that reffed Fiji Australia so brilliantly.......

O'Keefe? That's not good for anyone!
    He was looking directly at the Lavinini shoulder charge too and called nothing.

Willemse in as a replacement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement