Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Reacher Series (Amazon)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

MJohnston wrote: »
    As an avid reader of the books, I have to disagree. I think Reacher is defined by his training and his upbringing. I don’t ever read them and imagine him as especially physically imposing. For him to be a physical specimen kind of doesn’t gel with how Child has people constantly thinking they can take him on. There’s also times when Reacher encounters character who are physically imposing, like Paulie in Persuader, and it’s played like they’re bigger than him. I get that there are literal physical descriptions of Reacher in certain books, but for me the defining trait is that his military training, along with a certain supernatural X-factor that only protagonists can possess, is why he’s so dangerous.

We all create book charachters in our heads and if we forget the initial descriptions or start a series not from the first book we can offer modify the character from how they were written. Game if thrones is interesting because some of the TV charachters will never be right for me and some the image in my brain got changed by the actors.

In my head he's a monster and this is how Lee Child used to describe him in interviews.
    So, he’s an ex–military officer, he’s American, he’s alienated, he struggles to participate effectively in civilian society, and he has a plain name.

And he’s huge.

He’s six feet five inches tall, and around two hundred and fifty pounds, all of it muscle. In Tripwire, after he’s been doing physical labor in the sun for a spell, he’s described as looking “like a condom stuffed with walnuts.” No one in his right mind would mess with him. I had in mind the kind of intimidating physical presence that pro footballers have—relaxed, utterly sure of themselves—but in Reacher’s case with a barely visible hint of danger. (In fact, in One Shot, he admits to having played football for Army while at West Point, but that his career was limited to only one game. “Why?” someone asks. “Were you injured?” “No,” he replies. “I was too violent.”

People mess with him because they have to and because they are criminal bullies but not because they think he's a push over.

don't get the huge backlash about the height thing, at the time, or now.

Cruise did a reasonable job.

Much more important to have an actor who is a decent actor and can he move well and convincingly

Read a number of the books but they are pretty crappy books and even in the same genre there are much better books e.g. "orphan x", "victor the assassin" etc.

This sh1t about him buying a new pair of jocks everyday lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

glasso wrote: »
    don't get the huge backlash about the height thing, at the time, or now.

Cruise did a reasonable job.

Much more important to have an actor who is a decent actor and can he move well and convincingly

Read a number of the books but they are pretty crappy books and even in the same genre there are much better books e.g. "orphan x", "victor the assassin" etc.

This sh1t about him buying a new pair of jocks everyday lol

So what you are saying is : you don't really like the Reacher books, you don't buy into the premise of a person with no belongings and you think a 11 inch shorter and 40% lighter man in a 2 grand leather jacket is the same basic concept.

Cruise is a good actor but why he thought he wanted to be Jack Reacher God knows. The films are ok but as was said earlier could just be generic MP action hero.

Its the difference between Bond and Hunt and since Cruise saw he'd never be bond he became Hunt.

I've read a broad range of books in the genre and I don't think that they are amongst the best in the genre...

you don't really notice for example the height deficit in the movie due to good cinematography and choreography

most big budget action movie leads / stars are on the shorter side - certainly the majority are under 6 feet.

acting ability and on-screen charisma are far more important imo

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Because of this talk, I'm finally watching Never Go Back.
    Decent enough so far

• Advertisement

but seriously, if you like this type of escapist writing, I'd recommend giving the "Victor the assassin" and "Orphan X" series a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Alan Ritchson has got the role

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

the guy from Smallville and Titans? cool.... He's a likable chap (from comic con interviews) with the physique needed....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I was like "is that who I think it is?" And yes, it's the large bruiser looking fellow. Guy can act too, has a bit of charisma about him too so it's a good pick.

IIRC he was the flashback version of Hitchcock in Brooklyn 99 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

He's certainly what I imagined Reacher would look like reading some of the books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Blue Mountain State, hes a gas man but he can act and has the attributes for the the role

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

He was great in Blood Drive too

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

the guy from Smallville and Titans? cool.... He's a likable chap (from comic con interviews) with the physique needed....

Yes Alan Ritchson from Titans and Blood Drive

Still-of-Alan-Ritchson-1024x683.jpg

He's been appointed a judge on the Booker Prize. No idea if that has influenced his decision though.

Lee Child of Jack Reacher spam-book fame on the Booker Prize jury.

ok....

Lee Child of Jack Reacher spam-book fame on the Booker Prize jury.

ok....

They're not serious books, they're a bit of escapism fun. Like a Rocky movie, well crafted for what they are. I think everyone that reads them accepts this. For every Reacher book I read I read a good few "serious" books. But a bit of popcorn is good every now and then!

John_Rambo wrote: »
    They're not serious books, they're a bit of escapism fun. Like a Rocky movie, well crafted for what they are. I think everyone that reads them accepts this. For every Reacher book I read I read a good few "serious" books. But a bit of popcorn is good every now and then!

look I agree.

but the Booker prize is quite the opposite type of book really so a bit strange imo that he's on the jury for that.

look I agree.

but the Booker prize is quite the opposite type of book really so a bit strange imo that he's on the jury for that.

Fair enough! Didn't mean to come across confrontational, sorry. I guess they're trying to consider more popular reads and a bigger cross section of genres in to the fold. Maybe Lee Child churns out this stuff whilst reading Gravity's Rainbow for some down time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

6ft2 but look looks a lot taller and has a presence of a big powerful man with that All American square jawed you won't fcuk me look, a very good choice I must say on top of being a decent actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the books span a lot of time but how old is Reacher supposed to be?

36 at the start of the book series.

• Advertisement

has anyone tried the "Victor the Assassin" books?

Personally find them better than JR

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

pixelburp wrote: »
    I was like "is that who I think it is?" And yes, it's the large bruiser looking fellow. Guy can act too, has a bit of charisma about him too so it's a good pick.
    He does particularly well in 'Titans' managing to do scenes against the acting vacuum that is Minka "Dove" Kelly.

Minka Kelly is a charisma black-hole. She ruined that show
    She seemed more of a robotic android than the android characters, in Almost Human

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ixoy wrote: »
    He does particularly well in 'Titans' managing to do scenes against the acting vacuum that is Minka "Dove" Kelly.

Oh she's one factor in why I gave up on that show. She's emblematic of "that" type of female lead casting in US TV. Could be a breakout role for Ritchson if the show does well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

The Rock would be a terrible choice.

Look, here’s my take. Physical attributes of an actor are not that important. You can fake height if needed, and most actors can achieve a wirey physique pretty easily.

What you need to think about is that Reacher is a largely silent character who has a noisy internal monologue going most of the time. When you translate this to TV/movies, this means you need an actor who is excellent at acting with just their face. An action beefcake like The Rock is never going to pull off that kind of subtlety. I actually love the McQuarrie/Cruise movie because I think that while Cruise obviously doesn’t match what Reacher looked like in my head, he got the rest of the character nailed down. He’s a silent, sarcastic man with an inner intensity constantly bubbling away.

The alternative is that you try and find the right actor to portray the image of Reacher, and then place him in a TV show that isn’t like the Reacher stories - amp up the action and just be constant fights and gunfire. Not what I’d want from the show, but it could still be entertaining for some.

I look at what Amazon did with Bosch and I think that’s the right pattern for success. Distill the character down to their most important attributes (tenacity, detail oriented, a bit of an asshole) and then cast someone who can play that well(iver) even if they look nothing like the book character. Keep the *story* intact the most. Physicality mattered much less to Bosch than Reacher, but it’s still the right path for any adaptation imo.

This is well said for the most part but you can't ever get away from the physical description of Reacher. Its literally the hook Child went for. Who arrests the hardest i.e. Seals, Berets ? The MPs'. I love the character and the books but the last few have been pretty bad. He's this mythical superman now going around killing with abandon before leaving town and a love interest behind. I saw the next one is going to be co-written with his son. Feck that.

As you say a lot of the book Reacher was internal dialogue. Thats hard to replicate on screen. The first one was watchable as an action movie in its own right. Never go back was atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think the McQuarrie Reacher film is an action classic, like Die Hard levels of just pure enjoyability and so rewatchable. I’ve never seen Never Go Back.

I think the McQuarrie Reacher film is an action classic, like Die Hard levels of just pure enjoyability and so rewatchable. I’ve never seen Never Go Back.

The sequel felt like a mid-budget TV pilot, made surreal by Cruise running around within it. It looked cheap, from direction to sets to set pieces. The plot was very "who cares" to be honest. Had the air of being made purely to retain the cinematic rights and nothing else.

The movies were grand Tom Cruise action movies however they felt more like Ethan Hunt finding himself walking across America than Reacher from the books for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

That dude is deceptively good. I read an interview where he spoke his career early on and the struggles, and you can really tell that he put that into his performance on Titans.

• Advertisement

The rest of the cast is coming together now.
    iZombie alum Malcolm Goodwin, Willa Fitzgerald (Scream) and Chris Webster (The Most Dangerous Game) have been tapped as series regulars opposite Alan Ritchson in the upcoming Amazon original series Jack Reacher, based on the character from Lee Child’s international bestselling books.

Ritchson stars as the title character in the series, produced by Amazon Studios, Skydance Television and Paramount Television Studios. The first season, written, exec produced and showrun by Nick Santora, is based on the first Jack Reacher novel, The Killing Floor, which is set in Georgia.

Goodwin will star as Chief Detective Oscar Finlay, a Harvard-educated, tweed suit-wearing Northerner, Finlay has recently relocated to the small town of Margrave, Georgia to take a job in the Margrave Police department.

Fitzgerald stars as Roscoe Conklin who was born and raised in Margrave, Georgia and is a smart and proud officer in the Margrave Police Department. She is resilient and is intimidated by nothing and no one.

Webster stars as KJ, the spoiled son of businessman and town benefactor Kliner. KJ thinks the town and townspeople, especially Roscoe, belong to him.

https://deadline.com/2021/03/reacher-malcolm-goodwin-willa-fitzgerald-chris-webster-cast-alan-ritchson-amazon-1234719393/

Advertisement