Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Reacher Series (Amazon)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Without going through everything.. .

Is this basically an anthology series with a different cast, except Ritchson, each season?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,558 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Without going through everything.. .

Is this basically an anthology series with a different cast, except Ritchson, each season?

Yes.

Alan Ritchson
    “It’s funny, I actually didn’t get the role at first. I’m not exactly six foot five and I’m not exactly 250, and I had heard that they were being very specific with their physical demands. After working with Tom Cruise and a lot of fans being upset that he didn’t really have the physicality, as great as he was in the role, they really wanted to get that right. I was like, ‘Well, they wanna read me, but I know they’re gonna find someone like Dwayne Johnson, who’s a huge dude.’ I auditioned for the part and it was good, it was just that my take on it was a little different than what they had in mind, at the time.”
    “There was a shake-up with who was casting, so they started again from scratch, and I’d already been passed on, as had everybody who did an audition. But when they came back around, they picked a few tapes that they’d seen already, and I was one of them, so they wanted me to come back and try again, and it worked out. The closer I got to that, the more familiar I became with the Reacher stuff. I’ve really fallen in love. I’ve read the books now and Reacher has some big shoes to fill, metaphorically speaking. I’m just so thrilled to be a part of it. It’s my favorite character that I’ve played yet.”
    “I don’t know how much I can say. I’ll say that we’re gonna be doing a book a season, so the first season will be the first book. I think that’s such a great way to do this. I can see why it’d be exciting as a film, but the slow burn is what I love so much about the books. The way that he goes down the checklist and picks apart these cases, you need time. It’s okay to enjoy that. I think spending a season on each book is gonna be really enjoyable for audiences.”
    “I was overwhelmed when I found out that it had gone my way. It had been months of pursuing it and campaigning and just continuing to fight the fight. There are a lot of cooks in the kitchen. There are a lot of different studios and different producers and executives. I’ve been in the business for a long time, but you just don’t know everybody. There’s a level of educating people as to who you are and convincing people that you’re the guy. It was a lot of work and my team did a really great job. My manager had a huge hand in that. So, when it happened, by the time we’d gotten to the end and it was there, I started to feel like maybe it was gonna happen, but it was overwhelming to find out, for sure. It’s a big character and a huge property, so it’s not lost on me, what it is. I’m thrilled.”

https://collider.com/jack-reacher-tv-series-star-alan-ritchson-interview/

Just re-watched "Jack Reacher" 2012 - the cruiser did a great job despite all the whinging and whining about his langer not being long enough or whatever and Werner Herzog was suitably eerie as "the Zec"

worth a re-watch if you've forgotten most of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

glasso wrote: »
    Just re-watched "Jack Reacher" 2012 - the cruiser did a great job despite all the whinging and whining about his langer not being long enough or whatever and Werner Herzog was suitably eerie as "the Zec"

The second one "Never Go Back" was pretty bad though. The source material is one of the weaker books too, I can't understand why they chose it.

Big fan of Bruce McGill and I think he fits into a Reacher story well.
    Bruce McGill (Rizzoli & Isles), Maria Sten (Swamp Thing) and Hugh Thompson (Chapelwaite) have been tapped as series regulars opposite Alan Ritchson in the upcoming Amazon original series Reacher, based on the Jack Reacher character from Lee Child’s international bestselling books.

Ritchson stars as the title character in the series, produced by Amazon Studios, Skydance Television and Paramount Television Studios. The first season, written, exec produced and showrun by Nick Santora, is based on the first Jack Reacher novel, The Killing Floor, which is set in Georgia.

McGill will play Mayor Teale, the distinguished mayor of Margrave, who comes from a long line of Southern gentlemen who have run Margrave for decade.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/reacher-bruce-mcgill-maria-sten-hugh-thompson-alan-ritchson-amazon-series-1234759869/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Great bad guy - coincidentally I literally just finished watching Collateral again for the first time in years. Solid bit of McGill in that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Heckler

As a fan of the books especially the older ones (I think the last 5 or so have been bad) I was initially disappointed with Cruise as Reacher but have to admit the film wasn't bad at all. The follow up was terrible though. Book was poor and a baffling choice for another film.

I've never seen Alan Ritchson in anything but after a google for me he's more like my image of Reacher. Same age as Reacher in the first books too.

I think the hardest thing to get across from the books on film is Reachers internal thoughts and how he processes problems and solutions. Need to figure a way to do this effectively on screen.

Some very violent scenes in Killing Floor too. I hope these aren't watered down as I think they are integral to Reachers character. This needs violence like Cinemax Banshee/Strike back.

Really hoping this delivers. Its a franchise that would benefit from a series as opposed to a bunch of movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Internal monologue, thoughts or just narration are things a lot of book adaptations have trouble with. Tends to result in info dumping. I guess one example would be the the Robert Langdon films. Langdon would figure something out and the text in the book can explain to the reader how he did it, but in the films, Langdon needs someone he can explain it all to.
    The other option is a voiceover. And then there would be some flashbacks.
    I'm just getting through them now and finished book 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The other option is just to leave things unspoken until you can’t anymore. Keep it all internal and let the actor sell that. But that’s maybe a bit too much of an HBO approach for something like Amazon Prime, though I’ve really enjoyed their Bosch adaptation which doesn’t always feel the need to say things aloud.

The McQuarrie Reacher movie was absolutely excellent at delivering exposition, that sequence at the start with Oyelowo just listing off Reacher’s credentials was a masterful example of how to do it.

The other thing is that Reacher has become decreasingly internal as the books have gone on, and anyway, there has always been some secondary character, usually a woman, around for him to talk things through with.

And unlike a Dan Brown novel where they have to give the entire history of an artifact, etc. to explain things, with Reacher things are just explained by people knowing his record

Kristin Kreuk (Smallville, Beauty & the Beast), Marc Bendavid (Dark Matter, Good Witch) Willie C. Carpenter (Devious Maids, Brawl in Cell Block 99), Currie Graham (Murder in the First), Harvey Guillén (What We Do in the Shadows) and Maxwell Jenkins (Lost in Space) join the cast

REacher.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

glasso wrote: »

I hadn’t read the books but was aware of the complaint that Cruise was too small and that Reacher needs to be intimidating just to look at but the first movie is fantastic stuff. All the action is superb but that fight in the house is just legend.

I like the second one. Just the first is better.

And Herzog could make a shopping at Lidl ad seem like the answer to the question of the meaning of life. :p

Looking forward to this series. I came to ask if they are adapting the books or tell a new story but that question was answered.

When can we expect this online?

With casting being announced I thought maybe it was filming at the moment but the comment from Ritchson that Reacher is his favourite character to have played made it seem like he has wrapped the first season. And casting announcements often come after the actors have been on set a whole and sometimes even after they have finished.

Brilliant Guillermo is in it :)

Anytime I see that Currie Graham in something, I think it's Kevin Spacey at first.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Anytime I see that Currie Graham in something, I think it's Kevin Spacey at first.

And I think Peter Serafinowicz

Starts February 4th

Oh he looks like Reacher just like I pictured

Ohhhhh that looks tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That put a big smile on my face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

That looks very good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I've only read one of the books because tbh I found Reacher himself to be an incredibly dull character. I enjoyed the first movie, this looks like they've given him a bit more personality (based off the one book I read).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭finglashoop

do amazon drop a whole series in one go??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hey, that looks like a bit of fun; good energy coming off the trailer, seems to be happy to snark at how ludicrous its lead is. Never read the books but I can understand why that Reacher is a better fit than Tom Cruise.

Sometimes. Like The Boys and Wheel of Time are weekly but Hanna was all at once. Alex Rider will probably be all at once tomorrow. Will see

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Now Just Hold on ONE MINUTE!

That looks exactly like the Jack Reacher I remember people describing in old threads all over the place!

Wow! Hawke from Titans (Alan Ritchson) .. really does look and feel the part that people had kinda built up in my head!

Who's listed as Directing/Writing? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9288030/fullcredits

Director: Lin Oeding (imdb) - lots of stunt work and director experience in Colony, Warrior, Cabra Kai! and Rotten Tomatoes points to a film called Braven with Jason Mamoa at 77% critics and 74% audience

Well that's sounds like the right direction

Then the non-book-writer, non-producer-writer is Aadrita Mukerji who has some Supergirl, some Scorpion experience but only a selection of the episodes (22 & 25) so difficult to guage. Would need to be more familiar with individual episodes. The vague feel I get there is just around a warner brothers career.

He's bulked up something fierce, for this.

This looks like a Reacher who people are afraid to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

It's out now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,629 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Oh no way! I met Aadrita a couple years ago, went to see Wind River together. Very nice, and a good writer.

Advertisement