Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the penalties for an illegal eviction?

Options
  • 15-07-2019 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

Mod Note: Thread Split

What's the penalty if you just remove the tenants yourself and change the locks?

Pay the illegal eviction fine you'll get from the estate and be done with it?

EDIT: To clarify, I am not advocating you follow this approach.
    I was just curious as to what sort of penalties someone who tried to do this would face. I'm sure it occurs on occasion with landlords who don't exactly follow the legal options.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

salonfire wrote: »
    What's the penalty if you just remove the tenants yourself and change the locks?

Pay the illegal eviction fine you'll get from the estate and be done with it?

Potentially get hauled into court and told to let the tenants back in and with a bill for the legal costs. The beneficiaries might not take too kindly to having their inheritance squandered on legal costs.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/familys-home-rented-to-another-man-while-mother-collected-children-from-school-court-hears-36863744.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

As this is an interesting question in its own right, it deserves a thread of its own.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You'll be looking at paying the tenants' legal fees, plus their costs of securing alternative accommodation while they were locked out of their home, plus compensation for any other loss or damage they may have suffered as a result of the exclusion (e.g. if they can't access their possessions left in the home, or if their possessions are damaged by your handling of them). The costs of securing alternative accommodation will continue until they have access to their home again or until you terminate their right to possession of the property lawfully and effectively, as will any other damages that result from their exclusion, so there is no fixed cap to the amount you could be liable for here.

If you're an executor, these costs are not legitimately payable from the estate. You incurred them; you bear them.

Tl;dr: Don't do this. It won't end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It is their home though. It's my fecking property though so if they don't pay the rent there should be a quicker way of regaining possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,520 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If there’s no one in the house when the landlord goes to clean up after a tenant was meant to move it , and he puts all items in storage and changes the lock. Does that count as an eviction.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    If there’s no one in the house when the landlord goes to clean up after a tenant was meant to move it , and he puts all items in storage and changes the lock. Does that count as an eviction.

It depends on whether or not there is rent owed and if the tenant is still living there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

I've split the "is it a house or home" discussion to a new thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057997235

It is their home though. It's my fecking property though so if they don't pay the rent there should be a quicker way of regaining possession.
    Possibly there should be. But an illegal eviction is not that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

Apart from the fines in this climate you could end up like the dentist who killed cesil the lion

The chances.of 50 loons arriving is very possible at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

utmbuilder wrote: »
    Apart from the fines in this climate you could end up like the dentist who killed cesil the lion

The chances.of 50 loons arriving is very possible at the moment

A tad paranoid, but not beyond the realms of possibility

In relation to penalties, worse case scenario a huge fine and possibly your name published on RTB website and in print/online media That may still be less than the financial penalty incurred by leaving the tenant in situ for a year not paying rent. Best case scenario, tenant understands the importance of a reference and doesn’t want to be named on what is now the best database for unappealing tenants, the RTB website, so no penalty at all.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »

In relation to penalties, worse case scenario a huge fine and possibly your name published on RTB website and in print/online media That may still be less than the financial penalty incurred by leaving the tenant in situ for a year not paying rent. Best case scenario, tenant understands the importance of a reference and doesn’t want to be named on what is now the best database for unappealing tenants, the RTB website, so no penalty at all.

You could also be ordered to let the tenant back in and deal with the tenant according to the law. Your chances of the RTB being of any help subsequently would be very low. You would face further delays and masive legal costs in that scenario.

I don't know if there are any fines at all for evicting someone illegally but, even if there are, however great they are they are probably not the "worst case scenario". The worst case scenario is almost certainly having to compensate the tenant for the cost of securing alternative accommodation for the period for which the unlawful eviction continues, and paying other damages, which could certainly exceed the cost of simply not receiving rent for the same period.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    You could also be ordered to let the tenant back in and deal with the tenant according to the law. Your chances of the RTB being of any help subsequently would be very low. You would face further delays and masive legal costs in that scenario.

The RTB would be unable to prevent a subsequent legal eviction which no doubt would be set in motion immediately on the tenants return. Also, if the second eviction was legal, the RTB would be bound by their own rules, they could not rule a legal eviction is illegal, just because of previous performance.

If a tenant stops paying a €2k+ pm rent, knowing you are going to have to wait a year to legally evict apparently gives some pause for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

If people would chase their TDs or at least emailing them, maybe something would happen. Most do nothing though, just moan around on boards and waste the energy on meaningless, unproductive discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The RTB would be unable to prevent a subsequent legal eviction which no doubt would be set in motion immediately on the tenants return. Also, if the second eviction was legal, the RTB would be bound by their own rules, they could not rule a legal eviction is illegal, just because of previous performance.

If a tenant stops paying a €2k+ pm rent, knowing you are going to have to wait a year to legally evict apparently gives some pause for thought.

The landlord would have to go through the RTB. The RTB will be most unlikely to pay for the costs of any court enforcement of its orders. The landlord will be saddled with the costs of the initial injunction forcing him to take the tenant back in, plus, when eventually he gets an order, the costs of enforcing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Welcome to Bleeding hearland.

I can understand the sensitivity with our history of evictions, but the solution should be the ability to get an earnings attachment order so that threshold can't keep telling tenants to take the piss and overhold.

Welcome to Bleeding hearland.

I can understand the sensitivity with our history of evictions, but the solution should be the ability to get an earnings attachment order so that threshold can't keep telling tenants to take the piss and overhold.
    If you've got a judgment against somebody for unpaid rent, you can get an earnings attachment order. Or any of the other orders available for the enforcement of judgments.

However you might choose not to do this until after the (lawful) eviction. Once the rent has been collected you might have greater difficulty in evicting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Peregrinus wrote: »
    If you've got a judgment against somebody for unpaid rent, you can get an earnings attachment order. Or any of the other orders available for the enforcement of judgments.

However you might choose not to do this until after the (lawful) eviction. Once the rent has been collected you might have greater difficulty in evicting them.

You may choose not to seek a judgement as after spending a small fortune on legal costs and lost income and property damage while getting a legal eviction, you may not think its worth getting a judgement for €5 per week for the next 80 years as the judge will likely rule the rogue tenant cannot afford anything more than that.

How can anyone still believe landlords do not get financially destroyed by rogue tenants, and rogue tenants can just abandon their responsibilities without any implication.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

DubCount wrote: »

How can anyone still believe landlords do not get financially destroyed by rogue tenants, and rogue tenants can just abandon their responsibilities without any implication.

Sure they do. Some of them. But I had 4 illegal evictions from landlords in Dublin in 12 years despite paying rent on time every month for the 17 years I lived in Ireland, all because they over extended and were forced to sell. Tbh, you can whinge all you like about rogue tenants but I think you would find good tenants get taken for a ride, particularly in Ireland atm. Landlords are exploiting a market that suits them. Overholding is happening because of the chronic lack of accommodation in parts of Ireland.

You may choose not to seek a judgement as after spending a small fortune on legal costs and lost income and property damage while getting a legal eviction, you may not think its worth getting a judgement for €5 per week for the next 80 years as the judge will likely rule the rogue tenant cannot afford anything more than that.
    Well, that depends on the rogue tenant's means. Jammycrackcorn's suggestion of getting an earnings attachment order isn't of much use if a tenant doesn't have any earnings.

The bottom line here is that landlords are engaged in a commercial transaction in which the creditworthiness of the other party is, or should be, of great importance to them. The time to think about that is at the time you form the contract; there's not much can be done about it when the tenant defaults. I'm a landlord (though not in the Irish market); I pitch my target rent below what the market will bear so that I will have a wide choice of tenants. I look very carefully at the character, situation, references, etc of prospective tenants. If I have a satisfactory tenant, my rent increases are also below what the market will bear (or the law will permit). And I do all that because I got stung before by taking on a tenant who was, basically, fraudulent, and on whom I lost a great deal of money before I could get them out which, yes, involved court proceedings and eventually an eviction by the sheriff. Yes, I got a judgment against the tenant for the money owing. No, it was never collected. Burnt by that experience, the quality of tenants is really important to me, and I "invest" in that by accepting a lower immediate return than I could get, if I chose.

The thing is, business involves taking risks. The risk of a bad tenant is the landlord's risk to manage. If it goes bad, the losses accrue to the landlord but that's not wholly unreasonable given that, if it goes well, the profits accrue to the landlord. If I take on a tenant who doesn't have the means to satisfy a judgment, no court order is going to rectify that situation, and it's unreasonable to expect that it could.

And in an overheated market like Ireland's, where tenants are put to the pin of their collars to pay absurd rents, you should expect the rate of defaulting tenants to rise - when you're stretched to the limit, even a modest change in circumstances can lead to default. All the more reason, then, for landlords to think about this when they need to, and to be realistic about what court procedures can acheive after the problem has arisen.

• Advertisement

Calina wrote: »
    Sure they do. Some of them. But I had 4 illegal evictions from landlords in Dublin in 12 years despite paying rent on time every month for the 17 years I lived in Ireland, all because they over extended and were forced to sell. Tbh, you can whinge all you like about rogue tenants but I think you would find good tenants get taken for a ride, particularly in Ireland atm. Landlords are exploiting a market that suits them. Overholding is happening because of the chronic lack of accommodation in parts of Ireland.

I dont condone the actions of rogue landlords any more than I do those of rogue tenants. The best way to ensure landlords stay in line, is to make sure you have a decent supply of rental property - that way tenants can move if they run into a bad landlord. You wont get a decent supply of rental property while allowing rogue tenants to break the system like they currently can. Good tenants and good people are paying for the actions of the rogues.

The bottom line here is that landlords are engaged in a commercial transaction in which the creditworthiness of the other party is, or should be, of great importance to them.

That would be logical. However, someone thought of that already. So now, if a landlord seeks to rent only to someone with employment and financial means, they are guilty of discrimination against HAP recipients and liable to a significant fine from the WRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

This is what is wrong with current legislation.

There should be some time limit such as 90 or 120 days of non payment that automatically triggers an eviction clause without recourse to any other action.

If there's a dispute, a tenant could pay into an escrow account.

It would only affect a tiny number of tenants who take the proverbial, but it would be a good safety net for landlords

And, posters have often complained about being asked to show proof of earnings/savings when applying for a rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

That would be logical. However, someone thought of that already. So now, if a landlord seeks to rent only to someone with employment and financial means, they are guilty of discrimination against HAP recipients and liable to a significant fine from the WRC.

Creditworthiness of both parties is critical. I would, in Dublin, like to see how,many landlords want to share their accounts with tenants to show they are not in danger of repossession.

Calina wrote: »
    Creditworthiness of both parties is critical. I would, in Dublin, like to see how,many landlords want to share their accounts with tenants to show they are not in danger of repossession.

Tenant’s rights are not effected by repossession, the bank/receiver has to abide by RTA so the owners financial standing is not the concern of the tenant.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

What if the tenant gets a bee in his bonnet and breaks a window or lock to get back in?

Big can of worms will be opened either way.

Tenant’s rights are not effected by repossession, the bank/receiver has to abide by RTA so the owners financial standing is not the concern of the tenant.
    They are not directly affected by repossession, in that the tenant has the same rights against the receiver as he had against the landlord. But, realistically, it changes things a lot. Following a repossession the bank is almost certain to want to sell, and therefore will want to terminate the tenancy, and has the right to do so, and that's obviously something that could significantly adversely affect the tenant. So, yeah, if a tenant knew that a landlord was financially stressed and facing insolvency, that should negatively affect his willingness to rent from that landlord. If it doesn't, that just underlines the relative powerlessness of tenants in landlord/tenant negotiations in the current market.

Limpy wrote: »
    What if the tenant gets a bee in his bonnet and breaks a window or lock to get back in?

Big can of worms will be opened either way.
    The tenant is entitled to enter the property (assuming his tenancy has not been terminated).

In general if the tenant damages the property, e.g. by breaking a window, he needs to make good that damage before delivering up the property at the conclusion of the tenancy, or he is liable to the landlord for the cost of doing so. But in this case, obviously, he'd have a counterclaim against the landlord for wrongly denying him possession of the property during the tenancy, and that counterclaim would extend (among other things) to the cost of repairing a window which the tenant had to break to gain access to the property.

• Advertisement

They are not directly affected by repossession, in that the tenant has the same rights against the receiver as he had against the landlord. But, realistically, it changes things a lot. Following a repossession the bank is almost certain to want to sell, and therefore will want to terminate the tenancy, and has the right to do so, and that's obviously something that could significantly adversely affect the tenant. So, yeah, if a tenant knew that a landlord was financially stressed and facing insolvency, that should negatively affect his willingness to rent from that landlord. If it doesn't, that just underlines the relative powerlessness of tenants in landlord/tenant negotiations in the current market.

This is no different than a Landlord deciding to sell. Tenants are by no means powerless in the current market, to say so is naive and shows a lack of understanding in the rental market. The RTA offers more protection to a tenant than a landlord, an overholding, or non paying tenant is far more difficult to remove, and the LL has far more to lose than a tenant in terms of financial penalties.

Advertisement