Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So sick of bank of ireland

• 16-07-2019 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Since 12 th July every single transaction on my account as per my banking app. There appears to be 300 quid missing from my account.

Today I got texts to say I had debits due and I needed to put money in when there was more than enough in there.

What banks out there have an accurate online banking app that shows correct information and does not Rob you blind in fees

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Do you need an Irish account? I've switched to N26.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Since 12 th July every single transaction on my account as per my banking app. There appears to be 300 quid missing from my account.

Today I got texts to say I had debits due and I needed to put money in when there was more than enough in there.

What banks out there have an accurate online banking app that shows correct information and does not Rob you blind in fees
    300 is lot. Never had that experience with the app. Generally up to date in my experience. Have you looked through your transactions and statements online via laptop/computer? Or you could just call them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

is_that_so wrote: »
    300 is lot. Never had that experience with the app. Generally up to date in my experience. Have you looked through your transactions and statements online via laptop/computer? Or you could just call them.

You would think a phone call would help, but you'd be wrong.

I made an expensive purchase on Friday the 12th on my Visa Debit, which still has not appeared on 365online. Yesterday I called, and after 15 minutes mostly on hold, I was told that the transaction went through fine, I shouldn't worry about it. What I do worry about is that at this point I have to keep track of the balance in my head, which you're not supposed to do.

Their system has been on the fritz since Friday, but they won't admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Wheety wrote: »
    Do you need an Irish account? I've switched to N26.

Yes I need an Irish account. I have a UK account with barclays and its far superior. I would continue to use that if I could.

I have ADHD and DCD. I check this is one area I'm struggling with is keeping track especially on a joint account.

I realised it was wrong on Friday evening and yesterday getting texts saying I had no funds in the account when I knew there was more than enough money in there.

I had figured it was 300 down, it was nearly 370.

When I rang them yesterday the girl I spoke to was clueless and she couldn't explain it to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I moved to KBC years ago. Never looked back. You ring the number and a human answers. Only issue is lodging sterling which happens once in a blue moon and I can now use Revolut for that.

• Advertisement

JoyPad wrote: »

I made an expensive purchase on Friday the 12th on my Visa Debit, which still has not appeared on 365online. Yesterday I called, and after 15 minutes mostly on hold, I was told that the transaction went through fine, I shouldn't worry about it. What I do worry about is that at this point I have to keep track of the balance in my head, which you're not supposed to do.

Thank you. It was the same the week before since the Thursday to about last Wednesday too.

It's just not good enough

It was more than 300 by the time they rectified it today.

It was their duplicate transactions, which they say doesn't affect the balance but it does.

I do a weekly food shop on a Thursday and if I hadn't I probably would have been k ackered over the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

JoyPad wrote: »

I use their app and not experiencing it being on the fritz
    It looks like the company you made the big purchase with haven't claimed the funds yet and just have a hold on them like a pre auth that a hotel takes when you check in
    You lose access to the funds involved but it won't appear on the statement online

That's the company's fault that you bought from, not bank of Ireland

That's normal by the way if a business does it that way,it would happen to you in any bank
    You'd want to be careful with the text you got because something will bounce
    You have until the 330pm deadline to lodge

stimpson wrote: »
    I moved to KBC years ago. Never looked back. You ring the number and a human answers. Only issue is lodging sterling which happens once in a blue moon and I can now use Revolut for that.

I will be transferring sterling quite a bit over the next year. What is the issue with sterling

Mortelaro wrote: »
    It looks like the company you made the big purchase with haven't claimed the funds yet and just have a hold on them like a pre auth that a hotel takes when you check in
    You lose access to the funds involved but it won't appear on the statement online

That's normal by the way if a business does it that way,it would happen to you in any bank

It was definitely the banks issue.

2 withdrawals from a bank of ireland atm.

4 direct debits to insurance ( 2x car, 1 House and 1 pet)

1 direct debit to mobile phone

Standing order from my account to my sons savings account

All of the above duplicated

Car transactions undertaken Friday did not show until today, not even in pending transactions.

Even at the time they sent the text there were more than sufficient funds in the account to cover the dds, even with the balance being wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I will be transferring sterling quite a bit over the next year. What is the issue with sterling

You can’t lodge sterling. I use a Revolut card and it has a UK IBAN and you can convert to euro at interbank rates. Saves a fortune on commission. Worth looking at if you do a lot of conversion, regardless of who you bank with.

It was definitely the banks issue.

2 withdrawals from a bank of ireland atm.

4 direct debits to insurance ( 2x car, 1 House and 1 pet)

1 direct debit to mobile phone

Standing order from my account to my sons savings account

All of the above duplicated

Car transactions undertaken Friday did not show until today, not even in pending transactions.

I've had the duplicated transactions alright before to be fair,it happens when they update their systems overnight
    But don't conflate any pre auth issues with that because that's where you'd get caught and have no come back
    The Friday purchase does look like it started as a pre auth from your description

I've had the duplicated transactions alright before to be fair,it happens when they update their systems overnight
    But don't conflate any pre auth issues with that because that's where you'd get caught and have no come back
    The Friday purchase does look like it started as a pre auth from your description

That doesn't explain the duplicate transactions on dd's etc, all over the weekend and including yesterday

The whole Thing does not work and there is no need to
    Put up with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I have similar issues with BOI and my online banking account, could use my card on a Thursday, would check my balance throughout the weekend and into the following week and then bang I'm hit with transactions on a Tuesday or Thursday on the following week. It's pretty unreliable, at this stage I have to clock everything I buy in my own head to make sure I don't overspend and go into arrears on my account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That doesn't explain the duplicate transactions on dd's etc, all over the weekend and including yesterday

The whole Thing does not work and there is no need to
    Put up with it
    The duplicates you see is the system updating. I've asked them about that and it makes sense. Usually all reset and resolved by the end of that business day.

The duplicates you see is the system updating. I've asked them about that and it makes sense. Usually all reset and resolved by the end of that business day.

It's unacceptable all over a weekend and when it affects the available balance and leaving someone out of pocket in excess of 300 quid is not good enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

Of the big two with branch networks AIB has has way better technology.

I use N26 for most things but I keep an AIB account too for access to physical banking which can be handy if you need to lodge a cheque or something.

BOI seem stoneage. I mean they can't even support mobile payments.

No Apple Pay, Google Pay or Fitbit Pay.

It's unacceptable all over a weekend and when it affects the available balance and leaving someone out of pocket in excess of 300 quid is not good enough

I don't think the duplicates affect your available balance
    Pre auths do and rightly so

I don't think the duplicates affect your available balance
    Pre auths do and rightly so

On this occasion they did. Last lodgement to my account was last Thursday. Today my balance is nearly 400 more than it was yesterday.

To be honest at this stage I'm actually afraid to take anything out. Its ludicrous really.

Are we actually expected to keep spreadsheets and literly record every time we use our cards etc to know exactly how much we have in the bank on every occasion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

Best way to avoid that issue is to save up a buffer in your current account; at least a month's worth of expenses is ideal. That way you don't have to worry about overdrafting even if you have a payroll issue at work or a direct debit accidentally double-debits you or something, and definitely don't have to worry about your day to day incidental purchases putting you below zero balance.

Edit: Alternatively, you could always go old-school and withdraw all your spending money for each pay period in cash and then you know exactly what you've taken out. Or go really old-school and whip out the ol' cheque register (if you kids even know what that is... :pac: ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 DARREN26

I had a good few transitions last week wasn’t sure how much was left in my account Friday nite I checked my balance withdrew 200 thinking should be close enough it put me overdrawn but they charged me a referral charge on all the transactions not the one that put me overdrawn but by the end in all the contactless payments card payments and other withdrawals even when was in credit have nearly 200 in charges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Are we actually expected to keep spreadsheets and literly record every time we use our cards etc to know exactly how much we have in the bank on every occasion

That's exactly what I do because the BoI online info is so unreliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Gooser14

dennyk wrote:
    Edit: Alternatively, you could always go old-school and withdraw all your spending money for each pay period in cash and then you know exactly what you've taken out. Or go really old-school and whip out the ol' cheque register (if you kids even know what that is... ).

Or get yourself a Revolut card & transfer your spending money to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Jaklmex

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Or get yourself a Revolut card & transfer your spending money to that.

Handiest way

BOI balance is a nightmare to track ,doesn't matter how they spin it

On this occasion they did. Last lodgement to my account was last Thursday. Today my balance is nearly 400 more than it was yesterday.

To be honest at this stage I'm actually afraid to take anything out. Its ludicrous really.

You're supposed to know if that 400 balance difference was caused by a merchant,
    You won't have got a text because your lodgement was duplicated
    If the merchant is set up to just take a pre auth,then that's not the banks fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I don't think all banks work that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

dennyk wrote: »
    Best way to avoid that issue is to save up a buffer in your current account; at least a month's worth of expenses is ideal. That way you don't have to worry about overdrafting even if you have a payroll issue at work or a direct debit accidentally double-debits you or something, and definitely don't have to worry about your day to day incidental purchases putting you below zero balance.

Edit: Alternatively, you could always go old-school and withdraw all your spending money for each pay period in cash and then you know exactly what you've taken out. Or go really old-school and whip out the ol' cheque register (if you kids even know what that is... :pac: ).

The solution would be to use a bank that can provide basic banking services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

FREE EBS Money Manager linked to Revolut -nobody should be paying and yes I mean nobody should be paying for a Current Account.

McGaggs wrote: »
    I don't think all banks work that way.

The pre auth? It's a hoor with Visa debit
    Can take a week to come off

• Advertisement
Advertisement