Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Eod100 wrote: »
    hahashake wrote: »
    Auto-correct error had me thinking you were talking about social media...

They ran a Facebook competition to get the matched moved but didn't receive the required 15 likes:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Just responding to your point that we should have 24 teams, how would you add 4 more teams in? 4 pools of 6 (too many matches) or 6 pools of 4(awkward number of pools to convert to 8 teams for knockouts).
    6 groups of 4 and you could look at adding an additional knock out round rather than just having quarter finals. Look
    The points about it closing off to growing rugby nations also assume that there actually are teams out there when all evidence points to the contrary.
    Outside of the top 16 teams the standard drops off considerably, and after the top 20 it falls into almost completely amateur territory.
    For example, how much do you think the popularity of rugby in Russia will have grown during this World Cup?
    there is if you watch other rugby beyond the top tier nations playing. Saying it drops to almost complete amateur rugby beyond top 20 just shows ignorance of a lot of rugby globally.
    Bridge93 wrote: »
    The standard of the 24 wouldn’t be a whole lot worse than the 20 when you consider 3 teams better than Russia were disqualified to let them in. The issue will be the 4 new spots won’t all be in Europe, maybe 1 at most. You’ll get cannon fodder from Asia and South America too. Maybe another tiny pacific island or African side
    there is some decent sides in Africa who compete in African nations cup and it woulsnt all be Europe getting spots
    Blud wrote: »
    It's a world cup, not a benefit match. I'm delighted those lads enjoyed their beers, but FFS.
    that's a ridiculous take
    bmcc10 wrote: »
    It's really not that difficult
    any experience running events of any scale then?
    Weepsie wrote: »
    World rugby needs to step in like FIFA if they want the top end of the game to be protected and insist that players called up are released by clubs or clubs risk fines and allow all international teams the same weeks to have training camps.

It would go some snall way in having island nations plundered too youd hope
    world rugby have regulations in place like fifa where players have to be released if selected but when players need the money and international rugby isnt near money they earn from their club/region then they'll just "retire" right before world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Future world cups, 8 groups of three, top 2 qualify and then a last 16, shortens the tournament, gives an opportunity to spread the games a little better with a minimum of 6 days between games. Your giving emerging nations a pop at one of the big teams and then a chance to scuttle a tier 2 nation. It's not ideal and you'd still have 2 or 3 last 16 games that were predictable but every single game would have merit and be important.

Would need a good contingency plan in the event of poor weather or natural disaster though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I knew you meant McCaw, but I thought GOAT stood for Going Off his feet All the Time

He may have been marginally offside occasionally but he did not go off his feet!!

Just trying to get a few early shots in before the proper build up to Ireland's quarter final humiliation at the hands of the Blackness 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

duffman13 wrote: »
    Future world cups, 8 groups of three, top 2 qualify and then a last 16, shortens the tournament, gives an opportunity to spread the games a little better with a minimum of 6 days between games.

this-could-workthis.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    How so? Just look at the Irish team. In the 90s they kept showing up in the 6 Nations despite repeated failure. For 111 years, they busted their arses in 28 matches against the ABs without success. Should they have just quit?

Exactly! Really annoyed at many comments that I've read dismissing the Italians' genuine grievance by saying they wouldn't have won anyway.
    Agreed. It's not as if we have any hope ourselves of beating them. We are already making a big job of emerging from the group stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Dunno if it’s been mentioned already but France sent Thomas Ramos home last week injured. He’s playing for Toulouse this weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

They may consider doing that..........for maybe as long as 10 seconds. Utter nonsense.

The utter nonsense was to stage this World Cup in Japan in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Because 2 games were cancelled, they should cancel the whole thing? And restage it 2 years before the next RWC in France, 2023 a few months after the Lions tour? Legitimate criticism is deserved but this hyperbole achieves nothing
    Who cares about the lions? The World Cup should take precedence over the lions everytime. The lions is outdated nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I'd be all for a world cup every two years and no more lions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Future world cups, 8 groups of three, top 2 qualify and then a last 16, shortens the tournament, gives an opportunity to spread the games a little better with a minimum of 6 days between games. Your giving emerging nations a pop at one of the big teams and then a chance to scuttle a tier 2 nation. It's not ideal and you'd still have 2 or 3 last 16 games that were predictable but every single game would have merit and be important.

Would need a good contingency plan in the event of poor weather or natural disaster though
    8 groups of 3 with 2 qualifying would be horrible. One win and into knockouts would be terrible.
    I'd be all for a world cup every two years and no more lions
    that would be terrible. Lions isnt going anywhere and shouldn't. We need more games for next level below 6 nations sides and rugby championship sides to improve but not just by having a world cup every two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Who cares about the lions? The World Cup should take precedence over the lions everytime. The lions is outdated nonsense.

But holding it 2 years before a RWC is realistic? Right..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    My mistake. Sorry. I was using GOAT as Greatest Of All Time (McCaw) rather than Generally Overrated, Alright Tackler (Drico).

:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkEaBSmxjT8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

8 pools of an odd number of teams would mean a team in each pool would get a bye each week for three weeks.
    Would be as well off to have 8 pools of 4 in that case.
    Either way the pools would be mostly uncompetitive.
    Spectators would have very little interest in the entire pool stage so it would be a costly 3 weeks for the hosts before the knockouts begin.

Would be better off having 32 teams, with a preliminary playoff round between the teams seeded 9-16 vs 17-24, and then splitting it into two 16 team tournaments, “A” and “B”.

Both tournaments could have 4 pools of 4, and all the knockouts could track each other so that the “A” and “B” finals could take place on the same day.

Much more competitive rugby and teams get meaningful matches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

TheCitizen wrote: »

Ignoring your nonsensical rant about the Lions do you seriously think there is the remotest chance that this WC would be abandoned a week before the QFs are due to be played and restaged in Europe 2 years before France 2023 takes place? Get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Anyone surprised that Ken Owens avoided a citing for his yellow against Fiji? Though it could easily have been red

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

The vast majority are blaming World Rugby, to be honest.

And nobody is blaming anyone for the typhoon. I mean, the All Blacks are very good at rugby, but summoning typhoons? That's some next level ****.

Let's not be too hasty here, regarding the summoning of typhoons.

1)15 men dressed in black.
    2)They form themselves into a Pyramid on sacred ground.
    3)They start chanting some ritual incantation that none of us understand.
    4)This incantation is accompanied by a ritual dance.

If westerns(films) have thought me anything about Indian rain dances,well,this crowd of A.B.'s are showing us some next generation weather sh1t!

Our water carrier better be supplied from Knock, or some holy well, if we run into these lads! Did you ever, in your life, see 3 brothers score tries in a w.c. tie? It's an unholy trinity if ever there was such a possibility!

p.s.

On a serious note,hoping fans and locals come to no harm due to weather this weekend. Mind yourselves and each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

There is a serious amount of wind here in Fukuoka and are 1000km from Tokyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Boscoirl wrote: »
    There is a serious amount of wind here in Fukuoka and are 1000km from Tokyo

Yup in Fukuoka also and watching news here showing homes flooded already and four towns evacuated near tokyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

https://twitter.com/jrfumedia/status/1182846004782977024?s=21

Japan team going training this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Its only a game of sport . More important stuff to be worrying about .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Boscoirl wrote: »

Mmm, with all those electrical boxes and cabling in that water it wasn't the cleverest to go wading in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

blinding wrote: »
    Its only a game of sport . More important stuff to be worrying about .

Not sure you'll find one person claiming that safety isn't paramount. People are attacking the lack of contingency, nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

I thought I heard that the Japan game had no chance of going ahead as the typhoon is worse than expected and we top the group in that instance if we get the bonus point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

votecounts wrote: »
    I thought I heard that the Japan game had no chance of going ahead as the typhoon is worse than expected and we top the group in that instance if we get the bonus point.

No AFAIK they would because we'd be level on points and they beat us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Is the Irish game definitely going ahead,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Aye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Just saw some video from the Japanese captain's run today. On the basis of that it's hard to see that Scotland Japan going ahead.

• Advertisement

No dedicated match thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

No AFAIK they would because we'd be level on points and they beat us[/QUOTE
    Thats what I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

We should see if we can push for it not to happen. Say we want to be to sure and sure isn't it all about safety.

We would end up vs NZ anyway and at least we would be as fresh as the NZ side.

Not exactly a great tactic but this competition has been a farce so far. I understand why games can't go ahead at originally planned times/locations but for them not to go ahead at all is ridiculous. Added to that the referees have been a complete horror show and the pitch didn't seem to be a great state for tomorrow.

I get rugby is growing but it will absolutely be in spite of this competition. Not because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Eddie reckons the RWC is on a par with the Olympics and the FIFA World Cup.... What's he smoking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Eddie reckons the RWC is on a par with the Olympics and the FIFA World Cup.... What's he smoking?

It is for me anyway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

bilston wrote: »
    Just saw some video from the Japanese captain's run today. On the basis of that it's hard to see that Scotland Japan going ahead.

Weather wise there is no reason why the game won't go ahead tomorrow.

What we don't know is if the infrastructure will be good enough for:
    * Stadium to host match
    * Teams + TV + Staff can get to stadium
    * fans can get to stadium

Hence why they are not making decision until tomorrow morning...

• Advertisement

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Weather wise there is no reason why the game won't go ahead tomorrow.

What we don't know is if the infrastructure will be good enough for:
    * Stadium to host match
    * Teams + TV + Staff can get to stadium
    * fans can get to stadium

Hence why they are not making decision until tomorrow morning...

Honestly, fans aren't needed at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

On holidays in Iceland with only phone data to get the match. At the moment all I can get to work well is tuneitin. Tried RTE player but just getting a black screen, can anyone tell me is it my data or the app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

It's really not too bad here in Tokyo the worst is over now there is no reason why it shouldn't go ahead tomorrow most of the videos you'll see are from Chiba and the coastal areas where it hit most. The mainland is windy with slight rain now nothing extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

bmcc10 wrote: »
    It's really not too bad here in Tokyo the worst is over now there is no reason why it shouldn't go ahead tomorrow most of the videos you'll see are from Chiba and the coastal areas where it hit most. The mainland is windy with slight rain now nothing extreme.

There was an earthquake today too

https://twitter.com/andNickMullins/status/1182955375462506496?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Blown way out of proportion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Please lord tomorrows game will go ahead and Scotland win. I knw it's not fair for Japan to go out but meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭kal7

Missing england and france knocking lumps out if each other, this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Please lord tomorrows game will go ahead and Scotland win. I knw it's not fair for Japan to go out but meh

I'd like a Scottish win without a tbp and Japan getting lbp. Japan come 2nd, Scots out. Nothing against Scots just think Japan deserve it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Japs don’t deserve it any more or less than anyone else if they don’t get the business done. All will have lost a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'd like a Scottish win without a tbp and Japan getting lbp. Japan come 2nd, Scots out. Nothing against Scots just think Japan deserve it

Would agree with this, I'd like to see the hosts go through and Japan are a great team to watch when they're playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Absolute state of Flatman and ITV reporting on the weather. Said they’re in lockdown in the hotel yet he’s on the street with his jacket open getting soaked for the sake of what they think is good VT. clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

razorblunt wrote: »
    Absolute state of Flatman and ITV reporting on the weather. Said they’re in lockdown in the hotel yet he’s on the street with his jacket open getting soaked for the sake of what they think is good VT. clowns.
    If they are on lockdown it's not being enforced that well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement