Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone do rat catching with ferrets in Dundalk??

Options
  • 16-07-2019 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

We had rats under our decking so we ripped it up a few weeks ago.
    They've now found their way into our house -(appearing under the bath upstairs) and our neighbours.
    We have blocked up all holes, both houses had rat flaps fitted, had pest control out etc...
    We are catching then in traps under the bath but we still don't know how they're getting in.
    Does anyone around Dundalk area do rat catching with ferrets?
    We are at our wits end now and have kids in the house

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

We had rats under our decking so we ripped it up a few weeks ago.
    They've now found their way into our house -(appearing under the bath upstairs) and our neighbours.
    We have blocked up all holes, both houses had rat flaps fitted, had pest control out etc...
    We are catching then in traps under the bath but we still don't know how they're getting in.
    Does anyone around Dundalk area do rat catching with ferrets?
    We are at our wits end now and have kids in the house

Awful situation you are in. Pulling up the decking probably wasn't the best route to take. Should have got numbers under control first. But yes, hindsight is a great thing I know.

Don't know if ferrets would sort the problem for you. They certainly won't in the house. My advise is to keep the traps down, both inside and outside. Set plenty of them too. Try find where their getting in. Yes, hard task. Could be several places they can get in from.Once you get on top of them, you have too source and remove their food supply, and remove their cover. Those are the two things rats need to thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

I feel for you - not a nice situation to be in.

A friend of mine had a similar problem.

They had burrowed through a cracked clay pipe in sewer and come up under suspended floor.
    A plumber friend put a smoke pellet down the sewer and he saw where the smoke was entering the room - pinpointed where they were coming in.
    • Is your house old....could it have clay sewer pipes?
    • Doe the house have a suspended wooden floor down stairs?

If so - maybe puit a smoke pellet down the sewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I've hunted with ferrets many years ago and they are a great way to get rid of rats. Even the mere smell of the ferret is enough to scare rats away and keep them away.

As already mentioned the most important thing to keep in mind is make sure there is no food supply for the rats, they won't hang around anywhere unless there is food. nearby.

Buy a ferret yourself and leave it in a cage in the bathroom for a couple of days or anywhere else the rats visit and the rats will leg it.

Ferrets make great little pets once they get used to you handling them.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement