Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Haven't read through the last couple pages so don't know if it's been mentioned, but the Scots have notified World Rugby that they're prepared to take legal action if the Japan game is cancelled and not rescheduled or moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭techdiver

Wonder how much of a stickler for the rules New Zealand would have been if the shoe was on the other foot.

At least it sounds like Japan have a bit of honour about them and are willing to play whenever required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Brian Moore's subsequent points there have it spot on.

Having it come down to the agreement of participating unions is absolutely crazy. Obviously New Zealand would never agree to play their game elsewhere or later if the alternative is cancellation. Pure abdication of World Rugby's responsibilities if Moore is correct about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

techdiver wrote: »
    Wonder how much of a stickler for the rules New Zealand would have been if the shoe was on the other foot.

At least it sounds like Japan have a bit of honour about them and are willing to play whenever required.

Makes Parisse's comments all the more valid. Surely Conor O'Shea is onto the Italian Mafia solicitors by now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Haven't read through the last couple pages so don't know if it's been mentioned, but the Scots have notified World Rugby that they're prepared to take legal action if the Japan game is cancelled and not rescheduled or moved.

Saw that in Telegraph alright but not sure what that would achieve. Compensation? Tournament would move on without them surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Brian Moore's subsequent points there have it spot on.

Having it come down to the agreement of participating unions is absolutely crazy. Obviously New Zealand would never agree to play their game elsewhere or later if the alternative is cancellation. Pure abdication of World Rugby's responsibilities if Moore is correct about that.

It’s a nonsense. Of course teams should be consulted but rediculous to give a team a veto. I hope Scotland do take legal action if match cancelled and show up world rugby for the shambles it has become.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Saw that in Telegraph alright but not sure what that would achieve. Compensation? Tournament would move on without them surely?

I've no idea what Japanese law is like or even if that's the jurisdiction this would be decided in, but they could potentially get an injuction against the tournament proceeding.

At the very least they absolutely deserve a serious amount of compensation. The amount of money unions invest in the world cup is staggering and they've had their chances completely robbed here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I refer you to my earlier post...
    They should take a case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport to have the whole World Cup replayed.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I think the Scots might be goosed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

Are we any clearer now, than say this morning, as to whether the Scotland match will go ahead or is it just wait and see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

This is it wrote: »
    Are we any clearer now, than say this morning, as to whether the Scotland match will go ahead or is it just wait and see?

Depends how badly the typhoon hits which at the moment looks like hitting where Scotland match is being played but still could change track.

It’s a nonsense. Of course teams should be consulted but rediculous to give a team a veto. I hope Scotland do take legal action if match cancelled and show up world rugby for the shambles it has become.

My guess would be that NZ, England and France were happy to cancel and Italy, Scotland and Japan wanted to play.

As there was still a possibility of Japan - Scotland going ahead, Their votes were disregarded and it became a 3-1 vote for cancelling the other two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ebbsy wrote: »
    I think the Scots might be goosed.

It will not be good for the competition if they end up going home on Sunday having been denied their shot at Japan..

What a clusterf**k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Wait 4 years for a chance to play the World Cup and can't even get all the Pool matches done. Not a good look for the competition.

This is it wrote: »

Odds of Japan topping the group drifting, so clearly it will:P

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    It will not be good for the competition if they end up going home on Sunday having been denied their shot at Japan..

What a clusterf**k

Think WR are stuck in a bind here. If it can't go ahead, then would surely be inconsistent that England France, NZ Italy games were cancelled. Unless they say Japan and Scotland both agree but even then, not sure would it be possible logistically.

Think WR are stuck in a bind here. If it can't go ahead, then would surely be inconsistent that England France, NZ Italy games were cancelled. Unless they say Japan and Scotland both agree but even then, not sure would it be possible logistically.

They're screwed either way. If Japan and Scotland play, then the Italians will go ballistic and drag them through the courts. If Japan and Scotland don't play, it looks like Scotland will, and the Italians will probably tag along too.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

They're screwed either way. If Japan and Scotland play, then the Italians will go ballistic and drag them through the courts. If Japan and Scotland don't play, it looks like Scotland will, and the Italians will probably tag along too.

One lawsuit is better than two :)

Think WR are stuck in a bind here. If it can't go ahead, then would surely be inconsistent that England France, NZ Italy games were cancelled.

AFAIK they were due to bear the brunt of the typhoon, whereas it is due to have passed by the time of the Scotland game

Wonder is WR less willing to piss off Scots than Italians especially after RWC in 2015 which they feel hard done by. For Italians it sees more about pride that results. Shoddy way for Parisse and rest of lads to bow out. Maybe will be offered a few bob as token gesture but then again, Italians might tell them where to go

• Advertisement

AFAIK they were due to bear the brunt of the typhoon, whereas it is due to have passed by the time of the Scotland game

Sure but that's if the game can go head. If it can't they would be in the bind which looks like a possibility

Italians might tell them where to go

Precisely where:P
    04ffdbef9da622cac948aa76357c36e3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

They should have just made the decision right away to move it up to Friday, even if it was to start at a weire time, most fans over there would already by there.

I know they're saying there could be tsunamis and earthquakes but we all know these things are exaggerated by media.

I havent seen anything about lightning, that would be the most dangerous thing. They should just let the match go ahead and let fans decide to head over or not, if the weather gets truly scary (again, most dangerous thing is lightning) have a weather delay and if it doesn't improve, call the result then. Thats what they do in america when football matches are played under threat of hurricane. Though sometimes they do postpone them it only happens in college football where they cancel them altogether. A world cup they should reschedule either play earlier or later.

Anyway, Ireland will finally play up to expectations tomorrow and I'll be taking the -26 on the handicap, theyll be amped for this with the changea and the fact they havent been cancelled giving them a boost. Samoa will be already thinking about getting outta dodge have nothing to play for and opposite of Ireland are probably wishing their match WAS called off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I find it amusing that some people are blaming the ABs for a massive typhoon resulting in a couple of matches. Such insecurity. Or is the Darkside/Evil Empire really that powerful? ðŸ˜

I actually heard that the ABs pushed for their game to be moved to Friday but were told no.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I find it amusing that some people are blaming the ABs for a massive typhoon resulting in a couple of matches. Such insecurity. Or is the Darkside/Evil Empire really that powerful? ðŸ˜

I actually heard that the ABs pushed for their game to be moved to Friday but were told no.

Yeah Hansen said he wanted to play it Friday but wasn't an option from World Rugby, was either cancel it or face a short turnaround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The vast majority are blaming World Rugby, to be honest.

And nobody is blaming anyone for the typhoon. I mean, the All Blacks are very good at rugby, but summoning typhoons? That's some next level ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

How can anyone think NZ are the ‘bad guys’ for objecting to a shorter turn around? Ever other team in their situation would be the same.

On another note, this is technically the first time the All Blacks have not won a world cup group stage game.

And Sergio Parrisse will retire with a draw against the All Blacks on his record, unlike Brian O'Driscoll who only had losses at international level (lions not included).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    If Scotland were to go out due to weather, a Wales or Ireland w.c. victory would come off the back of a questionable last 8 line-up.

well that not going to happen ...and anyway even if it did i don't irish fans will give two jots 20 years down the line

Who is blaming New Zealand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

I find it amusing that some people are blaming the ABs for a massive typhoon resulting in a couple of matches. Such insecurity.

I think you have found the rabbit hole and are well and truly down it.
    As for insecurity, best look in your mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭nc6000

On another note, this is technically the first time the All Blacks have not won a world cup group stage game.

And Sergio Parrisse will retire with a draw against the All Blacks on his record, unlike Brian O'Driscoll who only had losses at international level (lions not included).

Even including The Lions he only had losses against NZ.

The vast majority are blaming World Rugby, to be honest.

And nobody is blaming anyone for the typhoon. I mean, the All Blacks are very good at rugby, but summoning typhoons? That's some next level ****.

Apparently it originated in NZ.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

fryup wrote: »
    well that not going to happen ...and anyway even if it did i don't irish fans will give two jots 20 years down the line

I wouldn’t care 20 seconds down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Basil3 wrote: »

The typhoon is projected to hit Gary Linekers house. This has AB's written all over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Their carbon footprint as they endlessly criss-cross the planet in search of enough TV moolah to afford to pay their best players to stay at home (rather than signing for Connacht!) is probably a massive contributor to the global conditions that led to this typhoon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Ishmael wrote: »
    My guess would be that NZ, England and France were happy to cancel and Italy, Scotland and Japan wanted to play.

As there was still a possibility of Japan - Scotland going ahead, Their votes were disregarded and it became a 3-1 vote for cancelling the other two games.

There was no vote. This is a nonsense.

the All Blacks are very good at rugby, but summoning typhoons? That's some next level ****.

It's not widely known that the haka originated as a maori rain dance...

There was no vote. This is a nonsense.

Yup, didn't really mean to imply there was any offical vote. More of an England, France and NZ prefer this option to that option kind of scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Basil3 wrote: »

I take it back. NZ are absolutely to blame. Hansen is actually Rob McKenna personified.

Does anyone think that NZ would give 2 fvcks about a quick turnaround if they were in the position of needing the points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

nc6000 wrote: »
    Even including The Lions he only had losses against NZ.

In fairness he only played a couple of minutes for the Lions against the ABs.

Too soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-226.38,-0.52,461

If anyone wants to follow Hagibis this seems like a decent map

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

That is such a poor idea and backwards IMO
    It doesnt help sport expand and develop. We should be pushing towards having 24 teams. Quarters and 3rd/4th place need to stay as well. Expansion to 24 teams solves 5 team pool issue as well.

moving 3 games to one stadium isnt feasible between security pitch etc.

that shouldn't happen either. You shouldn't look to have top two seeded sides playing last round either all the time.

Haha rugby's popularity is growing all the time. Expansion of game in clubs across Ireland. Number of clubs going senior at adult level based on success of kids teams over past decade and more shows that as well.
    except teams cant really grow outside of world cup when top sides dont and refuse to play next tier on a regular basis.
    A b world cup just sees sides who already play each 9ther regularly play once again when these sides need more games at a higher standard to learn and grow.
    12 from 20 qualifying for next tournament isnt ideal though or help with expanding tournament to new teams qualifying

going to 16 is very like cricket going to 10 sides. Completely closed bar 1/2 new sides every tournament.

tough to try find places to play the games again though

Just responding to your point that we should have 24 teams, how would you add 4 more teams in? 4 pools of 6 (too many matches) or 6 pools of 4(awkward number of pools to convert to 8 teams for knockouts).

The points about it closing off to growing rugby nations also assume that there actually are teams out there when all evidence points to the contrary.
    Outside of the top 16 teams the standard drops off considerably, and after the top 20 it falls into almost completely amateur territory.
    For example, how much do you think the popularity of rugby in Russia will have grown during this World Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The standard of the 24 wouldn’t be a whole lot worse than the 20 when you consider 3 teams better than Russia were disqualified to let them in. The issue will be the 4 new spots won’t all be in Europe, maybe 1 at most. You’ll get cannon fodder from Asia and South America too. Maybe another tiny pacific island or African side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Everyone relax, Hagibis, I'm glad she didn't fall over us, but we will win the World Cup.

Anyone know why playing the cancelled games a day earlier was ruled out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Ishmael wrote: »
    Anyone know why playing the cancelled games a day earlier was ruled out?

I imagine it was because the rules don't provide for moving of dates but only movement of venue, otherwise its cancelled. Why didn't they break that rule under force majeure, that's another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

I havent seen anything about lightning, that would be the most dangerous thing. They should just let the match go ahead and let fans decide to head over or not, if the weather gets truly scary (again, most dangerous thing is lightning) have a weather delay and if it doesn't improve, call the result then. Thats what they do in america when football matches are played under threat of hurricane. Though sometimes they do postpone them it only happens in college football where they cancel them altogether. A world cup they should reschedule either play earlier or later.

A typhoon isn't a lightning storm, its a hurricane. People have died during typhoons in Japan in recent years.
    Last year a typhoon in Japan was washing ships into bridges and blowing trucks off bridges. You can't just head out and see what it's like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Canceling games is giving unfair advantage to teams.
    They should move it or play it the next day behind closed doors.

If the rules state it can be moved why was this option ruled out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement