Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

This debacle on the long term will set rugby back for years to come, in the short term it will strengthen club rugby further.
    It shows that tier 1 nations are all for expansion and the money that brings as long as there is no change to their exclusive status
    I find the cancelling of games beyond bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Just a comment on the suggestion by some on here that the size of the tournament should be reduced. Read some of the interviews with the Canadian and Namibian players about playing the ABs and the Boks. It was highlight of their career and one of the best days of their lives. After the match they got to swap jerseys, have a chat and a beer with their heroes.

The more of this the better. It helps grow the game in their home countries and encourages more kids to play the game and pursue the sport as a career. That's a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2019/1010/1082469-eddie-jones-has-limited-sympathy-for-scotlands-plight/

Eddie Jones and Steve Hansen have no sympathy for Scotland, saying that since they knew there might be typhoons Scotland should have made sure they'd qualified already. Kinda easy to say when, like Jones, you have your easiest games first. He couldn't sink much lower in my estmation but he's giving it a good go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2019/1010/1082469-eddie-jones-has-limited-sympathy-for-scotlands-plight/

Eddie Jones and Steve Hansen have no sympathy for Scotland, saying that since they knew there might be typhoons Scotland should have made sure they'd qualified already. Kinda easy to say when, like Jones, you have your easiest games first. He couldn't sink much lower in my estmation but he's giving it a good go.
    Hopefully England get knocked out soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Blud

VayNiice wrote: »
    A typhoon isn't a lightning storm, its a hurricane. People have died during typhoons in Japan in recent years.
    Last year a typhoon in Japan was washing ships into bridges and blowing trucks off bridges. You can't just head out and see what it's like.

Are you saying this is a bridge-specific threat? If so, could they play the games away from bridges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Blud

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Just a comment on the suggestion by some on here that the size of the tournament should be reduced. Read some of the interviews with the Canadian and Namibian players about playing the ABs and the Boks. It was highlight of their career and one of the best days of their lives. After the match they got to swap jerseys, have a chat and a beer with their heroes.

The more of this the better. It helps grow the game in their home countries and encourages more kids to play the game and pursue the sport as a career. That's a good thing.

It's a world cup, not a benefit match. I'm delighted those lads enjoyed their beers, but FFS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Just finished reading that article.
    Very strange man jones. Some chip

Make no doubt that if Scot japan don’t go ahead and you factor in what happened to Scots in 2015 rugby World Cup then you would imagine Scottish rugby is finished.
    How could you grow the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Blud wrote: »
    Are you saying this is a bridge-specific threat? If so, could they play the games away from bridges?

And if there's bridges that buses need to go over to bring team even just as far as the stadium, what would be option then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Ridiculous comment, anybody and everybody has a chance. there have been far greater sporting upsets in the past few years.

You misunderstood what I meant by 'rightly'. I meant the word 'rightly' to mean 'really' as in Italy were really shafted'. Kind of like if Mike Tyson caught me shagging his wife, then I'd be 'rightly' fcuked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

IMO There won't (can't) be any changes to the rules, which really leaves the following choices:
    1. Outright cancel of the game
    2. Play the game behind closed doors
    3. Delay the game by a few hours to allow supporters to attend with reduced public transport services
    4. Play on time with open doors (the typhoon is weakening and moving quicker)

It really comes down to how bad the infrastructure is affected, which is why they are not going to call it until Sunday Morning.... But it does sound like they are motivated to try and make it work.

schmoo2k wrote: »
    IMO There won't (can't) be any changes to the rules, which really leaves the following choices:
    1. Outright cancel of the game
    2. Play the game behind closed doors
    3. Delay the game by a few hours to allow supporters to attend with reduced public transport services
    4. Play on time with open doors (the typhoon is weakening and moving quicker)

It really comes down to how bad the infrastructure is affected, which is why they are not going to call it until Sunday Morning.... But it does sound like they are motivated to try and make it work.

Think options are only 1 and 4 but would be great if other ones were on the table!

And Italy will go ape****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I dunno know .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Eod100 wrote: »
    Think options are only 1 and 4 but would be great if other ones were on the table!

I think the rules say that the game has to be played on the scheduled day, but does allow for time changes.

I know in Florida there would imposed curfews after a storm like this (and a lot of downed power lines etc.), which would force a closed door scenario (in the interest of public safety) - but suspect the Japanese will get things up and running even quicker than their usual efficiency.

Ultimately it really comes down to how windy it gets inland! Luckily the worst of it is on the east side of the storm, but it is rather large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Im not entirely sure what the answer is, I’m sure it’s thought about all the time.

They could have a 24 team tournament with two group stages of 4x4, where the top 8 seeds only join after the first. That’d give tier 2-3 teams 3-6 games and also reduce hockeyings, but it’d be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

And if there's bridges that buses need to go over to bring team even just as far as the stadium, what would be option then?

Sink or swim? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is it okay to call them dickheads? I mean it's accurate but is it okay on here to say it?

Either way, I've said it.

Their heroes... Uuurghh

These are grown men not school boys.

Real and meaningful annual competition is what developing nations need not a 4 yearly ceremonial routing.

The first month of the RWC is a hard sell really. It's great for the players involved for sure but it's not a competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

Blud wrote: »

Hilarious, you should screenshot that one and show the mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Seemingly the pitch was only relaid 2 weeks ago. Players complaining it’s rock hard.

I thought japan was known for meticulous event planning etc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

schmoo2k wrote: »
    I think the rules say that the game has to be played on the scheduled day, but does allow for time changes.

I know in Florida there would imposed curfews after a storm like this (and a lot of downed power lines etc.), which would force a closed door scenario (in the interest of public safety) - but suspect the Japanese will get things up and running even quicker than their usual efficiency.

Ultimately it really comes down to how windy it gets inland! Luckily the worst of it is on the east side of the storm, but it is rather large.
    They are evacuating elderly residents from Chiba South of Tokyo now on the news here now in Japan. I think they are putting their resources towards preventing deaths rather than accommodation of sports fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Just saw this on Twitter - Not sure if its posted here already

https://twitter.com/BBCSPORTNI/status/1182549916339470336

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

To get off the topic of typhoons for a moment, it's strange the number of posters saying the pool stages are a dud, yet the number one ranked team going in was upset by a tier 2 team, a previous semi finalist was knocked out, a tier 3 beat a tier 2 team who went on to give a tier 1 side a scare etc.

Sure, many games are one sided but that can happen in quarters, semis and even finals due the nature of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Podge_irl wrote: »
    October is not peak typhoon season for one.

Maybe not,but the season is from July to December,so major ones can happen outside of peak.

• Advertisement

Maybe not,but the season is from July to December,so major ones can happen outside of peak.

They are saying it Coul be the biggest in 60 years. Also saying it could weaken drastically before it hits. Wouldn't take my chances out in it though. Glad it's missed fukuoka though so safe here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

japan has really let themselves down on this one i think, they are looking less and less like there was any major planning on this tournament as they had the stadiums and a lack of respect for the size of the competition in rugby playing regions.

the fact that their plan b was cancel the games seems absolutely bizarre, ive enjoyed what ive seen of the pool stages but i doubt ill watch much more of it ireland games excepted

just looking at thate video how can they play rugby where the turf might move reminds me of the disaster of a game they had in the millenium stadium after returfing seems like more lack of planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

GBX wrote: »
    Just saw this on Twitter - Not sure if its posted here already

https://twitter.com/BBCSPORTNI/status/1182549916339470336

Shambles of a competition.

Did the FAI organise this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

japan has really let themselves down on this one i think, they are looking less and less like there was any major planning on this tournament as they had the stadiums and a lack of respect for the size of the competition in rugby playing regions.

the fact that their plan b was cancel the games seems absolutely bizarre, ive enjoyed what ive seen of the pool stages but i doubt ill watch much more of it ireland games excepted

Not sure Japan has done much wrong, the organisers have done a poor job.

salmocab wrote: »
    Not sure Japan has done much wrong, the organisers have done a poor job.

Most of what I have read was along the lines that it's the six nations tournament that sets when the other fixtures fall so to move the world cup dates they would have to shift the 6nations

• Advertisement

just looking at thate video how can they play rugby where the turf might move reminds me of the disaster of a game they had in the millenium stadium after returfing seems like more lack of planning.

As Alan Quinlan said on Off the Ball though, how could they expected to have contingency plans in place for every pool game? And know which cities the typhoon would affect most to move games to other stadiums? It would be impossible to know in advance and seems to be far too many variables. In fairness 2 typhoons passed without incident. This one is particularly bad, talk of worst one in 30 years. They did seem to propose delaying match but NZ refused supposedly. There would rightly be uproar if fans were injured or killed. Life has to come before sport no matter what.

The more I think about the manner of Italy's dismisal from this tournament - the more annoyed I am. Just a wave of the hand because it suited NZ, Eng and Fra.

Seems to me that the extent of WRC's contingency planning was hoping that bad things don't happen to important rugby people like themselves. And when bad things did happen - Italy was acceptable collateral damage because the big boys weren't too upset.

Stinks really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

As Alan Quinlan said on Off the Ball though, how could they expected to have contingency plans in place for every pool game? And know which cities the typhoon would affect most to move games to other stadiums? It would be impossible to know in advance and seems to be far too many variables. In fairness 2 typhoons passed without incident. This one is particularly bad, talk of worst one in 30 years. They did seem to propose delaying match but NZ refused supposedly. There would rightly be uproar if fans were injured or killed. Life has to come before sport no matter what.

Ah come on now there was always the possibility of such events occurring and this was a known fact when they awarded the tournament to Japan. For such a major sporting event surely there should of been contingency plans for every game in the likelihood this was going to happen it really would not have been difficult to do they had years to plan this.

They had 10 years so yeah - I think it's relatively reasonable to have expected it of them.

The games could have been played today. But their own changeable rules said otherwise and they choose to stick with them. Largely because changing them didn't really suit NZ. The games weren't cancelled with an hour to kickoff. They were cancelled with more than 48 hours to spare.

Fair enough for NZ to refuse but where was the equal concern for Italy wanting to see the game played?

lawred2 wrote: »
    The more I think about the manner of Italy's dismisal from this tournament - the more annoyed I am. Just a wave of the hand because it suited NZ, Eng and Fra.

Seems to me that the extent of WRC's contingency planning was hoping that bad things don't happen to important rugby people like themselves. And when bad things did happen - Italy was acceptable collateral damage because the big boys weren't too upset.

Stinks really.

Not sure what they are supposed to do. Attached is the weather advisory map. The entire east coast is red warning with no trains or other transport. All flights cancelled and they are expecting many homes to be demomolised in the high winds.

caff wrote: »
    Not sure what they are supposed to do. Attached is the weather advisory map. The entire east coast is red warning with no trains or other transport. All flights cancelled and they are expecting many homes to be demomolised in the high winds.

You think the games couldn't have been played earlier today? First thing this morning? All at the same time if needed be!

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They should not have picked Japan at this time of year in the first place.

That is where this issue is rooted, the selection of a host nation that has regular extreme weather conditions during the time frame of the competition.

The competition is a sham now, and I hope any of the teams dumped out as a result of game cancellation have some sort of legal avenue open to them to take World Rugby to the cleaners. It is the only way anything will change.

They had 10 years so yeah - I think it's relatively reasonable to have expected it of them.

The games could have been played today. But their own changeable rules said otherwise and they choose to stick with them. Largely because changing them didn't really suit NZ. The games weren't cancelled with an hour to kickoff. They were cancelled with more than 48 hours to spare.

Fair enough for NZ to refuse but where was the equal concern for Italy wanting to see the game played?

Typhoon happened to affect last pool games. Presumably rules were in place on basis that if there was any impact it would be based on affecting pool games during the stages. Would have been huge impact to move those games with other teams playing, shorter turnaround between next game etc. I think people are looking at it and thinking they should move these 2 games but only way this would have happened if they had plans for every single pool game which I don't think is very realistic at all

Typhoon happened to affect last pool games. Presumably rules were in place on basis that if there was any impact it would be based on affecting pool games during the stages. Would have been huge impact to move those games with other teams playing, shorter turnaround between next game etc. I think people are looking at it and thinking they should move these 2 games but only way this would have happened if they had plans for every single pool game which I don't think is very realistic at all

Typhoons are not multi day events really so I see no reason why games couldn't be moved up 24 hours in advance.

That's a simple plan for every single game no?

Far far better than what's happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The only person spouting this rubbish is Brian Moore and it has been refuted. NZ wanted the game moved forward to Friday and were told no.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Have you forgotten there was a contingency stadium for Ireland v Samoa?

Its very realistic to expect world rugby to come out and explain what avenues were explored and why they were not feasible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Have the games that could affect the quarter finals in place of other games listed as going ahead. Move the replaced games later in the tournament. Behind closed doors if needed. Gets everything done.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Have the games that could affect the quarter finals in place of other games listed as going ahead. Move the replaced games later in the tournament. Behind closed doors if needed. Gets everything done.

It's not a simple case of wave a magic wand and transport 31 squad, staff, officials etc to stadiums at different part of country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

It's not a simple case of wave a magic wand and transport 31 squad, staff, officials etc to stadiums at different part of country

It's really not that difficult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I know this will annoy the rugby supporters, but as I have said, I am only a blow in. It seems that nobody knows the rules, on or off the field, it is a confusing situation. As for the weather, its a lot worse in hurricane or typhoon season, and an unfortunate situation. When will they decide on the Scotland v Japan game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Nobody is saying its magic. But with ten years preparation, maybe... Just maybe, typhoons being expected and all... They wouldn't have to rely on magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

It's not now. But they've had 10 years to come up with an acceptable contingency plan.
    It's not good enough that Plan B in place for inclement weather can't proceed because of inclement weather. They needed to have:

1. Proper contingency plans in place be that backup days, stadiums, transport etc
    2. Hold it at a different time of year
    3. Not award it to Japan

It's not acceptable that none of the above happen and they cross their fingers. It's the showpiece event of the sport and now rugby is the laughing stock of the sporting world. Money as usual has dictated sport.
    Even allowing for screwing up the above the response has been pitiful. Convenient the hosts and two superpowers are all unaffected by the decision while others get dictated to and ignored.
    New Zealand are fully right to not accept a shorter turnaround. Why would they put themselves out? The issue is it shouldnt be up to them. The skewing of advantage in the quarters is also ridiculous now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Stinks really.

Someone's been listening to Second Captains. :D

• Advertisement

bmcc10 wrote: »
    It's really not that difficult

Why do you think they didnt do it so? Its hardly in their commercial interest to cancel games with refunding of tickets etc. Thats before how it looks and implications on outcome of pool. You can blame poor preparation but then expecting to move games in short notice without that preparation seems contradictory.

Advertisement