Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Reacher Series (Amazon)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Might give it a shot however I will watch the first couple tomorrow afternoon.

Cracking first episode.

This is Reacher!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Oh that’s good AG! I was raging when TC was cast, I ended up enjoying the movies, but as action movies, nothing in my head felt it was a Jack Reacher movie. Casting looks good for this, can’t wait now for tonight.

Oh yeah episode 2 really makes this Reacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I enjoyed the books up to Past Tense, and its just lost its way. Reviews for the next in series Blue Moon put me off and ive just given up on the series.

I'll be checking out the TV Series later to see if its any good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

They've nailed it. Excellent casting & adapted screenplay. Very very rarely do you get a screenplay close to a book.

Jesus, it's perfect so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Excellent first 2 episodes, at last we have our Reacher

Alan Ritchson is Reacher!

Reacher Violence at it best..

8 episodes is the perfect lenght for a season of this.

A few minor changes from book starting episode 4 onwards and character not in the The Killing Floor appears however I'm ok with it..

Neagley brought in early probably as a recurring character for the rest of the seasons to give Reacher a connection that wasn't seen in the early books.

Fantastic season and so fun and easy to watch just like reading the early books and the childhood flashbacks were great.

Amazon have done a great job with there two adaptations of popular crime/thriller books with Bosch and this.

Bosch was fantastic. Loving this.

I got my Prime for Picard and WoT, who would have thought that the thing keeping me would be a first time Bosch run through (only finished last month) and now Reacher

• Advertisement

Amazon also now have the Alex Cross coming up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Enjoyed the first episode some bits felt like they were trying too hard to make Reacher cool like when he's walking around prison with the sunglasses but maybe it's being loyal to the book which I haven't read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Haven't seen it yet but am delighted to hear some positive comments. I really want this to be good after, as a fan of the books, some disappointing trailers (for me).

The sunglasses have nothing to do with trying to make Reacher look cool. Its to do with status and how he got them........In the books anyhow.

Looking forward to my american cousins sending on the VHS.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Really enjoyed first two, bit forced first few mins but really eased into it. Brilliant casting, actually going to go back and read Killing Floor again! Fight scenes very good, actually had to look away it was so graphic.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

4 in, brilliant so far

Ah interesting. It just felt a bit try hard and corny but then I guess the books are corny or at least cornier than I thought. My first exposure to Reacher was the Cruise film which was quite gritty and serious and as much as people complained about his height, Cruise is more than capable of doing "cool without even trying". If it's being loyal to the books than I guess I'll just have to enjoy the ride 😁

Ah the books are corny as hell as much as I love them (up to a point) but it wasn't a case of lets put sunglasses on him to make him look cooler. He earned them so to speak....Can't wait to watch this now.

Its based on the first Reacher novel The Killing Floor. An amazingly tight thriller by a debut Lee Child in my opinion. I was hooked from the first paragraph. Suspension of belief is a must in Reachers world. Just go along for the ride.

It's perfectly grand inconsequential popcorn stuff to buzz through like the Amazon Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series - very much in the same mould as that really.

Not surprised to see some of the same production companies in common across both series.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Lads and lassies, I've seen the first 3 episodes.. it's brilliant..

Richson is so chill..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not read any of the books and not seen any of the Cruise movies, so I'm coming into this without any prior insight. Having seen the first episode, I thought it was great fun. Looking forward to the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Sounds like this has pleased the fans which after all the earlier posts.. sounds like an achievment in itself 🙂

currently 8.8/10 on imdb and 87% critics 94% audience on rotten tomatoes

I might give it a go later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

on ep6 here myself and its a very good watchable tv.

Watched the first 2. Good casting for Reacher. He looks and mostly acts the part. As a big fan of the books and particularly The Killing Floor some of the scenes are awkwardly translated to screen. Anyone who has not read the book wouldn't notice and thats a good thing. Not a fan of the Roscoe character in this adaptation. She comes across as a doe eyed teen whos in love with Reacher from the start. Fight scenes were great. Short and brutal. Wasn't expecting the graphic scene of the crucifixtion to be shown so kudos for that.

Better than I was expecting. Hope it keeps up.

Roscoe in the book had dark hair but I guess blond works better 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Enjoyed that but now I want more. You'd have to expect them to announce S2 pretty swiftly, if it's not been done already.

Agree with the mention of the Roscoe casting. Might be the only minor negative I could throw at the series. I thought she was a bit petite for the role as I had this image of someone a bit taller/muscular than what we got. Felt they got Neaghley cast and portrayed very well.

I thought they got all of Reacher's (and other characters) nuances down to a tee. The line he walks between arrogance and confidence based on his physical presence and intellect/knowledge. The one line quips were delivered superbly. TC was too smiley in his portrayal, AR was far superior with his delivery imo.

Was the story around the dog in the book? Can't recall if it was.

Roscoe is fine. Jack Reacher: never go back biggest problem was Cobie Smulders.

Casting of TV series Ritchson is fine. When I saw the trailers I was expecting Joel Kinnaman levels of woodenness.

Amazon must be happy. It looks to be modest budget production filmed in Canada over three months receiving favourable reviews with enough traction for a second or third season.

That was a really enjoyable series and that is exactly how i pictured reacher in my mind when reading the books years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watched the first episode, and it was very watchable rubbish. Charismatic lead, good supporting cast and enough of a glint in its eye without dipping into nauseating smugness.

Not often though the lead is written the Smartest, Coolest and Most Competent Man in the Room. It shouldn't work, but charisma does a lot of the legwork here.

• Advertisement

Am I correct in thinking that Reacher can't drive in the books?

Advertisement