Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Reacher Series (Amazon)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think I would go with Kevin Durant a big guy and very decent actor and looks tough as fcuk and also looks like he could charm you.

MV5BMTg4MjE3ODI2OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODI3MjUxNA@@._V1_.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Anyone over 6 foot should be tall enough to play him, the missing inches can be used with clothing or camera trickery.

Tom Cruise simply took the p*ss in being ... ... *googles* ... 5'6"!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

pixelburp wrote: »
    Anyone over 6 foot should be tall enough to play him, the missing inches can be used with clothing or camera trickery.

Camera trickery or wardrobe trickery could work!

nintchdbpict000374214415.jpg

Jackie Reacher played by 6ft 3 Gwendoline Christie.

Joking aside, make a Reacher-ish character show, starring her, and I would watch the sh1t out of it.

pixelburp wrote: »

I'm fvcking sorted so; just need to gain back loads of muscle and lose the fat and, you know, learn to act (even a little)

• Advertisement

I think I would go with Kevin Durant a big guy and very decent actor and looks tough as fcuk and also looks like he could charm you.

MV5BMTg4MjE3ODI2OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODI3MjUxNA@@._V1_.jpg

I always loved his 100% grade A ham performance, in SG1, back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder if Stephen Amell could do it, but I don't know how busy the show with Robbie will keep him

• Registered Users Posts: 86,709 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Adam Copeland (WWE Edge), he has the height

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Adam Copeland (WWE Edge), he has the height

Even angry looking he doesn't exude menace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Wonder what the google algorithm is thinking about me checking all these height measurements...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I was chatting to a colleague of mine who is a big jack Reacher fan. He reckons that Lee Child used the image of Richard Marcinko- who he kept a poster of on his wall where he wrote- as the inspiration for the Jack Reacher character. Marcinko is 80 now but was a Navy Seal:

500293.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Marcinko

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Richard_Marcinko

Slydice wrote: »
    Wonder what the google algorithm is thinking about me checking all these height measurements...

The annoying thing is I'm Used to heights in feet and inches so always have to specify "Stephen Amell height in feet".
    The on those Wired autocomplete interviews on youtube, those kinds of searches are asked the person is confused wondering of they want to know about them barefoot

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What about Chris's older brother Luke from Westworld

He’s about Tom Cruise’s height - google a photo of the 3 brothers together. Must have been a shortage of nutrition!

Richard Marcinko

In the Younger photo.. Tom Cruise might have been a close choice for looks

In the older video.. he kinda looks like the last time I rememberr seeing Steven Seagal

Well Lee Child has just announced he has quit writing the Reacher books and his younger brother writer Andrew Grant will now be writing them going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

He's been appointed a judge on the Booker Prize. No idea if that has influenced his decision though.

Just out from watching Bad Boys and after watching it I think Alexander Ludwig could pull off Reacher the guy is jacked and Vikings is finished so he could be looking for a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭wally79

Just out from watching Bad Boys and after watching it I think Alexander Ludwig could pull off Reacher the guy is jacked and Vikings is finished so he could be looking for a job.

Too young

Unless they give him the reverse Irishman

wally79 wrote: »
    Too young

Unless they give him the reverse Irishman

Reacher was 36 in the first book having a 28 year play him could work out if the they get 5/6/7 seasons out of Reacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Well Lee Child has just announced he has quit writing the Reacher books and his younger brother writer Andrew Grant will now be writing them going forward.

Co-writing the next few I think before Andrew takes over the reigns.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Co-writing the next few I think before Andrew takes over the reigns.

So going to do a James Patterson on it then and get someone else to write your books and stick a co writer name on it to help sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think Lee cares too much about Reacher to be as hands-off as Patterson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I mentioned in a different thread, but Daniel Cudmore would be my pick. He played Master Chief in the Halo 4 live action shorts, and was Colossus in Xmen - Days of Future Past.

I mentioned in a different thread, but Daniel Cudmore would be my pick. He played Master Chief in the Halo 4 live action shorts, and was Colossus in Xmen - Days of Future Past.

*googles* Yep!

Either this or a Terminator role! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Slydice wrote: »
    *googles* Yep!

Either this or a Terminator role! :eek:

Yeah never heard of him before I saw that Halo 4 - Forward Unto Dawn and even though he was in a suit for the entire thing, he was good. Then I watched a behind the scenes thing on youtube on some of the stunts, and it was mentioned that hes 6ft 6 and strong build, so I immediately thought he'd be a good jack reacher.

The Rock was doing a Q&A on Facebook today and said the one role he regrets not getting and losing out on Reacher to Tom Cruise.

He said he was made for that role however understands that Crusie was the biggest box office draw in the world back then and he as just finding his feet.

Losing out on that role opened the door to Fast Five for him though he said.

Watched his video last night about that. Only read a few of the books so far but while Tom was too small, wouldn't the Rock be too big? Though he does have the shoulders for all the shrugging he would have to do.
    Has he done any roles similar where he gets to be serious? Maybe Walking Tall though I barely remember that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The Rock would be a terrible choice.

Look, here’s my take. Physical attributes of an actor are not that important. You can fake height if needed, and most actors can achieve a wirey physique pretty easily.

What you need to think about is that Reacher is a largely silent character who has a noisy internal monologue going most of the time. When you translate this to TV/movies, this means you need an actor who is excellent at acting with just their face. An action beefcake like The Rock is never going to pull off that kind of subtlety. I actually love the McQuarrie/Cruise movie because I think that while Cruise obviously doesn’t match what Reacher looked like in my head, he got the rest of the character nailed down. He’s a silent, sarcastic man with an inner intensity constantly bubbling away.

The alternative is that you try and find the right actor to portray the image of Reacher, and then place him in a TV show that isn’t like the Reacher stories - amp up the action and just be constant fights and gunfire. Not what I’d want from the show, but it could still be entertaining for some.

I look at what Amazon did with Bosch and I think that’s the right pattern for success. Distill the character down to their most important attributes (tenacity, detail oriented, a bit of an asshole) and then cast someone who can play that well(iver) even if they look nothing like the book character. Keep the *story* intact the most. Physicality mattered much less to Bosch than Reacher, but it’s still the right path for any adaptation imo.

MJohnston wrote: »
    The Rock would be a terrible choice.

Look, here’s my take. Physical attributes of an actor are not that important. You can fake height if needed, and most actors can achieve a wirey physique pretty easily.

What you need to think about is that Reacher is a largely silent character who has a noisy internal monologue going most of the time. When you translate this to TV/movies, this means you need an actor who is excellent at acting with just their face. An action beefcake like The Rock is never going to pull off that kind of subtlety. I actually love the McQuarrie/Cruise movie because I think that while Cruise obviously doesn’t match what Reacher looked like in my head, he got the rest of the character nailed down. He’s a silent, sarcastic man with an inner intensity constantly bubbling away.

The alternative is that you try and find the right actor to portray the image of Reacher, and then place him in a TV show that isn’t like the Reacher stories - amp up the action and just be constant fights and gunfire. Not what I’d want from the show, but it could still be entertaining for some.

I look at what Amazon did with Bosch and I think that’s the right pattern for success. Distill the character down to their most important attributes (tenacity, detail oriented, a bit of an asshole) and then cast someone who can play that well(iver) even if they look nothing like the book character. Keep the *story* intact the most. Physicality mattered much less to Bosch than Reacher, but it’s still the right path for any adaptation imo.

Reacher is defined by his size. It influences almost everything he does, from his fighting style to how he gets information (by sheer presence)

It causes him to be over confident at times too, assuming that others will be intimidated by his size and almost got him killed in a fight.

They could have gotten anyone over 1.85m and made it work through camera angles and casting slightly less than average height cast-mates.

And I like the Reacher films (both of them) but they could have been called "Action MP" for all they really had to do with Reacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Reacher is defined by his size. It influences almost everything he does, from his fighting style to how he gets information (by sheer presence)

As an avid reader of the books, I have to disagree. I think Reacher is defined by his training and his upbringing. I don’t ever read them and imagine him as especially physically imposing. For him to be a physical specimen kind of doesn’t gel with how Child has people constantly thinking they can take him on. There’s also times when Reacher encounters character who are physically imposing, like Paulie in Persuader, and it’s played like they’re bigger than him. I get that there are literal physical descriptions of Reacher in certain books, but for me the defining trait is that his military training, along with a certain supernatural X-factor that only protagonists can possess, is why he’s so dangerous.

Advertisement