Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Clean out, to the head on a Georgian player on his knees just before the try?

Australia taking out players beyond the ruck frequently

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

techdiver wrote: »
    Here is my thoughts on the issue. World Rugby confirmed (or let it slip during the week) that they have cancellation insurance in place in the event of games being cancelled. Now here is the issue. If they movie the games to another stadium behind closed doors they will still have to refund all ticket holders, corporate hospitality packages, media deals etc, but because the game goes ahead they will not be able to claim against the cancellation insurance. So my theory is simply that the will to play these games at all cost behind closed doors at an alternative venue is not there as it would come with a significant financial cost.

Interesting and much more plausible than some of the more wild theories thrown around.

blackcard wrote: »
    Australia taking out players beyond the ruck frequently

2 high tackle penalties, already, and not a word said to them

Half an hour in Aus have ~85% possession and only 4 points up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

Eod100 wrote: »
    Would cancellation insurance cover an event like a typhoon? Aside from that, I think if it was really down to financial hit, then they could have just absorbed it and taken the hit. Maybe there were added logistic costs too or they thought negative press would be worth it but I think it would be fairly short-sighted if decision was made on cost alone with no other considerations.

It does cover the cancellation for a typhoon but if the game was moved it would by definition not be cancelled.

It can only be financial considerations that cause them not to refix the games. Flying 60 people to Fukuoka to play behind closed doors would not be logistically difficult. Without spectators you would only need a small number of staff at the stadium.

Georgia are visibly tiring. That scrum penalty was pure tired legs on the white side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Double contact on white head from 2 Oz players

No 5 was worse with the shoulder to the head

Georgia are playing a blinder of a defensive game.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

Weepsie wrote: »
    World rugby needs to step in like FIFA if they want the top end of the game to be protected and insist that players called up are released by clubs or clubs risk fines and allow all international teams the same weeks to have training camps.

The problem is you can't stop a player retiring from international rugby. Unless the money is there for the players in the international game, then some will not want to risk their livelihood even if they love their country/their ancestral country. Having an international break would help.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

that has to be a card

has to be a card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭scott1974

sydthebeat wrote: »
    that has to be a card

What about the aussie 5 who also hits him in the head!!

scott1974 wrote: »
    What about the aussie 5 who also hits him in the head!!

Agreed it was totally ignored by the ref

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

could get interesting now, but expect Georgia to collapse in second half

Lucky boy that the initial contact was just about with his arm and not shoulder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Could have been a red as contact was with the head but slid up off the back of another Australian so yellow fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Always a card. Nice talking whinging point for Cheika in the post game interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Georgia are playing a blinder of a defensive game.

Yeah, Georgias defensive structure (no pun intended)

Oh there was no control in that tackle!!

jesus the standard of the georgian passing is deplorable.

simple hands through the line and a player has to jump to take a pass... and from an ensuing ruck the SH passes almost over the head of a lock....

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    jesus the standard of the georgian passing is deplorable.

simple hands through the line and a player has to jump to take a pass... and from an ensuing ruck the SH passes almost over the head of a lock....

That and their overly flat wide line is killing any attacking threat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Australia making a bit of meal of it so far. They'll probably pull away in the second half though.

Ishmael wrote: »
    Australia making a bit of meal of it so far. They'll probably pull away in the second half though.

Let's be fair to Georgia, they are not allowing Australia get any clean or quick ball, and are harrying brilliantly at midfield passes

conditions arent helping and Australia are notorious for being poor in the wet.

Pocock should change his name to Poach-c... actually, his name is fine as it is.

Good play, from Georgia, but don't get sucking into a free flowing game!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Blud wrote: »
    You can guess away at anything you want there buddy.

Firstly, I'm not sitting on a couch. Secondly, I didn't say anyone was ****. Thirdly, I didn't say anyone was undeserving of being anywhere.

The point I was making was that the integrity of the competition was more important than any sense of pride for any individual or their club. I don't particularly care if, as you pointed out, someone had a beer with their hero after the game. This is the World Cup, not a makeawish event.

You mentioned growth of the game in your previous post, and mentioned Namibia and Canada in that post. Those two teams are yet to play each other, but currently stand at 0 points between them and a combined minus 304 points difference. Growth? Really?

In 2015 those teams had a combined 3 points and minus 175 points difference.

In 2011 they had 6 points and minus 308 points difference between them.

In 2007, 2 points and minus 251.

I could go further.

So their level of play isn't improving, and any growth in numbers playing the game in those countries (and I have no idea if there is) isn't making any bit of difference.

That must be some nice beer they were drinking if you think this farce is worth persevering with.

I'll concede that Canada have regressed from the days when they made the 1991 quarter final but I don't think preventing them from playing in future world cups is going to help them.

Namibia (and Japan) have conceded 140 plus points in a RWC match in the past. I think they have improved. Japan has competed at every tournament yet didn't win a match until 2007. Have they improved? Italy and Uruguay have both conceded over 100 points in a world cup match in the past. Have they improved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Oh that is a nasty head collision. Hope they're OK.

Another great Georgian defence and move ending tackle. How long can they keep this up?

epic tash sported by Mr White

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I'll concede that Canada have regressed from the days when they made the 1991 quarter final but I don't think preventing them from playing in future world cups is going to help them.

Namibia (and Japan) have conceded 140 plus points in a RWC match in the past. I think they have improved. Japan has competed at every tournament yet didn't win a match until 2007. Have they improved? Italy and Uruguay have both conceded over 100 points in a world cup match in the past. Have they improved?

To further this, you can't please some people though. Exclude the weaker teams to make a 16 team tournament and suddenly World Rugby are protecting the big teams and excluding the little ones and there's cries that smaller teams never progress.

These teams need to be given the opportunity otherwise they'll simply never improve.

Oh that is a nasty head collision. Hope they're OK.

Even the secondary impact off the ground looked nasty. No life in his eyes for a few moments.

No one wants to see this
    I've been that player in neck stabilisation, which is why I am very vocal about high tackle prevention.

The complete lack of respect for Georgia from the female commentator is embarrassing

On itv

And again... Holy crap Aus can not hold onto the pill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Listening to BBC Radio for this, Cotter probably spends a bit too long waxing lyrical about the size of the players arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

I guess the soapy ball training didn't help Australia much. Fair play to Georgia for keeping themselves in it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Blud wrote: »
    You mentioned growth of the game in your previous post, and mentioned Namibia and Canada in that post. Those two teams are yet to play each other, but currently stand at 0 points between them and a combined minus 304 points difference. Growth? Really?

In 2015 those teams had a combined 3 points and minus 175 points difference.

In 2011 they had 6 points and minus 308 points difference between them.

In 2007, 2 points and minus 251.

I could go further.

So their level of play isn't improving, and any growth in numbers playing the game in those countries (and I have no idea if there is) isn't making any bit of difference.

That must be some nice beer they were drinking if you think this farce is worth persevering with.

Comparing points differences is close to meaningless; they play against different opponents each time a RWC is held.

You allude to it yourself, but growth in playing numbers is a far better metric to judge by. Here's the playing numbers for Canada that are available from their annual reports:

Year | Registered players | Increase
    2012 | 24,595 |
    2013 | 25,941 | 1,346
    2014 | 26,200 | 259
    2015 | 27,568 | 1,368
    2016 | 28,966 | 1,398
    2017 | 29,864 | 898

By far, the lowest increase in numbers is in the year before a Rugby World Cup.

The highest increases are in the years during and after a Rugby World Cup.

There's a reason for that.

This is why people are giving out about teams not being allowed to play, in some fashion. Venue/date swap, behind closed doors... anything.
    The players deserve this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

The Georgia defense coach needs a promotion and the attack coach needs to be sacked.....

The Georgia defense coach needs a promotion and the attack coach needs to be sacked.....

Fairly true but their little game time is not going to give them time to do brilliantly at both.

DA-HAM !!!

thats some solo try

Broken scrappy play, from a great Georgian D-Press, leads to Aus try. Georgia did not deserve that against them

Imagine if Fuji players actually played for Fuji

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

And again... Holy crap Aus can not hold onto the pill.

Always be careful dropping pills :p

• Advertisement

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

Mount Fuji ? :p:p

Was there a pick and rejoin earlier?

About as much chance as Fijifulm cameras returning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

A pretty picture indeed!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Australia might get the tbp so

• Advertisement
Advertisement