Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of intensity so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Scotland with a try only after an abysmal French mistake.........

Different week, same story so far for Scotland. 30 minutes in and its 03-14 to the French.

France look impressive enough to be honest, still in that Honeymoon period but could be a bit of a timely turn around for them.

Scotland in complete disarray. France holding up defensively and Scotland getting scraps, they don't have the forwards to build momentum against the French forwards at all.

They'll be a different side in the World Cup but has to be worrying times for Townsend. They need a big turnaround this half or they'll have no momentum going to Japan at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Scotland look absolutely clueless, lucky try off a French mistake to finish off the half keeps them in it but my god they've been poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

France look impressive enough to be honest,

Same as last week though Venjur...some nice bits of flair punctuating ponderous faffing about, no?

Scotland look like they want to give absolutely no moves away before the WC.

Same as last week though Venjur...some nice bits of flair punctuating ponderous faffing about, no?

They have much more structure to their play than they did in the six nations. They dont look headless after 4 or 5 phases.

They look coached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

That's the scary thing for us come a months time. Scotland coming over the radar is not ideal

Wow, such an obvious penalty miss by the ref, both Scottish players go into that ruck, neither on their feet.

There's not giving anything away and then there's just playing poorly.
    Their lineout especially is bad, even basic calls going bad for them.

• Advertisement

Good to see that Hogg appears to be out of form.

I really hope Scotland try that short cross kick against Stockdale.

Good to see that Hogg appears to be out of form.

Watch the French intercept try, had no interest chasing the French 14 back.

Watch the French intercept try, had no interest chasing the French 14 back.

I was watching that and it wasn't just him, nobody seems too bothered. Townsend is a gambler, so god knows what he has planned for us. But regardless if we play keep-ball we should be fine.

Scotland lose another lineout 5m out from the french line, France didn't even compete.......

Edit: They get lucky France knocked it on. Ineptitude from both sides.

Scotland could win this in second gear. France still poor. They are ponderous in transition.

Nicely worked there from Scotland...but France very poor there too.

Ntamack has thrown 3 forward passes, he's only been on the field 23 minutes!

If the French forwards get to more Scottish breakdowns they'll get the ball. Support running gone missing for them now too.

Reckon this is Scotlands to lose.

• Advertisement

Not sure what Hogg has to celebrate

Raka is playing himself out of the WC squad

Berghan the Butcher!! :eek::eek:

'Untidy'? Bloody criminal not to get that lineout.

3 points up with 5 minutes to go and Scotland are trying to throw it around, gifting easy possession to France in a counter attacking position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

After that sh!t show,wouldnt be surprised if Japan and Scotland beat us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

no esteerheuizen in the backs

going for a 15 / 14 split is quite unusual i would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

sydthebeat wrote: »
    no esteerheuizen in the backs

going for a 15 / 14 split is quite unusual i would think.

17/14

Riskymove wrote: »
    17/14

doh !!!! :D

i was just counting from the image in the post, not the tweet

ill blame monday morning for my thinking that 15 + 14 = 31 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

No Owen Franks

https://twitter.com/AllBlacks/status/1166530841775755264?s=19

Edit- Retallick named but not available for group stages.

• Advertisement

Fair dues luke jacobsen.

And delighted to see Liam coltman get that third hooker spot.

No sentimentality for Owen Frank's, wonder if Ireland will be so cut throat

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

Dropping Owen was absolutely the right call - still a decent scrummager but not much else. Hansen made a comment earlier in the year that our props were starting to lag behind other top nations and I think he had Owen squarely in his mind with that.

Pleased for Jacobson although slightly surprised he has overtaken all other contenders (Hemopo, Papali'i, Frizzell and Fifita).

Bridge and Reece are there on form and well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I like the AB's squad. Jacobson and Weber would be the 2 bolters. There has been quite a bit of hype around Jacobson for a couple of years now with a lot of people picking him to be a long term AB but I don't think anyone was thinking it would be this soon.

Great comeback by Weber. It must 5 years since he last played for the ABs. No one would have been picking him to be on the radar at the start of the year.

No Laumape which is a bit of a surprise. I suppose SBW did enough against Aus to push him out. And SBW has always been a Hansen favourite. Just hope he stays fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I like the AB's squad. Jacobson and Weber would be the 2 bolters. There has been quite a bit of hype around Jacobson for a couple of years now with a lot of people picking him to be a long term AB but I don't think anyone was thinking it would be this soon.

Great comeback by Weber. It must 5 years since he last played for the ABs. No one would have been picking him to be on the radar at the start of the year.

No Laumape which is a bit of a surprise. I suppose SBW did enough against Aus to push him out. And SBW has always been a Hansen favourite. Just hope he stays fit.

Weber was always better than TTT in my mind. Not sure how the coaches saw differently.

Chances of SBW or Crotty getting crocked are fairly high so Laumape still has a good chance of being part of the squad eventually.

All the talk about Ireland v Wales I forgot there was another match one :/

Scotland beat Georgia 44-10 in Tbilisi

It's also apparently Scotland's first away in in 14 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭tmc1963

All the talk about Ireland v Wales I forgot there was another match one :/

Scotland beat Georgia 44-10 in Tbilisi

It's also apparently Scotland's first away in in 14 months!

That's a big win - the bookies spread was only about 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Forwards: Jake Ball, Adam Beard, Rhys Carre, James Davies, Elliot Dee, Ryan Elias, Tomas Francis, Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones, Wyn Jones, Dillon Lewis, Ross Moriarty, Josh Navidi, Ken Owens, Aaron Shingler, Nicky Smith, Justin Tipuric, Aaron Wainwright.

Backs: Josh Adams, Hallam Amos, Dan Biggar, Aled Davies, Gareth Davies, Jonathan Davies, Leigh Halfpenny, George North, Hadleigh Parkes, Rhys Patchell, Owen Watkin, Liam Williams, Tomos Williams.

Wales squad named. Rob Evans the biggest name missing. No Owen Lane or Scott Williams either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Pity for Scott Williams, he just didn't play enough last season to stake a claim. One of my favourite players to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Forwards: Jake Ball, Adam Beard, Rhys Carre, James Davies, Elliot Dee, Ryan Elias, Tomas Francis, Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones, Wyn Jones, Dillon Lewis, Ross Moriarty, Josh Navidi, Ken Owens, Aaron Shingler, Nicky Smith, Justin Tipuric, Aaron Wainwright.

Backs: Josh Adams, Hallam Amos, Dan Biggar, Aled Davies, Gareth Davies, Jonathan Davies, Leigh Halfpenny, George North, Hadleigh Parkes, Rhys Patchell, Owen Watkin, Liam Williams, Tomos Williams.

Wales squad named. Rob Evans the biggest name missing. No Owen Lane or Scott Williams either

It was an epic announcement video...

https://twitter.com/WelshRugbyUnion/status/1168146475509047297?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

A lot of Scottish sources say Huw Jones will not be selected for the World Cup. Seems to be form related and problems with his defence. Rory Hutchinson looks like he'll miss out too. That's interesting too because he's probably been Scotland's best player in the warm ups. That's two very good attacking centres they're not selecting. If it comes to pass of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Decent chance for South Africa to pick up a historic first victory over the Brave Blossoms this weekend :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

How was Carre selected for Wales? Thought they had a sixty cap rule if you moved abroad?

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Decent chance for South Africa to pick up a historic first victory over the Brave Blossoms this weekend :pac:

Wouldn't it be great fun if.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Scottish squad: https://twitter.com/Scotlandteam/status/1168879312650608640

Lot of anger at the Hutchinson omission

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

ClanofLams wrote: »
    How was Carre selected for Wales? Thought they had a sixty cap rule if you moved abroad?

Loophole in the eligibility rules according to Wales Online. States players can only 'continue' to play for the international side if they've amassed more than 60 caps, but seeing as he hasn't been capped he's technically eligible.

Not sure if that's true or else he's still contracted to Cardiff and is still considering a WRU player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Loophole in the eligibility rules according to Wales Online. States players can only 'continue' to play for the international side if they've amassed more than 60 caps, but seeing as he hasn't been capped he's technically eligible.

Not sure if that's true or else he's still contracted to Cardiff and is still considering a WRU player.

Jeez that kinda undermines the rule and goal but guess Gatland isn’t too concerned with future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

swiwi_ wrote: »

Don't jinx us..! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

So 2 irish lads in canadian squad - Shane O Leary and Peter Nelson
    Could be 4 or 5 in US squad
    Any others missing out on of Irish players playing for other countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

So 2 irish lads in canadian squad - Shane O Leary and Peter Nelson Could be 4 or 5 in US squad Any others missing out on of Irish players playing for other countries?

Did I see something about an Irish lad in Japan squad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Vasily Artemyev, who went to Blackrock (won JCT and SCT with them), played for Leinster and Ireland schools and Ireland U19 and played for UCD, was named as captain for the Russia RWC squad.

Advertisement